IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that if they were placed side by side, rather than end to end some distance apart, they would have been a lot easier to find.[/quote]
############################################################

BBM - My thoughts exactly.

And, my guess would be that the hunters (and others who might have gone through earlier) could have walked within 3 Ft. of either little body and not seen them.

IMO walking through high weeds can leave, temporarily, a noticeable path of bent down grasses. Perhaps that too could have caused perp to place bodies in two different places thinking that re-walking the same path would make it even more noticeable.

You are right. I found a article that says 5 feet...

"Even the hunters, if they had gone five feet in either direction, would not have found those bodies," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...ok-killer-missing-iowa-cousins_n_2257742.html

Has anything been stated to say the bodies were not found together?

I saw the positions of the white sheets, but one could have been the site where the girls were found, the other where bones ,or other evidence was found.

The statement from LE about the "five feet", i.e. that hunters might have missed them, etc. makes me think they were found together.

Yes, and allergens...all kinds of microscopic goodies. For example, I work with animals, and we had a seminar recently about personal protective equipment for minimizing exposure to allergens. Apparently when there are microscopic bits of animal urine, dander, and feces in the air, it really clings to your hair...so even if you don't have visible animal hairs on you, you're still carrying the proteins around in your hair.

FYI I wear a protective bonnet now. Just FYI. And I wash my hair every night.

Ewww.

:sick:

I believe Dan was paroled to his mothers, and Misty to her mothers.

Lyric was already with Misty's mum Wylma.

So why did Wylma say this -

Wylma Cook on Wednesday confirmed that Lyric had tried to run away from home several days before the cousins were reported missing. She said Lyric packed a bag after her father got mad at her for not completing her chores.
"She headed for the door, and I grabbed her," Cook said. "She dropped the backpack and I hugged and kissed her and I said it'll be OK."

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/328855/3/Search-for-missing-Iowa-girls-causes-tensions-to-rise

:dunno:

I read that as, she didn't complete her chores at Wylma's, and got in trouble with Dan at Wylma's.

Surely she should get in trouble with Wylma if her chores aren't done, not Dan? Unless Wylma thinks of Dan as the man of the house?

:cow:

BBM or, despite the fact that he did not reside with his daughter he is still her parent and perhaps Wilma still sees him as Lyric's parent and was attemptng treat him as one by making him aware that Lyric was balking at doing her chores?

:confused:

Has anything been stated to say the bodies were not found together?

I saw the positions of the white sheets, but one could have been the site where the girls were found, the other where bones ,or other evidence was found.

The statement from LE about the "five feet", i.e. that hunters might have missed them, etc. makes me think they were found together.

I hadn't thought about that. Good question.

I've wondered if the white sheets even represent where the girls were found. They could just be sheets/tarps covering evidence.

The photo was published the day after the bodies were found, IIRC, but I haven't been able to find out when it was actually taken. If it was taken Thursday, then the white sheets aren't covering the girls, as their bodies had already been removed. They could be covering the spots where the bodies were found, but I think it's just as likely they are covering evidence of some kind. JMO. So the sheets may not be an accurate indicator of where the bodies were found. Again, JMO.

Lyric had spent a lot of her childhood with Drew and Heather, but was living with grandma in Waterloo before/after Misty got parolled also to grandma's in Waterloo.

What my question has always been, and I was too scared to post it at the time, is where was Dan actually living when this happened?
<snipped for space>

IIRC he was living with his Mom at the time, and Lyric was living with grandma. I remember reading an article about Lyric's bedroom at her grandma's house and how it was decorated and such, but also that she normally slept in grandma's room. Not sure if/how that changed after Misty was released. I'll see if I can find it again but this was quite awhile ago so it maybe tough to locate even in the case archive. I'll link it if I can find it.

BBM or, despite the fact that he did not reside with his daughter he is still her parent and perhaps Wilma still sees him as Lyric's parent and was attemptng treat him as one by making him aware that Lyric was balking at doing her chores?

:confused:

That's basically what I thought - Wylma and Dan are on the phone, Dan asks if Lyric had done [insert chore here]. Wylma say no, Dan says put Lyric on the phone, and he fusses at her. JMO

IIRC he was living with his Mom at the time, and Lyric was living with grandma. I remember reading an article about Lyric's bedroom at her grandma's house and how it was decorated and such, but also that she normally slept in grandma's room. Not sure if/how that changed after Misty was released. I'll see if I can find it again but this was quite awhile ago so it maybe tough to locate even in the case archive. I'll link it if I can find it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/rep...randmother-s-attic-case-of-missing-iowa-girls

Lyric Cook-Morrissey and her mother Misty Cook-Morrissey were living with Wylma Cook at the time Lyric (10) and cousin Elizabeth Collins (8) went missing.

The Collins still live in Evansdale. Not sure exactly where Lyric lived. But a house that she lived in with Dan on Campbell avenue was recently for sale. It is listed as a Meth house. That's the only home I know of for Lyric unless she did live with grandma.

"They keep looking at the lake, but they're not in there," Cook (Lyric's grandmother) said Wednesday. Authorities "wouldn't listen to none of us."

In other developments Wednesday:

Authorities searched the attic of Wylma Cook's home. Lyric and her mother Misty Cook-Morrissey had been living in the residence (grandmother's house in Waterloo)."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-07-19/iowa-girls-search/56329148/1

That's basically what I thought - Wylma and Dan are on the phone, Dan asks if Lyric had done [insert chore here]. Wylma say no, Dan says put Lyric on the phone, and he fusses at her. JMO

Then why would she need to run away? She could just hang up the phone.

Wylma stopped her and soothed her, which implies she was running away from Dan not Wylma.

Does no one else see what I'm getting at?

No they were not necessarily headed to the lake. Only the lawn watering guy supposed saw them go by, and that timeframe is shaky. They were headed west on Brovan and there are no credable sitings after that. Zero. Somebody would have seen them at some point going that distance. My gut is that they never made it there. Too far ,too fast, without being noticed???

Sep 13, 2012 3:04pm

"“Today marks two months since the disappearance of 11-year-old Lyric Cook and 9-year-old Elizabeth Collins,” Rick Abben, chief deputy at the Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Office, said in a statement Thursday. “Both girls were last seen on July 13 at 12:15 p.m. riding their bicycles away from the Collins residence in Evansdale. We have information that the girls were seen approximately 12:23 p.m. on Brovan Blvd. and between 12:30 and 1:00 p.m. on Gilbert DR. in the area of Meyers Lake in Evansdale.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...-missing-2-months-authorities-plead-for-help/

[quote=Marilynilpa;8621611]I hadn't thought about that. Good question.

I've wondered if the white sheets even represent where the girls were found. They could just be sheets/tarps covering evidence.

The photo was published the day after the bodies were found, IIRC, but I haven't been able to find out when it was actually taken. If it was taken Thursday, then I doubt the white sheets are covering the girls, as their bodies had already been removed.[/quote]
################################################

BBM

Perhaps the bodies had already been removed, IMO, the sheets would have been protecting the spots where bodies had been found... in other words, marking and protecting the two spots where the best evidence would be found. Maybe? IDK

Would it be easier for a person to get to the place where the girls were found by going to the dead end of the dirt road and through the woods? Looks like a shorter distance to me.

I'm considering that thought too after the Bing Map views. Maiden Lane was listed on Bing Maps as a street vs not so on Google. Now we have 270 listed on Bing as well and showing a definite route thru the park and possibly a bridge was once located over the river to link up to 270 on the other side. So..there definitely could be a old dirt road or cow path now still usable. If so, the carrying distance could be around 150' or less especially if they utilized the dryness of the river bed.

I've tried to find articles or pics for the old bridges, etc, but haven't been successful. Maybe Otto can find something as he did with Maiden Lane and old pics, etc.

Right where the bodies were found is the narrowest to the "road" going thru the park. http://binged.it/VXJI7r

This is what I could figure out about 270 street on either side of the river ... based on looking at various maps a few days ago.

sevenbridgeEcloseup.jpg

Wylma stopped her and soothed her, which implies she was running away from Dan not Wylma.

I completely know what you're saying...and I think it makes complete sense.

I'm reading you loud and clear, Sapphire. I have been for months. When I don't get side-tracked by TG, I am on the same page as you. :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member