IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I zoomed in as far as I could on the image and the area that I circled is the banner on the coffee cup, IMO the banner is blue on the cup collected as evidence.

I did too, and I agree. It looks like that cup. You can really see the bronze effect in the sunlight too. MOO

Another thought. IF the cup belonged to a perp, then you would want to know what type of person buys coffee on a Friday morning at a convenience store, as opposed to having coffee at home. If it were a construction worker, I would expect that they would be buying something cold and wet (soda, ice tea) to take to work, and they usually buy a large quantity due to the heat. If it was a commuter..well, they were not commuting, because they weren't "at work" on on the way to work, but if they were a repair person who had a job that morning in town early..that would make some sense. A person on a bike, would most likely have their water in a water container on their bike or with them; especially, if they were biking any distance. In any case, LE has pretty much indicated the perp was using a vehicle on that day, whoever they/he/she is/are. MOO

I zoomed in as far as I could on the image and the area that I circled is the banner on the coffee cup, IMO the banner is blue on the cup collected as evidence.

I stopped by our local KwikStar on the way to services this morning, and there are a few different types of cups. They all have the distinctive label on the cup. Some of them have slightly different designs on the rest of the cup for the different sizes/types of coffee. (No, I didn't get a picture ... didn't think that fast.) After seeing the cups in person, I think there is a strong possibility that the cup in the photo is from a KwikStar. For some reason, KwikTrips are called KwikStar in Iowa - yep, same company.

Exactly, and I know we've been talking about this since one of the earliest threads. I wonder if there has been a witness who had a confirmed sighting of the girls around 2:00? Otherwise, not correcting the time on the poster is very misleading, IMO.

If you saw something odd at, say, 12:30, but "knew" via the poster that the girls were seen at 2:00, you'd figure what you saw couldn't have anything to do with Lyric and Elizabeth since they were still riding bikes at around 2:00.

Unless the "you" mentioned above was a WS'er, in which case you would have called it in anyway.:rocker:

BBM

I've worried about that exact same thing! Also, have wondered why LE hasn't asked that everybody who saw the girls at any time that day or spoke with one of them on the telephone earlier that day should come forward.

It would be great if we could figure out if the coffee cup is from Kwik Star (Iowa stores' name) vs. Kwik Trip (MN & WI stores' name).

If it's from Kwik Trip, we'd know someone was by the trail who had gotten coffee that morning in Wisconsin or Minnesota an hour or more away & then drove into Evansdale.

It seems like in several missing persons cases I've followed where there's a stranger abduction, the abductor isn't a local to the town where the abduction happened. Like they know better than to potty where they eat, for lack of a better phrase. Jaycee Duggard's captors abducted her 3 hours away from where they lived & confined her. Mickey Shunick's abductor lived about 30 minutes away from where she was abducted. The person of interest in Brittanee Drexel's abduction lived 50 miles away from where Brittanee went missing. I could go on & on (however, I know there are plenty of abductors who literally take kids/women who are walking in front of their homes).

I just really hope the area within reasonable driving distances around the Evansdale area are being flooded with these six key points- including all the way into WI & MN.

I think it is local, because Meyer's lake is so tiny and has a bike trail that runs for 50 odd miles. I don't think someone from MN would go there; especially when it is so close to a little town. This was a "precise" abduction with a getaway route already figured out. Easy access/egress, but by someone who had to know the area well enough to pull it off. Also, because the girls weren't found in the brush nearby or dumped recklessly...doesn't seem to be a passer through. This perp or possibly perps had a place in mind as a destination I believe. MOO

I know we have discussed this before, but I'm still puzzled by why the missing poster of Lyric and Elizabeth says they were last seen riding their bikes at around 2 p.m. The poster also asks for information from anyone who saw them after 12:15.

If this poster is incorrect about the 2 p.m. time, why hasn't the poster ever been corrected?

If the poster is right, who saw them at the lake at around 2 p.m.? The guy TB talked to??

Like I said, I know this has been discussed, but I'm still wondering about it.

Guessing that LE do know the time, but are giving slightly different or confusing times ,so that when they catch the perp, he/she/they will not have a convenient or coerced alibi for that time frame.

I would bet they've already thought of that.... and probably sent the cup to the lab for possible DNA and fingerprints, just in case.

With any luck, the perp was the type to bite a little on the brim, either as a habit or to hold cup up for a sec (bad idea, been there, done that)
Not sure of the environmental awareness issues there, but throwing a cup out like that could be a revealing trait.

If I lived in Evansdale or Waterloo or Cedar Rapids or anywhere nearby, I would be very worried about the safety of my children. I got one thing from LE's six key points and that was that somewhere out there is an "Regular Joe" that people know as a good neighbor, a decent guy, a nice fellow - just like you and me. "Regular Joe" wouldn't do anything like this - he volunteered to help you put your kids' swingset together, he loaned your neighbor a lawnmower when his broke, he helps out at the food bank, he even fixed the car of the widow down the street and didn't charge her a dime! No, it couldn't be Regular Joe. He has a job and hobbies. He's just like you and me. Except Regular Joe is wearing a mask. A really good mask. Maybe after talking with Regular Joe one day, you thought you had caught a glimpse of a mask, but then you remembered that Regular Joe is just like you and me - a good neighbor, a decent guy, a nice fellow. He's just an ordinary man, Regular Joe. He's your neighbor.

This brings to mind Shawn Morgan. Neighbors were shocked when he was arrested for the abduction and murder of little Breeann Rodriguez. The married father of three committed the crime while his family was out of town for the weekend. Everyone said he was a nice guy. He even helped search for Breeann with a neighbor the day she disappeared.

Guessing that LE do know the time, but are giving slightly different or confusing times ,so that when they catch the perp, he/she/they will not have a convenient or coerced alibi for that time frame.

That's probably right - but I can't help thinking that if this time is incorrect, some witnesses might not know to come forward with information. If they saw something after 12:15 that seemed suspicious, but thought the girls were still okay around 2:00, they might just shrug it off and forget about it.

But obviously LE is very aware of what they are doing, so if the poster says the girls were last seen around 2:00, and LE has never corrected that, it must be for a good reason. JMO

That's probably right - but I can't help thinking that if this time is incorrect, some witnesses might not know to come forward with information. If they saw something after 12:15 that seemed suspicious, but thought the girls were still okay around 2:00, they might just shrug it off and forget about it.

But obviously LE is very aware of what they are doing, so if the poster says the girls were last seen around 2:00, and LE has never corrected that, it must be for a good reason. JMO

That right there would be a reason that the biker's sighting was not publicly acknowledged by LE. MOO

With any luck, the perp was the type to bite a little on the brim, either as a habit or to hold cup up for a sec (bad idea, been there, done that)
Not sure of the environmental awareness issues there, but throwing a cup out like that could be a revealing trait.

I wonder how many discarded cups, cans, bottles, wrappers, etc. LE picked up around that area? I remember Ollipop (we miss you, Ollipop!) saw discarded cans in the area a day or so after the girls went missing, IIRC.

I think it's interesting to find out more about the coffee cup held by LE in the picture, but I'd be willing to bet it's just one of several pieces of trash they found. It's just the only one we've seen a picture of. JMO

I wonder how many discarded cups, cans, bottles, wrappers, etc. LE picked up around that area? I remember Ollipop (we miss you, Ollipop!) saw discarded cans in the area a day or so after the girls went missing, IIRC.

I think it's interesting to find out more about the coffee cup held by LE in the picture, but I'd be willing to bet it's just one of several pieces of trash they found. It's just the only one we've seen a picture of. JMO

I agree. The cup looks fresh, so it is worth sluething out, but it might be nothing.

There is a pic of two LEO's holding some things from the lake. I'll see if I can find the pic. . .one officer seems to be holding what look like two remote controls and the other looks like a shoe. BRB

This is the pic I was referring to. . .

500837baddcb1.preview-620.jpg

The caption reads

Officials retrieve objects from Meyer Lake in Evansdale, Iowa as the search for missing cousins Lyric Cook-Morrissey, 10, of Waterloo, and Elizabeth Collins, 8, of Evansdale on Thursday, July 19, 2012 in Evansdale, Iowa. (DAWN J. SAGERT / Courier Staff Photographer

This is the pic I was referring to. . .

500837baddcb1.preview-620.jpg

The caption reads

Officials retrieve objects from Meyer Lake in Evansdale, Iowa as the search for missing cousins Lyric Cook-Morrissey, 10, of Waterloo, and Elizabeth Collins, 8, of Evansdale on Thursday, July 19, 2012 in Evansdale, Iowa. (DAWN J. SAGERT / Courier Staff Photographer

It looks like an evidence container with something in it. If you enlarge the pic and even if you don't, there is something pinky/purply on the sand in the upper left-hand corner. Purse? Also, when enlarged, there is a can of some sort in the lower left corner with what appears to be fishing line or string going horizontally..probably just debris.

500837baddcb1_preview-620.jpg

Coffee Cup.GIF

Yes, these look like the things LE took from the lake to have processed

Wonder why they didn't dust the gate for finger prints...?:waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors