Has any doubt crept in to your 100% guilty belief?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was much easier to just let her off than to intellectually analyze everything.

I think you are right. This case took an entire month to present. How could you deliberate even the most pertinent evidence in only a few hours?

Someone on this jury--even if it was only one person--should have stood up for the process and insisted on reviewing the evidence in this trial that implicated Casey as profoundly as it did, even if 11 other people there had no desire to do so for whatever reason.

I have a gut sense that because of the diversity of what was presented, the evidence overshot the critical thinking skills of most everyone there--and those were the people that confused their lack of intelligence with "reasonable doubt". If there was a lone wolf or two that had the ability to parse the evidence in the way that it deserved, they were probably beaten down by the majority.

Personally, I think that a great number of people here would have girded their loins and hung the jury to have this case retried if that is what the situation demanded--but that would require a strong will, an unyielding sense of duty, and a range of leadership skills that I believe no one on this jury possessed.

I'm disappointed in the whole lot of them.

absolutely no doubt--lost faith in our legal system.

ditto!!!

I also feel that the jurors had lost interest in Caylee and just wanted to get home. And I can't help but wonder if Baez or Mason did a little jury tampering - Mason just seems the type to want to win at any cost and Baez ... well,... is just Baez! No rules apply to him.

No, no doubt at all..In fact, if I could be more than 100% sure, I would be now...
I just don't know when this sick sad feeling will go away.

No, no doubt at all..In fact, if I could be more than 100% sure, I would be now...
I just don't know when this sick sad feeling will go away.

Don't let it-Just feed it good, healthy ideas and turn it into your personal mission to crusade against this EVER HAPPENING AGAIN.

I don't want to seem condescending, 'cause I know I am about tired of hearing all the pundits talk about what we should respect, and how we should act about this...but I guess it is about time to write that maybe we can focus on the many other threads here to try to find justice for other children. It's just that it is so hard to let go of the past three years and just focus on something else. I feel like if I let go of the anger and the fight now, it will be true: Caylee will be gone, Casey will get away with it, and the world's Little Sunshine will just fade away.

The whole thing is about money and turning it into a spanish novella to match the media hoopla and circus that it was 3 years before the trial. It didn't matter if Casey was guilty or not. Once all the media and a few characters started harping on family dysfunction, that's all it took. The jurors believe the earth is still flat and new testing methods or forensics not even paid any attention to. I just wonder if Casey would have been found guilty if this story hadn't reached the circus level with promise of making lots of money for anyone who gets involved.

I haven't followed this case in all its particulars, but it seems to me that bringing a DP case was a high-stakes risk that didn't pay off. There was so much public pressure that anything less than capital charges may have provoked riots -- perhaps that fed into the decision, as it has in other cases.

That said, my sense is that the jury, having decided that the defence had raised reasonable doubt about 1st-degree murder, extrapolated that doubt (wrongly) down to the lesser charges also, despite the differing burden of proof for manslaughter, child abuse and so forth. This I don't understand, and here I think a jury request for rereads or clarification/instruction would have been helpful. All in all, trial by judge here would have yielded a very different result here, I suspect. Complex cases require careful presentation and nuanced thinking from those who judge them. Perhaps the PT's presentation wasn't properly geared to this jury. How far can charm get you? Pretty far, it seems.

s

Most intelligent thing I've read in a couple days. 100% agreement. Like you, I haven't followed this case as close as most people on this site. I've only followed since opening statements.

Didn't think there was enough for murder 1, but thought prosecution could have pulled off depraved heart murder 2.

I think you are right. This case took an entire month to present. How could you deliberate even the most pertinent evidence in only a few hours?

Someone on this jury--even if it was only one person--should have stood up for the process and insisted on reviewing the evidence in this trial that implicated Casey as profoundly as it did, even if 11 other people there had no desire to do so for whatever reason.

I have a gut sense that because of the diversity of what was presented, the evidence overshot the critical thinking skills of most everyone there--and those were the people that confused their lack of intelligence with "reasonable doubt". If there was a lone wolf or two that had the ability to parse the evidence in the way that it deserved, they were probably beaten down by the majority.

Personally, I think that a great number of people here would have girded their loins and hung the jury to have this case retried if that is what the situation demanded--but that would require a strong will, an unyielding sense of duty, and a range of leadership skills that I believe no one on this jury possessed.

I'm disappointed in the whole lot of them.

BBM so so true

The talking heads are most certainly back-peddling, and the jurors who have talked, are certainly trying to muddy the waters.

I have to remember what I've read and watched over the last 3 years, and someone killed Caylee Marie. There is a definite link from the home to the dump site (tape, laundry bag, clothes). That is no coincidence.

I guess all murders will now have to be videotaped to get a conviction, because IMHO common sense doesn't exist anymore.

MOO - thanks.

Mel

The talking heads are most certainly back-peddling, and the jurors who have talked, are certainly trying to muddy the waters.

I have to remember what I've read and watched over the last 3 years, and someone killed Caylee Marie. There is a definite link from the home to the dump site (tape, laundry bag, clothes). That is no coincidence.

I guess all murders will now have to be videotaped to get a conviction, because IMHO common sense doesn't exist anymore.

MOO - thanks.

Mel

I agree with you 100% and it is obvious to me that the jury listened to the defense opening statement and made their decision from that presentation and nothing else. Sad, considering openings and closings are NOT evidence.

My opinion has not changed, I have followed this case since the beginning and in my opinion, Casey got away with Murder 1.

I had doubts and thought it was an accident until I saw the evidence and heard the testimony during the trial. I can admit I still harbored some doubt, but overall felt Casey was at least guily of manslaughter.

Did you think it was a chloroform overdose? I am actually starting to believe that (think I am changing from murder 1) It explains all the searches. She had talked about doing that before. I think they left the house, she OD'd her, and panicked (flurry of phone calls). There was no way she could explain this (as opposed to an innocent accident like a pool drowning). She panicked, and tried to make it look like a kidnapping. she had to act normal so her mother wouldn't find out.

I had no doubts before the trial. If I had had any, they would have been removed by the prosecutions excellently researched and brilliantly presented case.

To people who think there was reasonable doubt, what alternative explanation could there have been for the computer searches for chloroform and neck breaking?

Not trying to give anyone a hard time. I'm honestly really asking.

Most people will never admit that they have doubt or find cause for a jury to have reasonable doubt because they are tired of being attacked for it.

If justice was really blind in this case we could probably have a lot of good discussion over this one but the parties to the case are prone to provoke some very passionate feelings.

To people who think there was reasonable doubt, what alternative explanation could there have been for the computer searches for chloroform and neck breaking?

Not trying to give anyone a hard time. I'm honestly really asking.

Chloroform could be because of the myspace picture. Neck breaking could be from some random conversation or episode while hanging out with friends. Maybe someone said "I'm going to break your neck if you don't stop lying!" and she wanted to see how easy it would be to break a neck. I feel like I look up all kinds of random stuff that I come across day to day. I've looked up anything from random diseases to serial killers to how long a weave can stay in one's hair because it just came up and I was curious.

I have no REASONABLE doubt whatsoever that ICA is guilty of first degree, premeditated murder.

Rest in peace, baby Caylee. We all love you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018