Found Deceased IA - Corey Brown, 13, Marshalltown, 22 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why did he leave his cell phone? That’s a very un- teenager thing to do. I mean, he grabbed warm clothes but not his phone? So did someone older and wiser coach him to do that or did he do it to avoid being found or because he didn’t intend to need it :( He’s so young. This is the age where a fight with my parents was extra dramatic and felt like it was the end of the world to be grounded or whatever.. emotions running high and hormones. I hope he’s okay.

I'm very concerned for this boy. Not only is there brutal cold for Tues.-Thurs., there is more snow for Sun. p.m.-Mon. p.m. He might run away on a whim I guess you could say. He just doesn't look like the type to me that would stay away for long. I can't help but worry that a tragic accident happened and he can't get home.

I am from Marshalltown and still visit family there regularly. I’m wracking my brain trying to think of areas to search or where he could be hiding out. Have there been any reports of how he was dressed when he left home? I wonder if there are any unsecured areas left from the tornado this summer that might offer shelter? Knowing M’town I’m certain one could hide out in public buildings unnoticed for a long time but I can’t imagine a 13 year old child with the capability of being that quiet. So scared for the family!

Edit to add I found this description of how he was dressed:
“He was wearing a black and green coat and a Seattle Seahawks hat in the same colors. He was also wearing black pants, a red shirt, and grey shoes.”

It’s my impression that those sports-themed winter coats are rarely rated for temps as low as they’re having in M’town now.

Several questions for thought;
How long between the argument and his leaving the house at 11:15, if he contacted someone that he was coming over (school friend etc.) how did he do it if parents had taken his phone?
If the argument was earlier in the evening did he make arrangements with someone to pick him up out at the end of his road? If so, who might do that?
He has lived in Iowa and knows the weather and he is a smart kid, it doesn't make sense that he would dress as lightly as he did and head out into the night with no plans on where he was heading.
If, in fact he did contact someone by phone, wouldn't there be a record of it for LE?
Are there other extended family in the area,(grandparents, aunts and uncles) that he knew would welcome him and he set off in the direction of their home.
Was he active in his church and knew how to get in there for the night?
It looks like he lived in a developing neighborhood, are any of the homes that are not owned yet, heated so he could be there.

Are there any sort of street lights in his neighborhood or is it just moonlight to guide him (probably no moonlight if it was snowing)
Even if he found a relatively warm place to hide out, he would need food, where would he get that?
If he contacted a friend that he was coming over and didn't make it, would that friend be to afraid then to say so?
Even if the argument was thought to be benign to parents and LE, it sure wasn't that to him.

Are there any sort of street lights in his neighborhood or is it just moonlight to guide him (probably no moonlight if it was snowing)
Even if he found a relatively warm place to hide out, he would need food, where would he get that?
If he contacted a friend that he was coming over and didn't make it, would that friend be to afraid then to say so?
Even if the argument was thought to be benign to parents and LE, it sure wasn't that to him.

Its really bad that he's still missing. I hope he's safe. How horrible for his family to have to go through this. Surely any adult hiding him out would have called in by now. That would be the right thing to do. I hope he wasn't picked up by the wrong person, and I hope he's somewhere warm.

Several questions for thought;
How long between the argument and his leaving the house at 11:15, if he contacted someone that he was coming over (school friend etc.) how did he do it if parents had taken his phone?
If the argument was earlier in the evening did he make arrangements with someone to pick him up out at the end of his road? If so, who might do that?
He has lived in Iowa and knows the weather and he is a smart kid, it doesn't make sense that he would dress as lightly as he did and head out into the night with no plans on where he was heading.
If, in fact he did contact someone by phone, wouldn't there be a record of it for LE?
Are there other extended family in the area,(grandparents, aunts and uncles) that he knew would welcome him and he set off in the direction of their home.
Was he active in his church and knew how to get in there for the night?
It looks like he lived in a developing neighborhood, are any of the homes that are not owned yet, heated so he could be there.

Not sure exactly about the timeline, but his parents were sleeping and didn't realize he'd left the home until 5:30a the next morning. He wasn't "seen" leaving the home as much as he was recorded on the family's video surveillance camera.

Corey could have contacted friends using any internet device. Not sure he would have had access to something like that, but it could have been a gaming device or any computer.

I'm sure LE is checking every device in the home to see if Corey might have used it.

All good questions about food and the like. From my experience, it would not be hard at all to "come across food" in M'town - it's just a very openhearted and generous community. However, I don't think Corey could do all of that and not be spotted. Certain we don't know about the history of conflict in the family and if this argument was a cumulation of many. Not casting shade whatsoever, but in this day and age the pressures on teenagers have caused others to take drastic actions that to an adult far outweigh the issue at hand.

I keep checking back on this thread in hopes that Corey has been found. I live within a few hours of Marshalltown and it has been so bitterly cold and snowy. Just as an example of how cold it's been, my dog is 1/2 husky and usually loves running around our yard in all kinds of weather - but this past week, he runs out the door and in the minute or so it takes him to do his business, he is already holding up his feet because they are so cold. I just can't imagine a person who doesn't have good shelter and very warm clothing surviving in these temps. :(
It does seem like Corey must have had a plan and was headed somewhere, given the weather and the time of night that he left.

I hope this is as simple as being at a friend's house. Maybe a friend with a finished basement where he could hide Corey and no adults would realize he was there....kind of a "man cave" if you will.

I think that if he'd harmed himself, he would have been found by now. MOO

I keep checking back on this thread in hopes that Corey has been found. I live within a few hours of Marshalltown and it has been so bitterly cold and snowy. Just as an example of how cold it's been, my dog is 1/2 husky and usually loves running around our yard in all kinds of weather - but this past week, he runs out the door and in the minute or so it takes him to do his business, he is already holding up his feet because they are so cold. I just can't imagine a person who doesn't have good shelter and very warm clothing surviving in these temps. :(
It does seem like Corey must have had a plan and was headed somewhere, given the weather and the time of night that he left.
I agree with you on this point. If the parents were already asleep when he left the house, then the argument and the taking away of his cell phone didn't happen immediately beforehand. He didn't storm out the door in a huff while they were watching.

He was probably stewing in his room and plotting the "I'll show them" scenario that kids often use when mad at their parents. I've done that as I'm sure a lot of us had, bluffing and waiting for mom and dad to run after us and apologize.

That would lead me to the belief that he, IMO, planned something. He waited until it was late and left while snowing. Not the best timing to just spontaneously take off.

I can only hope he did have a survival plan in mind. This was not instantly spontaneous, and may have been less so depending on how long before he took off the argument with his parents occurred.

RBBM

When they watched him leaving on the video, did they notice if he was wearing a backpack or had something else to contain extra clothes, personal items, etc? Was anything missing from his room or the pantry?

I am from Marshalltown and still visit family there regularly. I’m wracking my brain trying to think of areas to search or where he could be hiding out. Have there been any reports of how he was dressed when he left home? I wonder if there are any unsecured areas left from the tornado this summer that might offer shelter? Knowing M’town I’m certain one could hide out in public buildings unnoticed for a long time but I can’t imagine a 13 year old child with the capability of being that quiet. So scared for the family!

Edit to add I found this description of how he was dressed:
“He was wearing a black and green coat and a Seattle Seahawks hat in the same colors. He was also wearing black pants, a red shirt, and grey shoes.”

It’s my impression that those sports-themed winter coats are rarely rated for temps as low as they’re having in M’town now.
Since you are from Marshalltown can you estimate how far it is from his home to the highway interchange? Could he have walked there in that awful weather? Are there truckers stopping there who may have given him a ride? It doesn't seem likely that he would do that but the town seems small enough that he couldn't just "hang out" and not go home without someone seeing him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannepalmer85
Back