IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Missing girls update: Gosch helps in search effort

DES MOINES, Iowa -
The mother of missing paperboy Johnny Gosch is helping Wednesday in the search for two missing Iowa girls from Evansdale.

Noreen Gosch will be at a booth setup at the Iowa State Fair to help collect clues in the case. The booth is located in the Grandstand in the Hall of Law.

Gosch was 12 years old when he went missing in West Des Moines on Sept. 5, 1982.

Authorities believe Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins were abducted on July 13 in Evansdale, a suburb of Waterloo.

Last Thursday, Collin's parents were at the State Fair.

The booth features pictures of the girls and has fliers. Officials said people from Iowa and outside the state coming to fair could offer new clues in the case. Fliers are being handed out at the booth.

DCI agents told KCRG-TV last week that that they received at least one tip at the State Fair on Thursday that they are following up on.

Evansdale police said they continue to receive tips from the public and encourage anyone with even minor information to come forward.

A $50,000 reward is being offered in the case.

Anyone with information on the case should call 319-232-6682 or Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers at 855-300-8477.

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io...16052336/-/mnf1llz/-/index.html#ixzz23dBKnxuE

I think thats wonderful because she has been there done that.

Timeline -- IIRC

Some reports had the firefighter finding the bikes at 3:58. We never heard when Abben arrived and saw the bikes leaning against the fence.

First reports were that the bikes were found at 3:30. Later, the official time was given as 3:58.

"Investigators found their bikes and a purse from one of the girls on the southeast side of Meyers Lake around 3:30 p.m. Friday."

July 15
http://www.kare11.com/news/article/983203/391/Search-underway-for-2-missing-girls-in-Iowa

I see references in many posts to Dan Morrissey being a meth addict. I'm not certain that's the case--although I say this based purely on impression. He looks healthy enough; he hasn't wasted away, in fact, he looks pretty strong, and his skin is healthy looking, too. So while his arrest record can't be disputed, is it possible that he was/is more present as a parent than we have given him credit for? He could be cooking and selling meth without using it.

I'm not aware of Dan or other people being arrested for felony charges of "using" meth or other drugs. However, I would think "possession" of meth would encompass the legalities around it, since one would be "in possession" of it if they were using or tested positive on a drug screen.

BTW...I have read reports that there have been higher levels of meth found in tox screens of people (including children) residing within meth houses than those of "users".

DES MOINES, Iowa -
The mother of missing paperboy Johnny Gosch is helping Wednesday in the search for two missing Iowa girls from Evansdale.

Noreen Gosch will be at a booth setup at the Iowa State Fair to help collect clues in the case. The booth is located in the Grandstand in the Hall of Law.

Gosch was 12 years old when he went missing in West Des Moines on Sept. 5, 1982.

Authorities believe Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins were abducted on July 13 in Evansdale, a suburb of Waterloo.

The booth features pictures of the girls and has fliers. Officials said people from Iowa and outside the state coming to fair could offer new clues in the case. Fliers are being handed out at the booth.

DCI agents told KCRG-TV last week that that they received at least one tip at the State Fair on Thursday that they are following up on.

Evansdale police said they continue to receive tips from the public and encourage anyone with even minor information to come forward.

Anyone with information on the case should call 319-232-6682 or Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers at 855-300-8477.

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io...16052336/-/mnf1llz/-/index.html#ixzz23dBKnxuE

It must be really scary for the family to be affiliated with people whose children never came home ... like being accepted by a club where you never wanted to be a member.

I'm loving WS coz I could never keep it all together myself! Thanks everyone for the info on the paddleboat!

Very interesting about the stolen/borrowed paddleboat. I wish we could confirm or deny that. It seems unlikely (though not impossible) that the two would be totally unrelated, if both the borrowing and the disappearance happened in the same timeframe.

It could just be teenagers though. Thinking back to my own teen years. Some of of us were so brazen as to just grab things in broad daylight. I get the idea that it would be two teens - one "leader" who marched thru these people's yards to grab the boat, and one "follower" who was hiding in the bushes, peeing his pants and saying "I dunno, Shaggy! This isn't such a good idea!" (Typical teen dynamics LOL!) Maybe this teens(s) borrows things off the docks a lot when the owners are at work, and no one ever noticed until the big hullabaloo caused by this case? If this was true we could chuck it out as coincidence.

This last part is unlikely since they were looking for a "man" in a boat, and the various sightings of bikes don't match up, but the witnesses could have been wrong... what if our girls had taken the boat? Again, I doubt it. Or... what if the girls knew the boatsnatchers, and had planned to meet some boy/guy in his borrowed boat? Maybe they raced down there all excited by the idea of being in a stolen boat? You know how some kids are... I dunno, just trying to make sense of it.

I've been wondering where the $50,000 reward came from, especially in light of discussion here speculating that the family was struggling financially. I know that, in general, police do not offer rewards because it doesn't help. Found this:

"KWWL-TV reports a family friend is offering a $5,000 reward for any tips which result in investigators finding the girls."

Either several friends have contributed to the reward, or the family contributed something too ... meaning that the finances may not be an issue for all the family members.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/983203/391/Search-underway-for-2-missing-girls-in-Iowa

Something else re: paddleboat stealing and/or teenagers and human trafficking. Would traffickers have teenage accomplices? Either local gang members / troubled kids who they groom to trust them, or else trafficked kids they captured years back and are resigned to the life? Teens who earn money and some modicum of extra freedom by helping their masters bring more kids into that nasty scene? Teens who wouldn't give two craps about stealing someone's paddleboat, or flirting with Lyric to set up a meeting, or this that and the other?

I see references in many posts to Dan Morrissey being a meth addict. I'm not certain that's the case--although I say this based purely on impression. He looks healthy enough; he hasn't wasted away, in fact, he looks pretty strong, and his skin is healthy looking, too. So while his arrest record can't be disputed, is it possible that he was/is more present as a parent than we have given him credit for? He could be cooking and selling meth without using it.

YES...the fact that he could be making and selling Meth instead of using METH makes him a much "better" parent! REALLY??????????

I've been wondering where the $50,000 reward came from, especially in light of discussion here speculating that the family was struggling financially. I know that, in general, police do not offer rewards because it doesn't help. Found this:

"KWWL-TV reports a family friend is offering a $5,000 reward for any tips which result in investigators finding the girls."

Either several friends have contributed to the reward, or the family contributed something too ... meaning that the finances may not be an issue for all the family members.

The reward came from the Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

We were never told how long they had been missing before MCM called the police. I've asked the same because I thought the time period of calling LE on the 13th was a little long. Search started at 12:30 and HC went to the police station around 2:45. The official LE time is 2:47.

The only persons that I've seen mentioned to being talked to by TB that day were the boy fishing and the man who stated he saw girls on their bikes around 2:30. The paddleboat was never mentioned until LE brought it up in a presser that they wanted to talk the person. I believe it was just for info on what they many have seen also.

There were many discussions on FB regarding the paddleboat and I think we are confusing it with MSM. imo

Right, they never said in the interview how long, DM did say police got involved, then Misty took over the story. She said they went to find Lyric and the cousin at the park and they weren't there. Then she said as she was calling police Lyric showed up, but DM said police were involved. Later in the interview she told JVM the girls were playing at the park.

So it's confusing, and I also wonder where the girls did go, and if other incidents happened we don't know about. The parents also said in that interview there would be no chance of the girls running away, but yet three days before Lyric wanted to. They obviously didn't, or they'd be found already as little as they are. Also, with both parents having had previous contacts of dealers, buyers and jail, anyone could have been watching the girls.

I think Grandma and Heather didn't let the girls go out by themselves as much as some others did. Both said the girls wouldn't have went as far as the lake and I believe Heather said they'd never been there. I'm sure LE knows alot more.

I watched two movies in the last day, Mystic River and Sleuth. Mystic River is about the oxymoron; the corrupt moral policeman, the man that murdered his best friend, the child released by two pedophiles, the young woman accidentally murdered by two youths, the man that was murdered because knowing him destroyed dreams. Sleuth was about being clever and getting into someone else's head. It was a well done remake unlike the original.

Men that kidnap children must be astute, able to assess people and turn that into an advantage. In Mystic River, the child was abducted through first being questioned (name, address), verbally or psychologically separately from the group, and then told to get in the car. When that didn't work right away, the perp became more aggressive and verbally abusive. The child complied while the friends watched and people on the street are not paying attention. Good film by Clint Eastwood.

I was at a park one day with my young son. There was a girl of about 5 or 6 by herself. We learned her name, address and phone number in under five minutes. She was very proud of being able to recite it.

Talking about movies. My daughter and i watched "Megan is missing". Big wake up call for my daughter and myself. She went through her fb friends and deleted who she didn't know. They were friends of her friends but she herself didn't know them.

Lyric had FB. Did she also use skype? This movie was about something like skype too.

Something else re: paddleboat stealing and/or teenagers and human trafficking. Would traffickers have teenage accomplices? Either local gang members / troubled kids who they groom to trust them, or else trafficked kids they captured years back and are resigned to the life? Teens who earn money and some modicum of extra freedom by helping their masters bring more kids into that nasty scene? Teens who wouldn't give two craps about stealing someone's paddleboat, or flirting with Lyric to set up a meeting, or this that and the other?

I doubt that the abduction has anything to do with human trafficking. The first person that sees either girl is going to go for the $50,000 reward money.

I'm also very interested in the kid that was fishing, and what he did or didn't see. I wish we could get a start and end time on his outing.

As for where he was fishing, he was probably on the north side of the lake near the parking lot. That's the standard place to put in a line at Meyers Lake. On my weekend trip down there I saw approximately four people fishing there. If he lived in one of those lakeside houses on the east side, he might have fished from his parent's dock, but the north side is the most likely. The only other places with clear shots to water are in the evil southeast corner. Probably can rule that out because he would have seen the bikes make their way to the gate, by girls or by bad guys! Plus that's a heck of a way to walk just to fish when the parking lot shore is so easy to get to.

Some thoughts. We've been wondering which way the girls entered the lake trail. Given that the bikes definitely wound up by the gate somehow, if our fisher king was on the north side, he would have seen (or had the opportunity to see) them if they had ridden in on the western side and gone counterclockwise around. There's a whole long straight stretch on the south side they'd have to cover to reach the evil corner. Its a clear view from one side of the lake to the other. Just saying.

If the bikes were staged, I think clearly the stager entered from the east side. He'd have to be an idiot to go in the other way. Too much risk involved.

I don't know what our fisher's lack of girls tells us, but I stand by my observations above.

Talking about movies. My daughter and i watched "Megan is missing". Big wake up call for my daughter and myself. She went through her fb friends and deleted who she didn't know. They were friends of her friends but she herself didn't know them.

Lyric had FB. Did she also use skype? This movie was about something like skype too.

Is that a dvd I can rent?

DES MOINES, Iowa -

I'm very pleased to see this, when I was there on Monday, no one was in the booth, but I did see flyers all over the midway.

CAUTION _ CAUTION !!!!! Do not attempt to read this if you are prone to PTSD or Panic attacks. I ran across it on a FB site when looking for the article that stated The Center for Missing Children contributed part of the $50K reward for Elizabeth and Lyric.

If you have ANY doubts that these rings are alive and well in our country this will dispel the thought. After I skipped over most of it, that I will attempt to go back and finish reading, I thought I'd post it here, not to make the rest of you sick too, but to stifle any of those who doubt that children are taken, traded ....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/05/child-*advertiser censored*-ring-uncovered_n_1743599.html

That link was posted a couple of weeks ago on this thread as well ... did you find a link to who contributed to the $50,000 reward? We know that a family friend contributed the $5000 that got the ball rolling.

Let me go to my history. All I had found that wasn't FB talk was a news article that said The Center for Missing children and undisclosed sources if memory serves me. I'll go check.

Well, it was on FB actually but the copied and pasted the newspaper article and gave the link. The link says it's no longer available but I will post it for your reference, and I was also wrong about the agency that contributed.

"Abben said new evidence has been sent to the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation's lab. He declined to say what the evidence was or where it was found.

He said a $50,000 reward through anonymous sources and Crime Stoppers is being offered in the case."

Source: http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_8082df22-e2e4-11e1-9b91-001a4bcf887a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14