IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.kgan.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/kgan_vid_12209.shtml

snipped:
CEDAR RAPIDS (CBS 2/ FOX28) —Calls have been pouring in to the police department since Wednesday all describing the same thing—a suspicious white vehicle in the neighborhood.

“We’ve gotten between 30 and 40 calls to our investigative division alone,” said Sergeant Cristy Hamblin.

So far, none have matched the vehicle police are looking for: a 1990s white Chevrolet Astro Van used Tuesday when three people tried to kidnap a five-year-old boy riding his bicycle near the 7500 block of Kirkwood Boulevard SW.

“There’s approximately 3,900 white vans in the state of Iowa, white Astro vans,” Hamblin said.

Again, I wish they wouldn't focus on one model.

http://thegazette.com/2012/08/02/cedar-rapids-police-fielding-several-white-van-tips/
Authorities said the recent events have fueled perceptions that white vans are the vehicles of choice for child predators. Police said 314 white Chevrolet Astro vans between the years of 1992 and 1997 are registered in Linn County.

At one point Thursday morning, while police were checking the van at Family Video, six white vans were going through a nearby intersection from various directions. Some were marked, and some were not.

“Work vans are generally white,” Johnson said. “There are more white vans than anything else.”

Thank you dotr!!!

1. Yes, I noticed it earlier, then went back to get a better look. That was when I discovered Maiden Lane. Seeing older pics where it is much clearer that it was an established path/road is fascinating to me. I've lived here 5-6 yrs, and never knew it was there. I was aware of the clearing back there somewhat, but not that there was an established path leading to it. It is fairly overgrown now, and in checking out the pumphouse I noticed that a vehicle had been through there recently. Photographed and called in to tipline, btw.

2. Distance marker. I don't believe its there anymore, hasn't been for quite some time. There are a few around the trail.

3. Not likely muddy, even after a drizzle. The "clearing" is just barely that. Just enough sun gets through to have allowed it to be fairly overgrown now. I'm still fascinated that as little as 6 years ago it looked like a gravel road from above. Keep in mind that when they drained the lake last, they built that jetty (I did see one old photo where the jetty was not visible above the water), so I assume that was how they'd accessed that drain in the past. Just my opinion, I'll try to get some old-timin' local to fill me in on the history of those woods.

It was fascinating to see that obvious path. Looks like it went from the first house there on the right to the trail. I'd bet anything that was the neighborhood exploring area along with branch club houses, baloney sandwiches, campfires and the whole bit in the 70 and 80's. Let us know what you find out.

***Is there anyway for you to download all the pics you have of the area to the media thread so they are all in one place on WS? TIA

But the girl with the face touching has been ruled as a non-criminal activity - inappropriate and weird but not an attempted kidnapping.

Her story morphed over time; in this article, it says the man made a gesture towards her face. LE also said that the location of the incident had changed:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/up...cle_52807f14-d6a3-11e1-a10d-001a4bcf887a.html

I've no doubt that right now, there are a lot of hyper-vigilant people. Which means that there may be a higher chance than someone with innocent intentions may be misconstrued.

The problem I have with the white van type abduction theory with the girls, is that those abductions usually, as far as I can tell, occur on a street where they can blend in with other traffic and make a quick getaway. That is not really the case down on that trail. A van would be obvious, and there are bikers and hikers along the trail...it would stand out. Same goes for abducting them and leaving the bikes back on that trail...they would have abducted, thrown the bikes in and been long gone..not gone back there and staged the bikes and then backed out. Just doesn't make sense. I still think they were grabbed and taken into the woods that surround the area, some of which has not been checked thoroughly or an abductor hiked out with them and then put them in a vehicle parked perhaps by the pump house...then took them somewhere secluded. I think they may be close by.

The problem I have with the white van type abduction theory with the girls, is that those abductions usually, as far as I can tell, occur on a street where they can blend in with other traffic and make a quick getaway. That is not really the case down on that trail. A van would be obvious, and there are bikers and hikers along the trail...it would stand out. Same goes for abducting them and leaving the bikes back on that trail...they would have abducted, thrown the bikes in and been long gone..not gone back there and staged the bikes and then backed out. Just doesn't make sense. I still think they were grabbed and taken into the woods that surround the area, some of which has not been checked thoroughly or an abductor hiked out with them and then put them in a vehicle parked perhaps by the pump house...then took them somewhere secluded. I think they may be close by.

Im starting to think that if three people were involved then one could be the look out person.

I thought Bundy had a Volkswagon Beetle. Didn't he used to make a big deal out of parking it right out front in his driveway while he washed and detailed it? Like he was taunting the cops...they knew he was a serial killer but they didn't have evidence to get a warrant to search his car so he flaunted it. MOO

I'm sure Ted Bundy would have done so had he been a suspect. He did have a VW Beetle. However, he wasn't taunting LE because he simply was not a suspect at the time.

After he abducted two women from Lake Sammamish, his name was turned in to the tip line several times but he was not, at that time, high on LE's list of suspects.

He didn't rise high on the suspect list until after he abducted a Utah woman who managed to escape.

However, he never lived in the Seattle area again, so there was no taunting of LE involved.

Her story morphed over time; in this article, it says the man made a gesture towards her face. LE also said that the location of the incident had changed:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/up...cle_52807f14-d6a3-11e1-a10d-001a4bcf887a.html

I've no doubt that right now, there are a lot of hyper-vigilant people. Which means that there may be a higher chance than someone with innocent intentions may be misconstrued.

Recently a man in a battered old van was driving alongside me at night and motioning towards my back tires. I figured it was an evil ploy and ignored him and drove to an open gas station for safety. Then I saw that there was a white plastic bag somehow stuck in the tire rim. OOPS. Thank you sir, sorry I was so suspicious.

Im starting to think that if three people were involved then one could be the look out person.

..or...one or two on the trail and the 3rd waiting wherever the vehicle is parked, which may not be right by the trail...Somebody went to a lot of trouble to get them there on that trail. I do believe they would have followed someone into the woods though; especially, if they had met the person before.

..or...one or two on the trail and the 3rd waiting wherever the vehicle is parked, which may not be right by the trail...Somebody went to a lot of trouble to get them there on that trail.

^^^THIS.

:moo:

I completely agree. I think that what people are calling "Attempted Abductions" right now are really misunderstandings - like the one where the asian man wanted directions to the Church. There is no indication that he intended to abduct anyone, although it is good that the mother reported it, just to be sure its not relevant.

Recently a man in a battered old van was driving alongside me at night and motioning towards my back tires. I figured it was an evil ploy and ignored him and drove to an open gas station for safety. Then I saw that there was a white plastic bag somehow stuck in the tire rim. OOPS. Thank you sir, sorry I was so suspicious.

better safe than sorry!

Re the 5 year old in Cedar Rapids.

I wonder why it took Dad 3 hours to report the attempt?

Someone could've got a long, long way in 3 hours.

Gosh, I really wish a new search was conducted again in Evansdale. Maybe it's because Le really thinks they are elsewhere?

Re the 5 year old in Cedar Rapids.

I wonder why it took Dad 3 hours to report the attempt?

Someone could've got a long, long way in 3 hours.

Maybe he had to go home and flush the toilet a lot before having LE visit..I say that having once been a hippie...

Ok brain back on board.

Re - white vans.

I believe LE think there is a white van involved in the abduction. As I posted earlier, thanks to cctv, they will have a very good idea as to who was on the streets that day.

If they are "ruling out" white van owners, that means they are still looking for the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member