IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best I can do...not sure there's the whole episode available to link...east coast time here....

So maybe those farther west can watch as it airs...and maybe someone more adept than me can figure out how to link...

Dateline NBC
Airdate: 09/02/12

A hidden-camera report on children's behavior when confronted by strangers. Correspondent: Natalie Morales.

I believe this is a repeat - at least they aired something similar a few months ago.

Yikes, yikes, yikes....just caught the end of Dateline NBC....

I'll go try to find a link...

Basically a 'staged' scenario of 'stranger-danger-trained' kids and an Ice Cream truck....

Wowzers....gonna go look for some kinda link...
it

U can watch it. Go to dateline on nbc news/

Yikes - dig a little and look what you find -

Excerpts from a statement by Senator Chuck Grassly, Iowa, to the Judiciary Executive Meeting dated 26 July 2012, roundly criticising the FBI -

sbm

Mr. Chairman,

Before we get to the agenda, I’d like to say a few words about the report issued by Former FBI Director William Webster regarding the FBI’s investigation of the attack at Ft. Hood by Major Nidal Hasan....following the attack, the FBI conducted an internal review and determined they had information on Major Hasan prior to the attack...In short, Judge Webster’s Commission found that the FBI made mistakes that resulted from a number of problems, some operational some technological.

Some of these mistakes are extremely concerning given they are basic management failures...other problems highlighted include failing to issue Intelligence Information Reports on Major Hasan to the Defense Department; confusion about which FBI office was investigating the lead; failures to interview Major Hasan; along with information technology limitations...all in all, the Webster report paints a disturbing picture of the FBI. It shows lack of training, failures to follow leads, and continued computer problems...

Ultimately, Judge Webster issued 18 recommendations for the FBI to implement to prevent future problems. The FBI agreed with these recommendations and has stated they’ll take action to implement them...we have a duty to make sure the FBI implements these recommendations and hold them accountable if they don’t.

The FBI’s failures in this case are inexcusable and shake public confidence in the FBI’s ability...If failures of this magnitude occur on high profile national security matters, it makes you wonder what the FBI is doing on other investigations.

Those responsible for these failures should be held accountable. I intend to follow-up with Director Mueller to determine what action was taken against those involved.

One more report that can’t go ignored is a report just released this morning by the Justice Department’s Office of the Inspector General. This report examined improper hiring practices within the Justice Department’s Justice Management Division. Shockingly, the Inspector General found that Justice Department employees openly and flagrantly violated federal law.

This is another example of the Justice Department run wild. It is troubling to me how employees within the Department colluded and schemed to hire one another’s relatives in order to avoid rules against nepotism. This is inexcusable and I can assure you I will be looking into this matter...this wasn’t a one-time event, and in fact the OIG pointed out similar problems existed in 2008. Despite what the Department called “aggressive action” to stop this type of behavior back in 2008, it appears nothing changed...At the very least, the Attorney General needs to hold these employees accountable—with more than just disciplinary action. Laws were broken and false statements were made. The Department can’t simply sweep this under the rug—employees need to be punished.

Thank you.
http://www.grassley.senate.gov/news/Article.cfm?customel_dataPageID_1502=41972

THAT ^^^is not very reassuring.

:what:

Not much to add....
My heart sinks everytime I log into WS and see that Elizabeth & Lyric's threads haven't been moved to the "Located" forum.

Not much to add....
My heart sinks everytime I log into WS and see that Elizabeth & Lyric's threads haven't been moved to the "Located" forum.

That and the fact that it's getting closer and closer to the 2nd page all the time.

Not much to add....

I know what you mean. I get all happy when I don't see their thread on the first page, only to be sad that it's not because it was moved to "Located," the thread has just dropped off of the main page. :(

The post office, referenced by the grandmother regarding how far they would go.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: When they`ve gone off before, how long did they usually stay out? And would they stay more in the immediate area?

COOK: Yes. It was just like where the post office used to be and a parking lot and then up and down the street, maybe a little ways down on the other side. And they`d come back and check in.

And they were always thirsty, wanted a V-8 juice or something to drink. And then maybe they`d go out for a short 10-minute ride again or something. But it wasn`t a regular basis every day that I would let them go.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Wilma, did you see them bike off? Did you see them get on their bikes and head out?

COOK: Yes. And they went to the parking lot where the post office is.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/17/ijvm.01.html

meyerspostoffice.jpg

I'm new here so please have patience if I''m not posting correctly. I notice the building in red being stated as the old post office...that's not correct. That building is an old gas station. The post office was across the parking lot in about the middle of the strip mall.

I'm new here so please have patience if I''m not posting correctly. I notice the building in red being stated as the old post office...that's not correct. That building is an old gas station. The post office was across the parking lot in about the middle of the strip mall.

Thanks. Do you know what other kinds of businesses are in that strip mall?

Welcome Jeynee!

Thanks for the correction.
Can you name any other business there that we may have overlooked or misnamed?

Thanks. I'm going to delete that image. The updated version is this one:

meyerspostoffice2.jpg

Here is the link to an article regarding Iowa's lack of uniform procedure for notifying the public and LE when a child is missing.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120903/NEWS/309030028/1046/ENT/?odyssey=nav|head

"When Evansdale police were first notified around 2 p.m. on July 13 that two young cousins were missing, a search for the girls began immediately, and within a matter of hours local residents and the media were notified, officials said.

But as the search for Lyric Cook-Morrissey, 10, and Elizabeth Collins, now 9, stretches into its seventh week, some are questioning whether more could have been done to alert the public.

One notification system that could have been issued but wasn’t: A Child is Missing, a free national service that alerts area residents and businesses."

Is it fair to wonder if the church that (I'm not 100 sure) shares the same parking lot as Cornbelt Auction house, was ever attended by either or both children. I'm just wondering if someone in that vicinity knew both girls for some reason. It is the last place the children were seen. MOO

None taken :)

The FBI is getting a fair amount of criticism for their (mis)handling of certain cases. I have read scathing editorials recently about the number of missing girls in the US, and the number of those cases who have clear suspects (mostly family), yet no arrests.

Lisa Irwin, Jonbenet Ramsey, Haleigh Cummings, and others, children surrounded by likely culprits, and circumstantial evidence, yet still no arrests.

Who is to blame?

In my opinion a combination of things, including miscommunication between the FBI and the local LE. We have seen it here, with Abben and Breault openly contradicting one another.

:banghead:

Thank you. I agree, it's alarming the number of children missing or found murdered and no resolution to the cases. Every day I log on and see even mor cases, and this is just a fraction of the ones all over the country that we never hear about.
I don't know what the whole cause is, but I sincerely hope they are on the trail of whoever did this and close to solving it. These families need some kind of closure.

Sounds odd to me that there are no more cameras in that area.

The quality of the images on the video they released was so poor, a lot of posters wondered how LE managed to identify the girls.

I wonder if it was a combination of the tape agreeing with Grandma Cook's last sighting time and not being able to find any other bicyclists of the right size who were on Brovan that day.

So maybe there were other bicyclists around town caught on cctv but they can't confirm which were the girls for sure, as opposed to other kids.

Remember the subpoena for KWWL's video footage of the interview with Misty and her mom? IIRC, the station no longer had any of the unaired footage to turn over. What would have prompted that action, I wonder?

"According to the four paragraph subpoena, KWWL may have knowledge regarding a criminal offense which occurred in Black Hawk County on or about July 13, the day the girls disappeared."

http://www.kwwl.com/story/19115317/kwwl-issued-subpeona-in-missing-girls-investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ery810