FL - Jessica Lunsford, 9, abducted & murdered, Homosassa, 27 Feb 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
think a mod would be willing to place a link to this thread in the couey trial forum? just a new closed thread that says sentencing and a link here or something? that way in the years to come as appeal after appeal comes up and we have people search back on the crime they will find it all together. just a idea. up to them of course.

We can't post once the threads are in archives. We can edit them, but not post. Most posters know to look here for updates.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=b66c98d1-39be-4b72-b6cf-79d8fd891893
INVERNESS -- The father of kidnapping and murder victim Jessica Lunsford has filed a letter of intent to sue the Citrus County Sheriff's Office, the County Commission, and the Florida department of Law Enforcement for negligence.

In a certified letter to Sheriff Jeffrey Dawsy, lawyers for Mark Lunsford spell out his intent to sue for "harm suffered because of the reliance upon the express promise or assurance of assistance which was carried out in a negligent manner, which placed Jessica Lunsford in a foreseeable zone of risk."

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=b66c98d1-39be-4b72-b6cf-79d8fd891893
INVERNESS -- The father of kidnapping and murder victim Jessica Lunsford has filed a letter of intent to sue the Citrus County Sheriff's Office, the County Commission, and the Florida department of Law Enforcement for negligence.

In a certified letter to Sheriff Jeffrey Dawsy, lawyers for Mark Lunsford spell out his intent to sue for "harm suffered because of the reliance upon the express promise or assurance of assistance which was carried out in a negligent manner, which placed Jessica Lunsford in a foreseeable zone of risk."

If Mark Lunsford has a case then he should sue.

In that article linked above I clicked on:

Will John Couey be forgiven and go to heaven? Two religious leaders say he can.
Watch ABC Action News Friday night at 11:00 to find out why.

My only thought was....if he goes to heaven, I'll pass. :furious:

I love Mark Lunsford because of the work he's done working for laws against child sexual abusers. I hope I am reading the article correctly because I was of the opinion that the sheriff's department worked hard on Jessie's case.

About the heaven and hell thing, how can they say Couey could go to heaven?
He can repent all day long but no one knows if God will accept his repentance ......do they? Some sins are just too terrible to be forgiven...especially sex abuse against children.

I love Mark Lunsford because of what he's done for laws against child sexual abusers. I hope I am reading the article correctly because I was of the opinion that the sheriff's department worked hard on Jessie's case.

About the heaven and hell thing, how can they say Couey could go to heaven?
He can repent all day long but no one knows if God will accept his repentance ......do they? Some sins are just too terrible to be forgiven...especially sex abuse against children.
thank you- you said what i was thinking- but better
I love Mark- but I think I may now be disappointed-
I will have to think about this :confused:

Orthodox Christianity says that he can, if he repents. His eternal life is then based upon Jesus Christ's atonement, and not his own worthiness. As awful as that sounds, it is the foundation of Christianity. If his repentance and his acceptance of Christ are sincere, then again, according to the Gospels and Epistles of the New Testament, his salvation is assured.

The Apostle Paul before his conversion to Christianity was responsible for the deaths of many early Christian martyrs, in his zeal to wipe out what he saw as blasphemy. This is why Paul wrote, "Abraham believed, and it was credited unto him as righteousness." It is the grace of God, rather than the works of man, that assure eternal life. It is not about how bad Couey is, but rather, how very, very, good God is. Compared to that--again, according to orthodox Christianity--none of us could make it. Think of it as the Grand Canyon--some of us are better at long distance jumping, but none of us could make it on our own.

If Couey doesn't show signs of repentance and a changed life, then of course, none of us have anything to worry about. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and all that--

I hope Lunsford can find some peace or small compensation for his sufferings.

If I am remembering correctly, didn't LE go to Couey's house during the time frame that Jessica could have still been alive? I know that LE has to follow the letter of the law, but I believe that in the case of a missing child, every known child molesters home should be searched thoroughly. I can't say that I blame Mark for suing. Just my opinion, but so many kids fall prey to these sickos and I think we should stop at nothing to protect our kids.

It looks like I'm the lone ranger again (maybe I should be getting used to that by now). I've never cared for Mark Lunsford and feel like he was smitten with being in the spotlight. I'm sorry for the pain he and his family went through in losing Jessie, but is it really the fault of the police? Sheesh, when do the lawsuits stop? I'm tired of seeing people try to find someone to blame. This is life and happens. It isn't always a third party's fault. John Couey is the villian here.

If I am remembering correctly, didn't LE go to Couey's house during the time frame that Jessica could have still been alive? .....

You are absolutely right. LE went to the trailer that Couey was staying in. When LE went there Couey had little Jessie there too.

If I am remembering correctly, didn't LE go to Couey's house during the time frame that Jessica could have still been alive? I know that LE has to follow the letter of the law, but I believe that in the case of a missing child, every known child molesters home should be searched thoroughly. I can't say that I blame Mark for suing. Just my opinion, but so many kids fall prey to these sickos and I think we should stop at nothing to protect our kids.

They didn't know John Couey was living there. I think it was his sister's place and she lied to the cops -- IIRC.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008/02/21/parents_of_slain_girl_plan_to_sue_sheriff/5238/

The parents of a Florida girl killed by a neighbor say the Citrus County Sheriff's Office contributed to her death by failing to find her in time to save her.

SNIP from the same article:
"We have evidence that sheriff's office was negligent in conducting its investigation during the crucial time when Jessica was alive," the parent's lawyer, Eric Block, wrote in the notice.

John Dawsy, the Citrus County sheriff, said he was "surprised and disappointed" by the lawsuit.

I know Mark L. is probably still greiving and angry but the sheriff's dept isn't to blame IMO.
They did everything they could to find Jessica...it's not like they purposely overlooked the place where she was being held.

The only thing that I could ever find to fault LE about was that they didn't go into the house that Coeuy was living in but then again I don't think that they could without being invited in. Did they ask to go in or did they..at that time..even suspect that Jesse might be there? I guess it is just so horrible because she was right there all of the time but who could have known that?
I have always thought that the LE involved with Jesse's disappearance really did a great job trying to find her.

How about the fact that Coeuy wasn't registered anywhere? Or that he should have been in prison but wasn't? I don't know but I can't see any reason why Mark should sue LE. I truly understand what he has been through and the pain he lives with but I don't think LE is the target. Maybe he knows something that I don't though.

Orthodox Christianity says that he can, if he repents. His eternal life is then based upon Jesus Christ's atonement, and not his own worthiness. As awful as that sounds, it is the foundation of Christianity. If his repentance and his acceptance of Christ are sincere, then again, according to the Gospels and Epistles of the New Testament, his salvation is assured....

Well said, Texana. But it doesn't sound awful to me. The transformative promise of Christianty does not leave any sincere person behind. And, of course, that is one of the most beautiful things about it.

I suspect Heaven, as an actual state, is peopled with souls who have sinned grievously, but have repented. I love the thought of a Heaven like that, because I too am a sinner and have missed the mark.

I would be interested in what Lunsford's attorneys have to say about his case. I'm not given to lobbing stones at men and women who search for lost children, but if something in the procedure of LE who searched for Jessica is subpar, it could not hurt to bring that to light. My blessings and love to Mark Lunsford, who bears a burden I cannot fully imagine.

Couey bears an unimaginable burden as well. Has he repented and reformed? We will never know. But it is not uncommon for pastors of the Christian tradition to assert that he too could find grace and forgiveness.

The only thing that I could ever find to fault LE about was that they didn't go into the house that Coeuy was living in but then again I don't think that they could without being invited in. Did they ask to go in or did they..at that time..even suspect that Jesse might be there? I guess it is just so horrible because she was right there all of the time but who could have known that?

The PD did their best to track Couey down but they were being lied to by Couey's sister and the crack heads she lived with. Their trailer was searched but they found no sign of Couey and no sign of Jessica. Unfortunately, they neglected to look in the one closet where Couey was supposedly holding Jessie. :(

I wonder why he waited so long though to sue? I would have done this a long time ago.......I feel bad for the man. To know they searched that trailer while little Jessica was still alive and having to hide in the closet just kills me. I still don't understand how he was able to bury her (alive - still can't deal with that) without anyone seeing him and all those le int he area.....

I wonder why he waited so long though to sue? I would have done this a long time ago.......I feel bad for the man. To know they searched that trailer while little Jessica was still alive and having to hide in the closet just kills me. I still don't understand how he was able to bury her (alive - still can't deal with that) without anyone seeing him and all those le int he area.....

Me too, kk - it's awful. But do we know she was in that closet when LE searched. I mean that's Couey's story, but some of those involved in LE say they believe Jessica was killed the night she was stolen and that evidence does not support some of Couey's statements that she was kept alive for days.

Now, that said, if LE actually got into that trailer and didn't search every single closet, room, drawer, cabinet and under the darned thing, that doesn't sound like great police work to me.

Well said, Texana. But it doesn't sound awful to me. The transformative promise of Christianty does not leave any sincere person behind. And, of course, that is one of the most beautiful things about it.

I suspect Heaven, as an actual state, is peopled with souls who have sinned grievously, but have repented. I love the thought of a Heaven like that, because I too am a sinner and have missed the mark.

I would be interested in what Lunsford's attorneys have to say about his case. I'm not given to lobbing stones at men and women who search for lost children, but if something in the procedure of LE who searched for Jessica is subpar, it could not hurt to bring that to light. My blessings and love to Mark Lunsford, who bears a burden I cannot fully imagine.

Couey bears an unimaginable burden as well. Has he repented and reformed? We will never know. But it is not uncommon for pastors of the Christian tradition to assert that he too could find grace and forgiveness.

You're right SCM, it's really not awful. Most days I find it wonderful! '

I think also when we think about being in heaven perhaps with people such as Couey, we imagine them as they are now. He won't be like that if he's in heaven. He'll be the man God always intended him to be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back