Hannah Graham: Body Recovered, 18 Oct, 2014 **Awaiting Forensic Confirmation**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What would they be comparing him to then? That question doesnt read as politely as I intended, but I dont know a better way to word it. I am interested though in how they would compare him to a case where there is no perp info.

Victim profiles. His past crimes and any connection he may have had with the geographic area's those victims profiles who match with known victims. I think it is called victomology??

When I googled " when does a body smell after death" the results say after a "few days" why did it take them 35 days to notice something was not right?

A few days after death, these bacteria and enzymes start the process of breaking down their host. The pancreas is full of so many bacteria that it essentially digests itself [source: Macnair]. As these organisms work their way to other organs, the body becomes discolored, first turning green, then purple, then black. If you can't see the change, you'll smell it soon enough, because the bacteria create an awful-smelling gas.

I think there are several possible and plausible reasons, including if she was in a structure or buried, even shallowly, especially with the recent rains that may have washed away some of the covering. I shudder to think of another alternative and will not post those thoughts here.

What trust owns the property she was found on? Just curious. This should be public information correct?

Let me guess? Is it associated with Anchorage Farm?

I agree. How is it really abandoned if there is no structure, but thats just what I thought of when he said it. When I think of abandoning something I think of house, car, people, not land.

I know several people have weighed in on what property means to them in the context of the press conference. Property can be undeveloped land, or it can refer to a structure on a piece of land. Either developed or undeveloped land could be considered abandoned by its owner, if the owner previously maintained the property and at some time stopped doing so.

Elsewhere in this thread it's mentioned that the remains were found in a shallow grave. To me, this indicates that they were not found in an enclosed structure. People are not generally buried inside of a structure (unless it is a mausoleum). So perhaps there was an abandoned structure of some sort on the property (land), yet the remains were found outside of the structure, hastily covered up. The details will be disclosed in time. I know inquiring minds want to know, but we need to be patient so the investigation is not hampered or the case LE is building is not compromised in any way.

I would suspect identification will come tomorrow. I don't suspect we'll hear much more about it until trial. Though I hope I'm wrong on the latter suspicion.

Cases like these are notoriously sealed in VA. I kept trying to follow AM case and local news had barely any info because everything sealed. Although with all of the missing here, I would hope we get some sort of information. Although I wouldn't be surprised if from here on out much of it is sealed.

everyone, that red house on the corner just so happens to be on the corner of an intersection that was blocked off by police. they blocked off both intersections so that no one could get in the area. it's most likely NOT that house since it's valued at 835K and has a lovely fence with landscaping. the roof is a new metal roof. it's a nice cared for home - NOT abandoned

I also think they would have blocked the road off further away if it was the house.

everyone, that red house on the corner just so happens to be on the corner of an intersection that was blocked off by police. they blocked off both intersections so that no one could get in the area. it's most likely NOT that house since it's valued at 835K and has a lovely fence with landscaping. the roof is a new metal roof. it's a nice cared for home - NOT abandoned

Your abandoned are better than my live-in.

Okay, okay, it's ritzy and lived in. I got it.

Honey, a girl has been missing for 35 days. Suspect has ties to this area. It smells bad and vultures are circling outside. Lets close the windows.

<modsnip>

We don't know they didn't call. Perhaps their tip is why the area was being searched.

Lori Hamilton lives just doorsteps from where police say the remains were found. She tells NBC29 her family noticed something unusual in the area in the past few days.

&#8220;My husband started smelling things two days ago and saw vultures. And yesterday he was like Lori it really smells bad outside, lets shut the windows,&#8221; said Hamilton.

Copied from link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I gotta say... It's calving season here as I am sure it is there, during this time there will be casualties and with that you get vultures. As far as odor it really does depend on which way the wind is blowing. I said a few days or so ago that I was out and about the other day and was about 20 feet from a dead cow on the other side of the fence. I never smelled it, the wind was to my back. Turkey vultures have very keen sense of smell.

Thanks for info. I posted in the scanner thread where I believe her body was found based on info from rewinding scanner.

The road is closed off on two ends. Isn't that where it is closed off at Plank Road?

If it is bordered by Plank, I doubt that's the house since they barricaded near plank and forensic units were there all day- I didn't hear they closed off Plank at all, so too much would be visible imo

If LE is smart, and I bet they are, they won't release anything except to confirm her identity and say it is a homicide case. Then they'll pretend to take questions and answer nothing in essence to preserve the sanctity of the case. While sleuthers hate that it is for the best. Everything needs to be preserved for a later trial. Plus, there's a lot of forensic work that will take place over weeks and months. Stay tuned...should take a year or more to get the case to trial. Maybe even 2 years, depending on how full the pipeline is in VA.

I could be wrong, but I was thinking by 35 days maybe there wasn't any smell any more?

Oh there would still be an horrific smell.

Had it rained there recently? It has been said she was in a shallow grave. If not dug deep enough when it rains it makes air pockets and the smell will rise to the surface.

It takes longer than 35 days to completely break a body down.

We don't know yet exactly where Hannah was found, and whether it was in a structure, a shallow grave. I expect some more info will be given. Though how much more, I don't know. How much was released in the MH case after she was found? I know the parents were frustrated with how much info LE kept out of public domain. In fact, a lot of the info on that case has been from MH's parents' statements.

Hannah is likely to be IDed very quickly with her dental records, and then confirmed later through DNA analysis from the way I've heard it to work. Sadly, the parents have probably already released those records to LE in case she was found.

We don't know they didn't call. Perhaps their tip is why the area was being searched.

i thought the area was being searched because dogs picked up a scent or a few scents in that area.

anyway, the lady who was saying all that could just be saying it. maybe something was a little smelly one day (didn't have to be due to hannah) or maybe she just wants her 2 seconds of fame. who knows

Honey, a girl has been missing for 35 days. Suspect has ties to this area. It smells bad and vultures are circling outside. Lets close the windows.

[modsnip]

I really hope they called in. With all of the rain, I can understand the smell to a certain degree (the mud smells so bad right now although not bad enough to have to close the windows at my house) but the vultures are a pretty big clue. And of course the other facts you mention in terms of location---although I am amazed at how many people here aren't paying careful attention to this case. My guess is that she was buried and the rain caused erosion and that is why the smell and birds took a while. Ugh--I hate even talking about this.

I know several people have weighed in on what property means to them in the context of the press conference. Property can be undeveloped land, or it can refer to a structure on a piece of land. Either developed or undeveloped land could be considered abandoned by its owner, if the owner previously maintained the property and at some time stopped doing so.

Elsewhere in this thread it's mentioned that the remains were found in a shallow grave. To me, this indicates that they were not found in an enclosed structure. People are not generally buried inside of a structure (unless it is a mausoleum). So perhaps there was an abandoned structure of some sort on the property (land), yet the remains were found outside of the structure, hastily covered up. The details will be disclosed in time. I know inquiring minds want to know, but we need to be patient so the investigation is not hampered or the case LE is building is not compromised in any way.

what about a lean to with just a roof held up by posts and a door - like a barn - dirt for the ground rather than floors or slab. he could have buried her in the dirt beneath a roof of some sort - hence the vultures just showing up etc.

then why was longo so clearly reluctant to come right out and say officially 'we found the remains of hannah graham.' is LE always this reluctant to confirm definitively?

In most states, the medical examiner has to make the official pronouncement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TawnyTRC