GA - Meredith Emerson, 24, Blood Mountain, 4 January 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They have confirmed that they are looking into a link between this case and the case of two missing hikers in NC (John and Irene Bryant...Irene found beaten to death and John missing). Someone wearing a yellow jacket was seen near them and this guy was wearing a yellow jacket when he was seen with Meredith.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14964662/detail.html

I really believe that this yellow jacket bit is the wrong stance to take on these cases. One was a windbreaker style one and the description isn't the same as the one Hilton was wearing. To connect the cases through the jacket, will only take away from other potential circumstances and bias the mind towards connecting them. The more i think about it, i think it may have been a heavy yellow jacket with inforced black elbow patches and stripes, or a throw over rain slicker type thing. It's not the same style as seen in the Bryants' atm video still case.
I want to know more about this ex cop witness who sees Meredith and Hilton talking on the trail and is so uneasy about it. He obviously sticks around somewhere there long enough to find the items near her car and turn them in, not caring about destroying potential evidence. Maybe he waited until Hilton left and did something to Meredith, as he knew Hilton would be suspected and was openly seen talking to Meredith.
I think we need to be focusing on this ex cop as much as we are focusing on Hilton.
Dimples brings up a good point as to where was Hilton the past ten years? Incarcerated? Yet if he is a drifter, a transient then he's not going to have the money to leave records like the rest of us do.
The activities of this ex cop are suspicious and why hasn't his name been identified so we can run a background check on him too? He destroyed evidence at a scene he thought was suspicious to begin with. Obviously his police training didn't pay off one bit. I wonder if he's the one who got the Astro van's plate # as well.

I agree that people need to speak w/ GMH as soon as possible, however, I don't think that just because 5 people seen him w/ her that makes it a stronger scenario than the ex officer. Actually I think the opposite. I cannot see bringing that much attention to ones self but then who the heck knows what people think anymore lol.:doh:

On the other hand, I know if *I* were to do something I would not want to be connected to the person in anyone's mind, vision, or recollection. On that tangent though, does anyone recall the cop in the area at that time?

From SewingDeb's link above

Another hiker told officials he saw a man with a similar baton clipped to his belt hiking on the same trail that Emerson took.

This is where I'm getting confused :waitasec: - they talked about GMH being seen w/ Meredith, then a paragraph or so later they put in this statement (above)

Are we looking for TWO individuals then? Mr. Hilton for questioning what he may know about her, where she went, if she mentioned anything out of the ordinary.

As well as this individual w/ the baton? IF so, does anyone have a description? And if they do, does it match up w/ any other witnesses that have come forward?

I agree that people need to speak w/ GMH as soon as possible, however, I don't think that just because 5 people seen him w/ her that makes it a stronger scenario than the ex officer. Actually I think the opposite. I cannot see bringing that much attention to ones self but then who the heck knows what people think anymore lol.:doh:

On the other hand, I know if *I* were to do something I would not want to be connected to the person in anyone's mind, vision, or recollection. On that tangent though, does anyone recall the cop in the area at that time?

Jada, i agree with you on this, GMH was not trying to hide himself at all, he was hanging around the park area, out in the open, with a red dog and yellow noticeable jacket and hiker attire.
Maybe the cop figured he would look less obvious turning in and damaging the evidence. He has an uneasy feeling and doesn't follow his gut about it, yet he is also hanging around long enough to find the items near Meredith's car.
We don't know how long he was around the scene, he could have seen her arrive, on the trail, and then he has such an uneasy feeling, doesn't even bother to investigate it, which is the first thing a good cop would do, he would insert himself into the situation nonchalantly just to make sure that "uneasy feeling" he had was just an uneasy feeling, you would think? Then despite feeling so uneasy about GMH and Meredith, he gets his hands all over potential evidence.
If i had an "uneasy feeling" about something, i would go check it out, most hikers are friendly and great each other in passing. It wouldn't be hard for this ex cop to have made some small talk, if anything, just to reassure himself that the scenario was okay. I guess he didn't care enough to do that, yet he turned in the items near the car when he is the one who said he noticed GMH had a baton and a baton is one of those items turned it. Hmm not to mention it was an ASP law enforcement type baton. It makes ya think.. why didn't this ex cop put two and two together?? Wasn't his "uneasy feeling" also do to seeing GMH with a police baton?

From SewingDeb's link above

Another hiker told officials he saw a man with a similar baton clipped to his belt hiking on the same trail that Emerson took.

This is where I'm getting confused :waitasec: - they talked about GMH being seen w/ Meredith, then a paragraph or so later they put in this statement (above)

Are we looking for TWO individuals then? Mr. Hilton for questioning what he may know about her, where she went, if she mentioned anything out of the ordinary.

As well as this individual w/ the baton? IF so, does anyone have a description? And if they do, does it match up w/ any other witnesses that have come forward?

Thank you--I asked that same question above and didn't really get an answer.

The problem with suspecting the ex-officer is that at least 5 people saw Meredith talking to someone fitting Gary M. Hilton's description, including that ex-cop. That's a preponderance of reasons to want to talk to Hilton first.

About the possible connection to the Bryants. It may be nothing, but here's a link to a map connecting Brevard, where they disappeared, to Ducktown, TN, where the ATM video of the yellow-jacketed person withdrawing money from the Bryants' account was made, with an added jog down to Blairsville, GA, where Meredith has gone missing. You'll note that everything is right there together. Like I said, probably nothing, but I was bothered by it.

I've updated my blog entry with some of this info, as well as info provided by a good friend of Meredith's who is participating in the civilian search.

Steve/Mr. A

Apparently GBI is drawing a correlation as well.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14964662/detail.html

I think LE should still compile a composite sketch from witnesses anyway. Then it could be compared to GMH. If there are any discrepancies, it would help things. GMH made have changed in appearance since that license picture. Also there is no trail on him the past 10 years, is he even alive? Would someone steal his identity if they are similiar in appearance?
There is so much of what seems contradicting information. One of the witnesses, the ex cop, who is he?? Why does it seem his name hasn't been reported anywhere?

If I'm recalling correctly, the yellow jacket that the Bryant perp was wearing in the ATM video was one that belonged to the Bryants themselves, which would explain why there was duct tape on it. John Bryant had been wearing it and he had been restrained with duct tape. The perp put on the jacket to withdraw money, perhaps to hide any identifying clothing he may have had on.

Of course, the duct tape comment above is just my conjecture.

IMO i dont believe that the yellow jacket should be ruled out as being the same one because who is to say that it isnt the same jacket. Yes a person would have to be thinking crazy to were the same jacket but if he in fact did abduct her than wouldnt that be thinking crazy also?

yeah i'm still weirded out by the ex-cop...doesn't add up....and is the sheath they are talking about covered or open to where you could see what was in there - i mean from what i'm thinking it to be is like a gun holder type thingy for a knife or some other weapon - anyone has a better description? i mean i'm thinking it would be hard to see exactly what was in it unless you got a good closeup look.....

Jada, i agree with you on this, GMH was not trying to hide himself at all, he was hanging around the park area, out in the open, with a red dog and yellow noticeable jacket and hiker attire.
Maybe the cop figured he would look less obvious turning in and damaging the evidence. He has an uneasy feeling and doesn't follow his gut about it, yet he is also hanging around long enough to find the items near Meredith's car.
We don't know how long he was around the scene, he could have seen her arrive, on the trail, and then he has such an uneasy feeling, doesn't even bother to investigate it, which is the first thing a good cop would do, he would insert himself into the situation nonchalantly just to make sure that "uneasy feeling" he had was just an uneasy feeling, you would think? Then despite feeling so uneasy about GMH and Meredith, he gets his hands all over potential evidence.
If i had an "uneasy feeling" about something, i would go check it out, most hikers are friendly and great each other in passing. It wouldn't be hard for this ex cop to have made some small talk, if anything, just to reassure himself that the scenario was okay. I guess he didn't care enough to do that, yet he turned in the items near the car when he is the one who said he noticed GMH had a baton and a baton is one of those items turned it. Hmm not to mention it was an ASP law enforcement type baton. It makes ya think.. why didn't this ex cop put two and two together?? Wasn't his "uneasy feeling" also do to seeing GMH with a police baton?

I agree meo - I'm going to take it a step further. He sees GMH talking to her (which he's admitted obviously) but now...On the surface of stating that uneasy feeling, he sure has taken down alot of details about them but did nothing to act upon it, even as you stated, after he found the items? no notification to LE? eh? What better way to set up a fall guy.

guess my imagination is going overtime. There is something here, I just cannot put my finger on. I'm nobody on the great big scheme of things, but I do try to listen to my "gut instinct" There's too many pieces of the puzzle missing,

When they state she was prepared to go up for a day hike..what does that mean exactly? When you prepare for a dayhike (Exp. Hiker) do you also bring provisions in case you are stranded overnight? Is it possible as another poster brought up, that w/ Ella off leash, she may have seen something went after it, and in the pursuit after her, she slipped/fell/stumbled and has an injury that makes it improbable to walk out. (Doesn't even to be anything serious, sprained ankle etc) I would think that if that were the case she would have been discovered by now though or they would have come across Ella/Tracks/Etc something.

I know all reports say she is very well trained, I don't doubt that, but even the best trained pups/dogs can have their moments! :D

Cwiz,

I'm trying to find the answer. So many conflicting reports. and nothing 100% confirmed grr!

Not to turn this thread into a rehashing of the Bryant case (although the two could be related), it appears that the motive for the Bryant kidnapping/murder was money, although pure homicidal mania is as good a motive as any for some criminals. If Meredith's disappearance is criminal in nature and the two cases are related, what then would be the motive for the crime? As far as we know, no one has tried to access her money.

Bascially, what I'm saying is that criminals tend to follow patterns and one of these patterns is motive. Some criminals like to sexually assault people for the thrill and power, some criminals are after money. The motives in these two cases appear (on the surface) to be dissimilar. Money in the case of the Bryants (even though the perp only got $300). ??? in the case of Meredith (perhaps sexual assault, ransom?). It's almost too early even to be speaking of motive in Meredith's case since we're not positive there has been foul play.

Just thinking here: how odd is it that someone would go after hikers for money? I mean, of all the places to find a person with large amounts of money on them, is a hiking trail really on your top ten?

I agree meo - I'm going to take it a step further. He sees GMH talking to her (which he's admitted obviously) but now...On the surface of stating that uneasy feeling, he sure has taken down alot of details about them eh? What better way to set up a fall guy.

guess my imagination is going overtime. There is something here, I just cannot put my finger on. I'm nobody on the great big scheme of things, but I do try to listen to my "gut instinct" There's too many pieces of the puzzle missing,

When they state she was prepared to go up for a day hike..what does that mean exactly? When you prepare for a dayhike (Exp. Hiker) do you also bring provisions in case you are stranded overnight? Is it possible as another poster brought up, that w/ Ella off leash, she may have seen something went after it, and in the pursuit after her, she slipped/fell/stumbled and has an injury that makes it improbable to walk out. (Doesn't even to be anything serious, sprained ankle etc) I would think that if that were the case she would have been discovered by now though or they would have come across Ella/Tracks/Etc something.

I know all reports say she is very well trained, I don't doubt that, but even the best trained pups/dogs can have their moments! :D

Cwiz,

I'm trying to find the answer. So many conflicting reports. and nothing 100% confirmed grr!

I'm thinking the "fall guy" type thing, also..
For a day hike, my guess is that she'd have to have brought a backpack herself to hold stuff for a "day hike", she'd bring food for herself and Ella, a lot of times hikers bring a mixture of nuts, dried fruits, some sweets (i forget the name, like a trail mix type thing that would boost energy) water bottles, either a fold up bowl, or some type of bowl for Ella, tissues or napkins, extra clothes layers, and possibly a med kit. Also anything else that one would take with them, her cell phone, maybe a camera (if she was a regular hiker of this trail, she probably wouldn't have brought a camera, yet you never know).
From the description of GMH's backpack it sounds like it was the large hiker type, in which he may have had extra items in case he was stuck in bad weather. If he was weathered looking, he has been out in the elements a lot so may have been used to such scenarios as getting stuck while hiking and had a large backpack just in case.

Not to turn this thread into a rehashing of the Bryant case (although the two could be related), it appears that the motive for the Bryant kidnapping/murder was money, although pure homicidal mania is as good a motive as any for some criminals. If Meredith's disappearance is criminal in nature and the two cases are related, what then would be the motive for the crime? As far as we know, no one has tried to access her money.

Bascially, what I'm saying is that criminals tend to follow patterns and one of these patterns is motive. Some criminals like to sexually assault people for the thrill and power, some criminals are after money. The motives in these two cases appear (on the surface) to be dissimilar. Money in the case of the Bryants (even though the perp only got $300). ??? in the case of Meredith (perhaps sexual assault, ransom?). It's almost too early even to be speaking of motive in Meredith's case since we're not positive there has been foul play.

Amen to that, cwiz!! Does anyone know if Meredith had her wallet on her, or was it in her vehicle?
In any case, activity of her cards would have been checked by now i would hope. I hate to say this, i think in Meredith's case the motive wasn't money. I think it's sexual in nature, she was an attractive young woman. I don't think the cases are related, aside from the fact that the unidentified suspect wants people to think they are to throw them off.

Amen to that, cwiz!! Does anyone know if Meredith had her wallet on her, or was it in her vehicle?
In any case, activity of her cards would have been checked by now i would hope. I hate to say this, i think in Meredith's case the motive wasn't money. I think it's sexual in nature, she was an attractive young woman. I don't think the cases are related, aside from the fact that the unidentified suspect wants people to think they are to throw them off.

I don't know how much is fact, I know Steve had mentioned that He had knowledge that the interview on Nancy grace left some stuff out and iirc some details were a bit skewed. So with that said.

It was stated on there that her phone and id haven't been found in her car/house etc. So it's being assumed I guess she has them on her. Her phone is going into voicemail, but it was stated by someone on the show that could be because, she is out of reach of signal (mountaintop/range thing), the phone is dead (battery), or worse case, it's been turned off/dumped by someone.

The perp in the Bryants' case almost immediately used their atm card, in desperation for money. Whoever has Meredith and her cards, if the motive were for money, would know that time is essential in using the cards, before a hold is put on them, and this case has made so much news, national coverage, that at this point it would be worthless and stupid for anyone to use her cards, as they would immediately be suspect. In the Bryants' case the card was used pretty much right away. We don't have that in this one. Any type of credit card, atm card theft would have to be done immediately before the card has a hold put on it or attention is aroused as to the person whose card it really is. I think the yellow jacket bit is a coincidence that is handy in distracting LE from the real culprit. It is possible it's the same suspect with different motives on each case, yet i see it as highly unlikely.

Has E.Search been talked about coming in to help with the search at all? I know that their are experienced searchers looking, but aren't these people kind of the "top dogs" for searching in this type of terrain (as far as gear, skills etc go?)

Edited to add. I went to their website, didn't see anything mentioned about her, so I sent off an email to see if they are contemplating going over there. I'll post back if I should get a response. Not sure if the request has to come from family/friends/LE, and I'm sure they are bogged w/ emails/calls etc. We'll see what happens, I figured it couldn't hurt!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back