Hannah Graham: The Search

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Walking in the woods at night would be really difficult. Even if you know someplace, it is not easy.

I am guessing he would hide her that night.

The moon was rather bright that night.

What do people think they in terms of lighting up the woods enough to walk in a ways?

it was 3/4 full

http://www.moonpage.com/index.html

Police say Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr., 32, of Albemarle, has invoked his constitutional right not to speak with investigators who are working to build a case against him.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/s...cle_54390a06-40f1-54cb-82a9-ff393f930b89.html

About 50 people working under Eggeman’s direction combed swaths of Albemarle along U.S. 29 south of Charlottesville from 8 a.m. until dark Sunday.

So JM doesn't have to answer any of LE's questions now. Is he required to answer questions during the trial; or can he invoke the 5th for all questions and/or not take the stand at all?

In a case like this, it's sad and maddening that a guy who is likely guilty and who may have confessed to someone has that information protected by law for his own sake when it could relieve a lot of pain and uncertainty for people who don't know where a loved one is located, but you also have to keep in mind the bigger picture here. We have Constitutional protections for a reason, and if you want to strip them away because of an emotional response to a case like this, you are opening up the type of abuses that those protections are designed to prevent. The unfortunate reality is that LE must find Hannah and build their case against JM without his help regardless of what he has (or has not) told his attorney, and it is for the better for everyone that it stays that way.

What about Hannah's rights?

So JM doesn't have to answer any of LE's questions now. Is he required to answer questions during the trial; or can he invoke the 5th for all questions and/or not take the stand at all?

He could choose not to take the stand. He never actually has to say anything. The investigators would need yo present enough evidence where he wouldnt have a choice and would have to explain himself. But his lawyer will pick apart eye witnesses and try to explain any dna in his car. The case will depend on how strong the dna evidence is.

Good article, the community response has been heart-warming, from the link..
bbm

“Don’t give up,” Eggeman said. “That’s the biggest lesson here. Just don’t give up.”

He cited cases like that of Elizabeth Smart, who vanished from her family’s Salt Lake City home in 2002 and was found nine months later, living with her kidnappers 18 miles away.

“How many of us thought she was dead?” Eggeman said of Smart.

Even finding nothing helps, he said. Searchers returning to a command center Sunday at the Albemarle County Office Building on Fifth Street Extended fed analysts data about areas they’d searched.

“It’s just a long process of elimination,” Eggeman said. “This is where it gets tedious and laborious.”

Nearly two dozen local businesses have donated food and drinks to help sustain the search teams, said Albemarle police spokeswoman Carter Johnson.

“The support from the community has been overwhelming,” Johnson said. “From calling in tips to checking their own properties and letting us know whether maybe a gate was left open or they saw something else unusual. We need that help.”

What about Hannah's rights?

She is not being accused. Don't get me wrong, I hope they catch who did that to her but we (as a people) can not just throw the book at someone just because they were the last to be seem with someone that is missing. That is a stretch to me and my understanding of the law. I am still waiting and wanting to see evidence that two people walking together is evidence of abduction and murder, we don't know what happened once they were off camera/video recordings. I tell you if I was to get up and see on the news that the person I was last with the night before is now missing I am not quit sure what I would do. idk jmo

Innocent until PROVEN guilty.

It is up to the justice system to prove him guilty. Right now he is innocent in the eyes of the law,
If the case cannot be proven, he walks.

I don't know what else can be done. LE has more tools now with cameras, cell phone pings, DNA, profiling.

If it was my child, I would be beyond upset.

We see on here how many are in this very nightmare.

JLM had the world by the tail.

He chose to try or to have sex at a college that forbids it. Whether he did a rape or not, he was in an environment that did not allow sex. So he gave up his life for some brief moments of pleasure. His choice.

Actually (as is the case in Virginia), if a client confesses to his attorney then the attorney can not knowingly allow his client to perjure himself. Having said this, if the client then still insists on taking the stand and denying the charges, the attorney must withdraw from representation. For that reason, most attorneys worth their salt will advise their client at the onset of representation that they will not ask nor do they want to know about their guilt or innocence. IMO

If the police and FBI don't have any evidence to connect Jesse Matthew to the abduction of Hannah Graham, and they have exerted all this time, money and energy in the evaluation, pursuit and arrest of him, then clearly we have a big problem on our hands.

The Ponderosa address had been discussed on here before. Maybe you can do a thread search using Ponderosa?

She is not being accused. Don't get me wrong, I hope they catch who did that to her but we (as a people) can not just throw the book at someone just because they were the last to be seem with someone that is missing. That is a stretch to me and my understanding of the law. I am still waiting and wanting to see evidence that two people walking together is evidence of abduction and murder, we don't know what happened once they were off camera/video recordings. I tell you if I was to get up and see on the news that the person I was last with the night before is now missing I am not quit sure what I would do. idk jmo

I am certain, for me, that if I were the last person to be seen with someone before they went missing, I would give any and all information I had in order to help aid the search...and my family would be encouraging me to do that, too. I am not saying JMs actions are proof of his guilt, but his actions aren't making him look innocent, and his main objectives.right now should be to show his innocence and help LE find HG with whatever information he can provide, even if its just her mental state or where she may have said she was.going when he supposedly parted ways with her. Honestly, I think he's guilty of something, and I am not one of the people who can look at JM through the "innocent until proven guilty" lens. He has an obligation to help Hannah, and if nothing else, he's guilty of holding back potentially critical information, thus harming HG and the search for her. That's a pretty big deal in and of itself.

Actually (as is the case in Virginia), if a client confesses to his attorney then the attorney can not knowingly allow his client to perjure himself. Having said this, if the client then still insists on taking the stand and denying the charges, the attorney must withdraw from representation. For that reason, most attorneys worth their salt will advise their client at the onset of representation that they will not ask nor do they want to know about their guilt or innocence. IMO

This! Exactly this.

Even if JM tells his lawyer he didn't do it, I don't see him ever winding up on the stand. He's too volatile--see, for example, the dropped assault charges, or his decision to flee to Mexico. If he did testify, the prosecution would simply ask questions aimed at getting him riled up, and he'd blow it.

Using either Tempo or the nearest "lovers lane" as the origin, I think think LE should do a search along two routes, one towards JM's sister's place and one towards the grandma's place.

I personally have not read anything about him going home that night
Was anyone home?
What time?
What was his demeanor?
Was he dirty, drunk, in a rage, scared?

Walking in the woods at night would be really difficult. Even if you know someplace, it is not easy.

What do people think they in terms of lighting up the woods enough to walk in a ways?

it was 3/4 full

Depends on whether it was cloudy. What about night vision goggles? Too far-fetched?

it was 3/4 full

Well, speaking from my own experience, that's enough moonlight to follow a familiar path through the woods.

Just curious--Why did JLM even go to the police station if he was not going to say anything! I mean if he knew he was not going to talk to them then at least do not flee. Then it looks like you have nothing to hide and it could have played to his defense .....once you take off for Mexico it kinda makes you wonder why he did not just do that as soon as he heard they were looking for him. He would have made it to Mexico!

Just curious--Why did JLM even go to the police station if he was not going to say anything! I mean if he knew he was not going to talk to them then at least do not flee. Then it looks like you have nothing to hide and it could have played to his defense .....once you take off for Mexico it kinda makes you wonder why he did not just do that as soon as he heard they were looking for him. He would have made it to Mexico!

I am curious about that too
It has been stated he went to LE asking about a lawyer

I don't know the area other than driving through it and spending one night in a hotel there, so I don't know where the lakes or ponds are. I just have this dreaded feeling that JLM has put Hannah in water somewhere.

I just don't think JLM (I refuse to call him LJ) placed Hannah very far away. He most likely went to work at 7AM that day, got off work at 3PM, went to the Christian school to coach, and probably cleaned up after that to go out. IIRC, he had drank from late that afternoon until after 1AM, so I would imagine he felt very tired after he did whatever he did to Hannah. He probably wouldn't have gone far and went to somewhere familiar to him. WHERE is the big question.

Also, he and the roommates were packing to move. Did he or the roommates rent a storage room? That question is probably really lame because I'm sure LE would have checked that angle out.

I hope the searchers are successful, but if not, maybe hunters will be. It is just so wrong when this guy knows for a fact that he was the last person seen with Hannah, yet what does he do? He runs and refuses to answer any of LE's questions. Now he has all the rights and Hannah has none. It just makes me furious.

GB Hannah's family and friends. This just needs to end for their sake.

MOO

iirc LE did some investigating and pretty much dismissed it. There were two cars involved. The night she was taken he was driving his sisters car, blue i think. When he fled to Tx he drove his own car, orange. I got a sense that there was evidence of her being in the blue one but not in the orange one. I will look for a link...

No, the orange car was impounded by police in VA. He took his sister's car to flee to Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lavina