GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps it was written "this week's brutal murder" (singular) due to the fact that on that Thursday, during the press conference, only Mr. Dermond was found. Mrs. Dermond was still missing at that point.
Why would they not include/update Mrs. Dermond being found on May 16th?
Although Mrs. Dermond was not found at 147 Carolyn Drive, she was still found in the surrounding area, so technically two brutal murders did occur. IMOO....
sbm

Yes, Treelights,

I see r/e listing refers to an article written after MrD was found, before Mrs D was found.

Still wonder why r/e listing which prob happened ~ 1-2 wks ago, would refer to stale info from early May (1 murder, not 2)
and call it an assault.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my earlier post:
Neighborhood crime phrasing from http://www.trulia.com/property/31734...-31024#photo-4 seems, umm,unusual?
"05/07/2014.
Assault
At a press conference Thursday, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills says after this week's brutal murder everyone should lock the"
Is it real estate brokerage-speak (euphemizing)?
'A brutal murder' (singular) occurred, although there were two (plural), though same household.
How do two homicides get categorized as 'assault'?
Probably does not matter, except to potential home buyers and sellers.

JM2cts.

JMO, but I don't think that LE is the reason this case hasn't been solved, so I think that LE bashing is unfounded. I still hope, every day, that these murders will be solved...but I would question anyone who blames anyone else on these murders remaining unsolved.

JMO, but I don't think that LE is the reason this case hasn't been solved, so I think that LE bashing is unfounded. I still hope, every day, that these murders will be solved...but I would question anyone who blames anyone else on these murders remaining unsolved.

Montjoy, I respectfully disagree... Imo silence, misinfo, and the failure to utilize all available resources by law enforcement only leads to mounting cold cases, imo...

sbm

Yes, Treelights,

I see r/e listing refers to an article written after MrD was found, before Mrs D was found.

Still wonder why r/e listing which prob happened ~ 1-2 wks ago, would refer to stale info from early May (1 murder, not 2)
and call it an assault.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my earlier post:
Neighborhood crime phrasing from http://www.trulia.com/property/31734...-31024#photo-4 seems, umm,unusual?
"05/07/2014.
Assault
At a press conference Thursday, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills says after this week's brutal murder everyone should lock the"
Is it real estate brokerage-speak (euphemizing)?
'A brutal murder' (singular) occurred, although there were two (plural), though same household.
How do two homicides get categorized as 'assault'?
Probably does not matter, except to potential home buyers and sellers.

JM2cts.

VERY misleading, I imagine it would affect sales of that home and in that area. Ad should rightfully be updated IMO

I can imagine this is a tough case to solve (why IMO anyone qualified to be involved should be) but I do also question why GBI hasn't been called in, they, IMO, would be MOST familiar with Georgia crimes, whereas FBI is nationwide. I'm not sure if they'd get involved at all if not called in, they won't be focusing on the case if not but only others they've been called to help solve. Can't see how they'd know if they might have a connection in their database if they do not have all of the information from this case.

I live in a community north of the city where a number of retirees moved after selling larger homes. In the last 13-14 years there have been at least 5 people die in their homes, all for natural causes of one form or another.

One of those homes is right behind mine, and the young guy who bought it had no idea that the original homeowner died in there. So I guess in Georgia you don't have to disclose that type of info. I sold a property in Atlanta a few years ago, and I seem to remember completing a huge checklist with all sorts of "yes" or "no" answers about the house. This checklist was left out on the counter so that real estate agents could review it with their clients during showings. So perhaps that is where information about violent crimes would be communicated to potential buyers. But we really can't say that a murder occurred in the Dermond house yet, can we? Something evil may have happened in the garage, but we really don't know specifics about where the crime was committed yet.

When this case was first in the news, everyone in the metro area was talking about it, but it seems to have dropped off the collective radar.

Personally I feel an arrest will happen, maybe sooner than we expect. This mystery has been unsolved long enough...

I live in a community north of the city where a number of retirees moved after selling larger homes. In the last 13-14 years there have been at least 5 people die in their homes, all for natural causes of one form or another.

One of those homes is right behind mine, and the young guy who bought it had no idea that the original homeowner died in there. So I guess in Georgia you don't have to disclose that type of info. I sold a property in Atlanta a few years ago, and I seem to remember completing a huge checklist with all sorts of "yes" or "no" answers about the house. This checklist was left out on the counter so that real estate agents could review it with their clients during showings. So perhaps that is where information about violent crimes would be communicated to potential buyers. But we really can't say that a murder occurred in the Dermond house yet, can we? Something evil may have happened in the garage, but we really don't know specifics about where the crime was committed yet.

When this case was first in the news, everyone in the metro area was talking about it, but it seems to have dropped off the collective radar.

Personally I feel an arrest will happen, maybe sooner than we expect. This mystery has been unsolved long enough...

Regardless of where the murder occurred, the FACT is that a beheaded Mr. Dermond was found in the garage that Mr. Dermond owned at 147 Carolyn Drive.
I would think that a potential buyer would Want to know this. I guess then it is up to the buyer to do their homework and find out all they can about the house they
are buying, in addition to the neighborhood as well. I guess a buyer would have to do a lot of homework, and look at Many sources to get their Facts about the home
they are wanting to purchase.
IMOO.

Originally posted by Sophie Valentine

Regardless of where the murder occurred, the FACT is that a beheaded Mr. Dermond was found in the garage that Mr. Dermond owned at 147 Carolyn Drive.
I would think that a potential buyer would Want to know this. I guess then it is up to the buyer to do their homework and find out all they can about the house they
are buying, in addition to the neighborhood as well. I guess a buyer would have to do a lot of homework, and look at Many sources to get their Facts about the home
they are wanting to purchase.
IMOO.

Bumping from a few pages back; Georgia home sellers don't legally have to fill out an actual disclosure form, but they probably should, in order to comply with the state-mandated disclosure obligations.

Originally posted by Foxfire
Home Sellers in Georgia: Disclosures Required Under State Law <Sniped & BBM - Read More>
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...gia-disclosures-required-under-state-law.html

What a Georgia Seller Does Not Need to Disclose

Even though, as a Georgia seller, you generally must disclose known problems with the condition of your home, there are certain specific exceptions under the Georgia statutes. These relate to things that occurred in the home, not the home&#8217;s physical condition.

* A Georgia seller does not need to inform a buyer if any diseased person ever lived in the home, or if a homicide, felony, suicide, or any other death occurred there (Georgia Official Code Annotated §44-1-16(a)(1)).

Additionally, it is up to the buyer to investigate certain information about the neighborhood where the home is located. Georgia statutes specifically state that a seller is not required to inform the buyer if a registered sex offender lives in the area (Georgia Official Code Annotated §44-1-16 (b)). (However, to help the buyer, most form real estate contracts used in Georgia direct a buyer where to look online for information about the location of registered sex offenders.)

Even if the seller is not required to disclose an event on the property such as a murder, a seller still must answer any direct question from a buyer honestly (Georgia Official Code Annotated §44-1-16(a)(1)). So, if the buyer (who may very well do a Google search on your home's address) asks you whether your home was where the gang member was murdered last summer, you do need to answer honestly.

The only time you do not need to answer a buyer&#8217;s question completely and honestly is if it is a question relating to information protected under the Federal Fair Housing Act or Georgia&#8217;s fair housing laws (Georgia Official Code Annotated §44-1-16 (a)(2))

<sniped & BBM>

Two doors down from me, an older lady died in her home. I don't know if they ever told the home buyers. The people that bought the home after the older lady's death had 2 children. The son died in a car crash. The people right next door to me had a daughter that died in a car crash after the other neighbor's son died. My son died in my house. My father-in-law died in his home who is on the opposite side of my home. We found out recently a young cousin of my husband was killed on the property that once belonged to my husband's family where the older lady died. She was struck by lightening. My mother-in-law barely remembers seeing her body still in the field. Other neighbors have had cattle killed by lightening on the property. I guess death is every where. There's no real escaping it. I don't think I would want to know if a death had happened in a house I was buying. On the other hand, a beheading is different than someone dying from old age and if I found out after the fact of buying the house, I might be a little angry.

Bumping from a few pages back;

<sniped & BBM>

:drumroll: :goodpost: Excellent information. Some good poster also gave us a handy dandy link to be able to look up if your potential home was a crime scene. I think it must be on my laptop.

ETA: I don't think this is the original link that was posted, but did a quick google and this came up:

http://www.diedinhouse.com/

It costs though, starting at only $11.99. Might be worth the price to find out if you have suspicions your future home was a crime scene.

Forgot about suicides. My brother-in-law committed suicide. Took years for my sister-in-law to sell that house, but I think the neighbors were very aware when they heard the shotgun blast. She practically had to give the home away.

Two doors down from me, an older lady died in her home. I don't know if they ever told the home buyers. The people that bought the home after the older lady's death had 2 children. The son died in a car crash. The people right next door to me had a daughter that died in a car crash after the other neighbor's son died. My son died in my house. My father-in-law died in his home who is on the opposite side of my home. We found out recently a young cousin of my husband was killed on the property that once belonged to my husband's family where the older lady died. She was struck by lightening. My mother-in-law barely remembers seeing her body still in the field. Other neighbors have had cattle killed by lightening on the property. I guess death is every where. There's no real escaping it. I don't think I would want to know if a death had happened in a house I was buying. On the other hand, a beheading is different than someone dying from old age and if I found out after the fact of buying the house, I might be a little angry.

Off Topic just a bit....
My condolences to you about your family members. God Bless!!

Off Topic sorta; "From 1st murder to identification and appprehension of serial killer in less than 90 days".. "A successful investigation due to inter-agency cooperation and utilizing all available investigative
resources"..

Happening now! Press Conference on arrested serial killer. Partnership in action. APD, DeKalb County Police Decatur PD, GBI, and Marta PD.

Police release new details in case of suspected serial killer <Video>
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/police-say-suspected-serial-killer-admitted-hairst/njTCZ/

Tuesday morning releasing new details in the arrest of a man accused in four murders.
Channel 2 Action News had the only crew at the Five Points MARTA station when Aeman Presley was met by detectives.

Police said a conversation after Presley&#8217;s arrest helped to give them the details they needed to charge him with four murders. When police arrested Presley, officers found a loaded gun and box of ammunition on him.
Police said Presley killed Dorian Jenkins, Tommy Mims, Karen Pearce and Calvin Gholston.
<Sniped - Read More>

Georgia Bureau of Investigation shared City of Atlanta Police Department's status.
https://www.facebook.com/Georgia.Bureau.of.Investigation

You are correct, we do NOT KNOW, so could be outside, elsewhere or ........inside but surely must've been decapitated there, so, since we do not know where he was murdered.............., we do not know where he was murdered

or maybe a little scared, not knowing if the murderer may come back or mistake you for possibly other family members?........since we don't have resolution in this case, it would be unsettling for me

:drumroll: :goodpost: Excellent information. Some good poster also gave us a handy dandy link to be able to look up if your potential home was a crime scene. I think it must be on my laptop.

ETA: I don't think this is the original link that was posted, but did a quick google and this came up:

http://www.diedinhouse.com/

It costs though, starting at only $11.99. Might be worth the price to find out if you have suspicions your future home was a crime scene.

Forgot about suicides. My brother-in-law committed suicide. Took years for my sister-in-law to sell that house, but I think the neighbors were very aware when they heard the shotgun blast. She practically had to give the home away.

I think the police reports on property are public information

There was a story in Dec 20 Macon Telegraph about a murder that occurred in April 2014. Kane Rolison, a 17 year old kid so smart that he had skipped 11th and 12th grades and was in college, killed another college student, J'maal Keyes. Seems that Kane had gotten caught up in a weird video game called Skyrim. He lured J'maal (whom he did not know) into his car, stabbed him to death, burned the body, dismembered it and dumped it in the river to score points in this Skyrim game.
Wonder how many points you would get for killing and decapitation and for killing and dumping a body in a lake?

There was a story in Dec 20 Macon Telegraph about a murder that occurred in April 2014. Kane Rolison, a 17 year old kid so smart that he had skipped 11th and 12th grades and was in college, killed another college student, J'maal Keyes. Seems that Kane had gotten caught up in a weird video game called Skyrim. He lured J'maal (whom he did not know) into his car, stabbed him to death, burned the body, dismembered it and dumped it in the river to score points in this Skyrim game.
Wonder how many points you would get for killing and decapitation and for killing and dumping a body in a lake?

<Sniped & BBM for Focus>
http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.com/2007/01/between-good-and-evil-by-roger-l.html
Retired FBI BAU Profiler Roger L. Depue quote from "Between Good and Evil"-

My work has given me a profound respect for what humans suffer at the hands of evil, and a particular sensitivity for what its victims endure. During every investigation that I participate in, there is always an invisible observer at my shoulder, whose presence I never forget. Regardless of the circumstances of a case, I am always giving voice to its silent victim.

What must this young girl&#8217;s final minutes have been like? Did she cry out while he was repeatedly stabbing her, or keep silent, breathing like a wounded animal, watching for the next glint of a blade? Did her thoughts turn to her parents in those final seconds, when she was overwhelmed by the deepest loneliness she had ever known? Did she experience a dissociative response, the sense of drifting upward and watching her own death as if from above? Or did she sink mercifully into unconsciousness, and feel nothing as her life ebbed away?

Killer in slaying, burning of college student: &#8216;I kept stabbing him ... I&#8217;m sorry&#8217;
BY JOE KOVAC JR.

According to Rolison, he and Keyes were acquaintances. Rolison was a Hawkinsville High School student jointly enrolled at Middle Georgia State when he met Keyes there, at a gazebo designated for smoking.

Rolison has said he and Keyes once smoked marijuana together.

&#8220;They were not bosom friends,&#8221; Oconee Circuit District Attorney Tim Vaughn said. &#8220;(Rolison) said he woke up one morning and decided he was gonna kill somebody.&#8221;

&#8216;WE CRIED AND HE DIED&#8217;

Until Monday, Keyes&#8217; family didn&#8217;t know the disturbing circumstances of his death.

&#8220;It would be nice if I got the absolute truth. ... I wonder what J&#8217;maal&#8217;s last hour was like,&#8221; Veronica Keyes, 48, told The Telegraph last week.

&#8220;Did he cry? Did he call out? Did he see it coming? ... That&#8217;s something a mother needs to know. ... What happened to my baby?&#8221;

Thoughts of the horrible unknown ran through her mind daily.

&#8220;There are days where all I do is cry,&#8221; she said. &#8220;Sometimes I wish it was just a dream, that I&#8217;ll wake up and it&#8217;ll all be over.&#8221;

Asked if her son would forgive Rolison, she said, &#8220;I think he would. And that&#8217;s what he would want me to do.&#8221;

All she hoped was that Rolison would be sent to prison for life.

Aside from that, Veronica Keyes said, &#8220;I don&#8217;t think about the guy. I don&#8217;t allow myself to stare at him. I don&#8217;t want his face to be etched in my mind. ... I just want to remember J&#8217;maal.&#8221;

&#8216;A CARING YOUNG MAN&#8217;

J&#8217;maal Malik Keyes was a New York City native, from the Bronx.

The youngest of three children, he dreamed of being a police detective.

But that wasn&#8217;t his first choice.
In high school he was in Junior ROTC. He wanted to follow in his father&#8217;s footsteps, join the Army, then be in the military police.

In May 2012, upon graduating Hiram High, he went to enlist but was overweight.

He joined a gym, but the pounds wouldn&#8217;t come off fast enough.

College, he figured, might offer another path into law enforcement.

His favorite TV show was &#8220;The First 48,&#8221; a documentary series about cracking murder cases. He wanted to do that.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/11/17/342...ilty-in-disappearance.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Killer in slaying, burning of college student: ‘I kept stabbing him ... I’m sorry’
BY JOE KOVAC JR.

According to Rolison, he and Keyes were acquaintances. Rolison was a Hawkinsville High School student jointly enrolled at Middle Georgia State when he met Keyes there, at a gazebo designated for smoking.

Rolison has said he and Keyes once smoked marijuana together.

“They were not bosom friends,” Oconee Circuit District Attorney Tim Vaughn said. “(Rolison) said he woke up one morning and decided he was gonna kill somebody.”

‘WE CRIED AND HE DIED’

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/11/17/342...ilty-in-disappearance.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

And Rolison also said that he didn't even know Keyes' name.
BTW, Joe Kovac has also done the stories on the Dermonds.

yr bbm

FYI re year of crime, per JOE KOVAC JR. jkovac@macon.com November 17, 2014 .
http://www.macon.com/2014/11/17/3428451_killer-pleads-guilty-in-disappearance.html?rh=1

"Robert Kane Rolison told of Keyes’ April 2013 fatal knifing and disappearance
from Middle Georgia State College, where Keyes, 19, was a freshman
...."

Sickening is at best an understatement. RIP J'maal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tiffanylynne82