GA - Theresa Parker, 41, Lafayette, 21 March 2007 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL Scandi! One sheriff but many deputies or officers. Then there is the local PD where Sam and Ben worked.

What? I thought I heard that Ben was his supervising officer.

I thought it was a little butchered during the presser. In print its easier to understand the relationship.

The patrol division is commanded by Lt. Kenneth Carreathers and Sgt. James Pledger, who is the departmental training officer.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sgt. Samuel Parker, Sgt. John Scoggins and Sgt. Wesley Steele are shift commanders. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Assistant shift commanders are Cpl. Ben Chaffin and Cpl. Randy Hicks, who is also the departmental canine officer in charge of the dual-purpose detection dog. [/FONT]

http://www.cityoflafayettega.org/publicsafety.htm

~snip~
Walker County Sheriff Steve Wilson said several psychics have contacted his office. He’s skeptical, but is following some of the leads coming from anyone with an idea.

“We had a lady call in who said she was a psychic and asked if we needed her help,” Wilson said. Another caller said, “I’m not a psychic, but I have a feeling.”

If some kind of divine intervention helps in the case, so be it. “I know people are praying that we find Theresa,” he said. “At this point we welcome any information that will help us find Theresa.”

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_...&pnpID=730&NewsID=795357&CategoryID=3511&on=1

OK, Thanks Chico. That makes much more sense now. I always thought a Corporal was higher in rank than a Sargent. I also didn't realize this was being handled by the local PD. They have always referenced the county it is in, which is why I thought is was being handled by the Sheriff Dept - thinking they lived out on acrage by the pond.

WOW, I've got a lot to learn! LOL

OK, Thanks Chico. That makes much more sense now. I always thought a Corporal was higher in rank than a Sargent. I also didn't realize this was being handled by the local PD. They have always referenced the county it is in, which is why I thought is was being handled by the Sheriff Dept - thinking they lived out on acrage by the pond.

WOW, I've got a lot to learn! LOL

Just to mix it up a bit more...most of the coverage is coming from Chattanooga TN. :dance:

ETA The case was handed over to the GBI the day she was reported missing.

Interesting point about how they came to this info - did he fail a LDT or possibly he developed a conscience. We'll probably never know that part.

I just hope they find her.

Utopia

My guess is he gave a false alibi for his time that evening/night/morning whenever this occurred....and something didn't add up. He and maybe others were asked to take LDTs and when his time came he couldn't hack the test. He either flat out lied and his deception was pointed out immediately - or he choked and spilled something during the set up of the LDT. It's very intimidating and honestly, a lot of the times, people just go ahead and give up the goods before the test actually takes place. It's all in the interview prior to the test being conducted. It scares the bejeebies out of a lot of people.

Just to mix it up a bit more...most of the coverage is coming from Chattanooga TN. :dance:

ETA The case was handed over to the GBI the day she was reported missing.

I just saw on a LaFayette website that the town is in the greater Chanttanooga metro area. It is the county seat and has 3 branches of LE there.

Area businesses are showing their support for missing 911 dispatcher Theresa Parker and her family by displaying ribbons.

Workers from LaFayette dentist George Mason’s office were visiting businesses in the LaFayette area Tuesday distributing yellow and blue ribbons, office manager Jennifer Ramey said.

Sheila’s Florist and Debbi’s Flowers and Favors donated the ribbons.

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_...&pnpID=730&NewsID=795358&CategoryID=3511&on=1

A police officer questioned in the investigation of the disappearance of Theresa Parker has now been charged in the case. Corporal Harbin Chaffin from the LaFayette Police Department was booked at the Whitfield County Jail for giving a false statement. He remains behind bars.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/news/index.cfm?sid=7347

Good grief they are reporting that
Chaffin is a superior in the police department to Sam Parker, the estranged husband of Theresa.
Regardless, he gave a false statement and has been charged.

What's that saying they were talking about the other night on CTV Scandi? "Friends help you. Real friends help you hide the body"...or something like that.

Chaffin may have felt he had no choice. The fact that he is being hidden for his own safety says a lot. I imagine no matter what happens, his career as an LEO is over.

ETA: You're right Scandi, you do have a wild imagination!

Walker County Sheriff Steve Wilson announced the arrest of a Lafayette police officer last night.

Corporal Ben Chaffin faces a charge of giving a false statement to police.
Investigators say the charge is related to the Theresa Parker investigation.

Chaffin works on the same shift of Parker's husband, Sam Parker, who is his boss.

Investigators declined to say anything more on their connection.
But a GBI agent called the arrest "progress" in the case.

~snip~

Here is the full, unedited press conference broken up into four parts.

http://wdef.com/node/3817

I didn't find the full unedited press conference broken up into four parts. Maybe they will add it later or something.

That is hilarious! I think it is because in the presser they said 'he' is his superior and they were talking about the man arrested and hadn't brought up Sam's name yet, right?

~snip~

Mr. Chaffin is a supervisor on the same shift as Sgt. Sam Parker, estranged husband of the missing woman.

~snip~

Sheriff Wilson, regarding the arrest of Officer Chaffin, said it was not a resolution in the case, but it was progress.

"And, any progress is significant," he said.

Charles Johnston, brother-in-law of Mrs. Parker, who has served as a spokesman for the family, said Mrs. Parker's family appreciates the work of the many officers and volunteers who have been helping.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/breaking.aspx?articleid=13302&zoneid=41

That is hilarious! I think it is because in the presser they said 'he' is his superior and they were talking about the man arrested and hadn't brought up Sam's name yet, right?

LOL I think I feel comfortable saying they worked for the same LE dept and worked the same shift and that they both had that Wed. night off of work. lol Who was the boss I just couldn't say right now lol

Yea, I went back and copied exactly what the officer said in the presser and it sure sounds like Ben {sp} was a supervisor to Sam, doesn't it?

"Sam is a sargent, corporal was his next in line supervisor on the same shift".

One thing is for sure - no matter where you are or what branch of "service" a sergeant is ALWAYS over a corporal. He (SP) may not have been his (BC) immediate supervisor, but he (SP) outranked him. A corporal can not supervise a sergeant in no "service" (LE or military).

What's that saying they were talking about the other night on CTV Scandi? "Friends help you. Real friends help you hide the body"...or something like that.

Chaffin may have felt he had no choice. The fact that he is being hidden for his own safety says a lot. I imagine no matter what happens, his career as an LEO is over.

ETA: You're right Scandi, you do have a wild imagination!

Oh I agree his career is over.

I haven't been following this thread even though I live in Whitfield County which is a neighboring county to Walker. Obviously this case is big news around here. Chattanooga TN is the closest town with major news affiliates. Atlanta will be the next closest, but we are getting more and better news from the Chattanooga stations. I feel like it is only a matter of time now till we find out what happened to Theresa. I can't see this other officer taking any more heat than he has to, anyway. Especially since Sheriff Wilson gave the family the ok to pretty much say whatever they please to the press today.

Well, now were they working on Wed or not:

http://nooga.com/

>>>snip>LaFayette police officer Ben Chaffin has been charged with filing a false report to a government official during the investigation into the missing Theresa Parker case.

It's reported he told GBI investigators both he and Sgt. Sam Parker were off duty the night of Theresa Parker's disappearance when they were actually on duty; according to LaFayette Police Chief Tommy Freeman. >>>>snip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eNeMeEe