GA - Theresa Parker, 41, Lafayette, 21 March 2007 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Walker County Sheriff Steve Wilson announced the arrest of a Lafayette police officer last night.

Corporal Ben Chaffin faces a charge of giving a false statement to police.
Investigators say the charge is related to the Theresa Parker investigation.

Chaffin works on the same shift of Parker's husband, Sam Parker, who is his boss.

Investigators declined to say anything more on their connection.
But a GBI agent called the arrest "progress" in the case.

~snip~

Here is the full, unedited press conference broken up into four parts.

http://wdef.com/node/3817

I didn't find the full unedited press conference broken up into four parts. Maybe they will add it later or something.

They have it up at that link now. Four video links.

Well, now were they working on Wed or not:

http://nooga.com/

>>>snip>LaFayette police officer Ben Chaffin has been charged with filing a false report to a government official during the investigation into the missing Theresa Parker case.

It's reported he told GBI investigators both he and Sgt. Sam Parker were off duty the night of Theresa Parker's disappearance when they were actually on duty; according to LaFayette Police Chief Tommy Freeman. >>>>snip

Ok all that is missing now is who will be saying DENY DENY DENY!!!!!:rolleyes:

Maybe Chaffin is being detained in Whitfield County because they want to avoid collusion with other officers or personnel that might or might not be involved.

With exception of Mel Gibson mug shots are not flattering but I guess I expected a younger, maybe even vulnerable lad.

Well, now were they working on Wed or not:

http://nooga.com/

>>>snip>LaFayette police officer Ben Chaffin has been charged with filing a false report to a government official during the investigation into the missing Theresa Parker case.

It's reported he told GBI investigators both he and Sgt. Sam Parker were off duty the night of Theresa Parker's disappearance when they were actually on duty; according to LaFayette Police Chief Tommy Freeman. >>>>snip
Oh wow. What a stupid thing to lie about there are records of who's on and who isn't. What am I missing??

Maybe Chaffin is being detained in Whitfield County because they want to avoid collusion with other officers or personnel that might or might not be involved.

With exception of Mel Gibson mug shots are not flattering but I guess I expected a younger, maybe even vulnerable lad.

Wasn't what I expected either.

~snip~

As authorities drained the pond, Mrs. Parker's brother-in-law Jonathan Wilson and sister Hilda Wilson arrived to see if any new information was available.

The family is distraught and the situation becomes harder to deal with as each day passes, especially with the possibility that someone they thought of as family may be involved, Mr. Wilson said.

"We are not one to point fingers and jump on the bandwagon," he said. "But (Sam) not being ruled out concerns us."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/local.aspx?articleid=13255&zoneid=77

There's a map of the area at the article. I just hope the family has answers soon.

Does anyone here think BEN may have killed Theresa? Maybe was ordered to "get rid of her" by Sam, or was perhaps paid to do it? Just thinking here.

~snip~

Chaffin and Sam Parker work the same shift, from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., but not necessarily the same days, Freeman said, adding that he believes the two are friends. Freeman said Chaffin not only faces the felony charge but is under suspension and will undergo an internal investigation as well. The felony charge carries a fine of not more than $1,000 or imprisonment of one to five years in prison, according to state law.

~snip~

Wilson said the pond should be low enough to fully inspect by Tuesday afternoon.

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_...&pnpID=730&NewsID=795414&CategoryID=3511&on=1

I have a feeling that given the history of domestic violence, he did this himself - though Chico's right, that does look like a major scratch on Chaffin's neck.

Just to mix it up a bit more...most of the coverage is coming from Chattanooga TN. :dance:

Yes, Chattanooga is right on the GA border, so it butts up against Walker Co., GA. A lot of people live in N GA and work in Chattanooga-GA has better schools and lower sales tax, but TN has no state income tax. The state line is just across I-75.

I joined today to help clear up some misconceptions regarding the different LE in our area, and also who was the boss regarding Sam Parker and Ben Chaffin but seems you guys already have it figured out!

I was raised in LaFayette but moved 23 years ago to the Chattanooga area which is about 30 miles north of LaFayette.

It was just reported on our local ABC station that the "dogs" led LE back to the pond today so they must be picking up a hit from there.

This is such a sad story! I am not personal friends with any of the parties involved but with LaFayette being such a small town, I do "know" some of them. I was familiar with Sam's 2nd Ex-Wife through my employer, and Sam's cousin worked with me at that same employer.

As for the LaFayette Police Department, which is totally seperate from the Walker County Sheriff's Department, I do know several of the top ranking officials. It was common knowledge when I lived there, that the officers were not always what you expect a police officer to be. Several of the officers who were there when I lived there did things that I now know to be definately NOT becoming an officer of the law but never got in trouble to my knowledge. I do know that Tommy Freeman, (the head of the LaFayette Police Department), has only been on the job for about 3 weeks so he really does not know any of the officers that he is in charge of. Wonder if he is second guessing his decision to come to LaFayette?

I went to High School with Steve Wilson, Sheriff of the Walker County Sheriff's Department and he was/is a great guy! Don't think you'll find too many skeleton's in his closet!

The bottom line is that Theresa's family is suffering and I hope they at least get some kind of resolution. And whomever is responsible for this, will pay dearly.

NGCitizen

I joined today to help clear up some misconceptions regarding the different LE in our area, and also who was the boss regarding Sam Parker and Ben Chaffin but seems you guys already have it figured out!

I was raised in LaFayette but moved 23 years ago to the Chattanooga area which is about 30 miles north of LaFayette.

It was just reported on our local ABC station that the "dogs" led LE back to the pond today so they must be picking up a hit from there.

This is such a sad story! I am not personal friends with any of the parties involved but with LaFayette being such a small town, I do "know" some of them. I was familiar with Sam's 2nd Ex-Wife through my employer, and Sam's cousin worked with me at that same employer.

As for the LaFayette Police Department, which is totally seperate from the Walker County Sheriff's Department, I do know several of the top ranking officials. It was common knowledge when I lived there, that the officers were not always what you expect a police officer to be. Several of the officers who were there when I lived there did things that I now know to be definately NOT becoming an officer of the law but never got in trouble to my knowledge. I do know that Tommy Freeman, (the head of the LaFayette Police Department), has only been on the job for about 3 weeks so he really does not know any of the officers that he is in charge of. Wonder if he is second guessing his decision to come to LaFayette?

I went to High School with Steve Wilson, Sheriff of the Walker County Sheriff's Department and he was/is a great guy! Don't think you'll find too many skeleton's in his closet!

The bottom line is that Theresa's family is suffering and I hope they at least get some kind of resolution. And whomever is responsible for this, will pay dearly.

NGCitizen

Welcome to WS! Yes, whoever is responsible for her disappearance should pay dearly. Thoughts and prayers to her family is all we can really offer. They just must be frantic with worry but hopefully have some resources to help them thru this horrible horrible time. Someone to remind them to eat etc. It's just the worst.

NGCitizen,
Thanks for sharing such an informative post with us and thanks for enlightening us to some of those possibly involved with Theresa's disappearance. If you can, stick around. I like your writing style.:)

Welcome to WS's NG, and thank you for your informative post.

I'm sure it is most difficult to 'know' people involved. It brings emotions so much closer home. I sincerley hope that Theresa may be found and that her family and friends may find justice and closure.

Welcome NGCitizen! I'm so sorry for what your hometown is going through. I'm sure its been very difficult on everyone. Thank you for sharing.

Well thank you all!:)

I'll be around for sure. This case has me captivated too......You all seem to really be on top of the reports, as soon as even I see them, but I possibly can help when there is a question about the area or people involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eNeMeEe