Hannah Graham: Body Recovered, 18 Oct, 2014 **Awaiting Forensic Confirmation** #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, I'm the one who's quibbling, and I do apologize for the minutia. It's just that a grain of salt is the smallest bit of credibility. I suppose that if you wanted to hyperbolize it, you'd say a "crystal of salt"!

o/t That may be what it meant at some point in the past, but people have used "take it with a grain of salt" to mean "take it with a bit of skepticism" for many many years now.

Any chance the cops are playing the two (JM and RAT) against each other? Or is that just a tactic used in police movies. They could be telling JM "hey, RAT knows you're involved and is asking us to investigate YOU in the AM murder. Saying HE's innocent. He's throwing you under the bus." Maybe that cracked JM's shell. If he angers easily, he might not be able to control himself when he wants to defend himself and might spit out some useful info in one of his fits of rage. Maybe he blurted out something like "what? That (*$%$%! He knows damn well that HE's the one that killed her..." This gives the cops all they need to know - that JM was there and that JM knows what happened to AM.

Does that make sense? Rile up JM by bringing up his possible connection to RAT but bringing it up as if it's fact to make him think they have evidence to link him to the AM case and other murders.

Is there a WS thread about RAT, I'm confused on this? TIA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, it is taking to long. Surely they could have id'd her with dental records by now. With such a high profile case they could have gotten dna within 24 hours if they made it a priority and it is a priority when a family doesn't know if their child has been found. Backlog yes but most of them are known victims. Instead we have days of waiting for what should have been a fast id.

I'm sure that the dental records are available. What may not be available is a set of teeth.

Does anyone know how DNA matching works?
In my mind, it's like it was shown to be on Dexter. The information gets put into the computer, someone presses ENTER, and the computer runs through looking for a match. It seems if it were that simple, it would take 10 minutes to run JM against the AM file.

How does it really work?[emoji5]
I think that works when a known person's DNA is already in the database. IIRC, the samples were unknown so I would think they actually have to run tests from the beginning to see what matches what (and how many times can a DNA be run on a given sample?). But I am not even close to an expert on this. Just seems logical that they don't put a DNA profile that doesn't have a known person attached to it into a computer to save for posterity. I think of complicated crime scenes where there could be dozens of "innocent" DNA gathered and tested and I wouldn't think they keep it all (heck, we could all be in there!). But if they can and do, that would be really interesting to me:)

I REALLY think that's it. Angle and tree hide front door Look at light square spot to left and peak of roof on back addition...........that's it, I swear! LOL JMO (not the house, but the cottage)

That's not the cottage at 3193 that has been identified as the crime scene. The 3193 cottage doesn't have that extension at the back. IMO

The toilet fiasco was cleared up by Parker Slaybaugh yesterday. He does have a toilet in his cell. :)
The first video when he was in custody in Texas (signing the extradition papers), the one where he asked about his clothes, I believe he was on suicide watch then. He was asking the judge if he would get his jumper back. It was implied that the guards would take it from him when they took him back to his cell.

Some clarification on the new AM search

NBC29 ‏@NBC29

UPDATE: Sheriff Brooks tells @HenryGraff they are searching Orange because of Randy Taylor's ties to that area.
Charlottesville, VA

Henry Graff @HenryGraff · 41m 41 minutes ago

JUST IN: Sheriff Brooks tells @HenryGraff they started search for #AlexisMurphy in Aug. but stopped because area was too overgrown.

I wonder if they have several sets of bones, when the ME reassembles them, does each and every bone need to be DNA checked.?

I believe they can tell by whether the hyoid bone is fractured. I am not sure if that bone is not present if there is another way to determine strangulation.

If the hyoid bone is fractured it means there was a strangulation, however there can still be strangulation without fracture of the hyoid bone. The hyoid will look different like it was compressed, but only fractures in about 30-50% of strangulations.

I don't understand why JL would be talking. What would he say, "I'll tell you about all these other murders if you don't indict me on any of them?"

Just jumping off your post....

could JM have "placed" HG in one of RT's "dumping" grounds... To try to make it look like RT was the killer... Or at least to confuse (commingle) the evidence?

Have killers been known to do this?

:dunno:

If the hyoid bone is fractured it means there was a strangulation, however there can still be strangulation without fracture of the hyoid bone. The hyoid will look different like it was compressed, but only fractures in about 30-50% of strangulations.

OOPS! Didn't see that someone had posted this earlier. Just home from work and catching up.

MOO

OOPS! Didn't see that someone had posted this earlier. Just home from work and catching up.

MOO

JMO Just the angle...also, I got too excited thinking that that is the cottage where Hannah was found. Re-checking google maps, I see that it is not, that it is too close to the road and further down the street. But why would someone think it too was a crime scene, unless it perhaps, IS part of the crime scene? JMO

I wonder if anyone with that twitterer's last name ever owned that property ;-)

Here in CA is DP state too but 741 people on death row chances of dying of old age, suicide, or illness is greater than being executed. I believe last one was Clarence Ray Allen in Jan 2006. Sadly, too many automatic appeals in death penalty cases. Cost state and taxpayers lots of money.

Thats not the case in Va I assure you. Were not that far behind Texas in the amount of executions carried out.

Elias Awad, who lives near the property where the remains were found, described the home there as “abandoned and run-down.” He said he’s never seen a person on the property, even when he was told that it was being rented out and up for sale.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/c...cle_fc4c3650-58ba-11e4-a372-0017a43b2370.html

Matthew and Graham later were seen together near the mall at Tempo Restaurant, where Matthew purchased alcohol, authorities said. They left about 15 minutes later and the Matthew’s car was seen driving away, police said. Police later seized his burnt-orange Chrysler coupe and searched his home.

I think that works when a known person's DNA is already in the database. IIRC, the samples were unknown so I would think they actually have to run tests from the beginning to see what matches what (and how many times can a DNA be run on a given sample?). But I am not even close to an expert on this. Just seems logical that they don't put a DNA profile that doesn't have a known person attached to it into a computer to save for posterity. I think of complicated crime scenes where there could be dozens of "innocent" DNA gathered and tested and I wouldn't think they keep it all (heck, we could all be in there!). But if they can and do, that would be really interesting to me:)

When they got the DNA from MH's shirt, they entered it, and got the match to the Fairfax rape. So, I would wonder why the profile collected on the AM case wasn't also entered for possible matches? If the DNA was JM's, it would have linked to those other cases. Am I missing something on that? If they didn't run it, well that's not a good thing........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Double