Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the DM, they are still married and have an adult daughter.
Thank you, now I also found the line:
Heuermann was married once in 1990 and again years later to his current wife (Dailymail article)
So I am still interested in the time of the divorce from first marriage. Probably earlier. But he is also somewhat likely to have earlier victims, IMO.

From page 2, linked above, bbm (wonder if he lurked on WS?):

As described below, based on the serious, heinous nature of these serial murders, the planning and forethought that went into these crimes, the strength of the People’s case, the length of incarceration the defendant faces upon conviction, the extended period of time that this Defenda t was able to avoid apprehension, his recent searches for sadistic materials, child *advertiser censored*, images of the victims and their relatives, counter-surveillance conducted online as to the criminal investigation, his use of fictitious names, burner email and cellphone accounts, and his access to and history of possessing firearms, the only means to ensure Defendant Rex A. Heuermann’s return to court is to remand him without bail.

in general i am not into commenting on people’s body shape it is not polite but i can’t help but notice he is a very large man - an average or small person wouldn’t stand a chance once he was on top of them strangling or something. how terrifying for the victims if he is the perp. wow. what a helpless feeling that had to have been in the last moments of life

Is this cut off or are there only 3 named vics? Maureen is missing. The lesser included offenses follow immediately after 3rd name. Any idea?

From the released documents (note on page 3):

Although the defendant is not yet charged with any crimes as to the disappearance and murder of Ms. Brainard-Barnes, as set forth below, Defendant Rex A. Heuermann is the prime suspect in her death and the investigation, which is continuing and is expected to be resolved soon. Moreover, there is substantial evidence of Defendant Heuermann’s involvement in the disappearance and death of Ms. Brainard-Barnes, which evidence closely fits the modus operandi of the Defendant in relation to the deaths of the other three women and which supports the current charges. As such, this bail application contains descriptions of that evidence which demonstrates the strength of the People’s case as currently charged.

Is this cut off or are there only 3 named vics? Maureen is missing. The lesser included offenses follow immediately after 3rd name. Any idea?

I think there's more than one killer, possibly working together.

For instance, there's the Manorville, NY connection for one of the Gilgo 4, Melissa Barthelemy.

Melissa's sister, Amanda, received calls from a stranger telling her her sister was dead, etc. But her sister, Melissa< had also been making calls to Manorville, NY from her cell phone just before her disappearance. The other suspect in some of the murders was John Bitroff. Two of the LI victims he was suspected of murdering had body parts discovered both in Manorville, NY and Gilgo Beach area.

The calls became increasingly disturbing and eventually culminated in the caller telling Amanda that her sister was dead and that he was going to "watch her rot." Police traced some of the calls to Madison Square Garden, midtown Manhattan, and Massapequa, but were unable to determine who was making them.[27] Barthelemy's mother noted that there were "a lot of calls to Manorville" from her daughter's phone around the time of her disappearance.[28] In September 2017 John Bittrolff, a carpenter from that town convicted of two other murders, was named as a suspect in the LISK cases.[28] Barthelmy was 4 ft 10 in (1.47 m) tall and 95 pounds (43 kg). She had been strangled.[6]

Bitroff went to prison for 2 other murders not related to the Long Island/Gilgo beach victims.

It's also possible that both Bitroff and Heuermann were soliciting services from Melissa via Craigslist. Disturbing odds of getting lured by a serial killer when doing sex work via Craigslist.

ETA: It looks like Melissa Barthelemy is listed in his bail docs as one of the murders Heueremann is accused of committing, per link above.

Hes only been charged with 3 counts. He wasnt charged with Maureens murder

"Although the defendant is not yet charged with any crimes as to the disappearance and murder of Ms. Brainard-Barnes, as set forth below, Defendant Rex A. Heuermann is the prime suspect in her death and the investigation, which is continuing and is expected to be resolved soon."

Although the defendant is not yet charged with any crimes as to the disappearance and murder of Ms. Brainard-Barnes, as set forth below, Defendant Rex A. Heuermann is the prime suspect in her death and the investigation, which is continuing and is expected to be resolved soon. Moreover, there is substantial evidence of Defendant Heuermann’s involvement in the disappearance and death of Ms. Brainard-Barnes, which evidence closely fits the
modus operandi of the Defendant in relation to the deaths of the other three women and which supports the current charges. As such, this bail application contains descriptions of that evidence which demonstrates the strength of the People’s case as currently charged.

So, no charges related to Maureen. But that sounds like a 'not yet' rather than a 'never'. They have the strongest evidence for Melissa, Megan and Amber, so they've gone with those three to get him off the street. I can't imagine they won't eventually charge him for her; she was found beside the others wrapped the same way in burlap. It stands to reason it's the same doer.

MOO

• His wife's DNA was found on three of the victims' bodies
  • Cell phone calls made from a burner phone to the victims were traced to his office
  • A call made to one of the victims' sisters after she died was traced to his office
  • His Tinder profile with photos of him was linked to the burner phone
  • His Chevrolet pick-up truck was seen by witness to one victim's disappearance
  • He matches description of 'ogre' like man seen with one victim before she vanished

Geez, wife’s dna?? Haven’t read any posts past this one but … how did that happen?? suspect # 2? Or is it something like stands of her hair travelled with him?

That whole thing about calling the little (?) sister is so gross!!

"Gilgo Beach murder suspect Rex Heuermann was identified in part thanks to DNA on a tossed pizza crust that linked him to one of the victims, his bail application revealed.

After pinpointing Heuermann, 59, based on his vehicle and cellular activity, a surveillance team retrieved a pizza box the architect and father of two tossed in the trash outside his office on 5th Avenue in Manhattan on Jan. 26, 2023, the document stated...Heuermann was arrested on Thursday night in Manhattan, and is expected to be charged with first-degree murder in the death of Waterman, Melissa Barthelemy, and Amber Costello.
He is also the prime suspect in the killing of Maureen Brainard-Barnes, another of the so-called “Gilgo Four,” gilgo-beach-murders-suspect-rex-heuermann-in-custody-live-updates

Last edited:
I have a horrid feeling that he may have involved his martial bed in the whole thing. I'd imagine that a person would be more likely to pick up stray hairs from spending time in their bed than just randomly from contact with their spouse, however intimate.

MOO

Not that I disagree with you, but I “shed” so much. I can spend a few hours with someone and they’ll probably have a hair somewhere on them, in their car or on their couch (wherever we were sitting). So living with someone, I can totally see how hair can travel with the suspect. Hair can get in the weirdest places.

Still, not discounting what you’re saying. Though I don’t like your theory because it would be even more ick in all of this. If that’s possible

Posting this here for reference. The Gilgo Beach 4, which news media accounts claim Heuermann is linked to, aren't the only murder victims found in the area of Gilgo Beach. It's confusing, yes.

SCPD_Gilgo_Death_Investigation.jpg

So, I started to type something about how the heck could it take them over a decade to solve this if there was DNA available, but then I remembered that NY has had some ongoing legal wrangling about the use of forensic genealogy. I wonder if that will be what ultimately cracked it, or if it could have been solved sooner without all the local LE … past shenanigans.

ok.. i mistook the victim for the killer
but idont understand..wasnt someone arrested before for this ...john brittrolff ?

Biltroff was found guilty of these murders:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member