FL FL - Justin Walker & Brian McCluney, overdue fishermen on boat, Port Canaveral, 16 Aug 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That boat seems fairly small too. That area of disturbance was being watched for development into a tropical system. I remember hearing the report from Weather Channel and the concerns. It wasn't supposed to come ashore, instead head up the coast and out to sea. Scary it seems they were in the same area.
Back in 95 I sport fished off the coast of Palm Beach, the Gulf Stream was only 1-2 miles out.Usually had no reason to go farther than not seeing land.Some fisherman would travel to the Bahamas in a boat that size but I would not chance it.I would never go out that far in a boat with mechanical issues let alone iffy weather taking place nearby.
I am currently searching for personal beacons for a loved one who boats alone.

Back in 95 I sport fished off the coast of Palm Beach, the Gulf Stream was only 1-2 miles out.Usually had no reason to go farther than not seeing land.Some fisherman would travel to the Bahamas in a boat that size but I would not chance it.I would never go out that far in a boat with mechanical issues let alone iffy weather taking place nearby.
I am currently searching for personal beacons for a loved one who boats alone.
My son has a boat that he takes out most weekends - off of Long Island, NY. He stays in the bay though. Said the one time he tried the ocean, it was much different, rough and choppy... Scared him a little. He is still learning as he just bought the boat in April. His boat IS larger than the one pictured for the men, though but he doesn't feel it's seaworthy. And definitely not in any kind of weather.

Last edited:
Well... that is the coolest site!!!!!! Who knew you could look at all the planes in the air.....where they are going and even what they look like....I'm amazed! Don't know the answer to your question though...I just found one plane that was marked "blocked" and I have no idea why they would do that. That one WAS right in the search area though.
Corporate jets will often block their flight info. They don't want competitors to know where they are flying, sometimes for the security of their executives and sometimes to keep pending acquisitions or business deals quiet.

[URL="https://twitter.com/USCGSoutheast/status/1163958817211727873"]USCGSoutheast on Twitter[/URL]
#UPDATE 15: @USCG crews will be searching through the night for the overdue @PortCanaveral boaters. The search has covered 69,000 sq miles with an est 182 hrs of searches. USCG and partner crews will search through the night w/ surface and air assets. Image shows today’s searches
ECc1iVcXYAEOv4z.png

7:39 PM - 20 Aug 2019

The Jacksonville Fire and Rescue captain on the boat said Brian McCluney, a firefighter and paramedic with JFRD, is the type of man who would do anything for anyone.

His fellow firefighters said they want to make sure they keep that mentality and do everything they can to bring home McCluney and Justin Walker, a firefighter from Fairfax, Virginia.

The boat that News4Jax went on Tuesday afternoon with JFRD firefighters left from the Mayport boat ramp and went about 6 miles offshore.

Firefighters said the conditions there were good for searching. The water was calm, giving crews good visibility on the water.

His fellow firefighters said they want to make sure they keep that mentality and do everything they can to bring home McCluney and Justin Walker, a firefighter from Fairfax, Virginia.

Other JFRD crews said they located 24 targets, including a cooler top, in the water Tuesday. The Coast Guard said it was not clear if the cooler top belongs to the two missing firefighters.

When asked if there was anything he would like McCluney and Walker to know, JFRD Capt. William Hood said, "Just know that everyone is out looking for him. We’re not giving up. He’ll be found.”

JFRD said they are going to need more volunteers to assist in the search Wednesday. Boaters can call 904-813-5315 and volunteers can call 904-763-9747. Donations can be made at JFRD.com.

The Coast Guard said it's a "race against time" to make sure McCluney and Walker are brought home safe.
What it's like for Jacksonville firefighters to search for one of their own

*Community comes together to search, pray for missing JFRD, Fairfax firefighters

From the article:

[...]

Walker, 33, is a Vero Beach native who works for the Fairfax County Fire Department in Fairfax, Virginia, where he lives with his wife. He graduated from Indian River Charter High School in 2004 before attending Palm Beach Atlantic University, where he befriended Brian's wife Stephanie.

She introduced the two and sparked their friendship.

[...]

For the past six years, Brian has worked for the Jacksonville Fire Department in Jacksonville, where he lives with his wife Stephanie and children, 8-year-old BM and 6-year-old CM.

On top of receiving extensive survival training in the Navy, the Brevard native did two tours of duty in Iraq and was awarded a Purple Heart when he was struck by a piece of shrapnel overseas, his mother said.

[...]

From the article:

[...]

Walker, 33, is a Vero Beach native who works for the Fairfax County Fire Department in Fairfax, Virginia, where he lives with his wife. He graduated from Indian River Charter High School in 2004 before attending Palm Beach Atlantic University, where he befriended Brian's wife Stephanie.

She introduced the two and sparked their friendship.

[...]

For the past six years, Brian has worked for the Jacksonville Fire Department in Jacksonville, where he lives with his wife Stephanie and children, 8-year-old BM and 6-year-old CM.

On top of receiving extensive survival training in the Navy, the Brevard native did two tours of duty in Iraq and was awarded a Purple Heart when he was struck by a piece of shrapnel overseas, his mother said.

[...]

BBM:

I was just thinking the other day of that case from 4 years ago of Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos, the 14-year-old boys from Jupiter, FL that went out boating and got caught in a bad storm.

Sadly, in that case, neither of the boys' bodies were ever recovered, although their boat was eventually found.

Hoping and praying for a different outcome here.

Obviously, it's not looking good.

Tragic to contemplate losing men of such obvious caliber and character.

JMO.

Last edited:
BBM:

I was just thinking the other day of that case from 4 years ago of Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos, the 14-year-old boys from Jupiter, FL that went out boating and got caught in a bad storm.

Sadly, in that case, neither of the boys' bodies were ever recovered, although their boat was eventually found.

Hoping and praying for a different outcome here.

Obviously, it's not looking good.

Tragic to contemplate losing men of such obvious caliber and character.

JMO.
I had to look that one up, GK. Gut-wrenching. :(

I've been feeding off the optimism of these families in this case but I'm really starting to worry. MOO

Wednesday will be critical in the search for two missing firefighters at sea. As crews begin their fifth day of searching, the U.S. Coast Guard says it's a race against time that is getting broader.

With no major clues found on Tuesday, the search on Wednesday will stretch north, where the current would take a stranded boat or anyone in the water.

Dozens of boaters will line up once again up at sunrise Wednesday to begin another day searching for Brian McCluney, who works for the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department, and Justin Walker, a firefighter from Fairfax, Virginia. Crews will leave out of Mayport, Brunswick, and Savannah to find the two men who met years ago in the fire academy.

Vlaun said 12,600 square miles of ocean from Jacksonville north to Savannah was covered Tuesday by Coast Guard, Customs and Board Patrol and Navy aircraft and with three cutters. State and local agencies boats along with private boats and aircraft were also searching coastal waters.

This is in addition to the 46,800 square miles of ocean searched by Monday night. According to the Coast Guard, as of Tuesday evening, the search had covered 69,000 square miles, with an estimated 182 hours of searches.

"The next 24 hours are absolutely critical, and I can't put it any clearer than that," Vlaun said. "We are going to continue to throw everything we have at this until we reach a point where we know we can’t be successful.”Some of the search crews, including the Coast Guard, remained on the water and in the air overnight.
Day 5: Search intensifies, expands north, for missing firefighters

My son in law is a Lt. firefighter paramedic. I am always worried he will be hurt because he is the first one into a fire to search for residents. Firefighters are so brave and care so much about their communities. I’m broken hearted when I hear about victims he has had to rescue that were dead upon arrival. I know he has come home to my daughter and broke down several times. I’m so proud of our Firefighters and am touched when I read how fellow firefighters are so involved in the search.They deserve our praise. I’m praying these two firefighters are rescued.

Okay, it's probably been addressed and I've just missed it so I apologize if so but were either of these guys carrying cell phones?
There was a mention in one article about someone getting a "ping" during the day, I believe on Friday, and it was suspected it was
from one of the victim's phones. I'll see if I can find anything else.

One of the main reasons McCluney and Walker were taking the fishing boat out for the day was to honor Brian McCluney's recently-departed father, Stephanie McCluney said.

"[Brian] wanted to get those lines wet one more time. You know, one big final hurrah for his dad and it was just supposed to be one great day in his honor … he was excited to get out there on the water," said Stephanie McCluney.
Rescuers cling to hope of finding two missing firefighters off coast of Florida

My son has a boat that he takes out most weekends - off of Long Island, NY. He stays in the bay though. Said the one time he tried the ocean, it was much different, rough and choppy... Scared him a little. He is still learning as he just bought the boat in April. His boat IS larger than the one pictured for the men, though but he doesn't feel it's seaworthy. And definitely not in any kind of weather.

I too was surprised that these guys would take a single engine 22' boat 20 or 30 miles offshore with no electronics, and a center console style at that (absolutely no protection from the weather)! We take our boat out too, my husband's beloved older twin engine 28' Steiger Pilot House and basically just stay in the bay. When my husband and his buddies go sport fishing, they'll sometimes take it out the Barnegat inlet to the Atlantic but he makes sure he still sees land, has a gps and cell service.

Unfortunately, it appears that their boat was not equipped to go so far offshore without a marine radio and flares.

Praying these guys are found safe!

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214