Found Deceased IA - Corey Brown, 13, Marshalltown, 22 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This case made me cry. :(

So he ran away in a tiff-- Over a phone being confiscated ?
The parents did nothing wrong...As a parent myself --- I feel terrible for them !!!!
Holy crapola, what a horrific outcome.

They were doing the right thing and just being parents.

Rest in gentle peace, young Corey.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ice-say/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.89bce965710a

No one knows exactly why Corey Brown left home.

The 13-year-old boy left his house last week in Marshalltown, Iowa, after a conversation with his parents.

But it was “a typical discussion about household rules between parents and a 13-year-old child,” Marshalltown Police Chief Mike Tupper said Monday in a phone interview with The Washington Post.

“There was no fight, no argument, no anger.”

Authorities are investigating to determine why the teen left and how he died. Autopsy results are pending, police said.

“We may never know why he left,” Tupper said.

More details on Corey Brown

[...]
Chief Michael Tupper, Marshalltown Police Department said "Here's my concern. I feel like people here are looking for reasons, looking for blame. There's no blame to be found here."

Police Chief Michael Tupper says it was a very difficult search for Corey Brown. Cold conditions and limited tips made their search very methodical, until they found Corey in a secluded area on Sunday morning.

Pastor Michael Herschberger's church was used as a staging area for the search party. Between 50-80 members consistently worked through the weekend. He says Corey's death will be difficult for people to ever fully understand.

"There's no evidence or information that would suggest any type of criminal activity here. No criminal charges are being considered here, and we're working diligently to try to resolve some unanswered questions and still try to support the Brown family," said Police Chief Michael Tupper.

As a sign of solidarity, all of the students at Miller Middle School and Marshalltown High school, as well as the Fareway employees, wore green on Monday.

As news of a Marshalltown teen's disappearance and death circulated on the internet Sunday, so did speculation about why he ran away from his home in the first place.

But "nothing extraordinary" happened between Corey Brown and his parents before he left home late Tuesday evening as a snowstorm descended on the central Iowa city of 27,000, Marshalltown police chief Michael Tupper said in an interview Monday.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...missing-person-corey-brown-tupper/2704832002/

Police on Sunday announced they had found the body of 13-year-old Corey Brown five days into the search for the Miller Middle School 8th-grader, Tupper said.

The body was located in a secluded outdoor area on the city's west side, somewhere between a mile and a mile and a half from his south side home, said Tupper, who didn't provide the exact location.

An investigation is ongoing, but no criminal activity is suspected at this time.

This blows. I was hoping he was hiding out at a friend’s house, somehow.

Teens often act rashly. You don’t really think of consequences that may befall you when you’re upset at that age. You act impulsively and carelessly sometimes. Typical teenager behavior. Even if he was angry and left to freak his parents out briefly, I don’t know why he went an entire mile away. That’s a long walk in freezing weather. Then again, they didn’t know exactly when he left until video was found, right? That’s what I recall, but I could be wrong. If so, he’d have to know it could be morning before they realized he left. I wonder if there was any type of shelter close by that he may have planned to hang out til the next day. Even an abandoned place to shelter. I guess it’s possible he wasn’t aware how quickly the cold would effect him and got confused with hypothermia. Idk. This is senseless and sad. Really sad.:(

His family are members of my parents' church, although my folks are elderly and might not know them. One of the reports quoted above states that Corey did walk south, which is toward the old highway 30 that goes to Ames. Very unlikely that he would have encountered a vehicle there at that time of night and it probably wasn’t his intention. Sadly I agree with the idea that he had little concept of how quickly the extreme cold would affect him and we’ll probably never know why he left. If due to conflict with parents or to “make a statement “ why wait hours to leave?

It’s all so hard to understand and my heart breaks at the knowledge that his parents must blame themselves when all of us with young teens have imposed the same consequence of confiscating the phone.

I remember vividly, as the mother of three pre-teen boys, of needing to remove myself from a situation with them and stepping out the front door into a pounding rainstorm. And, trying to figure out whether I should go back in (and lose face) or stand out there and get soaked. I believe he left without giving any thought to the weather or where he was going and what would come next. By the time he realized the danger he was in he had no way of getting help. There is no blame here for anyone, least of all his parents. Just a terrible confluence of circumstances with a very tragic ending.

I remember vividly, as the mother of three pre-teen boys, of needing to remove myself from a situation with them and stepping out the front door into a pounding rainstorm. And, trying to figure out whether I should go back in (and lose face) or stand out there and get soaked. I believe he left without giving any thought to the weather or where he was going and what would come next. By the time he realized the danger he was in he had no way of getting help. There is no blame here for anyone, least of all his parents. Just a terrible confluence of circumstances with a very tragic ending.

And a 13 year old boy likely has no clue how fast hypothermia can set in, cause someone to become disoriented, etc. I wonder if he undressed before passing away like we hear some people who freeze to death do.

His family are members of my parents' church, although my folks are elderly and might not know them. One of the reports quoted above states that Corey did walk south, which is toward the old highway 30 that goes to Ames. Very unlikely that he would have encountered a vehicle there at that time of night and it probably wasn’t his intention. Sadly I agree with the idea that he had little concept of how quickly the extreme cold would affect him and we’ll probably never know why he left. If due to conflict with parents or to “make a statement “ why wait hours to leave?

It’s all so hard to understand and my heart breaks at the knowledge that his parents must blame themselves when all of us with young teens have imposed the same consequence of confiscating the phone.

I hope they can come to a place of NOT blaming themselves. This is a tragic, senseless loss, and surely nobody’s fault. It’s true that we’ll likely never know exactly why he left.

As to why he’d wait a few hours after the fight to leave... I remember as a teen, anything really important to me hurt when I was grounded and had it taken away. The land line was my thing in the 80s, and my parents knew that’s what would do me in the most. (Yes, I deserved when I was grounded, and I knew it. I was a typical teenager.) After I’d get grounded, I’d lock myself in my room, cry a while and simmer. Then, the visions of how sorry your parents would be if you ran away over this. Then, you start thinking of ways to see it through, even if it’s just for a day or so. The time I ran off, it was winter, dark, and we lived isolated in the country. I didn’t take a coat....you’re in a huff about the “unfairness” you’re suffering, so you don’t think rationally. I only made it a mile when I thankfully came to my cousin’s house and stopped. I was a good kid and I was known for having a good head on my shoulders. I freaked myself out over acting so rashly. My parents wouldn’t have known I was gone for at least a few more hours. I can see where Corey might have had a similar experience. And you feel kinda invincible when you’re younger.

Another great example is from the movie “A Christmas Story”. Ralphie has to set with soap in his mouth as punishment. When he goes to bed, he starts imagining he comes to see his parents one day and he’s went blind. They ask why...he responds “soap poisoning”. They cry and feel guilty and he smiles. That’s just typical kid thinking.

This is NOT his parents fault. The above is just examples of where his mind COULD have gone. Not knowing what he had his phone taken away for, we really can’t say why he left. Maybe he’d even snuck out and left before and always came back without anyone knowing. We likely will never know.

This is all purely JMO. In no way whatsoever is it his parents fault.

A funeral Mass for Corey Brown, 13, is scheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday at St. Henry's Catholic Church, according to the Mitchell Family Funeral Home website. The Marshalltown boy was last seen alive late Jan. 22, when he left his parents home following an "disciplinary discussion," according to police. His body was found Sunday. A visitation will be from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday at the church with a vigil service scheduled afterward. Visitation with Brown's parents will follow the vigil service.
[...]
The police said that no criminal activity was suspected but that many scenarios were still being investigated. The temperature dipped below zero three straight days after Brown went missing.
Details released for Corey Brown's funeral, vigil service

The police chief in Marshalltown has written a heartfelt and tender editorial for the paper, the Times Republican.

Guest column: Sometimes tragedy happens and no one is to blame

If you think it's direct and unspoiled, you're right, just like me and all of us that come from there. Despite it being smack in the middle of Iowa they have welcomed many immigrants, including Hispanics that work in the fields and the meat packing plants, and Karen and Burmese people fleeing prosecution in Southeast Asia. They endured an E-3 tornado last July, amazingly with no casualties.

I had to leave Marshalltown for economic opportunities, and it is quite a depressed place. It is hard to swallow that people very willing to live a simple life in the obscurity of a small Iowa town would be criticized by comments in the media, but of course that happens all the time.

Police say missing teen suffered 'significant head injury' when he died
Police say the preliminary autopsy shows no foul play or criminal action. Brown suffered a traumatic head injury in a fall and died from blunt force trauma.

“Preliminary autopsy results reveal that Brown suffered a significant head injury and died because of a blunt force trauma injury. Law enforcement search teams located Brown’s body at a communication tower site located in the 900-1000 block of West Iowa Avenue in Marshalltown. The investigation reveals that Brown climbed over a secure fence to enter the tower site. Brown then climbed onto the communication tower and fell from an undetermined distance. The fall resulted in a traumatic head injury.”

Police say they continue to investigate.

“Preliminary autopsy results reveal that Brown suffered a significant head injury and died because of a blunt force trauma injury. Law enforcement search teams located Brown’s body at a communication tower site located in the 900-1000 block of West Iowa Avenue in Marshalltown. The investigation reveals that Brown climbed over a secure fence to enter the tower site. Brown then climbed onto the communication tower and fell from an undetermined distance. The fall resulted in a traumatic head injury.”

Well, that is unexpected. I wonder what the heck the poor kid was doing :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannepalmer85
Back