IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was not the same day. He swerved around the bikes on Friday. He was photographed talking to the police on Monday.

Yes ... photographed on the trail in the double fenced area, but not at the scene of the crime. I'm confused by this. If police wanted a witness statement, including an explanation of what was seen at the crime scene, why meet 400 feet from the crime scene? Why bother meeting at the scene of the crime if it's just nearby ... why not meet at the police station?

I don't think it would make any difference. If police wanted to discuss a witness statement at the scene of a crime, it surprises me that they would decide to meet 400 feet away instead of at the actual scene of the crime.

They weren't discussing his witness statement. They were merely walking the trail, and he was out on another bike ride. He happened to see them, so he stopped to see how it was going. This is from the Courier article that had that photo. Or, I'm sure SierraShelby can confirm it for us himself when he comes back.

I don't think it would make any difference. If police wanted to discuss a witness statement at the scene of a crime, it surprises me that they would decide to meet 400 feet away instead of at the actual scene of the crime.

IIRC they didn't "meet".

TG bikes around the lake regularly, he stopped and spoke to LE on one of his regular rides, and as the media were all over town, it got photographed.

You can now confirm that directly . :)

I wonder why the photos of the cyclist talking with police are on the double fenced part of the trail, but not at the gate.

Because that is where the officers and SierraShelby were when the news photographer took the shot?

Yeah, it would be a more meaningful photo if they had been standing on the same spot but it is unethical for a news photographer to ask people to change anything in the shot to make it "better." A news photographer's job is to photograph the moments, not to arrange the moments.

IIRC they didn't "meet".

TG bikes around the lake regularly, he stopped and spoke to LE on one of his regular rides, and as the media were all over town, it got photographed.

You can now confirm that directly . :)

It's interesting that the media knew in advance so they were ready to snap a couple of photos before police were notified.

IIRC TG was riding at the lake the day the photo(s) was taken. He had stopped to talk with the LE who were there on the trail. LE did not 'meet' with him in a pre-arranged way. This is my recollection only, I do not have a link.

I think my biggest hurdle to the girls riding their bikes to the lake is they rode to the lake for the first time ever, straight there to be murdered.

They weren't abducted from a park they routinely visited, they weren't abducted from where they were typically at or where they were supposed to be at. They were abducted from somewhere they had never been and would never go. It's really hard to fathom that.

I'd imagine they'd been told it wasn't safe to ride their bikes to the lake, but they ride their bikes to the lake and bam dead. I'm sure their parents didn't think they'd be killed if they went to the lake, it just was too far for two little girls.

It all just seems so unlikely.

Moo

Because that is where the officers and SierraShelby were when the news photographer took the shot?

Yeah, it would be a more meaningful photo if they had been standing on the same spot but it is unethical for a news photographer to ask people to change anything in the shot to make it "better." A news photographer's job is to photograph the moments, not to arrange the moments.

What a coincidence. The cyclist just happened to bump into three officers right near the crime scene, in the double fenced area, and a photographer just happened to be right there ... and just happened to snap several photos of a witness.

It's interesting that the media knew in advance so they were ready to snap a couple of photos before police were notified.

Not really.

I expect the media were trailing LE around like a bunch of baby ducks.

This was national (international) news, reporters came from everywhere.

Yes ... photographed on the trail in the double fenced area, but not at the scene of the crime. I'm confused by this. If police wanted a witness statement, including an explanation of what was seen at the crime scene, why meet 400 feet from the crime scene? Why bother meeting at the scene of the crime if it's just nearby ... why not meet at the police station?

I thought that SierraShelby was riding the same route on that Monday as he did on Friday. He happened to come upon police officers near but not exactly at the point he saw the bicycles on Friday. A news photographer photographed that instant.

But what did they do before or after that photograph? A photograph is a couple hundredths of a second.

I just don't think it is all that significant.

Media was there already looking for photo ops I'm sure.

O/T...Could someone please tell me how to find Waterloo arrest records (if possible) for about July 26, 2012 thru July 29, 2012? I tried Black Hawk Co. site and Waterloo police site but can't get nothing back that far? Any suggestions?

I found one for 7/28-8/4/2012. Search google sometimes they show up. It doesn't have much. I'll try searching some more.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/102018092...epartment-Arrest-Log-July-28-to-August-4-2012

eta, there's other arrest logs on that sight, scribd where you might find it too.

Do you have a link for that?

Tia.

The first sentence of my post states that I do not have time to locate a link. I know you have been here since day one, and the topic of where the bikes were found has been discussed multiple times on numerous threads.

I will gladly look for the link when I am able to. If you would like to find it before that, it should be easy for you to find. JMO

What a coincidence. The cyclist just happened to bump into three officers right near the crime scene, in the double fenced area, and a photographer just happened to be right there ... and just happened to snap several photos of a witness.

And that is how the news is made.

It isn't much of a coincidence that SierraShelby ran into LE officers at the lake that day since two girls had disappeared from that location. There were LE officers around the lake; according to Squeeze, a local, LE officers were stopping people near the lake to ask if they'd seen anything the previous Friday.

The news photographer was probably shadowing the police officers, hoping to catch a photogenic moment.

The bikes were found exactly where TG saw them. He posted here over the weekend that they were "at the gate" when he swerved around them, and that the gate was closed. He said this was not the "people" gate closer to Maiden Lane, it was the "gate by the rocks where people fish." That is the exact spot where the bikes were found by the searchers.

I thought the bikes were found leaning against the fence?!!:banghead: At least that is what Abben stated.

I swear to the Lord we had a conversation way back in the day that it wouldn't surprise us if someone who came long and saw the bikes laying in the path would move them out of the way against the fence not even knowing that they belonged to 2 girls who'd been abducted.

The first sentence of my post states that I do not have time to locate a link. I know you have been here since day one, and the topic of where the bikes were found has been discussed multiple times on numerous threads.

I will gladly look for the link when I am able to. If you would like to find it before that, it should be easy for you to find. JMO

I have heard the "propped" against the fence many times but I don't think I've ever actually seen a link.

As you point out, I have been here since day one so it is unlikely I've missed it, although not impossible at all.

I keep most msm and links in a private document, and I have 80 pages of it on this case...nowhere can I find the "propped" statement except from an overexcited reporter's speculations.

But then I'm fairly sure I've got early onset Alzheimers anyway so I could well have missed it, like I did the 12.23 "confirmation". Sorry.

I was talking to my husband about the case and he suggested that, depending on what LE knows, maybe a sting operation could flush out the perp(s).

I got to thinking about it and started wondering just what sort of sting could be run.

Anyone want to speculate?

I'll start with what I came up with: LE makes a statement that paint fragments and carpet fibres consistent in characteristics to vehicle carpeting were found on the girls' clothing. Maybe they even point out that the specific combo of colour, type of paint and type of carpet would be strong evidence connecting a particular vehicle with the girls.

And then they monitor vehicle sales for the next month, to see if anyone whose name is already in the hopper sells a vehicle.

I thought the bikes were found leaning against the fence?!!:banghead: At least that is what Abben stated.

I swear to the Lord we had a conversation way back in the day that it wouldn't surprise us if someone who came long and saw the bikes laying in the path would move them out of the way against the fence not even knowing that they belonged to 2 girls who'd been abducted.

good luck finding this sourced. I'm pretty sure it was from a daily conference. I don't know if there any transcripts of those.

I looked for a good 5-10 minutes and nothing.

There is a link to where LE says where the bikes were found, but I can't search for it now. I know we discussed this in the earlier threads.

My reason for thinking the bikes TG saw (if they belonged to the girls) could not have been in the same location as when LE found them is simple - TG saw them laying across a path, but LE found them leaning against a fence. So if the bikes TG saw actually were Lyric and Lizzie's, they were moved after he saw them. JMO

bbm
I recall that Abben said he saw one or perhaps both leaning against the fence when HE arrived. That, to me, does not mean they were first discovered leaning against the fence.

There was discussion that they were moved over against the fence after crime scene photos and other forensic evidence was gathered. It might not have even been designated a crime scene immediately, and LE moved the bikes over against the fence after they had what information they deemed necessary at the time.

I do not recall LE ever stating how the bikes were originally found by them. It would be great if someone has a link that shows LE stating how and where the bikes were first located by LE.

Found this -

But they say that they didn`t find any clues along with the bikes. Now, I want to ask you, and maybe your husband Daniel knows, did the bikes look like they were placed there deliberately by the girls? For example, were they on the kickstands? Or were they scattered on the dirt road, as if they had been dumped there -- Daniel?

DANIEL MORRISSEY, FATHER OF LYRIC: When I got there, it was around 5 p.m. And they already roped off the whole area, and they weren`t allowing anybody back there. I have no idea what the bikes` positions were.

I believe the direction they said was going west on the trail. So like, they were going to probably continue in the same direction. They just stopped, it seemed like.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/16/ijvm.01.html

Dan and Misty talking to JVM.

The parents weren't told, and I don't think we were either, in an official way at least.

I have to chalk it up as "unconfirmed" at the moment.

Along with the 12.23 sighting which later disappeared from LE's official timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member