GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Honestly, I get why I come down on the "wrong" side of this argument for most people, it's an extremely emotional topic and no wants to believe it could ever happen to them. But if one is so passionate about child safety, why on *earth* wouldn't you want to take advantage of technology that aided in that goal? That's irrational, especially if you're rejecting safety-oriented technology just to feel morally superior.)

Searching for devices is very common place, but you seem to be implying there is reliable technology on the market and if you believe this please provide links to such products.

And we have NOT heard that these parents "searched for devices", they searched for the temps required to kill. Huge difference!

My son was born in November. We started going out and about in January. It was super cold, so in the mornings, I would dress him, strap him in his car seat while still in the house, then I would run out start the car (leaving him in the house) and come back in to let it warm up. I would take all the essentials, ie diaper bag, purse with me on my first trip. Once, after warming up the car, I locked the house up, got in my car, backed out of my drive way and drove down two house before I realized I had left little Niklet, calmly sitting by couch in his car seat waiting for Mommy to come back.

Total accident, brain fart what ever you want to call it.

a non fatal lapse in continually caring for your son

The new-ish AAP recommendation is a minimum of 2 years/30 pounds rear-facing. Much easier on the neck/ spinr in a serious accident.

Yes, peeps, please let the rear-facing car seat issue go! That said, legally, he could face forward. I could not WAIT to turn my (fifth) baby forward at 1 year so I could see her. I know it's no longer the recommendation but I feel better seeing her face in the mirror when I look back. But. I have heRd of 4yos still rear facing. As long as the weight and height limit on the seat is safe, it's a parents choice. It has been shown that crossed legs are okay in a crash, the seat protects. Not your choice (or mine), fine, but this alone does not make them weird. Far from it these days.

I don't see why there is a problem with people *also* being interested in technical safeguards.

Said it before, will say it again: the human brain is fallible, just like all our other organs.

product liability & lawsuits

Diana? Is that you?!?!

Sorry to go Off topic but a coworker many years ago did exactly that. Showed up at work with two shoes, same brand and style but two different colors. If I remember right, she had had a baby within the last year before that incident.

Nope LOL --- it's an epidemic!!

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/cobb-county-father-makes-jailhouse-call-sons-funer/ngWGM/

"Ross Harris' father also spoke to the crowd sharing a story about how his son Ross had a dream Cooper was sitting on Jesus’ lap looking down at them, before the boy's death.

He said he was playing a guitar in the dream and Leanna was working in a nursery with other children."

Quoted from media links. I want to effing puke. This makes me want to strangle him myself. What an a$$!!!! Grrr...

is leaving a 2 year old alone in a pool on a pool float with a leak and then leaving for the day an accident?

Like I said, the hashing has already been done. I'm fresh out sticks to beat dead horses.

:poke::deadhorse::truce:

Jmo- she sounds more like a terminally mental/verbally abused wife, that is scared to death that the system is going to fail her and let that killer out to come after her.

ok?

I do not like the tone of it. moo

bbm
I'll add ......... controlled by her dh.

Quoted from media links. I want to effing puke. This makes me want to strangle him myself. What an a$$!!!! Grrr...
Dreams really do come true for him I guess. I hope it ends with life for him.
I believe we will have a responsible jury. Here our jury pools are pulled from registered voters only.

So people that don't care to register to vote don't get called to judge.
*** wrong answer!
It's not just registered voters.
They changed it. Darn.
http://georgia.gov/blog/2013-08-28/jury-duty-myths-and-information

A major point to me that this was deliberate is the fact father parked in the visitors parking lot. This lot is in the direct sun. His normal parking spot was in the employee garage.

This was no accident, he chose where to park.

ceasing to take care of a child while in your custody is an unfortunate incident?

Accidents happen with kids all the time, I'm glad you have never experienced that.

I believe accidents happen, brain farts happen.

I will share a story that happened a couple years back to me. I am still horribly guilt ridden about it but it is the truth and it happened.

Several years back my adult son and his family (wife and my two grands) had to move in with us immediately because of a dire support and housing need. While the adults kids were off retrieving more of their belongings I was left in charge of mine and my grands. I proceeded to walk my two and my oldest grand to my MILs house which is a block away. The walk took about 2 minutes. I was there about 7 minutes when it hit me like a ton of bricks. K!!!! OMG K was at my home, napping away - and I completely forgot she was there and I had just left her there alone.

I hustled home to find her still napping but I shook all that day and part of the next. My heart is racing with fear even now as I type this out. It was scary as all hell to think I could "forget" about my grand. Who was in my care.

All I can say in way of explanation is that I was stressed to the max trying to figure out where people would bunk, how I was going to support four extra mouths, we had no practices or ground rules or routines or anything laid out and I was unaccustomed to having those new members in the household and therefore it never occurred to me that she was napping quietly in a bedroom as I planned to take this little jaunt to my MILs. I mean it simply did not occur. I, to this day could not tell you how I forgot she was there. Maybe with all the other kids clamoring for my attention and in the hubbub of not being used to my grands now being occupants of my house. I honestly cannot explain it to this day. but it haunts me.

Just wanted to say, I am not a perfect person but I am a good and attentive parent and grandparent. And I accidentally forgot a child.

I do not think this case even remotely compares to someone who has a brain fart because their routine is switched up and they are under a lot of stress.

A new warrant issued in Cobb County claims that Justin Ross Harris went from his office to his car, placed something in it, shut the door, and went back into the office-- as his child baked inside.

WSB-TV reports that Harris and his son ate breakfast at Chick-fil-A, and then the dad placed the 22-month-old Cooper into his car seat in the 2011 Hyundai Tucson, and drove to work, leaving Cooper inside.

Sources say that about lunchtime, Harris went back to the car and opened it.

Here is the text of the warrant issued Tuesday-

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/local/warrant-says-dad-checked-car-toddler-died-w55503919

Like I said, the hashing has already been done. I'm fresh out sticks to beat dead horses.

:poke::deadhorse::truce:

Not at all, because if the answer to this:

is leaving a 2 year old alone in a pool on a pool float with a leak and then leaving for the day an accident?

is yes, then forgot in pool on leaking float will be the new forgot in hot car acceptable excuse for killing one's child.

And more Ross Harris's will use it

A major point to me that this was deliberate is the fact father parked in the visitors parking lot. This lot is in the direct sun. His normal parking spot was in the employee garage.

This is new information - at least to me - I understood there was no garage at the Treehouse location - do you have a link? TIA

I've missed this info. Man, I wish I knew the motive. We may honestly NEVER KNOW. Hard to swallow. :::tear:::

Yes, peeps, please let the rear-facing car seat issue go! That said, legally, he could face forward. I could not WAIT to turn my (fifth) baby forward at 1 year so I could see her. I know it's no longer the recommendation but I feel better seeing her face in the mirror when I look back. But. I have heRd of 4yos still rear facing. As long as the weight and height limit on the seat is safe, it's a parents choice. It has been shown that crossed legs are okay in a crash, the seat protects. Not your choice (or mine), fine, but this alone does not make them weird. Far from it these days.

Respectfully we don't know if this was Cooper's usual position so its a valid discussion. We don't tell other posters what they can discuss.:moo:

This is new information - at least to me - I understood there was no garage at the Treehouse location - do you have a link? TIA

No, I do not have a link. I read this on WS, so maybe someone can help me? What I read said the visitors lot was a 10 minute walk from the building he worked in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper