Germany/Portugal - Christian Brueckner, 27 @ time of 1st crime (2004), charged with sexual assault crimes, Praia de Rocha, Portugal. #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The prosecution are going to be storming back.

It will be better for us with a substitute judge and gives the defence the belief they have had a small early victory, but we’ll come storming back next week.

Yeah this take is silly. Everyone should want the lay Judge off the case! The defence has done the prosecution a favour by removing a potential appealable issue.

There will always be a counter argument regarding any element of CB’s case & the evidence against him. I acknowledge that but I think in this instance you’re reaching just a tad too much.

People who came forward at the time, or people who worked there at the time or people who lived their at the time or people who stayed there at the time, may very well recognise CB. They may be able to substantiate that in other ways & they’ll obviously be assessed as to whether they’re a credible witness. IMO people will have known him, have seen him, tourists will have taken pictures with him in the background & people will undoubtedly see his face in the news & remember him. His pitted-skin/pocked-marked face is a rather unusual & no doubt an easy feature to remember.

Chalking future witnesses off because CB’s face has been in the media, may, as I said, be a bit too much of a reach.
Good grief you're assuming quite a lot in that post .

The biggest difference in my opinion is that in an adversarial system the jury start knowing nothing about the case and then each side presents their theory, evidence and witnesses. It's a battle between two competing theories of the case, in which the judge controls the proceedings and decides what things the jury can hear about. Then the jury decides.

In the german inquisitorial system, the judges already know everything about the case so far. Now is their chance to ask questions and get closer to the truth. Prosecutor and defence lawyers are participants in that process who can also ask questions of witnesses for example. But they are not presenting a case like in the UK.
So this is like the French system ?

I said it was gonna come thick and fast, who's seen the files? Caveat it originated in the sun, but the mail run with it ?

Probably so, but when the rape occurred there may have been little detailed publicity, so the witness might not have been aware that a crime had taken place around that time and area.
Sounds weak though, as how can anyone be sure about time and date almost twenty years later ?
Perhaps you’re right on this part of it.

The only witness statements that could actually implicate CB in these crimes are from his acquaintances that he shared info with. Then the question is, why didn’t they come forward at the time.

Statements or photos from the public are pretty much meaningless, IMO because he lived in the area - they would need to somehow show he was involved in these crimes. I’m talking about the rapes here.

IMO, any info given to the police now, can be challenged due to the profile of the MM case and CB’s face all over the media.

I have never followed a French case in my life! It seems to be some kind of mix between adversarial and inquisitorial according to WIKI.
I'm mistaken . The judge gathers information from the start from the police who initially report to him .

I said it was gonna come thick and fast, who's seen the files? Caveat it originated in the sun, but the mail run with it ?

I don’t understand how this can work.

CB was arrested in 2018 in Italy. He has been in custody since.

HaB came forward after the 2020 appeal and this is when her comments about the scar/tatoo/ladder in tights became public.

So when did CB have the birthmark removed?

Am I missing something?

I don’t understand how this can work.

CB was arrested in 2018 in Italy. He has been in custody since.

HaB came forward after the 2020 appeal and this is when her comments about the scar/tatoo/ladder in tights became public.

So when did CB have the birthmark removed?

Am I missing something?
You're not missing anything, it's a narrative being presented imo, the line about hoping for a confession if CB is jailed for a long time is a nonsense, Mark Rowley in 2017 summed it up.

There are odd headlines and odd stories in newspapers on a regular basis and most of those are nonsense.

Great evidence if true!

I kind of wonder why police had a "full scan" of him on file - do police forces really have such things?

And by the time the HB case went public he was in prison, so how did he have surgery? or did he have the surgery a long time ago?

Great evidence if true!

I kind of wonder why police had a "full scan" of him on file - do police forces really have such things?

And by the time the HB case went public he was in prison, so how did he have surgery? or did he have the surgery a long time ago?
We'll hear about soon it enough if true.

Last edited:
Is CB pleading not guilty to the 5 charges ? Is it known what his pleas were in previous cases?

Great evidence if true!

IMO it seems very unlikely that CB would have had a birthmark removed because he knew a birthmark/tatoo/rip in the tights was a part of what Hazel saw. Because I can’t see anywhere where that was common knowledge until after CB was in prison.

If the reports about him having several cosmetic procedures are true, then perhaps it’s that. But imo the story doesn’t seem credible enough to make meaningful assumptions.

Jaw readjustment & teeth alignment would be more likely as a result of trying to hide from a crime, because that’s something that witnesses said & was known publicly.

The point remains the same. People will recognise CB from around that time
Why should they ? He will have meant nothing to most people who might have momentarily seen him. I agree he might be on some photographs, but people aren't going to remember him just because he was somewhere in the background of their life

Why should they ? He will have meant nothing to most people who might have momentarily seen him. I agree he might be on some photographs, but people aren't going to remember him just because he was somewhere in the background of their life
True to a point but you’ve missed the context to the other.

People who came forward at the time & gave eye witness accounts may well recognise it was him.

Or (for example) Jim the gardener who’d borrowed a rake from CB the day before, who’d only have known CB’s presence was relevant to the case in 2020.

The Sun reports about earlier records, made by the police, of the distinctive birthmark, Hazel told the investigators about....
How would CB have known that before he was in prison?

That’s the part that’s making me doubt the Sun’s article

How would CB have known that before he was in prison?

That’s the part that’s making me doubt the Sun’s article
Given the sun is not recognised as a reliable source on here, all reports from that outlet ought be regarded with the disdain it probably deserves, ask the residents of Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adr5879