GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please do not misunderstand me. I do not buy that he forgot, because I dont believe Cooper would have been silent the entire time. Which obviously cant be proved. So what does that leave? It leaves the big picture, but you and I both know the defense will have an excuse for everything.

They will probably call the entire day a series of unfortunate events. The most obvious to me will be that he was late to work, and I can surmise although he did think it appropriate to stop and eat that he did it only for Cooper because he had already missed breakfast at daycare. Then they will probably claim when he got back to the car and realized the time he became panicked over getting there as soon as possible. Almost everyone can relate to that!

See what I am saying? The big picture isnt so powerful when each negative thing has an opposing innocent explanation that creates a lot of reasonable doubt.

Unfortunately this guy is probably going to get away with murder...and we will see a rise in child car deaths...what a sad and unsettling thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to disagree.

If there are 15 separate things which point to one scenario, even if you can think up an argument or alternative explanation for each of the fifteen events , the fact that ALL fifteen things happened together has to be taken into account when looking at the probability of what happened. I would turn the argument around - what are the chances that all those fifteen things happening together is just a coincidence?

I would contend that having doubt in that case would actually be unreasonable.

Please do not misunderstand me. I do not buy that he forgot, because I dont believe Cooper would have been silent the entire time. Which obviously cant be proved. So what does that leave? It leaves the big picture, but you and I both know the defense will have an excuse for everything.

They will probably call the entire day a series of unfortunate events. The most obvious to me will be that he was late to work, and I can surmise although he did think it appropriate to stop and eat that he did it only for Cooper because he had already missed breakfast at daycare. Then they will probably claim when he got back to the car and realized the time he became panicked over getting there as soon as possible. Almost everyone can relate to that!

See what I am saying? The big picture isnt so powerful when each negative thing has an opposing innocent explanation that creates a lot of reasonable doubt.

BBM

The defense will try and give an innocent explanation for all of the incriminating evidence against JRH. Some of those explanations may seem reasonable to some but not all. I think it will depend on the jury that's seated for this case if one or more will accept enough of those explanations to vote not guilty.

The mere fact that the defense will have to explain so many things may cause a guilty verdict. JMO.

Nope. It's literally a minute after he straps in his child, that he supposedly "forgets" to make the right turn to the daycare center. I don't buy it. And when he texts his wife about "picking up his little buddy" he didn't realize that he actually couldn't remember actually dropping him off?

If a jury believes that RH can be so totally distracted in mere minutes that he forgets his own very AWAKE child....that he just strapped in and kissed...seriously, this man should not even have a drivers license! He could "forget" what side of the road he should drive on...he could forget what a red light means.

If we are to believe he can go so...blank....in seconds...he should never be left alone and unsupervised at all. He could forget to turn the gas range off....he could forget, in seconds, that he locked the door behind himself on a freezing day. He could forget that he only has his underwear on and never put on his pants.

The type of "forgetting" that RH is claiming here is akin to dementia. I defy the defense to find ONE other CASE where an awake child was "forgotten" seconds after contact between parent and child.

Well, he did remember to bring his computer into work with him. I think it is JRH not making the turn to go to daycare after leaving CFA in such a short timeframe that is going to give him a problem during the trial. Nothing pressing at work was going on....he was already late and did not appear to be in a hurry because he stopped for breakfast. jmo

Unfortunately this guy is probably going to get away with murder...and we will see a rise in child car deaths...what a sad and unsettling thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am amazed now and in the past on similar cases that there are people that will excuse baking your child due to "forgetting". JMHO

I have one question though--A lot of states might have an age of consent at 16, but there's also a clause about age gaps--for instance, it's still illegal if the other person is an adult of 4+ years etc. Is Georgia just straight-up 16 with any adult?
JMO

From my understanding the "age of consent" is just that, at that age they can have sex with individuals of any legal age.

Now if they are UNDER 16 then Georgia does have a "Romeo and Juliet" law, meaning if they had sex with another teenager that is within 2 year of age it is not a crime. Just guesstimating on the 2 year age gap, but I know the state has a R&J exception.

You are so right. I fully anticipate hearing all the excuses as to why he "forgot" or was "preoccupied" but........he had several opportunities to realize after going inside that building that he had "forgotten" his son (which I do not believe). Was the car visible from his office? If so, that should have been a trigger. When he received the blanket email from daycare? How about when he went to the car to throw in lightbulbs? How about when he went to leave for the day and that smell of decomp. was so strong, not many could not or would not at least open a window when he left? Yet, he had the callousness to be able to swallow his food during lunch when he had just eaten 2 hours before at CFA, make plans for a movie after work and pull out his cell phone once pulled over while someone else tried to resuscitate his only son? Who does that unless they had a plan in place. Did he think Cooper would just fall asleep and pass away? I don't know but it seems to me this guy enjoyed doing everything he wasn't supposed to be doing during the course of any given day and very little of it had to do with the welfare of his child.

If a jury believes that RH can be so totally distracted in mere minutes that he forgets his own very AWAKE child....that he just strapped in and kissed...seriously, this man should not even have a drivers license! He could "forget" what side of the road he should drive on...he could forget what a red light means.
If we are to believe he can go so...blank....in seconds...he should never be left alone and unsupervised at all. He could forget to turn the gas range off....he could forget, in seconds, that he locked the door behind himself on a freezing day. He could forget that he only has his underwear on and never put on his pants.

The type of "forgetting" that RH is claiming here is akin to dementia. I defy the defense to find ONE other CASE where an awake child was "forgotten" seconds after contact between parent and child.

bbm~ practically everyone I know has inadvertently driven through a red light, including myself. It's kind of a good analogy, actually, imo. What if one of them had their child in the car and the child was killed in an accident caused by mom/dad unintentionally blowing through a red light? Life in prison or the DP? Idk.

I think anyone could explain anything away in a circumstancial case. But when it comes down to it, if you look at every little thing than it paints a very clear picture, in my opinion. Why didn't he go through a drive thru? Why didn't he grab something for Cooper to eat in the car? Why was this person who is afraid of his kid dying in a hot car not taking precautions? Why not install an automatic daily alarm in his phone he so so loves to use for selfies? You strap the baby in, kiss him, get in the car and literally a minute later you forget about him? I just can't believe that. When you add in all the other internet history, KIK chatting, and his behaviour that day= it all adds up to murder for me.

bbm~ practically everyone I know has inadvertently driven through a red light, including myself. It's kind of a good analogy, actually, imo. What if one of them had their child in the car and the child was killed in an accident caused by mom/dad unintentionally blowing through a red light? Life in prison or the DP? Idk.

Key word in your comment - "unintentionally".

Of course not. Unintentional is the key word here. But if there is reckless behaviour that unintentionally leads to death then someone should be charged with vehicular manslaughter.

Of course not. Unintentional is the key word here. But if there is reckless behaviour that unintentionally leads to death then someone should be charged with vehicular manslaughter.

I'm not sure why folks are focused on the word unintentional in my post. That's what the OP was talking about .... forgetting -- which is, by definition, unintentional.

Well, he did remember to bring his computer into work with him. I think it is JRH not making the turn to go to daycare after leaving CFA in such a short timeframe that is going to give him a problem during the trial. Nothing pressing at work was going on....he was already late and did not appear to be in a hurry because he stopped for breakfast. jmo

BBM

which was per testimony is on the passenger seat, which is to the right, which he claims that he all of a sudden remembered Cooper when he looked to his right. It all defies common sense, which is why he was charged and is currently sitting in a jail cell.

I don't know anyone who has inadvertently driven through a red light. I know a couple people that have blown through the yellow/red lights on purpose or ran a red light even.

Key word in your comment - "unintentionally".

And that's what the defense with try and show. That JRH acts where unintentional. JMO.

I don't know anyone who has inadvertently driven through a red light. I know a couple people that have blown through the yellow/red lights on purpose or ran a red light even.

Doesn't matter whether you know them. I do ;)

I'm not sure why folks are focused on the word unintentional in my post. That's what the OP was talking about .... forgetting -- which is, by definition, unintentional.

You're losing me on that thought Karmady. The evidence is stacking up that RH's actions were anything but "unintentional" so I fail to see the comparison.

The following information comes from a an article titled: Heatstroke Deaths of Children in Vehicles it is more of a Fact sheet...anyhow...the main things I noticed:
2014 at least 17 heatstroke deaths of children in vehicles (12 confirmed and 5 pending).
2013 44 heatstroke deaths of children in vehicles (39 heatstroke, 5 most likely heatstroke).
2012 34 hyperthermia (changed her wording) deaths of children in vehicles.
Since 1998 there have been at least 623 documented cases of heatstroke deaths.

From 1998-2013
51% of deaths were from "forgetting" child. (312 children in 15 years).

20 states have laws related to this.

Charges were filed in 49% of all of the deaths and 81% resulted in conviction. There is so much more information there, including what states the deaths occurred and links to more information. I think the 312 children "forgotten" should be investigated further...they probably were investigated...but with the "on purpose making it look like they forgot" mindset? I do recall a case where a daycare worker missed a child that had fallen asleep in the very back of the long van and wasn't dropped off...although he should have had a system in place to count and name all of the children via checklist...I am talking about cases similar to Cooper's...

Website source: http://www.ggweather.com/heat/

You're losing me on that thought Karmady. The evidence is stacking up that RH's actions were anything but "unintentional" so I fail to see the comparison.

I didn't make the comparison. The OP did. I was responding to the OP.

Yes, this is the point some have raised about what is or isn't a routine. To me that is a moot point, it doesn't need to have been a 'fixed' calendar appointment on 'fixed' days of the month in that it was always the 3rd and the 18th. 2-3 times a month, as opposed to 2-3 times a year say, still suggests a regular enough occurence that he would need to explain what was so different on this occasion and only this occasion out of all the other 2-3 times a month occasions that he would 'forget' to take the turn-off to daycare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member