Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally wonder when that tidbit was actually given to the police. You see, it was Amber Costello. She and her roomies had conned the "Ogre" type guy by her pretending her "boyfriend" was coming and RH ran out, leaving behind his payment for services not rendered. He called the next day and wanted to remeet, but somewhere other than her place because of the "boyfriend." It was mentioned that Costello and her roomies were into drugs. Also, they were cons and prostitutes. Her roommates did not report her missing. Once the body was discovered and ID'd, naturally, LE interviewed those involved. But do you really believe it's likely they just spilled all the details? Could that have been a new detail that someone finally admitted after the formation of the Taskforce in January 2022 led to lots of follow-up re-interviewing? I can't see Costello's friends just blurting out all that information early on.
I think it was known way back, years ago. With all the corruption then, it's no wonder it fell through the cracks/was ignored, etc.

I personally wonder when that tidbit was actually given to the police. You see, it was Amber Costello. She and her roomies had conned the "Ogre" type guy by her pretending her "boyfriend" was coming and RH ran out, leaving behind his payment for services not rendered. He called the next day and wanted to remeet, but somewhere other than her place because of the "boyfriend." It was mentioned that Costello and her roomies were into drugs. Also, they were cons and prostitutes. Her roommates did not report her missing. Once the body was discovered and ID'd, naturally, LE interviewed those involved. But do you really believe it's likely they just spilled all the details? Could that have been a new detail that someone finally admitted after the formation of the Taskforce in January 2022 led to lots of follow-up re-interviewing? I can't see Costello's friends just blurting out all that information early on.

I was thinking that it could have been old info that was overlooked in error. If the police were swamped with calls/tips/info at the time.

Mostly because ........ "A comprehensive review of every item of evidence and information in this investigation was undertaken by the team . March 14, 2022, approximately two months into the renewed joint investigation, this comprehensive review led to the discovery of a first-generation Chevrolet Avalanche that was registered to Defendant Rex A. Heuermann at the time of these murders.

(from the bail document)

I was thinking that it could have been old info that was overlooked in error. If the police were swamped with calls/tips/info at the time.

Mostly because ........ "A comprehensive review of every item of evidence and information in this investigation was undertaken by the team . March 14, 2022, approximately two months into the renewed joint investigation, this comprehensive review led to the discovery of a first-generation Chevrolet Avalanche that was registered to Defendant Rex A. Heuermann at the time of these murders.

(from the bail document)

It could have been overlooked for sure. Or maybe they didn't take it totally seriously. Like, you scammed/robbed someone and then the next day you meet this person again away from the safety of your home? They might have dismissed this or not taken it seriously until other stars started aligning.

Well FWIW, I don't think he was wearing any kind of hairpiece when he was arrested.

In the profile shot in this article, it just looks like tousled bedhead to me.

If it's a hairpiece, it's the most unevenly cut one I've ever seen.

Not that this is important in the least in the big scheme of things.

GOOD. And I don't expect they will come up empty.

The arrest of suspected Gilgo Beach killer Rex Heuermann could mean justice for an unknown number of additional victims thanks to a key piece of evidence: Heuermann’s DNA, NYPD sources told The Post Saturday.

The department plans to compare the accused serial killer’s genetic material — obtained from a discarded pizza crust, then matched to DNA found on the body of victim Megan Waterman — against its backlog of cold cases.

“His DNA was never in the system until they arrested him,” the source said. “Now we can compare it to other crimes.”

Link: NYPD will use DNA obtained off pizza crust to possibly link Gilgo Beach suspect to cold cases: sources

I find it very interesting that so far we have not heard from anyone who worked at RH's business.

What would they have to lose? Not their job, certainly--that's already gone.

Okay I'm kind of off in a rabbit hole of my own mind, but do those staffers that were pictured on his business website even exist?

Last edited:
I’m still struggling to imagine two killers dumping bodies so close to each other. But I also can’t imagine he’s responsible for all the victims either.

Anyone believe he’s responsible for many more than the gilgo 4 and theorize why he would switch things up? (No burlap sacks, dismemberment..etc)..

Sorry if this has been discussed - skimmed a lot to catch up
The first four victims were dismembered and remains left in multiple places, including the Gilgo Beach. They were also seemingly found in other locations much quicker (between 1996 and 2003). IMO, if the same perp did all the killings, they abandoned dismemberment but instead tried to better hide the bodies. After the Gilgo Beach discoveries in 2010 they might have stopped.

...If it's a hairpiece, it's the most unevenly cut one I've ever seen.
If it isn't a hairpiece, then he lucked out with good hair with rich color, not seeing any grays yet, unless he colors it. I think it's important enough to consider though. None of his hair was found on the victims, just his wife's hairs.

If it isn't a hairpiece, then he lucked out with good hair with rich color, not seeing any grays yet, unless he colors it. I think it's important enough to consider though. None of his hair was found on the victims, just his wife's hairs.
I thought his hair was found on Waterman
I think that is right.

The first four victims were dismembered and remains left in multiple places, including the Gilgo Beach. They were also seemingly found in other locations much quicker (between 1996 and 2003). IMO, if the same perp did all the killings, they abandoned dismemberment but instead tried to better hide the bodies. After the Gilgo Beach discoveries in 2010 they might have stopped.
BBM
This is exactly what I think too.....

Well FWIW, I don't think he was wearing any kind of hairpiece when he was arrested.

In the profile shot in this article, it just looks like tousled bedhead to me.

If it's a hairpiece, it's the most unevenly cut one I've ever seen.

In the photos that I have seen, many look like he has a bad toupee or hair piece. Only time will tell.

JMO.

With all respect, the bail affidavit says otherwise. The DNA on the pizza crust was matched to the hair found on Megan Waterman's body.

Pages 30 and 31:

On or about June 12, 2023, Forensic Laboratory #2 was able to determine as to the MALE HAIR ON WATERMAN and the swab from the pizza crust, that the “mitochondrial DNA profile(s) are the same,” specifically at a rate that would, as per the EMPOP database, exclude 99.96% of the North American population from the MALE HAIR ON WATERMAN. Based on the foregoing, while 99.96% of the North American population can be excluded from the MALE HAIR ON p. 31 31 WATERMAN, it is significant that Defendant Heuermann cannot be excluded from the male hair recovered near the “bottom of the burlap” utilized to restrain and transport Megan Waterman’s naked and deceased body.

Link: DocumentCloud

When reading the court documents, four things stand out;

-He is a pedophile.
-He is NOT responsible for the AC4 murders, nor the torso murders. He did not look them up.
-He did look up "Asian twink", which may be related to the Asian male.
-He was not THAT careful.
Could some of his searches have been omitted from the court documents due to other secretive investigations?

I thought his hair was found on Waterman
I think that is right.
Oops, sorry, you're right.
With all respect, the bail affidavit says otherwise. The DNA on the pizza crust was matched to the hair found on Megan Waterman's body.

Pages 30 and 31:

On or about June 12, 2023, Forensic Laboratory #2 was able to determine as to the MALE HAIR ON WATERMAN and the swab from the pizza crust, that the “mitochondrial DNA profile(s) are the same,” specifically at a rate that would, as per the EMPOP database, exclude 99.96% of the North American population from the MALE HAIR ON WATERMAN. Based on the foregoing, while 99.96% of the North American population can be excluded from the MALE HAIR ON p. 31 31 WATERMAN, it is significant that Defendant Heuermann cannot be excluded from the male hair recovered near the “bottom of the burlap” utilized to restrain and transport Megan Waterman’s naked and deceased body.

Link: DocumentCloud
You're right. Thank You for supplying the info. I went looking for more info and found this, too.

"The second lab determined that DNA on a swab of crust matched the mitochondrial DNA profile of male hair found on burlap used to restrain and transport victim Megan Waterman."

Hair of suspect’s wife also found on 3 Gilgo Beach victims

The hair of Heuerman's wife was found on or near three of the victims, prosecutors said in a bail application.

A hair was recovered from the buckle of one of the belts found binding the body of Maureen Brainard-Barnes.

Two female hairs were recovered on the body of Megan Waterman, who was found bound by tape. One hair was found from “outside the head area” and another from “the tape of the head area.”

Another female hair was found on a piece of tape inside burlap wrapping found on the body of Amber Costello.

All those female hairs were sent to an outside forensics laboratory, which in July 2022 determined they belonged to a woman who was not any of the victims.

On July 21, 2022, an undercover Suffolk County Police Department detective recovered 11 bottles from a trash receptacle in front of Heuerman’s home. The bottles were swabbed and the samples sent for testing.

In February, the lab concluded that one of the DNA profiles generated from the bottles matched the same “mitochondrial haplogroup” as the female hairs recovered from the three victims.

Based on the investigation and evidence, it was determined the hair belonged to Heuermann’s (sp) wife.

As the investigation found that Heuermann’s wife was out of state at the time of the three women’s disappearances and murders, “it is likely that the burlap, tape, vehicle(s) or other instrumentalities utilized in the furtherance of these murders came from Defendant Heuermann’s residence, where his wife also resides, or was transferred from his clothing.”​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader