IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone watch Nancy Grace last night, about the missing Colorado girl? The huge thing that I noticed is they showed her backpack and other evidence and in our girls case we have never seen original pictures of Elizabeths purse, or their bikes. I also felt the coverage on the missing Colo. girl was so much more explicite.

Different states, different protocols.

I'm glad that there haven't been any paparazzi style shots of the families in this case. That I know of.

If there are, I will be so ashamed of my fellow Iowans. I like to think that for the most part Iowans know better than to act that way.

Just got this from my children's school

Dear Parents/Guardians:

Yesterday the parents of a Lincoln Elementary student reported an attempted abduction to the police. It was reported that he was riding his bike home from school when a white and black van pulled up. The driver asked him to get in the van and offered him chocolate. The student continued to ride his bike home. The driver was described as a white male in his 20's or 30's with a red beard.

Unfortunately we did not find out about this incident in time to send a letter home on Thursday evening. We will continue to discuss safety with our kids at school; however, it is a good time to remind your children of a few safety tips when walking or biking to and from school or waiting at the bus stop.

* Don't approach or talk to strangers.
* Don't approach a motor vehicle when walking or waiting for the bus - especially if someone is asking directions, showing a cute animal, or giving out presents.
* Never get in a strange vehicle - just run in a direction where there are other people.
* Walk with friends or family members.
* Don't trust anyone who tries to get you to break your parent's rules.
* Tell your parent or others about places or people that make you feel unsafe.
* Remember as many details as possible about the car and the person. Get the license plate number of the motor vehicle, if possible, and report this information immediately.

Please take a few minutes to visit with your child about these safety tips. Safety of our students is a top priority for us and by working together we can make our schools and community safer.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Pam Zeigler, Director of Elementary Education

This happened at 10th and Tremont Street. That is just a few blocks from my home :( :(

In the Jessica Ridgeway thread, Foxfire linked the following article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/27/s...-cases-offer-clues.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Abductors usually have very little, if any, contact with children in their daily lives.

That distinguishes them from a great majority of child molesters who are able to coerce victims by winning their trust and friendship.

''Why do these particular child molesters abduct?'' Mr. Lanning asked. ''Because they lack the interpersonal skills to attract, befriend and seduce their victims.''
For that reason, they are more likely than other molesters to use guns, knives or other force to commit their crimes.

This supports my theory in this case that neither Elizabeth nor Lyric knew the perp. If the perp were skilled enough to talk one or both girls into meeting him, he would not have needed to abduct them. He could leave them in place and abuse them over a long period of time.

Jessica's case isn't even solved yet. In three months, if we still don't have an arrest, will LE still be doing frequent press conferences? Will there still be regular media coverage? I know it seems that Colorado LE/media is doing a much better job, but I'm pretty sure at the two-week-mark, we all thought the same for Elizabeth and Lyric's case.

Wasn't there a young woman's dismembered body found along the Canadian-American border about a month after our girls went missing? Orange paint polish on toes?

Yes, yellow polish, but they said it was an adult foot.

Saturday marks three months since two young girls from the Waterloo-area vanished. The cousins, Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook of Evansdale, disappeared July 13th while on a bicycle ride and they’re still missing.
Robin Arnold, of Cedar Falls, says she was frustrated by how the situation was handled by law enforcement and she’s calling for change.
“It was seven days and they kept saying they were not abducted,” Arnold says.
“On the seventh day, they finally said, ‘The girls have been abducted.’ I got very upset and angry at that because I felt it went too slow, the process just went too slow.”
Arnold is the author of a bill she has forwarded to state legislators for consideration in January which would speed the process of finding a missing child.
She says she’s gotten more than 9,500 signatures of support on petitions. She calls it “The Cousins Law” and it contains several parts.
http://www.radioiowa.com/2012/10/12/woman-proposes-change-in-notification-for-missing-kids/

off topic: cindersoot.... :lol: I need to quit speed reading... I thought your post said yellow Polish (like the country)

I think the finding of these missing children sometimes is due to sheer luck. Same as it is with identifying the perp. Jessica's remains were found by men picking up trash along the roadway. From the pics I've seen, she would not have been so easily spotted if no one was paying attention. Someone saw or smelled something and went down into that little gully to investigate it, IMO. But what if they just ignored it and moved on? She still would not be found. Many times bodies are found by hunters, or someone just stumbling across them by accident. That's what it's going to take to find Liz and Lyric.

I'm not sure whether this was just bad police work, or simply not enough manpower and funds, or a combination of the two. We can't be behind the scenes watching everything they're doing, and there can be a lot going on that we don't hear about. The lack of communication with the public is not always proof that they are doing a bad job. Some agencies just are tighter-lipped than others and of course some DA's just run a tighter ship and don't allow information to leak out. As someone said, different agencies, different protocol. Cops have to follow a chain of command and sometimes there is a broken link somewhere in that chain.

If this was a stranger abduction, it's going to be a lot harder to solve than if it is a local. They have nothing to go on if that's the case.

Just some of my thoughts, take it for what it's worth.

You know the more I think about it, I wonder if the Colorado missing girl and our girls are connected. I say this because she looks so much like Elizabeth and Iowa isn't really too far from Colorado. I just wonder if this is the traveling perp who has been trying to abduct children in Iowa lately.?

There has been 2 incidents of someone trying to lure a child, one in waterloo the other day and then the one in Cedar falls, they are talking a lot about it on the news. Trying to draw parallels, between that and Lyric and Elizabeth it seems.

Just said on the news that there will be a vigil at Meyers lake, and if it rains, it will be at a local church for the girls. really pushing the tip line again, and saying that anything no matter how small or insignificant, should be reported.

News station was KWWL. Evening news cast stuff won't be on the website for a while yet

Goodnight girls. Thinking of you. I know I'm a little hung up on this Halloween thing, but the girls seem so creative. I wonder what they want to dress up as? How would they pick out and design their pumpkins?

I know this is incredibly unlikely at this point but I try so hard to think of them being at least together, warm, and (relatively) safe, as safe as possible.

Guys, I have lost all hope that our girls are still alive. I feel so frustrated because we are not hearing a darn thing in the media. Isn't Iowa important?? UGH

There is nothing from LE at all to indicate that any bikes were discovered laying on the trail and were swerved around at any time that day. We also don't have any indication from LE that there were any other bikes parked, dropped, laying or seen on the trail that day other than the ones they found, which were the girls' bikes. We don't "know" anything. MOO

That's the best summation of the "bikes in the path" situation that I've ever seen, and thanks for posting it!!

I am so sad and disappointed that these sweet girls are still missing. :rose: Where could they be?

Guys, I have lost all hope that our girls are still alive. I feel so frustrated because we are not hearing a darn thing in the media. Isn't Iowa important?? UGH

Cindersoot, I feel the same frustration. I'm just hoping there is a lot going on behind the scenes with LE/FBI, and that soon some kind of justice will occur.

Cindersoot, I feel the same frustration. I'm just hoping there is a lot going on behind the scenes with LE/FBI, and that soon some kind of justice will occur.

Same here. I come here hoping for good news, but also because I need to see others feeling what I'm feeling. Maybe I'm off my nut, but I feel like the girls are out there alive.

Does anyone know if the majority of the local community is still engaged with Lyric & Lizzie's case?

Until the perp is found, all children in the area are at risk- All children in the area are Lyric & Lizzie- they all could be abducted.

I hope the local community is pressuring for the perp (and the girls) to be found.

I can't believe this has gone on this long......

Same here. I come here hoping for good news, but also because I need to see others feeling what I'm feeling. Maybe I'm off my nut, but I feel like the girls are out there alive.

I try to hang onto what LE said..they said they strongly believed they are alive and they aren't concerned about the amount of time..It has been a long time since they said that, and I'm pretty worried in light of events in Colorado. I think it is possible that there is a migrating perp criss-crossing the US on I-80, which goes right by Evansdale...I'm praying it isn't the perp that got Jessica.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
poohgirl2001w