GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So can someone summarize the new article? What was the "plausible lead"? When the murders first happened I was able to read the news articles in the Eatonton Messenger but not now! I call B.S. on the Eatonton Messenger making this having to pay only since the murders!

Seriously -- these people have costs associated with gathering the news and putting it out every week. Why would they give it away free? You can buy a copy on the street (anywhere in Putnam County) for 75 cents or online (anywhere in the world) for less than a buck. Pretty sure the plan for subscriber access/online purchase option would had to have been being put in place long before the Dermonds were murdered -- it's not something that happens overnight.

One word summary; FUBAR.. There's only one MSM/Newspaper in Eatonton, GA, and it is a Subscription only; pay per view now.. The Atlanta MSM; TV, etc., has moved on to other news. Is this new policy by Eat. Messgr., due to an increase in viewership since the Dermond murders, to increase the Messenger's revenue...or...to silence the news of the Dermond murders?.. Just curious...

Welcome to GA; 'The home of the good ole boy network', imo..
'Silence by LE via MSM is the predators most lethal weapon..

FF -- See earlier replies re taking local newspaper to task.

I'm an old news junkie who marvels at new technology's ability to bring me news from wherever, whenever I want it. Read the column referenced above to Tomkat -- this was in the works before Dermond murders were known.

Bridgeman says, "There’s no question that this change is driven by the economics of our business. Revenue is required to fund the effort to gather the news of our communities, work with those who want to submit news and information, and create the platforms that get the news to our readers in the format – print or digital – they want it in. We have been pleased to offer the digital content free for nearly three years, and we’re looking forward to the new options the e-edition will bring."

And why would the local paper want to "silence the news of the Dermond murders?" I think you might be grasping here ...

Sorry to take up so much space (three posts?! what was he thinking?!) but the bashing on this topic has bothered me (obviously).

Seriously -- these people have costs associated with gathering the news and putting it out every week. Why would they give it away free? You can buy a copy on the street (anywhere in Putnam County) for 75 cents or online (anywhere in the world) for less than a buck. Pretty sure the plan for subscriber access/online purchase option would had to have been being put in place long before the Dermonds were murdered -- it's not something that happens overnight.

Somebody works for the E Messenger? Seems personal

there are other issues here more important than the Eatonton Messenger IMO

Just logged in to send a link, probably mentioned before but I always thought that the D's were surprised and struck

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/unsolved/btk/index_1.html

Reading on BTK today, Also watched "I survived BTK" the story of the Otero children that survived or (weren't home when family was murdered)

Several things in the full BTK story I found interesting, but the fact that the LE thought a gun was used to subdue his victims since there were no defensive wounds on any of his victims

Which makes me wonder IF INDEED the head was taken to hide evidence but seems rediculous on the other hand that the perp could leave behind DNA in doing the beheading

But I think most of the victims of BTK were stabbed even tho gun used to control the victims, the OTERO family was all involved in judo, so a gun is a powerful thing I suppose

there are a few other things that made me think of this case

no forced entry in a few and also stalked them for years or months before attack, i think the Otero was years, IMBW

also murders were all committed within a 3 1/2 mile radius, i think he lived in that radius, it was familar to him they said, made me think of the fishing boat used, familiar territory

in addition wondered if maybe if gun was used, they did possibly kidnap SD first at gunpoint, then later killed her with butt of gun bft, maybe they shot him and realized they didnt' want to do that again (lot of work in hiding evidence ) or maybe didnt' shoot her because they were somewhere out in the open

IDK, speculating

But the 2nd Aug in about 3 weeks, will be 3 months

BTK struck again 3 months after the first Otero family murder

Sadly or gladly, however your view is, he didnt' strike again after his last 1979 murder for another 25 years, LE needed him to strike again sadly in hopes of new evidence to catch him

Dont' go in your houses without being on guard, perp could be hiding in your house

<BBM for Focus>

Ya know DAMIFINO, Sheriff Sills didn't fall off a turnip truck. He is very aware that a very high percentage of the areas native population were farmers or hunters. Both Reynolds Plantation GW(Linger Longer) and the NC compound were both prior hunting clubs. SS made it a point to describe Mr D's decapitation as being performed by someone with experience and skill. This tells me that the decapitation was likely performed with precision by someone trained in the art of decapitation/dismemberment; martial arts, paramilitary, or military trained.. The members of the NC's security force; Mujahad, were both paramilitary and martial arts trained..Roy Savage JMO

I am sure that SS knew exactly what he was looking at when he saw the clean cut. He knows his constituency. He also knows that you can get instructions on how to do something, but skill and proficiency only comes with practice. My friends who have been hunting and dressing game for years make a clean neat cut.
My posts were not directed at SS overlooking a possible profile, it was to let the websleuths know that in this area, many people would have those skills.
JMO, too.

Probably the only think driving the EM these days in the D's murders, sadly, I never read it but probably twice in 20 years of owning property in Eatonton, but had become a regular once the D's murder occurred, probably many more have increased the traffic to the EM since the case as did myself

But it is what it is

Correct, didnt' mean to make it sound like you stop, you are always searching, always, but in the meantime, you use the circumstances given you, i'm at an empasse in one of my lines but continue to hope for and look for a that one piece to tie it all together and provide more solid proof

surely some differences in murder cases as there are trials to contend with, but was just making a point becuase there is much circumstantial evidence to suggest it could be someone involved in the NC also

Thanks

Maybe I could help with your brick wall.

Somebody works for the E Messenger? Seems personal

there are other issues here more important than the Eatonton Messenger IMO

Just logged in to send a link, probably mentioned before but I always thought that the D's were surprised and struck

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/unsolved/btk/index_1.html

Reading on BTK today, Also watched "I survived BTK" the story of the Otero children that survived or (weren't home when family was murdered)

Several things in the full BTK story I found interesting, but the fact that the LE thought a gun was used to subdue his victims since there were no defensive wounds on any of his victims

Which makes me wonder IF INDEED the head was taken to hide evidence but seems rediculous on the other hand that the perp could leave behind DNA in doing the beheading

But I think most of the victims of BTK were stabbed even tho gun used to control the victims, the OTERO family was all involved in judo, so a gun is a powerful thing I suppose

there are a few other things that made me think of this case

no forced entry in a few and also stalked them for years or months before attack, i think the Otero was years, IMBW

also murders were all committed within a 3 1/2 mile radius, i think he lived in that radius, it was familar to him they said, made me think of the fishing boat used, familiar territory

in addition wondered if maybe if gun was used, they did possibly kidnap SD first at gunpoint, then later killed her with butt of gun bft, maybe they shot him and realized they didnt' want to do that again (lot of work in hiding evidence ) or maybe didnt' shoot her because they were somewhere out in the open

IDK, speculating

But the 2nd Aug in about 3 weeks, will be 3 months

BTK struck again 3 months after the first Otero family murder

Sadly or gladly, however your view is, he didnt' strike again after his last 1979 murder for another 25 years, LE needed him to strike again sadly in hopes of new evidence to catch him

Dont' go in your houses without being on guard, perp could be hiding in your house

Happy Sunday, everyone!

RE: Similarities to BTK...Interesting thoughts and comments, tomkat! I'll always remember his demeanor at the hearing, where he described his crimes. It seemed to be his proudest moment, reliving each detail of the gruesome murders, of innocent people he chose at random. It was chilling! I've always wondered if his family had suspected anything, as they lived together in a very small house. They were also victims, in a sense. The perpetrator of the crime against the Dermonds could be similar to BTK. The main difference, as I see it, was the fact that the Dermonds were in a higher income bracket, thus having a larger pool of suspects, who might have something to gain from their deaths.:twocents:

IMHO

I know I just cleared a fifty year search for someone missing in my family...it's been a very very revealing yet heartbreaking "breakthrough"....It has taken weeks to digest it all. My mom is in a tizzy and I'm left in a daze...but happy. Good Luck in your searches all! Fold3 is another great site for papers and obits and war records when you are at a brick wall but it's not free. It's worth it though as I've found tons of records using their info; Solid good info. Esp war related.

BTK was a census taker as well so very familiar with the people in the areas of enumeration

and also had a city uniform, he was a city worker Code Enforcer or such

Reminded me of the D's possibly opening their door to someone in uniform

He had also watched "In Cold Blood" before committing his first murders of BTK, whcih was mentioned here earlier that possibly someone got the notion from a movie with similar storyline to murders of D's

This case has baffled me and from the get go I felt it was a crime of hatred. I still believe that somehow someone needed both dead in order to collect on policies. That is what I believe today as well. The crime of beheading, bludgeoning is extremely personal. IOW they knew their killers/killer and knew them well. Was there any type of affair by either Mr or Mrs? Any secret life uncovered? If a solid no; my theory is unchanged. LE is building their case....and I'm sure this is about large ins policies. And Cashing in.

BTK was also well dressed or in uniform and big in his church, very quiet calm demeanor

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/unsolved/btk/aftermath_10.html

quuote from site

"The investigation has involved thousands of suspects and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in man-hours, travel expenses and telephone bills"

WOW, what could this do to the Eatonton LE ??? Foxfire can expound, surely this would be a feeling of victory if NC involved

My very first thought and post as well, and it has not left me either but do still consider all possibilities until some most defining evidence comes up or if none, then.....

Also, WOndered how you live to be 89 and to die like this, would think it'd be natural causes that was ones demise at that age

Sadly the family didnt' get to enjoy their nearness and lives into their 90's or better, they could have lived to be 100 or more! Seemed very healthy, what is being reported anyway

This case has baffled me and from the get go I felt it was a crime of hatred. I still believe that somehow someone needed both dead in order to collect on policies. That is what I believe today as well. The crime of beheading, bludgeoning is extremely personal. IOW they knew their killers/killer and knew them well. Was there any type of affair by either Mr or Mrs? Any secret life uncovered? If a solid no; my theory is unchanged. LE is building their case....and I'm sure this is about large ins policies. And Cashing in.

I know I just cleared a fifty year search for someone missing in my family...it's been a very very revealing yet heartbreaking "breakthrough"....It has taken weeks to digest it all. My mom is in a tizzy and I'm left in a daze...but happy. Good Luck in your searches all! Fold3 is another great site for papers and obits and war records when you are at a brick wall but it's not free. It's worth it though as I've found tons of records using their info; Solid good info. Esp war related.

I'm sorry but happy you're family got the breakthrough

Wishing you well

Good for you! Congratulations! Love Fold3 too.

We consider beheading someone very personal yet other killers have decapitated persons when they didn't "know" them. Gary Hilton comes to mind...he did this yet the two women were strangers to him. Maybe it got personal, but this isn't necessarily driven purely by hate against the victim...IMO.

Yes he was emotionless for the most part and very natural in his demeanor in some instances as if it was an everyday discussion about a birthday party!

I think that family says they never suspected anything, you wonder how, but I think he had a separate shop on his property? He kept things there IIRC, or was that someone else?

We had a neighbor across the street from us as a child, he was later charged and convicted of rape, they owned a prominent business and were well known in the community, he was very very quiet, she was the social butterfly, his wife

He had a secret room in the garage, that went under the house through the block foundation, house was built on a hill

Never thought he was weird, just quiet, but I was a teen

So it's possible for the family not to know

certain things come up that one might thing odd but hind sight, you know, afterwards it all makes sense

I dint' know that this is a serial killer like BTK but the similarities were in line with all that 's been posted here in many different instances

was very interesting, still reading the 58 page story, I"m sure I'll probably post again, LOL

have a great day!

I don't think Dennis Rader's family had any idea about who he really was. He did everything right to "fit" and was the most perverted monster underneath his façade. We can learn from him that he had a life then he had his hobby, which caused so much pain and suffering. One constant with the Dermond murder is that it could be anyone among us...I agree with SS on that one.

was hoping for any news. Looks like still spinning wheels and debating cults, Nubians and serial killers. Which means nothing new to chew on.

<BBM for Focus>

Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
One word summary; FUBAR.. There's only one MSM/Newspaper in Eatonton, GA, and it is a Subscription only; pay per view now.. The Atlanta MSM; TV, etc., has moved on to other news. Is this new policy by Eat. Messgr., due to an increase in viewership since the Dermond murders, to increase the Messenger's revenue...or...to silence the news of the Dermond murders?.. Just curious...

Welcome to GA; 'The home of the good ole boy network', imo..
'Silence by LE via MSM is the predators most lethal weapon..

Tomkat - re funny how they started charging after the murders, must be getting alot of traffic and someone saw $$$$$

More likely the local paper charging for access is something in the works for some time -- my guess is that their web hits were highest in the days and first couple weeks after Russell's body was discovered -- they did daily updates then, sometimes multiple updates in a day. If the murders were driving the decision to charge, wouldn't they have done it immediately? The subscription requirement was announced in May, to be implemented in June according to this, which would have been written before the murders were known about ... http://www.msgr.com/opinion/columni...cle_9227b284-d612-11e3-a917-001a4bcf887a.html

FF -- See earlier replies re taking local newspaper to task.

I'm an old news junkie who marvels at new technology's ability to bring me news from wherever, whenever I want it. Read the column referenced above to Tomkat -- this was in the works before Dermond murders were known.

Bridgeman says, "There&#8217;s no question that this change is driven by the economics of our business. Revenue is required to fund the effort to gather the news of our communities, work with those who want to submit news and information, and create the platforms that get the news to our readers in the format &#8211; print or digital &#8211; they want it in. We have been pleased to offer the digital content free for nearly three years, and we&#8217;re looking forward to the new options the e-edition will bring."

And why would the local paper want to "silence the news of the Dermond murders?" I think you might be grasping here ...

Sorry to take up so much space (three posts?! what was he thinking?!) but the bashing on this topic has bothered me (obviously).

Sorry Curie-us, wasn't intended as bashing and welcome to the thread...
Grasping? The Dermonds were murdered May 2/3/2014 and Mr D's torso was discovered May 5/2014.. When was the PPV decision made by the Messenger? Guess, I just have a suspicious mind..

Curie-us, I research missing/murdered persons cases/investigations, looking for patterns, parallels, and common denominators, etc. There is precedence for the local newspapers converting to [pay per view] when there is a high profile m/m person case within their normal viewing area.. One example is The Tallahassee Democrat converted to PPV during the Cheryl Dunlap abduction/horrific murder 12/2007, by serial killer gary hilton, due to the high volume of outside viewership, and imo, to lessen awareness in the Tally, FL community due to commerce, political, & public safety perception issues, etc...
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/politics/2014/07/13/three-vie-city-commission-seat/12589845/
This PPV policy was also adopted by the Dawson Advertiser during the high profile abduction/murder of Meredith Hope Emerson 01/2008, Dawson County, GA.
https://secure.radiatemedia.com/pages/login

Curie-us, let's just say that it's not good for business; real estate, tax revenues, etc., when a horrific crime such as the Dermond's abduction/murder/decapitation occurs in a perceived safe gated community such as RP/GW without answers over the horizon..

Curie-us, Drudge2014 the most watched E-News in the world, does not charge internet viewers for the news; 'The World News'...

http://www.drudgereport.com/
VISITS TO DRUDGE 7/12/14

018,681,422 PAST 24 HOURS
746,691,603 PAST 31 DAYS
10,079,013,710 PAST YEAR

FF -- you probably have a much better view of this than I do and certainly more experience, just doesn't seem reasonable that the local paper would tell readers, "In the next couple of weeks, all website visitors will need to create an account and sign in to get free access to the website; in June, the subscription requirement will kick in" (emphasis added) if it was trying to capitalize on increased readership based on the murders.

Why wait almost 2 months to insist people pay to read the paper online? Why make access so inexpensive?

Just speculating here, and I know you are, too; but I'm chalking this one up to coincidence.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming ... :truce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members