GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
"Stephen is innocent, but he ran into the killer face to face on Thursday night," she told Fleischer.Glenda McDaniel said her son caught an apartment maintenance worker on Giddings' balcony at midnight two days before she vanished. Stephen McDaniel gave that man's name to the district attorney."He was given his termination notice on May 25. She was last seen on June 25. Her body was found the last day that he was officially employed at the Barrister Hall Apartments. He had master keys. He had access to all of the apartments," said Glenda McDaniel.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/28750291/detail.html

Yeah, timing of this is suspicious to say the least.
An interesting development though.
Someone like that could actually plant evidence anywhere he likes.
I suspect he'll turn out to have solid alibi.
Never know...

.....which makes me wonder why Stephen did not disclose this information when Michelle Quesada asked him if Lauren had any enemies or if he knew of anyone who would want to hurt Lauren OR when he was disclosing info on the Macon Hoodlum Email. At either one of those points he could have appropriately mentioned the 'maintenance man' on Lauren's balcony.....

No, this 'new scenario' doesn't make me wonder..... it let's me know:

He never mentioned seeing any other person because that was not his angle at that time. He was more interested in promoting his "she was just gone' i.e., Missing Person scenario and stated, 'maybe someone snatched her while she was running.'

Since the missing person scenario is no longer viable,
here is the new one:
Maintenance Man murders and dismembers Lauren.
It is my guess that we will be hearing more info on the 'real killer'...
as this new scenario develops.

I'm a loser. I wanted to see it so badly, I stopped by the gym in my work clothes, got on an exercise bike and listened to most of the interview with my headphones. I couldn't hear most of the questions but it sounded like someone asked if it was apparent whether or not he dismembered her body there or somewhere else. I think Burns shrugged and said that it hadn't been determined. Did I get that correct? The sweaty dude next to me kept whipping out his towel and hitting me with it so I wasn't focused.

(bolded/underlined by me)

How is it that another Mercer student has moved into McDaniel's apartment, but the Chief shrugged and said the place of LG's dismemberment hadn't been determined? 4 weeks later, and it hasn't been determined, yet another student has moved in and people have been allowed to go in and out and all about the apartments of Giddings and McDaniel? And I don't think I would WANT to move in while Crime Scene Investigators are still shuffling around.

I found it crazy that they were back out there yesterday, especially since they've allowed people to go in and out, they've had all kinds of folks trampling around who could've taken anything or placed anything anywhere. The moment they released those apartments for LG's family to go in, and McDaniel's family to go in, well that's the moment they should have decided they had enough and never needed to go back. They were taking photos yesterday, but why weren't photos taken before they ripped out fridges and drains and tubs? If these photos are used in a trial, I sure hope they are properly labeled as having been taken AFTER everything had been disturbed there, not labeled as "they way they were" at the time they first went in.

And on to another train of thought...

Can anyone state the name of the first officer from Mercer who responded to Giddings apartment around 10 pm on Wednesday? Where is HIS report? What did HE say in his written notes or report?

And why did Detective Bridger make the decision to NOT RESPOND to the scene when contacted by SGT Copeland? Bridger is the on call missing persons detective for Macon Police, so does on-call mean when they call you, you don't have to go? Since Bridger is also listed as a Mercer Campus Police Officer, why in the world did this not get rolling Wednesday night at 10 when whomever that first officer was from Mercer that responded to a call to go there?

Was Bridger working the evening shift on that Wednesday night at Mercer? If so, what was he doing that kept him from going over to the apartment at midnight when he was called by SGT Copeland? What else did he have going on that he couldn't leave to respond to police being at Giddings place, which was literally 10 steps across the street from the campus of the law school? And, it's only about a 10 second golf cart ride to Giddings apartment from campus, right?

So, WHO responded from Mercer on Wednesday night around 10 pm?
And why didn't he follow protocol and contact LG's family at THAT time?
(is it because she already graduated and was no longer considered a student?)

All Mercer campus police officers ARE Macon police officers, so when that first officer went to Giddings place on Wednesday night about 10 pm, why wasn't the on call missing persons detective (Bridger) contacted at that point?
Or was Bridger actually the one who went there at 10 pm?

I get the feeling they don't want us to know.

Yes, convenient this maintenance worker who SM has named as the killer..

Funny how in all of that chattiness that day with his on cam interview he never once mentions word one of this.. And if you go back and watch the full video they(two separate reporters) repeatedly ask him in various different ways did you see anyone suspicious, did you hear anything or anyone.. Especially when speaking of that particular Thursday night of the supposed break in he is asked multiple times did he see anyone at all? Did he hear anything?? Is there anything at all that he saw or heard at any time that night????

I, too understand his mom wanting to believe this.. But it makes my blood boil that here he is blaming innocent people that are in no way involved and has no intention whatsoever helping this desperate family to recover her remains..

Keep on with the lies, Stephen! You are going to be shown for exactly what type of human being that you are.. Keep digging that hole deeper and deeper.. You'll be the only one in it when all is said and done!!

I don't think he will ever enter a plea or tell anyone where the remaining body parts are, even if they offer to take the death penalty off the table, because then he'd have to admit to his family that he did it. That will probably be the hardest thing for him to do, even harder than admitting it in court or to her family.

ABSOLUTELY.
Stephen will not be able to admit this crime to his family.
Too difficult.
After all, they are the ones who will always support his innocence, regardless of what the evidence shows or what a court of law decides. IMO

I think the OP [Sandstorm] was writing from the perspective of "if the MPD have their man, then..." and for the purposes of this specific forum [it's called Websleuths so you're gonna have people with theories and opinions], I think that's a fair perspective. I have yet to really see anyone on this forum angrily demanding a lynching, most people are searching, upset, confused by this crime and the possible perpetrator. I would bet and hope that most of the regular posters here would not convict McDaniel at trial based on the information we have available and confirmed, but it's fair to have personal opinions in this venue IMO.

I'm all for fairness of everyone to have their opinions. LOVE em. But, speaking in an opinionated manner is different from saying things such as how someone hopes the family will come to the truth, in time. The truth? What truth? That he's been charged? Ok. That's the truth. It's not anything I'm arguing, but when people speak as if CHARGED equals GUILTY, then I think we all need to remind those who fall into this trap.
Sandstorm's post was great and well thought out, but the wording in that didn't come across as an "if the MPD have their man" type of deal. It came across as, "Dang, he's charged, so YEP. He did it. I hope his family can accept what he's done."

Innocent until proven guilty.
As a matter of fact, my favorite t-shirt says so.

Colonel Mustard I agree.. snipped
Sadly I feel as tho there is where his family must have to find it within themselves to ATLEAST come to terms and ATLEAST accept that it is possible that their son is guilty.. What I mean by this is that if they care for Lauren's family and truly want to see justice on her behalf then they must ATLEAST go to their son face to face and tell him that they are there for him and are going to love him no matter what.. TRULY NO MATTER that they will still love him and that they want to believe him and will stand by him if he is innocent.. BUT THAT THEY WANT HIM TO DO THE RIGHT THING AND IF HE IS SOMEHOW INVOLVED IN HOWEVER THIS NIGHTMARE HAPPENED THAT HE MUST.. THAT HE MUST GRANT THIS FAMILY THE ONLY THING THEY ARE PLEADING FOR, THE ONLY THING THEY HAVE LEFT OF THEIR DAUGHTER, LAUREN.. THE ONE WHOM YOU SAY WAS SO VERY KIND AND FULL OF GOODNESS AND WAS YOUR FRIEND.. IF YOU ARE INVOLVED IN ANY WAY, STEPHEN PLEASE DO THIS FOR LAUREN AND HER FAMILY AND TELL THEM WHERE HER REMAINS ARE..

Good post Smooth.
I agree with your position. However, in order for Stephen's parents to say ^this^ to him, they would have to actually consider that HE COMMITTED this crime. I think that even the possibility is completely remote to their thinking. This crime is difficult for me (us) to wrap our minds around and we are looking at McD and the crime from a vast distance; we do not even know him. I cannot understand or imagine the hows or whys of the crime events actually happening. Sure, I can SAY what I think happened, but when I look at the photographs of this young man and the future he had and all that he had going for him, it is extremely difficult, surreal for me to imagine him actually killing and cutting up another human.

In other words, IMO, if it is this difficult for me, a stranger to McD, then how on God's green earth could his parents who raised him, watched him sing in the choir, attended his law school graduation EVER come to even the POSSIBILITY that their loving son could be guilty of this crime.
I do not see it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
"Stephen is innocent, but he ran into the killer face to face on Thursday night," she told Fleischer.Glenda McDaniel said her son caught an apartment maintenance worker on Giddings' balcony at midnight two days before she vanished. Stephen McDaniel gave that man's name to the district attorney."He was given his termination notice on May 25. She was last seen on June 25. Her body was found the last day that he was officially employed at the Barrister Hall Apartments. He had master keys. He had access to all of the apartments," said Glenda McDaniel.

This has credibility.
McDaniel may have disclosed this to investigators when they spoke to him that morning and told him NOT to mention this to anyone because of the ongoing investigation. It should be considered that McDaniel did as he was asked and did NOT disclose the info to the MEDIA for a very good reason. Then he was arrested, got an attorney.

Imo,there has been no mention of this because he has an attorney and he was not arrested for murder at that point. No reason to say a thing to the public, but he has now been charged. This is now the time to defend him. Prior to this, he wasn't even accused.

Good post Smooth.
I agree with your position. However, in order for Stephen's parents to say ^this^ to him, they would have to actually consider that HE COMMITTED this crime. I think that even the possibility is completely remote to their thinking. This crime is difficult for me (us) to wrap our minds around and we are looking at McD and the crime from a vast distance; we do not even know him. I cannot understand or imagine the hows or whys of the crime events actually happening. Sure, I can SAY what I think happened, but when I look at the photographs of this young man and the future he had and all that he had going for him, it is extremely difficult, surreal for me to imagine him actually killing and cutting up another human.

In other words, IMO, if it is this difficult for me, a stranger to McD, then how on God's green earth could his parents who raised him, watched him sing in the choir, attended his law school graduation EVER come to even the POSSIBILITY that their loving son could be guilty of this crime.
I do not see it happening.

Very insightful, Sandstorm, and well-worded, IMO. And I think it is particularly true, all that you say, at this point in time.

The charge of murder has just occurred, no matter the weeks of shock, rumor, investigations, jail, and notoriety that preceded it. As much as I expect most anybody would hope and desire and pray that the Giddings family be able to have all of their beloved Lauren to bury, I also think it is just not reasonable to expect this other traumatized family, who appear to truly believe in their son's innocence at this point, to go through all the tangled emotions and hopes and fears they must be facing that quickly.

I believe that the McDaniels do feel for Lauren's family. But how hard would it be, at a point when you believe your child is innocent and feel he needs your support most, to press the matter as far as Smooth suggested?

That said, I don't believe that it is impossible, with time, that they might make this appeal to their son. As far as we know, they have heard very little "hard" evidence against him (as neither have we, IMO). As more comes out, if it is there, I believe we should not underestimate this mom, because I believe she may indeed have the strength and compassion and unconditional love to voice what Smooth suggests.

The problem, I think, is time: It is running out for the Giddings family's search, and the McDaniel family needs more.

Quoted from SmoothOperator's post:
"What I mean by this is that if they care for Lauren's family and truly want to see justice on her behalf then they must ATLEAST go to their son face to face and tell him that they are there for him and are going to love him no matter what.. TRULY NO MATTER that they will still love him and that they want to believe him and will stand by him if he is innocent.. BUT THAT THEY WANT HIM TO DO THE RIGHT THING AND IF HE IS SOMEHOW INVOLVED IN HOWEVER THIS NIGHTMARE HAPPENED THAT HE MUST.. THAT HE MUST GRANT THIS FAMILY THE ONLY THING THEY ARE PLEADING FOR, THE ONLY THING THEY HAVE LEFT OF THEIR DAUGHTER, LAUREN.. THE ONE WHOM YOU SAY WAS SO VERY KIND AND FULL OF GOODNESS AND WAS YOUR FRIEND.. IF YOU ARE INVOLVED IN ANY WAY, STEPHEN PLEASE DO THIS FOR LAUREN AND HER FAMILY AND TELL THEM WHERE HER REMAINS ARE.."

And to Smooth:
We do not always see things the same way, but the feeling in this part of your post that Sandstorm quoted, I can fully support and chorus along with you.

Also this:

Extra water would be needed for the crime.
I would think LE has checked the water consumption for BH apts during Jun 25 through June 30.
Are all the apts on one bill or separate billing?
OR
Does McD drink a lot of bottled water?

Seems like BB thought McD was weird too:

Bush says when Lauren moved in about three years ago, she asked her tenant if she felt comfortable living next to McDaniel.

She says Giddings replied that he was "nice but weird."

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/1...Nice-but-Weird

Nice, but weird.

That's how my shoes look and feel when I first buy them.
It's also how most people describe anyone with Asperger's.
I know a lot of nice weird people and I've never known of one of them to kill and cut up a woman.

Everyone thinks things are weird if they don't understand.

Weird can equal putting ketchup on eggs, or wearing a kilt to class.
Weird can equal someone who refuses to eat mayonaise on anything, or it can be someone who collects stamps but won't show them to anyone.
Weird can be a knife collector who knows every single thing about them, or a train conductor who would live on the train and never leave.
Weird can be so many things.
I think it's weird that anyone would ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but drive down to Florida and take a gander at those weirdos. It's not a law there.
That's weird.

Seems like BB thought McD was weird too:

Bush says when Lauren moved in about three years ago, she asked her tenant if she felt comfortable living next to McDaniel.

She says Giddings replied that he was "nice but weird."

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/1...Nice-but-Weird

I've said my peace about Boni Bush needing to zip it (very long ago/much earlier thread). And every week, here she goes with another story to the media.

She's been all over the new stories posted in the last several hours. She called Mrs. McDaniel to tell her about the murder charge. And now, she asked Lauren how she felt living next to Stephen...when they both first moved in.

I know she has been oversharing (in my opinion), but this sticks out to me.

Lauren and Stephen both began law school at the same time, so presumably, they became neighbors around this time as well. What would prompt Boni Bush, upon early on having them as tenants, to ask Lauren if she felt comfortable?

Again, Mrs. Bush obviously does not shy away from the media, but this tidbit is interesting. So far, it seems the people who knew McD are of the "he's odd but seems harmless" theory. To have your landlord ask early on if you felt ok living next to him seems unusual.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and should just chalk it up to nosiness and go with my earlier annoyance of Boni Bush. However, if Mrs. Bush did pick up on something odd about McD that quick, that's definitely telling.

Hmm...I'd be inclined to agree if we hadn't heard his allegations about the "real killer". If that story really came from him, and he still maintains it's true, then I think his faculties and his familial ties are still intact.

ETA: I'll have to search for the link, Sandstorm, but I'm pretty sure I read just recently that his parents have visited him in jail, though he's only called his lawyer.

Right Bessie.
They may have visited. I was basing my guess on the articles I read that implied he had the opportunity to call his parents and he only called his attorney. That was during his incarceration from July 1 onwards. Maybe he has changed his approach now that he has changed his story about the real killer: MM.

Thinking a little more on this...
It doesn't actually saw the saw itself was found in his apartment, just the packaging.
But, even if the saw itself was there too - with Lauren's blood/DNA on it....
I still couldn't "convict" him, since this could have been planted by the killer.
Probably not... I still feel he's the one, but.... need more.

I don't need any more.
The writing is on the wall.
Her DNA on the HACKSAW?
The packaging in his apartment.
Come on.
If the Maintenance Man did this then he is in the wrong profession and should be working for the CIA.

I don't need any more.
The writing is on the wall.
Her DNA on the HACKSAW?
The packaging in his apartment.
Come on.
If the Maintenance Man did this then he is in the wrong profession and should be working for the CIA.
Well, keep in mind that "hacksaw packaging" would be nothing more than thin piece of cardboard covering the blade.
At most, a cardboard sleeve. He wouldn't have put this in the trash? And taken his trash out?

Everything I've seen so far tells me he did this.
And I'm sure LE has more than this (I certainly hope so).
But, with what I know at this time, as a juror I could not convict him.

This has credibility.
McDaniel may have disclosed this to investigators when they spoke to him that morning and told him NOT to mention this to anyone because of the ongoing investigation. It should be considered that McDaniel did as he was asked and did NOT disclose the info to the MEDIA for a very good reason. Then he was arrested, got an attorney.

Imo,there has been no mention of this because he has an attorney and he was not arrested for murder at that point. No reason to say a thing to the public, but he has now been charged. This is now the time to defend him. Prior to this, he wasn't even accused.

Missinglovedones,
Thanks for your input. We definitely need people like you to see things from a wide angle lens. It is a great quality that you have.
I can understand the points you present ^above^.
However, I am much more cut and dry.
I think the whole presentation of the Maintenance Man on the balcony is a complete lie: Part 2, which followed Part 1: "Missing Person".

Today's article states that a HACKSAW WITH LAUREN'S DNA has been found in the BH apts and the packaging for it inside McDs apt.
That says a lot to me.
I am sure you can think of various reasons and scenarios for why the LG DNA hacksaw has nothing to do with McD, but I think it has everything to do with him.

I fear we are going to hear a lot more details about this case that are going to be very bad things.
Again, we are only sharing our opinions.
Thanks.

Something to think about when watching the beginning of McD's interview...

When he and the other friends were brought back to the apartments,
certainly he would have noticed the scene had changed dramatically.
Police and reporters everywhere, big Macon PD Crime Lab bus out front,
yellow crime scene tape across the front of the complex...
He had to realize all this would not be the case for just a missing person.
I'm sure he was quite nervous already, even before learning they had indeed found the torso.

Well, keep in mind that "hacksaw packaging" would be nothing more than thin piece of cardboard covering the blade. At most, a cardboard sleeve. He wouldn't have put this in the trash? And taken his trash out?

Everything I've seen so far tells me he did this.
And I'm sure LE has more than this (I certainly hope so).
But, with what I know at this time, as a juror I could not convict him.

At this juncture, I disqualify for the jury.
I think he is guilty.

The hacksaw with Lauren's DNA on it inside the Barristers Hall Apts for me is the same impact as
in the interview when McD replied,

"BODY?"

IMO

I suspect they went through all their evidence and filed for the warrant
with the minimal amount they felt they could get the warrant issued with,
so as to continue not to show their cards until they absolutely have to.
This is where all the stall tactics really come into play.
Now, the FBI/GBI labs need to process as much as they can before the
DA has to provide Buford with the evidence they'll present at the commitment hearing.
At least, this is how I'm understanding this works. :)
Not sure how far in advance they have to do this.

Extra water would be needed for the crime.
I would think LE has checked the water consumption for BH apts during Jun 25 through June 30.
Are all the apts on one bill or separate billing?
OR
Does McD drink a lot of bottled water?

It was mentioned before that SMD might be a survivalist. Stockpiling water could be chalked up to that. My husband is into all that survivalist stuff and does the same thing. We have about 30 gallon jugs stockpiled (which drives me nuts but that's a different story :) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisy24