GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo, the killer was familiar with Katie but Katie may not have known the killer.
Also, I think that if the killer was in Katie’s circle of friends, relatives and current coworkers there would have been an arrest by now.
I see posts here that seem to suggest the killer was someone in Katie’s inner circle and it bothers me. Pointing fingers at a person who is already going thru a devastating loss causes more hurt and is something you can not take back if/when there is an arrest of someone who is not the person who was close to Katie.
I have spent a lot of time with dogs and known a lot of pit bulls. You really can not stereotype them, imo.
We can not be certain how he would react to the situation. He may not have had a chance to react. I have wondered if he could have purposely been hit by a car.
I do think that an attacker looking for a victim would choose someone without a dog, a pit especially.
I would like to know if Katie and Bowie were the killer’s intended target. So many things make me suspect this was planned in advance. If the killer chose Katie and Bowie, knew how to avoid cameras and witnesses, attack without the victims screaming or barking, managed not to leave dna in a short timeframe…that is mind boggling. Do not know if that is the case or not but it is something my mind keeps coming back to.

Someone on Twitter typed up a transcript of EC's 911 call, made when she found Katie. Is the 911 call still available on the web anywhere? I'm curious to see if he got it all.

This report by HM w/CBS46 news has the 911 call w/transcript.
Also videos of 6 potential witnesses & camera shots of the entrance to PP at 10th & CA.
The call starts at 2:15 mark on this report. It has expletives beeped out & does not contain the end of the call or the AtlPD dispatcher talking to the Grady Ambulance 911 dispatcher.
I can retrieve other reports if this isn't enough.

911 call and new video in Piedmont Park murder shed light on a timeline

So, I am just finding out about this case.
It is so sad, so horrific.
Not sure if anyone else has brought this up, but...to me, the cause of death sounds crazily similar to the you ng male that was murdered in Florida in November 201.
Just thinking out loud.

AMOO MOO JMO

EBM because just after posting, I see that several people have discussed this. I am still wondering if there could be a connection?

The unsolved murder of Debra Gulliver in 2017... some similar characteristics (imo).

Woman stabbed to death in 'brutal, savage attack' near Pa. school

"This was a brutal savage attack. Someone wanted to make sure she suffered and was killed," Philadelphia Police Captain Drew Techner told 6ABC.

This, after 33-year-old Debra Gulliver was stabbed 15 times with such force the knife blade broke from its handle, 6ABC writes, adding:

Gulliver suffered stab wounds all over her legs, torso and chest, as well as blunt force trauma to her head, police tell the station.

Her blood-soaked, partially clothed body was found by a passerby at 3:20 a.m. Saturday on a path leading to a park behind the Dobbins Technical High School in North Philadelphia.

The unsolved murder of Debra Gulliver in 2017... some similar characteristics (imo).

Woman stabbed to death in 'brutal, savage attack' near Pa. school

"This was a brutal savage attack. Someone wanted to make sure she suffered and was killed," Philadelphia Police Captain Drew Techner told 6ABC.

This, after 33-year-old Debra Gulliver was stabbed 15 times with such force the knife blade broke from its handle, 6ABC writes, adding:

Gulliver suffered stab wounds all over her legs, torso and chest, as well as blunt force trauma to her head, police tell the station.

Her blood-soaked, partially clothed body was found by a passerby at 3:20 a.m. Saturday on a path leading to a park behind the Dobbins Technical High School in North Philadelphia.

SLW has ties to Philadelphia.

Last edited:
Back in August, I asked my APD source if it was safe to go to Piedmont Park and they said, “it’s fine”. I then asked how they were so sure if nobody had been caught and the response was “you’ll be fine. Just don’t go walking in the park at night”. My interpretation of that is, the chances of the same thing happening to you in the daytime is slim; however, if you go to the park at night (after the park closes) there’s no telling what/who you may encounter. In MSM, APD has also advised people to walk in groups. If you recall from a press conference, APD said they have to be responsible about what information they put out to the public.
IMO, APD can’t really say a crime was committed by a serial killer unless they have some sort of pattern or evidence that links multiple murders together. ATP, all I’ve heard them say is that this murder is not like anything they’ve ever seen. If another similar murder happens, then maybe it would be time for them to explore the serial killer narrative.

I guess my interpretation of the "o'clock" terminology was to give a visual cue to how the wounds were positioned on the body. Since the body will eventually be no longer accessible evidence, the autopsy gives enough details to practically draw out the wounds, exactly as they were on the body, almost like a map. Such as in court, or whatever. But I'm not all that familiar with autopsies, so maybe the "o'clock" references are not common?
This is spot on. I was able to specifically identify wounds because of the descriptive nature of the report.

Back in August, I asked my APD source if it was safe to go to Piedmont Park and they said, “it’s fine”. I then asked how they were so sure if nobody had been caught and the response was “you’ll be fine. Just don’t go walking in the park at night”.
snipped...
Even if this murder had not happened, the advice above would have still been relevant. Stay out of the park after dark.

I just looked at the autopsy again. I don't think the "o'clock" references have anything to do with any particular knife-fighting style. They just describe the direction of the injuries on the body.

I was struck by how shallow most of the wounds were, an inch or so. But there are one or two to the back that are four inches in depth. There are also blunt-force bruises. I wonder how many weapons were used.

It really does seem beyond even Jack the Ripper. But each injury reveals more details about who did it.

I am curious about whether or not it is common for a killer to repeatedly stab their victim in the face?
I have always heard that stabbing is typically done by a person person known to the victim. However, in the case of RR , he too was stabbed in the face multiple times.

Ryan Rogers murder: Documents suggest racial motive in teen’s Palm Beach Gardens stabbing

In court documents it was reported :The teen had been stabbed "numerous times in the head and face," according to the criminal complaint.

If , in fact this was not personal- then it seems that it would likely, imo, be perpetuated by a person with serious mental illness(possible paranoia , schizophrenia, psychotic tendencies) OR someone with hatred for the LGBTQ community.

AMOO MOO JMO

I just looked at the autopsy again. I don't think the "o'clock" references have anything to do with any particular knife-fighting style. They just describe the direction of the injuries on the body.

I was struck by how shallow most of the wounds were, an inch or so. But there are one or two to the back that are four inches in depth. There are also blunt-force bruises. I wonder how many weapons were used.

It really does seem beyond even Jack the Ripper. But each injury reveals more details about who did it.

<modsnip>

the 4" long one from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock that is over 2" deep between the natal cleft and the anus is the one that bothers me the most. That was a VERY deliberate cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

But each injury reveals more details about who did it.

RSBM

I share your thoughts. The combination of different types (depths) of the wounds with the addition of the blunt-force injuries keep steering me back to more than one weapon. I don't think any of the wounds seem to be made with a serrated edge. But, I wonder if more than one weapon means more than one attacker? Or was it a multi-blade weapon? Or a killer who just worked quickly with a single blade?

This case really bothers me.

duh.... a medical examiner isn't going to be referencing knife fighting styles in a autopsy report lol

the 4" long one from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock that is over 2" deep between the natal cleft and the anus is the one that bothers me the most. That was a VERY deliberate cut.
The natal cleft wound is very disturbing.

RSBM

I share your thoughts. The combination of different types (depths) of the wounds with the addition of the blunt-force injuries keep steering me back to more than one weapon. I don't think any of the wounds seem to be made with a serrated edge. But, I wonder if more than one weapon means more than one attacker? Or was it a multi-blade weapon? Or a killer who just worked quickly with a single blade?

That some of the cuts were quite shallow made me thing perhaps something like a box cutter was used for some of the wounds. The deep cuts would seem to clearly be a sturdy knife.

RSBM

It bothers me, too.

Again, this is definitely not my area of expertise, but it seems the injuries might simply suggest different manners of sharp-force trauma - stabbing and cutting - which I think could be managed with a single weapon used in various ways. I keep coming back to something like a switchblade, which would be long enough for the deepest wounds, but tactile and sharp enough for incision wounds. And they are often double-edged.

It's certainly not impossible the killer had multiple weapons, but it all happened so quickly...

Last edited:
This report by HM w/CBS46 news has the 911 call w/transcript.
Also videos of 6 potential witnesses & camera shots of the entrance to PP at 10th & CA.
The call starts at 2:15 mark on this report. It has expletives beeped out & does not contain the end of the call or the AtlPD dispatcher talking to the Grady Ambulance 911 dispatcher.
I can retrieve other reports if this isn't enough.

911 call and new video in Piedmont Park murder shed light on a timeline

Thank you! At the time I posted, I wasn't able to access/use Google. I really appreciate this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l