GA - Meredith Emerson, 24, Blood Mountain, 4 January 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow, the ATM in TN is really close to where Emerson went missing.

Discussing on Greta now. Dog found and ID'd by microchip with vet.

Dog found at Kroger. Dog found an hour from where Mereidiths car at mountain. Hilton well know at mountain, goes there regularly.
Meredith, martial arts student, advanced. Capable of defending herself.
Meredith has hiked that trail before with her dog. Rugged terrain, icy rocks, definitely not a beginners trail.
Roommate last spoke to M on New Years Eve. M is an account sales manager at a shipping supply company. M worked Nye, but was off Ny day. Left note on board. Nothing unusual abt it. Always goes hiking. Not uncommon to go by herself. Usually takes cellphone. Her work called her roommate at work wondering where she was. M has no health issues.
Search conditions, searched 400 square miles today.
Leash, water bottle found on trail. two hundred yards from her car. Normal to let dog run free.

Notes from Greta show.

Dog found at Kroger. Dog found an hour from where Mereidiths car at mountain. Hilton well know at mountain, goes there regularly.
Meredith has hiked that trail before with her dog. Rugged terrain, icy rocks, definitely not a beginners trail.
Roommate last spoke to M on New Years Eve. M is an account sales manager at a shipping supply company. M worked Nye, but was on Nye day. Left note on board. Nothing unusual abt it. Always goes hiking. Not uncommon to go by herself. Usually takes cellphone. Her work called her roommate at work wondering where she was. M has no health issues.
Leash, water bottle found on trail. two hundred yards from her car. Normal to let dog run free.

Notes from Greta show.

I thought she said it was NOT normal for the dog to run free. That she kept her on lease on the trails just like she did at home? But my kiddos are being crazy so I may have misheard!

The Union County Police Department announced Friday evening that the "person of interest" in the disappearance of hiker Meredith Emerson, 60-year-old Gary Michael Hilton, was taken into custody in DeKalb County at about 8 p.m. Friday at a Chevron convenience store at the corner of Ashford-Dunwoody Road and Johnson Ferry Road.

According to authorities, Hilton will be questioned by the GBI about his knowledge of Emerson.

Emerson's white van was found near the car vacuum cleaners at the station. A passerby noticed the van, thought it seemed out of place, and called 911.
(more at link) great pics of van

http://www.wxia.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=109059

I hope we get some answers for Mere and her friends and family. Her friends are holding out hope :)

BB's right; the roomie said the dog was often let loose up there as opposed to residential areas where she's from...

She worded it sort of funny; I thought the same thing you thought at first, Jinxie.

I thought she said it was NOT normal for the dog to run free. That she kept her on lease on the trails just like she did at home? But my kiddos are being crazy so I may have misheard!
Julia said. " thats the whole idea to take the dog there to let it run free rather then the normal leash walks around the neighborhood."

Roommate last spoke to M on New Years Eve. M is an account sales manager at a shipping supply company. M worked Nye, but was off Ny day. Left note on board. Nothing unusual abt it. Always goes hiking. Not uncommon to go by herself. Usually takes cellphone. Her work called her roommate at work wondering where she was. M has no health issues.

Notes from Greta show.

So if Meredith's dog, Ella, was found only an hour away from where the car was at the mountain, it's safe to say Ella traveled the distance herself during sometime in between Meredith being reported missing and when Ella was found? An hour's distance a dog, especially one that was used to hiking, could cover in a few day's time, i'd say.. was she headed towards where Meredith and her lived? The "homing instinct"

The Union County Police Department announced Friday evening that the "person of interest" in the disappearance of hiker Meredith Emerson, 60-year-old Gary Michael Hilton, was taken into custody in DeKalb County at about 8 p.m. Friday at a Chevron convenience store at the corner of Ashford-Dunwoody Road and Johnson Ferry Road.

According to authorities, Hilton will be questioned by the GBI about his knowledge of Emerson.

Emerson's white van was found near the car vacuum cleaners at the station. A passerby noticed the van, thought it seemed out of place, and called 911.
(more at link) great pics of van

http://www.wxia.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=109059

Vacuuming?? Not a good sign.

BB's right; the roomie said the dog was often let loose up there as opposed to residential areas where she's from...

She worded it sort of funny; I thought the same thing you thought at first, Jinxie.

Okie dokie - My apologies!

So 2 football fields away were the leash and water bottle...and mittens? They didn't mention those and I think they matter.

Meredith can be very agile, fit, and aware but not if caught off-guard by a baton or any weapon.

Hopefully in the AM we will learn more.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/05/missing.hiker/index.html

Investigators found IDs belonging to missing hiker Meredith Emerson along with blood-stained clothes, leading authorities to charge Gary Michael Hilton with kidnapping with intent to cause bodily injury, according to a criminal warrant filed Saturday.

[snip]

Bankhead also said the search was no longer a rescue effort: "This is a search and recovery effort."

:(

Was Websleuths down for awhile? I had trouble getting on, so had to go looking for info. It's being reported that three velour hoodies were found containing a lot of blood, and Meredith is presumed deceased. How sad.

Yeah, that seems to be what the officials are saying, txsvicki. This is just heartbreaking!

I've been in touch with one of her friends, that I know from another board. Needless to say, she and all of her loved ones are devastated.

This is just so horrible. Why?? I was so sure they would find her safe and sound. This is just so unfair.

I am so sorry for her family and friends. I wish this would have a happy ending with her being so strong of body and mind, but I don't know. All that blood does not sound good.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back