Found Deceased Germany - Liam Colgan, 29, Scottish tourist, Hamburg, 10 Feb 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
I am saddened by the negativity here. This is about Liam. He is loved and missed.

Just checking in. For the record, I am officially obsessed. Liam, where are you?!

I am saddened by the negativity here. This is about Liam. He is loved and missed.

I don't consider it negativity more practicality. He is loved and missed but that does not make him alive. Unfortunately I think he is deceased. He had drunk a large amount of alcohol, was split from friends and near water, it seems to happen again and again.

As people have said: someone intoxicated near water - we know how tragic accidents can happen - have any searches of the river taken place?

I don't consider it negativity more practicality. He is loved and missed but that does not make him alive. Unfortunately I think he is deceased. He had drunk a large amount of alcohol, was split from friends and near water, it seems to happen again and again.

I understand the practical side. Sometimes I look at look at things from a different angle though. That’s why we’re here. We offer our thoughts knowing that not everyone will agree on some points.

As people have said: someone intoxicated near water - we know how tragic accidents can happen - have any searches of the river taken place?

Yes I think they did at the beginning but due to the cold and extremely limited visibility could not send any divers down there. Also it was said that the Elbe is not only very deep but also very wide and has strong currents. So the limited search on the water did not bring any results.

I think the family should hire one of those water search dogs and go over the area Liam might have fallen in. A few posts back someone quoted an article that said that bodies in water don't move very far, so it might be worth checking the Elbe again. (Although I don't know if said strong current might move a body further than what would be 'normal'.)

Also, my mind keeps coming back to that overgrown patch of green just to the West of where Liam was last seen (Michelwiesen), called Venusgarten. I still wonder whether it has been searched thoroughly. He might have passed out in there.

Of course it is important to keep hope alive and stay optimistic, but in this case, and with so much time passed, I feel it is more likely that Liam is deceased, so another thorough search of the area surrounding where he was last seen is warranted imo.

Btw, Welcome to WS, BuddhaTheIllFigure! :)

I understand the practical side. Sometimes I look at look at things from a different angle though. That’s why we’re here. We offer our thoughts knowing that not everyone will agree on some points.

I am sorry but I still do not understand "negativity", or a "different angle"

Are you saying if we all hope that he is still alive, he will be?
I

Staying positive and assuming Liam is still amongst us, if I were forced to guess where he would go....I'd vote for Amsterdam or Copenhagen. Everyone speaks English there, and lots of jobs in restaurants, etc.

Yes I think they did at the beginning but due to the cold and extremely limited visibility could not send any divers down there. Also it was said that the Elbe is not only very deep but also very wide and has strong currents. So the limited search on the water did not bring any results.

I think the family should hire one of those water search dogs and go over the area Liam might have fallen in. A few posts back someone quoted an article that said that bodies in water don't move very far, so it might be worth checking the Elbe again. (Although I don't know if said strong current might move a body further than what would be 'normal'.)

That was me. I was surprised to learn that bodies tend to resurface fairly close to where they went in, largely because when they sink the current near the riverbed is much slower than that closer to the surface. That said, I would want to know about the difference between the riverbed and surface currents of the Elbe at this time of year. It's possible that the extreme cold of the water may delay putrefaction, and therefore the re-surfacing of the body, while the lower current slowly trundles it further downstream than might be expected.

Staying positive and assuming Liam is still amongst us, if I were forced to guess where he would go....I'd vote for Amsterdam or Copenhagen. Everyone speaks English there, and lots of jobs in restaurants, etc.
Employers have to ensure their employees are allowed to work in the EU. With no passport how do you suggest he proves this? Any employers that does not do these checks only tend to hire illegal workers that are easily exploitable rather than a British white guy who had a comfy Royal Mail salary.

This theory also suggests Liam must be fully aware of his surroundings so is perhaps a tad offensive to say he'd just up and leave his family and friends to start a new life.

Employers have to ensure their employees are allowed to work in the EU. With no passport how do you suggest he proves this? Any employers that does not do these checks only tend to hire illegal workers that are easily exploitable rather than a British white guy who had a comfy Royal Mail salary.

This theory also suggests Liam must be fully aware of his surroundings so is perhaps a tad offensive to say he'd just up and leave his family and friends to start a new life.

I’m thinking more along the lines of sweeping for his super and so forth. I am also suggesting Liam might be taking a bit of a time out from life. I’m sticking to this theory, although, admittedly, the odds are against it. Rather than trying to offend as you suggest, I am aiming to explain his absence. (In the event he is still living).

Here’s to long shots and improbable odds! Come home Liam!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/mp-slams-uk-government-response-12194213
MP slams UK Government response on missing Inverness man Liam Colgan
March 15 2018
A statement on the Help Find Liam Colgan campaign site said: "We reiterate, the search for Liam is still very much ongoing.

"There are still sightings coming in and we firmly believe he is waiting to be found."
Drew Hendry called for Ministers to be sent to the House of Commons to explain why they have failed to respond for three weeks.

W

What makes you think this? I just do not understand what makes you think he has
just upped and left.

W

What makes you think this?
Proximity to Hamburg, and the language.
A good place to go regroup.
And remember the dogs followed his scent to the rail station and it stopped, suggestive of departure.

H

Have to say I completely agree ,this would like giving them a slap in the face.
I would love for him to be found safe, and really hope he is.

Proximity to Hamburg, and the language.
A good place to go regroup.
And remember the dogs followed his scent to the rail station and it stopped, suggestive of departure.

If he is still alive I am amazed he has managed to keep his head down, a Scots accent is not the easiest to tone down as it were.

He's been missing for five weeks. Time to circulate an edited picture showing him with a beard, little bit more hair, etc?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clue22349
Back