GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
92 guests here at the moment! :eek: :wave:

Why not register with us and give us your thoughts about this case? We would love to hear them!

I don't see why there is a problem with people *also* being interested in technical safeguards.

Said it before, will say it again: the human brain is fallible, just like all our other organs.

You got over 20 million children under 5 in the USA and less than 40 die in hot cars every year because their parent's brain was "faulty". On the other hand, over 5 million people have heart failure, over 2 million people have kidney failure, etc. Unless, the caregiver literally has an Undiagnosed brain tumor or other neurological disease it's not really organ failure in a medical sense so they don't get a "brain failure" pass in my opinion!

A couple pages behind...sorry. I can tell you that I am pregnant with my first, and it is a concern of mine. I have researched PRODUCTS that can help with preventing this. There is an alarm you can put on your keychain and when it is 15 feet from the carseat it will go off. We plan on getting something, because I have no idea what to expect with kids lol. Being from Florida, I've heard of this enough to worry.

I do believe accidents happen, and that is what I'd like to prevent. Usually those accidents happen when you change your routine...not when you are doing the same thing you do every day, like in this situation.

It is not common or normal to forget about a child. Children sometimes fall asleep in the car, but the child is always a consideration when going somewhere in the car. For example, how often have we heard that someone forgot that they had a dog in the car and the dog accidentally died? It may be that it isn't reported, but I suspect that it is more likely that it doesn't happen. People don't forget that they are not alone.

If a person or animal is left in a hot car, it is because the person in charge made that decision.

Ita. Cooper also has blond hair and blue eyes.

I had blond hair as a child. Now it's brown and pretty dark one at that.
In my opinion Cooper looks a lot like his bio dad.

If JRH dropped Cooper off at daycare every day, wouldn't he have gone to the daycare before leaving the building? We get into such routines at work that it would seem he would have a pattern for arrival and departure. You wouldn't deviate from that pattern without really thinking about it or planning something out of the norm.

It's been said that the mother picked up because she worked p/t. I didn't post it and don't know the source, but no one's challenged it and it's been repeated over and over as true. soo...fwiw

Exactly, That is why I said I researched products. I don't need to know how hot it needs to be because I never want to leave my kid in the car at all. Researching that because you are worried is weird.

I totally agree. The only reason to research fatal temperatures is if someone intends to leave a child unattended in a hot car for at least some period of time ... and that, in itself, is the problem.

The more I think about it, I just can't imagine how horrible it would be if RH and CH were my loved ones. How hard it would be..... not as an internet bystander....but as a grandparent, aunt, uncle, parent, cousin, spouse, etc.....to believe or understand how someone (RH) I've known his entire life could possibly be responsible for such behavior. Someone who has never given me reason to doubt them. I would be heartbroken to my core. This whole extended family and those who loved Cooper are in my prayers. This is a pain I hope to never know the depth of.

Good points here...

but... I wonder if more will be revealed about the "real" JRH in the days/weeks/months ahead... From people who know him....(co-workers, fellow referees, etc.)...

:waitasec:

All... JMO

Here is a link with the cost of the daycare and I only see monthly options, nothing about half days. But that just may not be posted on here.

http://child-care-preschool.brighthorizons.com/GA/Atlanta/thd/Frequently-Asked-Questions/

I've never seen a daycare that didn't have options for half days or part-time but full days. I've searched so many in my area and they all offer part-time! I wonder if it's the same cost no matter how often your child attends. Btw, dang, that place is pricey!

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's the law for rear facing car seats up to age 2.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure. :blushing:

Thank you. Mom of 6 here and my baby just turned 8. I don't keep up with the laws and recommendations like I did when they were babies. A rear facing car seat for a 22 month old just seemed off to me. But my kids were very big toddlers so that may have some bearing also.

moo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the Yahoo comment thread that someone posted a link to earlier, a poster mentioned how bad the car would have smelled when JH went out to put something in the car at lunch. This is a valid point. After a large breakfast, Cooper would have had one monster of a poopy diaper and in that heat, the car would have reeked. There is no way he wouldn't have noticed the child in the car at that point. Even a wet diaper in the hot sun will smell bad.

I haven't read everything on this case and want to hear opinions on the rear facing car seat.

Thoughts?

I brought this up before as my niece around the same age faces forward. Plus in these small CUV's anyone as tall as RH would have been very close to the car seat....I can see my 9 month old nephew out of the corner of my eye (in the back seat)when he is in my car. And I'm very short. Oh, and I never left him in the car (or his sister) EVER for any reason. No need to worry or research hot cars.:moo:

on the pricing/tuition stats for the daycare I note that Cooper's tuition would have gone down a bit in two months when he turned two.

2u3epahe.jpg

He was headed to meet friends...
I just realized where he stopped was the
LAST PLACE he would draw a crowd for
miles (if he was just headed home)
Purple arrow points towards Terrell Mill Rd
Green star the next gas station he would pass.
red 911 where he pulled over .

Jmo
Yeah, but why not go back to Chick-Fil-A?

Maybe Coopers mom may want to research "surviving Prison" on the internet. Great information she can pass on to someone who may need some helpful hints.

I haven't read everything on this case and want to hear opinions on the rear facing car seat.

Thoughts?

The new-ish AAP recommendation is a minimum of 2 years/30 pounds rear-facing. Much easier on the neck/ spinr in a serious accident.

I've never seen a daycare that didn't have options for half days or part-time but full days. I've searched so many in my area and they all offer part-time! I wonder if it's the same cost no matter how often your child attends. Btw, dang, that place is pricey!

My kids are bigger now and I mostly was a stay at home mom, but there were periods when I checked daycare prices. I don't remember any offering a half day option, it was full days only but different prices based on the child's age. I live about 20 minutes from where this happened and this may not apply to that part of town, but just wanted to mention that it is the norm here for full day pricing only. But yes, those prices are high!

Leave your radio off and don't use your phone ever. Pay attention to your baby and talk to him/her and use the mirror. I never ever had any problems with remembering my children.

I also thought the shoe idea is brilliant (or the purse idea for women). You aren't going to leave the car without one shoe or your purse. Some folks do like to listen to the radio as the baby sleeps in the back.

Primary caretakers often don't need reminders, my dog typically goes with me on all errands, I never have to worry about "remembering" because it is the normal routine. Even if he isn't with me I still instinctively check the back seat and check the windows when I exit the vehicle.

I don't see why there is a problem with people *also* being interested in technical safeguards.

Said it before, will say it again: the human brain is fallible, just like all our other organs.

Well, because if someone needs some device to remind them they have a helpless vulnerable child in their care, they shouldn't be alone with that child.

I can't find the post right now, but it was abt the child being sick and not going to daycare.
Remember LH said the child had been sick and been in bed w/them for the last 2 nights, IIRC.
But , I really don't think this tragedy has anything to do w/that...imo

*** sorry for the repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads