Groundhog Day Storm May Affect More than 100 Million People

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
soonerfan..... you may want to reschedule your dh's appointment! I hate to think of you driving in this carp!!!!!! oh my!!!!!

they just upped the metro D snowfall totals... now we are supposed to get 12-15"

(((((nurse is SICK of school snow days too!!! ugggggggh!!!!!)))))

Ours got upped too. 10-15 inches. That was lovely to read this morning.

now they are saying we may have a blizzard watch by tonight....

guess I should go to the grocery store.....

Our high temp for tomorrow just got updated to -6...... as a high! Windchills in the -30's. Just brought stacks of firewood into the laundry room, so I dont have to go out and get it! Thank GOD we have the fireplace, if we lose power, at least we can stay warm.

Stay safe and warm WS friends!

Here on the SE coast of NC rain and tstorms are expected. I for one am glad this systems' freezing precip will miss us. We've had 4 snows this winter and Dec is officially the coldest Dec on record in NC! These storms with frozen precip are especially crippling to us. It's such a rare event that there is not enough equip to clear the roads of snow and ice. Heck, we are used to hurricanes around these parts and snow is foreign to us! Folks around here don't know how to drive in it either... which is skeery!

I'm not likely to lose my internet because we have cable, but power could go out if the ice and sleet on top of the snow start bringing trees and branches down.

We already have roofs and buildings collapsing. Another foot of heavy snow and ice is going to cause some serious damage. Flat-roofed sheet-metal buildings do not mix well with bad winters.

Oh DN - you're so optimistic ;) Hope you have plenty of supplies, and your internet access doesn't go down (mind did in the winter snow -- had to get the teen out there to clean the dish). I hear they have ones that are heated to melt the snow.

Stay safe my friend, and keep us posted.

Mel

LOL! I used to drive my boss crazy by saying stuff like that on the radio during storms, hehehehe.

I am also resigned to losing power and internet, so if I am MIA that's likely why. (Hopefully someone will do the Birthdays in the Jury Room if I can't get to it.)

Thanks for the well wishes, I will keep posting updates while I can. I am even more concerned for those expecting an ice storm, those are far worse.

Prayers for everybody affected!

PS: Thundersnow is pretty cool, lol.

Can I join the club? Not that I really want to. :crazy:

We have two storms today through Wednesday. Today 3-7" and at the end of Wednesday we could have two feet of snow. Blizzard watch starts tomorrow night. Greeeeaaat.

I say either dump a crapload of it on us so we're forced to stay home or give us nothing. I hate those in-between storms that are bad enough that it sucks to drive but not so bad that they close down all the schools, stores, etc. Those are just annoying storms!! We had a blizzard a couple months ago that closed down the bus system, malls, pretty much everything but the hospitals. That was fun!!

Then once this is done, I want spring.

looks like I'll be "camping" at work from tonight through Thursday! I <3 a good snow campout... Of course, it's not as fun when you're the only one camping...

Offered a relative's house but that's still 8 miles away. Closest hotel is 4... Anything is better than the 45 I drive now...

I'm normally a winter person. I love skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, winter hiking. Do not love snowplow ridges taller than the car, streets only a car-and-a-half wide, and parking lots with half the spaces missing. Do not love ice dams, one of which is developing in the corner between garage and house. Do not love covered sidewalks making safe walking impossible.

Maybe I should move farther north, to one of those places where they don't plow the streets and everybody gets around by snowmobile.

talk about calm before the storm.... it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL OUT right now in the metro D area... sunny... shinning on the four inches we already have on the ground.

hard to believe that tonight we get 3 inches

tomorrow 2

tomorrow night 12-15

they say this will be a record breaker for detroit...

I'm normally a winter person. I love skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, winter hiking. Do not love snowplow ridges taller than the car, streets only a car-and-a-half wide, and parking lots with half the spaces missing. Do not love ice dams, one of which is developing in the corner between garage and house. Do not love covered sidewalks making safe walking impossible.

Maybe I should move farther north, to one of those places where they don't plow the streets and everybody gets around by snowmobile.

I hate that it takes three to four days to clear off the roads after a big storm. After the blizzard we had a couple months ago, the roads were HORRIBLE for four days afterwards. For at least two days, they were solid ice because of the snow being packed down by people driving on it. So annoying.

Here in Omaha they just upped our forecast to 9" by tommorrow night. have a feeling we will get more. Took my son to school today, worst drive of my life. All kinds of accidents, people spinning sideways in intersections etc. Got stuck twice on the way home then couldnt get up my driveway and got stuck in a snowbank across the street. Couldnt walk when I got out, managed to get into the house by walking on the snow and crawling part of the way.
Why on earth they did not call off school today I do not know- well yes I do, they are figuring on two snow days after today. There has been one accident already involving a school bus, apparently no injuries.
We are of course on the low end of our grocery cycle so will be having creative meal preparation the next few days. I used to like Winter...

snick.... I just had the hugest visual from your post LOL.... I am glad you made it back home ok!!!!

Here in Omaha they just upped our forecast to 9" by tommorrow night. have a feeling we will get more. Took my son to school today, worst drive of my life. All kinds of accidents, people spinning sideways in intersections etc. Got stuck twice on the way home then couldnt get up my driveway and got stuck in a snowbank across the street. Couldnt walk when I got out, managed to get into the house by walking on the snow and crawling part of the way.
Why on earth they did not call off school today I do not know- well yes I do, they are figuring on two snow days after today. There has been one accident already involving a school bus, apparently no injuries.
We are of course on the low end of our grocery cycle so will be having creative meal preparation the next few days. I used to like Winter...

OMG Snick!!!! I'm glad you made it back in one piece! How is Young Snick traveling home from school?

Like nurse said, I can also see the visual as you painted the picture very well.

I hope you all stay safe. This storm system sounds like a monster!

Keep us updated when you can...

wm

can you believe it???!!!! the noaa page for my zipcode is DOWN!

seriously~

also.... I drove the grocery store and than drove back home after seeing the parking lot... wonder if pizza hut delivers in 2 feet of snow?

Good luck to all of you who are going to get snow and ice!!!! Just rain here in Georgia. I want more days like this past Saturday and Sunday - it was 68 degrees!! I will be thinking about you guys - keep us posted.

snick.... I just had the hugest visual from your post LOL.... I am glad you made it back home ok!!!!

Me too and I had to laugh - only because I've had to do that too!!! Our driveway is really steep. The last big snowstorm I couldn't get my truck up it and into the garage. When I got out to have my husband pull the truck in for me, he didn't believe me, went charging down the driveway like he was God, and promptly slipped, falling right on his arse.

He got what he deserved. Afterall, doesn't he know by now that I'm ALWAYS right??

can you believe it???!!!! the noaa page for my zipcode is DOWN!

seriously~

also.... I drove the grocery store and than drove back home after seeing the parking lot... wonder if pizza hut delivers in 2 feet of snow?

In our small town, we can always tell when there's a storm headed our way. The parking lot at the grocery is packed!

A friend of mine delivers pizza, and she says snow storms are the busiest!!! And she usually makes good tips too;) lol

I spent the morning at urgent care, and when i came out, it was snowing, but not too bad, but the temp had dropped into the teens, and driving home, the windshield was freezing, while I was driving..... And its not even that cold yet!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mebleswiata
Back