IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
O/T

Here's a link to an article about two teenaged boys who are missing, presumed dead, after falling through ice on a lake.

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2013/01/missing_budd_lake_boys_father.html

I'm posting it here because the article mentions several times that the boys had been reminded repeatedly not to go on the ice, and yet they did.

It makes me think of Lyric and Lizzie being told that Meyers Lake is too far for them to go alone. And being told not to ride too far from the Collins house.

Good kids can and do disobey the instructions of their parents, sometimes with tragic results. JMO

Does anyone have a link to Dan telling the story of when Lyric went missing in Waterloo on 7/9?

He used a specific word indicating that she was sent to that park for a reason. But I don't remember the exact word/phrasing.

He said something like, "she went to a destination to meet someone" and then when she didn't return, they all freaked out, called the police, and reported an abduction.

However, right as they were calling police, she came strolling up the walk.

I'd LOVE to read that transcript again if anyone can find it. (I'm looking too.)

If LE were to hold a presser in the near future and announce that they have evidence that this was a sexually-motivated crime, would it change anyone's theory? Personally, I go back and forth on the motivation. Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Yes, that would change my motive, however my "motive" could progress to some sexual aspects being involved, especially if the girls were held for awhile before they were killed. My motive centers around, revenge, retaliation, and collateral!

I don't see any reason that the girls had to know the person that lured them to the park. All it would take is for someone to ask the girls if they were heading down to the big children's party at the SE tip of the lake.

I agree that there is no reason the girls had to know the person, but if we are speculating about the girls being lured to the park, IMO it is more likely they knew the person doing the luring.

I know that, at first, all the money being donated to the funds was split between the 2 families. But then, at some point, the entire fund was transferred to Heather and she was named the trustee/executor/whatever.

Do you remember when this happened? Was it after the night in the hotel room and aggressive questioning of Misty/Dan? I think it must have been, because that was the weekend after the abduction/weekend JW was put in jail to "dry out." I think the fund was transferred longer than a week after the abduction.

Do you remember WHY it happened? Was there some misuse of the funds? I remember Facebook rumors and posted photos of nights on the town, manicures, new clothes, etc. But would those things really prompt the bank to switch the account into only Heather's name? I would think it would take something larger than that.

Sorry if this is forbidden -- I will delete and you can ignore. I'm just trying to figure out who LITERALLY profited from the murder.

Huh????

Obviously missed that one.

How strange.

Then there's that photo taken at the vigil where 3 closely involved folks look like they're celebrating a lotto win instead of the disappearance of two little girls...:silenced:

Normally the trustee would be someone impartial, like a law firm.

There is also the option of putting any money in the children's personal bank accounts.

The fact that the fund has been tightened up implies to me that yes, there could well have been some misuse of funds.

:cow:

On the topic of possible motives, here is an interesting quote from an expert that I don't recall reading before:

David Finkelhor, director of the Crimes Against Children Research Center at the University of New Hampshire, said that claim means investigators could 'have something quite important' for evidence.

He said cases of two children being abducted by a stranger were rare since it would be hard for one person to control both, which makes the common motive of sexual gratification less likely in this case.

He said it makes sense to look into whether the abduction is linked to the pending drug charges against Mr Morrissey.

In other cases, children have been kidnapped by rivals out of retaliation or held hostage to prevent incriminating testimony, he said."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...irl-Lyric-Cook-hospitalised-unresponsive.html

Does anyone have a link to Dan telling the story of when Lyric went missing in Waterloo on 7/9?

He used a specific word indicating that she was sent to that park for a reason. But I don't remember the exact word/phrasing.

He said something like, "she went to a destination to meet someone" and then when she didn't return, they all freaked out, called the police, and reported an abduction.

I'd LOVE to read that transcript again if anyone can find it. (I'm looking too.)

He tells Jane Velez-Mitchell, "I was in Waterloo at my mom's house with my son. And I was taking a nap and my wife called and woke me up and told me Lyric was missing. This had just happened probably four days before that where she was supposed to go to, you know, a certain destination and then come back and after a while she hadn't come back. They went to that destination and she wasn't there. So things got stirred up. My wife called me then and told me the same thing. That she's missing. I told her to call the cops. And they went around to drive around some more and all of a sudden my daughter's calling me from my wife's phone and saying, Daddy. So four days after that I'm getting another call from my wife saying the same thing, you know. So I'm like what?"

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/07/17/iowa-girl-went-missing-days-earlier

Huh????

Obviously missed that one.

How strange.

Then there's that photo taken at the vigil where 3 closely involved folks look like they're celebrating a lotto win instead of the disappearance of two little girls...:silenced:

Normally the trustee would be someone impartial, like a law firm.

There is also the option of putting any money in the children's personal bank accounts.

The fact that the fund has been tightened up implies to me that yes, there could well have been some misuse of funds.

Here is some info on the fund:

Trust fund

"A trust fund set up at First Security Bank in Evansdale shortly after the girls vanished still exists, according to Evansdale Police Chief Kent Smock.

He noted he has been working with both families to apply for money through the Iowa Attorney General's Victim's Compensation Fund. Each can receive up to $7,500 to cover funeral expenses. Other benefits also are available.

If that isn't enough, Smock said, using money from the account is an option.

Currently, no money has been distributed to the Cooks or Morrisseys."

http://qctimes.com/news/local/paren...cle_09ef603a-453e-11e2-8659-0019bb2963f4.html

I can't tell if that means that no money has been distributed from the IAG's victim compensation fund, or from the trust fund. But I know Heather oversees the trust fund, and that Misty's name was removed from it.

Since dotr posted the information of the big wrestling event that was going on in Evansdale on the same date as the girls went mssing, Friday, July 13th, I wonder if there was wrestling fanatic who planned on going to this event. Talked about going. Posted it on various media sites how great this event was going to be. Even arrived to Evansdale earlier in the day he was so psyched about it and then in the end he was a no-show...

If LE were to hold a presser in the near future and announce that they have evidence that this was a sexually-motivated crime, would it change anyone's theory? Personally, I go back and forth on the motivation. Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Yes I also go back and forth on the reasoning behind it. I'm also not sure if they knew their abductor. At first, my thoughts were that they knew him, if they had been taken near their home.

But then, after seeing the posters that were hung up saying they were last seen on Gilbert I started thinking RSO, or maybe someone that's not registered but has those tendencies. Not sure that even the girls knew what adventures they wanted to pursue that day. So in IMO I don't think someone was sitting there waiting for them knowing that the girls were going to go to that particular spot. Its possible he was following them and saw the perfect moment to approach them. Did I read that the dogs did go into the woods around where the bikes were found?

D. MORRISSEY: I was in Waterloo at my mom`s house with my son. And I was taking a nap, and my wife called and woke me up and told me that Lyric was missing.

This had just happened probably four days before, that where she was supposed to go to, you know, a certain destination and then come back, and after a while she hadn`t come back. And they went to that destination and she wasn`t there. And so things got stirred up. My wife called me then and told me the same thing, that she`s missing. And I told her to call the cops.

And they went around to drive around some more, and all of a sudden my daughter`s calling me from my wife`s phone and saying, "Daddy." You know?

So four days after that I`m getting another call from my wife and saying the same thing, you know. So I`m like what? And so she was out looking for her and I guess, you know, the police got involved and...

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I`m not -- I`m not sure I understand. Are you saying that there was an incident prior to the Friday incident?

D. MORRISSEY: Yes.

M. MORRISSEY: Yes. A week before this, Lyric and her other cousin, Tammy`s daughter, Kaylee (ph), who were in Green Briar, which is another division of Waterloo, and they went walking to the park. They were gone for an extended amount of time. We went looking for them at the park, and they weren`t there. So we called the police. They -- right when I called the police they came walking up to the house.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So I`m trying to process all this. And you know much more about it. Please don`t take anything I`m asking personally, but is it possible that the little -- one of the little girls may have wanted to run away or been overly curious about just going off? Getting to that age where they want to just maybe take off?

M. MORRISSEY: No.

D. MORRISSEY: Absolutely not.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Is there any commonality? Is it just a coincidence that these two incidents happened a couple of days apart?

M. MORRISSEY: I think so, yes. The first incident, you know, a week prior, her and Kaylee (ph) were just playing at the park. You know, just playing, being kids. And it really wasn`t that far away. It wasn`t -- they were gone a little bit too long, but they weren`t that far away.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/17/ijvm.01.html

The thing is, the only people who know the motivation (at present) is the perp.

Even the accomplices may not know the real motive.

There may well have been a sexual element in this. If you're cruel enough to steal two little girls you are cruel enough to stand by while one of your accomplices has some fun.

As for it being the actual motive (eg a pedophile on the hunt) I sincerely doubt it.

There is no way that a rockspider just so happened to be hanging out at a quiet corner of the lake, just on the offchance a suitable child would come past alone. It was school holidays, most children at a lake or park would be with a carer of some sort...let alone the paranoid "stranger danger" hover parents who view every man with suspicion (me).

Just doesn't make sense no matter which way you view it.

Also I remain mindful of the Sheriff's speech about "the people responsible" and "we don't even have a gender", which argues against a sexual assault.

Women can and do become pedophiles, but this is also comparatively rare. Even Tori Staffords female abductor stood by and watched the sexual assault, and did not take part.

BBM

I've wondered about possible accomplices. If they participated in the abduction, without knowing the girls would be killed, would the accomplices come forward once they learned the girls were dead?

Aren't accomplices to murder also considered guilty of the crime, even if they don't directly participate? Or is that just something I've seen on t.v.:waitasec:

If an accomplice felt he/she/they might be charged with murder, perhaps that explains why no one has come forward?

He tells Jane Velez-Mitchell, "I was in Waterloo at my mom's house with my son. And I was taking a nap and my wife called and woke me up and told me Lyric was missing. This had just happened probably four days before that where she was supposed to go to, you know, a certain destination and then come back and after a while she hadn't come back. They went to that destination and she wasn't there. So things got stirred up. My wife called me then and told me the same thing. That she's missing. I told her to call the cops. And they went around to drive around some more and all of a sudden my daughter's calling me from my wife's phone and saying, Daddy. So four days after that I'm getting another call from my wife saying the same thing, you know. So I'm like what?"

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/07/17/iowa-girl-went-missing-days-earlier

BBM

THANK YOU!! I guess that could be read either way -- very nefariously (she was sent to a destination) or completely innocently (she was supposed to go to a destination agreed upon by the parents, like the park).

The "you know" in the middle of the sentence is interesting.

BBM

I've wondered about possible accomplices. If they participated in the abduction, without knowing the girls would be killed, would the accomplices come forward once they learned the girls were dead?

Aren't accomplices to murder also considered guilty of the crime, even if they don't directly participate? Or is that just something I've seen on t.v.:waitasec:

If an accomplice felt he/she/they might be charged with murder, perhaps that explains why no one has come forward?

That's a real thing. Anyone who sees a crime being committed and does not report it has committed a crime themselves. (I've been following the Steubenville rape case closely, and this has come up a lot.) And further, anyone present in the commission of a felony is subject to the same penalty as the person who actually committed the felony (I know this from watching way too much The First 48).

BBM

We don't know that.

Personally I'm starting to suspect one of the accomplices/closely linked did come forward at some stage...perhaps even very early on.

There is a reason for why I thought that but it's only 6am here and it eludes me right now.

I have a bunch of hungry eyes glaring at me (run out of cat biscuits) its very distracting.

D. MORRISSEY: I was in Waterloo at my mom`s house with my son. And I was taking a nap, and my wife called and woke me up and told me that Lyric was missing.

This had just happened probably four days before, that where she was supposed to go to, you know, a certain destination and then come back, and after a while she hadn`t come back. And they went to that destination and she wasn`t there. And so things got stirred up. My wife called me then and told me the same thing, that she`s missing. And I told her to call the cops.

And they went around to drive around some more, and all of a sudden my daughter`s calling me from my wife`s phone and saying, "Daddy." You know?

So four days after that I`m getting another call from my wife and saying the same thing, you know. So I`m like what? And so she was out looking for her and I guess, you know, the police got involved and...

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I`m not -- I`m not sure I understand. Are you saying that there was an incident prior to the Friday incident?

D. MORRISSEY: Yes.

M. MORRISSEY: Yes. A week before this, Lyric and her other cousin, Tammy`s daughter, Kaylee (ph), who were in Green Briar, which is another division of Waterloo, and they went walking to the park. They were gone for an extended amount of time. We went looking for them at the park, and they weren`t there. So we called the police. They -- right when I called the police they came walking up to the house.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So I`m trying to process all this. And you know much more about it. Please don`t take anything I`m asking personally, but is it possible that the little -- one of the little girls may have wanted to run away or been overly curious about just going off? Getting to that age where they want to just maybe take off?

D. MORRISSEY: Absolutely not.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Is there any commonality? Is it just a coincidence that these two incidents happened a couple of days apart?

M. MORRISSEY: I think so, yes. The first incident, you know, a week prior, her and Kaylee (ph) were just playing at the park. You know, just playing, being kids. And it really wasn`t that far away. It wasn`t -- they were gone a little bit too long, but they weren`t that far away.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/17/ijvm.01.html

Thank you. I think it is just the word "destination" that bothers the heck out of me. Why not just say they "went to the park?"

I looked up the definition just to make sure I'm not stretching it in my head.

des·ti·na·tion
/ˌdestəˈnāSHən/
Noun
The place to which someone or something is going or being sent.

To me it implies there was a goal, or an aim -- a REASON they went there. And just 4 days before the abduction. SO weird!

Here is some info on the fund:

Trust fund

"A trust fund set up at First Security Bank in Evansdale shortly after the girls vanished still exists, according to Evansdale Police Chief Kent Smock.

He noted he has been working with both families to apply for money through the Iowa Attorney General's Victim's Compensation Fund. Each can receive up to $7,500 to cover funeral expenses. Other benefits also are available.

If that isn't enough, Smock said, using money from the account is an option.

Currently, no money has been distributed to the Cooks or Morrisseys."

http://qctimes.com/news/local/paren...cle_09ef603a-453e-11e2-8659-0019bb2963f4.html

I can't tell if that means that no money has been distributed from the IAG's victim compensation fund, or from the trust fund. But I know Heather oversees the trust fund, and that Misty's name was removed from it.[/quote]
Was this info from MSM,FB or a comment made on an article?

Since dotr posted the information of the big wrestling event that was going on in Evansdale on the same date as the girls went mssing, Friday, July 13th, I wonder if there was wrestling fanatic who planned on going to this event. Talked about going. Posted it on various media sites how great this event was going to be. Even arrived to Evansdale earlier in the day he was so psyched about it and then in the end he was a no-show...

That would be something to look into, and it goes along with something the DCI said:

Perhaps you know someone who was talking about planning on being in the Evansdale area on the 13th of July. Perhaps they were planning to visit someone, go camping, fishing, boating, or visit for business. Perhaps the next time you spoke with them they explained that something interfered with that plan, and they didn’t go as planned. That could be an important lead that we need to know about and follow up on.

http://www.iowa.gov/odcp/docs/missingIowagirls.pdf

Was this info from MSM,FB or a comment made on an article?

Sorry, Holly, but I honestly don't remember at this point. I just remember reading about it very early on in the case. It was around the time that the photo of Misty and Tammy smiling at the Mexican restaurant on the night of the balloon release was posted on FB by one of Tammy's daughters and people FREAKED OUT because they looked so happy. Then the Courier ran that photo (it was tweeted to the reporter, I think that Essig guy) -- so honestly, it could have been a comment on that article, in the article itself, or via FB.

Thank you. I think it is just the word "destination" that bothers the heck out of me. Why not just say they "went to the park?"

I looked up the definition just to make sure I'm not stretching it in my head.

des·ti·na·tion
/ˌdestəˈnāSHən/
Noun
The place to which someone or something is going or being sent.

To me it implies there was a goal, or an aim -- a REASON they went there. And just 4 days before the abduction. SO weird!

Yeah...it must be related SOMEHOW.

Even if it was to give someone a brilliant idea or plan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelChard