GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
An unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

Seems to fit, when it is unintentional.

ceasing to take care of a child while in your custody is an unfortunate incident?

It does read that way, but the whole point is to prevent employee absences, so it would be pretty pointless if it didn't apply to toddlers. So Idk. The one here does take toddlers and pre-schoolers because my son went to it once. I think he was about three at the time. They don't let the sick kids intermingle with the well kids or their toys, etc. And they try to keep the sick kids quiet and resting as much as possible.

I'm trying to look into it.... finding a few bits of info here and there. I'm thinking it applies more to say.... kid has strep throat. Taken to doc. Got script for abx. School policy says kid must be fever free for 48 hours before returning to school. Parent stays home first day with kid, but second day kid has no fever (after being on abx for 24 hrs) but can't return to school because of that particular school's 48hr policy. Parent could then bring sick school aged kid to BH for "sick care" and therefore not miss work two straight days.

Quite the "tude" from the "former law enforcement" cough cough...dispatcher.,, huh?

I Am in no way diminishing the important role dispatchers play.

It's just he dispenses advise like an attorney, CEO of a Fortune 500 company, referee at the World Series...

Real "know it all that one."

How's that saying go? Jack of all trades, master at none.

All IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC... He referred to his company as a Fortune 50 company...

:giggle:

Well, because if someone needs some device to remind them they have a helpless vulnerable child in their care, they shouldn't be alone with that child.

Does the rejection of technology include things like remote baby monitors? I could use your argument to propose that if you're going to leave a helpless baby alone in another room without direct supervision, you shouldn't be a parent.

(Honestly, I get why I come down on the "wrong" side of this argument for most people, it's an extremely emotional topic and no wants to believe it could ever happen to them. But if one is so passionate about child safety, why on *earth* wouldn't you want to take advantage of technology that aided in that goal? [modsnip]

IMO... VERY interesting that the ME claimed possible homicide in addition to hyperthermia as COD...

It will be very interesting to find what led the ME to claim homicide (in addition to hyperthermia)

:waitasec:

In the press conference, the officer made it pretty clear that it was ruled a homicide because his death was caused by another person. Calling it a homicde still does not determine whether it was accidental or intentional.

Accidents happen with kids all the time, I'm glad you have never experienced that.

I agree with you that these accidents do happen. I believe, however, the information gleaned from this incident/accident garners attention because of the circumstances.

In reality (and I'm quoting), Mr. Harris, 33, is part of what has become an alarmingly common fact of American life. At least 44 children died of heatstroke last year after being left in vehicles, according to statistics compiled by a San Francisco State University researcher, part of a toll of more than 600 deaths under similar circumstances since 1998. It's important to note, that the vast majority of those deaths were accidents; the authorities contend that Cooper Harris’s was not.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/27/u...inst-father-in-hot-car-death-of-boy.html?_r=0

RIP Cooper!

MOO

Mel

I agree with you that these accidents do happen. I believe, however, the information gleaned from this incident/accident garners attention because of the circumstances.

In reality (and I'm quoting), Mr. Harris, 33, is part of what has become an alarmingly common fact of American life. At least 44 children died of heatstroke last year after being left in vehicles, according to statistics compiled by a San Francisco State University researcher, part of a toll of more than 600 deaths under similar circumstances since 1998. It's important to note, that the vast majority of those deaths were accidents; the authorities contend that Cooper Harris’s was not.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/27/u...inst-father-in-hot-car-death-of-boy.html?_r=0

RIP Cooper!

MOO

Mel

Yeah, I never said this incident was an accident. But I have a problem with people saying anyone who thinks someone would need a safeguard to prevent this shouldn't be around children, and people acting like it is impossible to happen at all. That is wrong in my opinion.

Does the rejection of technology include things like remote baby monitors? I could use your argument to propose that if you're going to leave a helpless baby alone in another room without direct supervision, you shouldn't be a parent.

(Honestly, I get why I come down on the "wrong" side of this argument for most people, it's an extremely emotional topic and no wants to believe it could ever happen to them. But if one is so passionate about child safety, why on *earth* wouldn't you want to take advantage of technology that aided in that goal? That's irrational, especially if you're rejecting safety-oriented technology just to feel morally superior.)

Is another room the inherent danger to a baby that a car is?
Are baby monitors used to remind you there's a baby in the next room?

I am not sure how anyone would know whether vast majority of these cases are truly accidents.
It'd be hard to prove whether someone actually forgot the child in the car or left the child there on purpose.

Yes!

Talk About foreshadowing ....thud!

Can you please add this to the media thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if it's been mentioned,but the Dad played guitar in the church they went to.

distinguish between forgot accidentally & forgot purposely

Intent. I don't think I could explain to you the difference between intending to leave a child in a hot car so they die and forgetting a child was with you because you are used to a different routine. It seems common sense what intent is.

I've never done it, but I do see how it could happen (but I don't think that's what's going on in this case, unfortunately). Below is a Pulitzer prize-winning article about this very topic (it's an excellent article):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...e0fe3a-f580-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html

Yeah i read that a couple days ago & was horrified that all those people killed their children were never charged because it's not a crime to place children in a lethal situation & walk away.

Kinda a movement to diminish the value of human life...well, for little humans.

I am not sure how anyone would know whether vast majority of these cases are truly accidents.
It'd be hard to prove whether someone actually forgot the child in the car or left the child there on purpose.

A clear motive would help.

distinguish between forgot accidentally & forgot purposely

My son was born in November. We started going out and about in January. It was super cold, so in the mornings, I would dress him, strap him in his car seat while still in the house, then I would run out start the car (leaving him in the house) and come back in to let it warm up. I would take all the essentials, ie diaper bag, purse with me on my first trip. Once, after warming up the car, I locked the house up, got in my car, backed out of my drive way and drove down two house before I realized I had left little Niklet, calmly sitting by couch in his car seat waiting for Mommy to come back.

Total accident, brain fart what ever you want to call it.

We've already hashed out this accident/nonaccident, purposeful/nonpurposeful, possible/nonpossible argument on thread 1. I don't really see any need to go down it again. Some of us believe it's possible. Some of us don't. Arguing doesn't bring Cooper back. The real discussion is whether JH purposely did this to his son, which is looking more and more possible than the previously confirmed by LE accidents across the nation. Just like with many WS cases, we must await the info LE is privy to that supports their charges.

Kids accidentally drown every year.... which is negligence, as well. However, SOME parents purposely drown their children. Some of those deaths are horrific accidents... where otherwise loving, attentive parents become distracted. Some are not. We aren't here to determine whether they are ALL accidents, or ALL not, but of JH's intentions pertaining to little Cooper. JMO

We've already hashed out this accident/nonaccident, purposeful/nonpurposeful, possible/nonpossible argument on thread 1. I don't really see any need to go down it again. Some of us believe it's possible. Some of us don't. Arguing doesn't bring Cooper back. The real discussion is whether JH purposely did this to his son, which is looking more and more possible than the previously confirmed by LE accidents across the nation. Just like with many WS cases, we must await the info LE is privy to that supports their charges.

Kids accidentally drown every year.... which is negligence, as well. However, SOME parents purposely drown their children. Some of those deaths are horrific accidents... where otherwise loving, attentive parents become distracted. Some are not. We aren't here to determine whether they are ALL accidents, or ALL not, but of JH's intentions pertaining to little Cooper. JMO

Yeah, I didn't mean to derail. I was talking about researching PRODUCTS vs researching TEMPS and someone then said people who use those products shouldn't be around kids. Irritating. I won't speak of it any longer because people will have their opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member