GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It does seem rather astonishing that between the potential for Bowie defending himself and the amount of stabbing that this person did that they did not leave any DNA either from a cut or even touch DNA. Seems almost unbelievable really.

Again, it reminded me of "Jayme Closs case", and I went back to review some articles. The perpetrator had actually shaved his head when he was planning the kidnapping, to minimize any DNA at the scene.
Jayme Closs's Alleged Kidnapper Shaved His Head Before Murders So He Wouldn't Leave DNA: Police

From my personal perspective, what the killer did to KJ shows the killer's derangement rather than his knife skills. It's kind of like how any teenager can legibly carve their initials into a tree trunk with a pocket knife. Same goes for medical know-how. From the autopsy, it strikes me more that he was working criss-cross, back and forth, following more visible anatomical lines and structural targets vs anything specific to intended internal organs or knife handling prowess. That's just my very amateur opinion, though.

Things that still bother me…..

1. APD knows the stress EC is going through with the threats and bullying online. If she is not a suspect, then WHY can they not tell people that? Why are they refusing to clear her, if she is not on their radar? They clear people all of the time if there is concrete proof of their alibi…

2. Why aren’t they releasing the dogs necropsy? Surely that cannot take longer than a human autopsy. <modsnip: Rumors are not allowed at Websleuths>

3. LE seems to think it was a familiar connection, and not a serial killer. (It’s not a SK!) They’ve said this time and time again. This is not a Jack the Ripper, this is not the guy that stabbed the teen. With all due respect to your theories, if you read all the articles and listen to the Police press conferences, you will see that they seem confident that it’s someone who knew her.

If anyone is a lawyer or LE, please comment and explain to me why after 7 months they are unable to give a little relief to EC.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pandasleuth2 I am not an attorney or LEO. But, I personally don't think that I would go to that park or anywhere in Atlanta at night until this case is solved.

As for not clearing anyone, at least EC is not identified as a POI.

Perhaps, I am too paranoid now about crime. I no longer run, outside, even in the daytime. I am very careful about everything now. As we should all be aware, the world is a different place now. Stay vigilant.

SBM
This was one of the 1st press conferences given that mentioned KJ's & B's murder. I snipped the points from the conference as a guide for me.
Mayor Bottoms Addresses Crime and COVID-19 Crises
August 4, 2021 6:30 AM

By:
  • Amanda Andrews
  • Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms spoke in a press conference Tuesday morning about how COVID-19 is causing a spike in crime which the city hasn’t seen in decades, including a recent stabbing murder of a woman and her dog in Atlanta's Piedmont Park.

Bottoms emphasized the importance of limiting misinformation around crime and COVID-19.

Rumors circulated online last week that FBI involvement in the Piedmont murder case suggested it involved a serial killer. But Bottoms said there is no evidence to support that claim or claims the murder was a hate crime.

She said addressing dangerous misinformation online takes police time away from investigating.

Reports show the majority of violent crimes in the city are between people who know each other, which is why the recent homicide in Piedmont Park is considered so unique, Bottoms said.

Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant said the unusual nature of the murder is why he called upon the FBI to provide additional resources for the investigation.

1. APD knows the stress EC is going through with the threats and bullying online. If she is not a suspect, then WHY can they not tell people that? Why are they refusing to clear her, if she is not on their radar? They clear people all of the time if there is concrete proof of their alibi…

2. Why aren’t they releasing the dogs necropsy? Surely that cannot take longer than a human autopsy. <modsnip: Rumors are not allowed at Websleuths>

3. LE seems to think it was a familiar connection, and not a serial killer. (It’s not a SK!) They’ve said this time and time again. This is not a Jack the Ripper, this is not the guy that stabbed the teen. With all due respect to your theories, if you read all the articles and listen to the Police press conferences, you will see that they seem confident that it’s someone who knew her.

If anyone is a lawyer or LE, please comment and explain to me why after 7 months they are unable to give a little relief to EC.

I agree with all of this, and the only explanation I can come up with as to why they don't formally "clear" EC is that she is considered a POI. I don't know why else they would not "clear" her, if that's what they even do. (It could be they don't bother to do that even if a person is not a suspect).

Yes, the police have said over and over again that the killer was not a serial killer, and I don't know how they know that, but obviously they know things we don't know.

They do seem confident it's someone who knew her. What I can't figure out is why they also seem confident that the public is not in any great danger of using the park, because there is no additional large police presence there and they haven't even installed new cameras there yet, as far as I know, and they don't seem to be in a hurry either.

All MOO

Yes, the police have said over and over again that the killer was not a serial killer, and I don't know how they know that, but obviously they know things we don't know.
They do seem confident it's someone who knew her.
All MOO

Could you clarify what—beyond the police explicitly stating they don’t think K and B were murdered by a serial killer— gives you the impression that law enforcement feels “confident it’s someone who knew her?”

In an earlier post you wrote, “If you read all the articles and listen to the Police press conferences, you will see that they seem confident that it’s someone who knew her.” I have been closely following this case from the start, and I haven’t gotten this impression, so I would genuinely appreciate you sharing what you’re picking up on (and I’m maybe oblivious to!) in the articles/press conferences.

Could you clarify what—beyond the police explicitly stating they don’t think K and B were murdered by a serial killer— gives you the impression that law enforcement feels “confident it’s someone who knew her?”

In an earlier post you wrote, “If you read all the articles and listen to the Police press conferences, you will see that they seem confident that it’s someone who knew her.” I have been closely following this case from the start, and I haven’t gotten this impression, so I would genuinely appreciate you sharing what you’re picking up on (and I’m maybe oblivious to!) in the articles/press conferences.
The police have been as quiet about this as any case I can remember.I have never heard them say they believe the killer is someone she knew.

Last press conference by AtlPD regarding murder of KJ & B.
Also, an interview w/retired detective that claims he has spoken to det. assigned to this case.
IMO there is no mention of murderer knowing victim. I was surprised to hear that the 9 PP cameras may have usable data or at least an attempt is being made to try & retrieve data.

I do want to warn that the autopsy report is in this article, but you can scroll thru it w/o seeing it.

'We are getting close': Atlanta police say Piedmont Park murder investigation still 'very active'

Homicide Commander Ralph Woolfolk said investigators are still assessing biological, physical and electronic evidence.

Criminologists have been trying to come up with a profile of the person who murdered Katie Janness based on what is known about the murder and the evidence.

APD says that the cameras were working the night of the murder, but clarified that the nine cameras in Piedmont Park are not integrated into the city's current video integration center that it tracks in real-time.

"We are still working to determine if there is any information we can get from those cameras. As I mentioned the cameras were installed as a pilot in 2008. The technology for those particular cameras is now obsolete," Hampton said.

Police are adding details on the type of person the public may want to look out for.

Hampton explains, "If you saw anyone with any unexplained injuries, an intense attraction to this case in the media, a change in appearance, a change in hair color, a change in any type of facial hair."

Velazquez said right now there doesn't seem to be an intimate connection between Janness and the killer.

From my personal perspective, what the killer did to KJ shows the killer's derangement rather than his knife skills. It's kind of like how any teenager can legibly carve their initials into a tree trunk with a pocket knife. Same goes for medical know-how. From the autopsy, it strikes me more that he was working criss-cross, back and forth, following more visible anatomical lines and structural targets vs anything specific to intended internal organs or knife handling prowess. That's just my very amateur opinion, though.

Mine is also an amateur opinion. But it struck me that both the autopsy report and the knife training technique mention cutting in terms of "o'clock.” Patterns are useful for description in general, and especially for analyzing criminal behavior. Also, maybe the killer isn't a black belt in FMA, but has a degree of knowledge and ability greater than the average person. Someone killed two strong, healthy, living beings in a short amount of time and so far has escaped detection. Who, how, and why?

Mine is also an amateur opinion. But it struck me that both the autopsy report and the knife training technique mention cutting in terms of "o'clock.” Patterns are useful for description in general, and especially for analyzing criminal behavior. Also, maybe the killer isn't a black belt in FMA, but has a degree of knowledge and ability greater than the average person. Someone killed two strong, healthy, living beings in a short amount of time and so far has escaped detection. Who, how, and why?
I guess my interpretation of the "o'clock" terminology was to give a visual cue to how the wounds were positioned on the body. Since the body will eventually be no longer accessible evidence, the autopsy gives enough details to practically draw out the wounds, exactly as they were on the body, almost like a map. Such as in court, or whatever. But I'm not all that familiar with autopsies, so maybe the "o'clock" references are not common?

I guess my interpretation of the "o'clock" terminology was to give a visual cue to how the wounds were positioned on the body. Since the body will eventually be no longer accessible evidence, the autopsy gives enough details to practically draw out the wounds, exactly as they were on the body, almost like a map. Such as in court, or whatever. But I'm not all that familiar with autopsies, so maybe the "o'clock" references are not common?

I was wondering the same thing.

I've heard statements from investigators and the former mayor in press conferences that suggest without saying blatantly that the person was probably familiar to KJ.

Here is one example of where we heard the murderer is probably not a serial killer:

"Police say viral social media post alleging Atlanta has a serial killer is false"

Police say viral social media post alleging Atlanta has a serial killer is false

Familiarity:

"ATLANTA - Law enforcement sources and a former prosecutor say elements of the Katherine Janness murder at Piedmont Park in Midtown suggest there may be "a familiarity" between the victim and the killer."

According to former Fulton County prosecutor Ash Joshi, the killer got close enough to disable Janness’ protective pit bull, who was found stabbed to death alongside her in July 2020. Joshi told Fox Atlanta that being able to get close enough to the dog to disable him showed that the pup may have been familiar with the suspect.

“It was a pit bull. That is a loyal, very protective breed of dog,” Joshi said. “It certainly moves us aware from the stranger on a stranger theory of the case.”

“It suggests a familiarity.”

Evidence indicates Piedmont Park murderer may have been familiar with victim, dog

I can't figure out who handled the necropsy. GBI claims they didn't do it. Same for the Fulton County Medical Examiner's office. No one seems to know where Bowie's body was sent. I was wondering if maybe it was sent to UGA College of Veterinary Medicine. Does anyone have any other thoughts?

I can't figure out who handled the necropsy. GBI claims they didn't do it. Same for the Fulton County Medical Examiner's office. No one seems to know where Bowie's body was sent. I was wondering if maybe it was sent to UGA College of Veterinary Medicine. Does anyone have any other thoughts?
IMO
Wherever he is, he is under lock & key. Speculating that no information regarding Bowie will be released until trial.
IMO the FBI has custody.

I've heard statements from investigators and the former mayor in press conferences that suggest without saying blatantly that the person was probably familiar to KJ.

Here is one example of where we heard the murderer is probably not a serial killer:

"Police say viral social media post alleging Atlanta has a serial killer is false"

Police say viral social media post alleging Atlanta has a serial killer is false

Familiarity:

"According to former Fulton County prosecutor Ash Joshi, the killer got close enough to disable Janness’ protective pit bull, who was found stabbed to death alongside her in July 2020. Joshi told Fox Atlanta that being able to get close enough to the dog to disable him showed that the pup may have been familiar with the suspect.

It was a pit bull. That is a loyal, very protective breed of dog,” Joshi said. “It certainly moves us aware from the stranger on a stranger theory of the case.”

Evidence indicates Piedmont Park murderer may have been familiar with victim, dog

(Snipped and bolded by me)

IMO only, but that seems to be an exceedingly flimsy premise for claiming that the murderer was known to Katie. Though certainly there are breed-specific characteristics that MOST examples of a particular breed of animal will have, I think it's a stretch to say that, just because someone was able to "disable" Bowie, he must not have reacted to that person in a stereotypically aggressive/defensive manner as a pit bull might be expected to. I guess this is where information from Bowie's necroscopy would help to clarify the events of that evening (esp. if there was reason to believe he had attacked his assailant prior to being overcome), but I agree that the public is unlikely to see them until a suspect is in custody, if ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734