IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Geeeeesh, I know the feeling. I put a post up to help someone out with a theory and the next thing I know, I'm stuck having to defend something I don't even believe happened. :banghead:

A glass of Pinot or even cup of Earl Grey decaf is WAAAY better than that brick wall. *offers beverage*:rocker:

The flip side:

http://www.innocenceproject.org/

Can you look someone in the eye who was falsely convicted of a crime and spent over 20 years in prison and tell him that you think the system worked just fine in his case? That it worked too hard in fact?

I look at the last 20 years of my life and think of what happened: I met my now husband who I love more now after 18 years together; I've had several dogs who were the light of my life; I had a career that filled my spirit with joy; I watched my siblings' three children grow up and earned my status as the crazy auntie; I spent my mother's last days on earth at her bedside holding her hand, including the moment she died. More things happened than I can possibly list and none of them would have happened had I been unjustly incarcerated.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing that can make such a loss good again.

The Department of Justice estimates that 3-5% of the people in prison today are falsely convicted. Since the vast majority of those cases do not involve DNA evidence, those people serve sentences that they did not deserve with no relief possible. At the low end of the estimate, that is 60,000 people in jail, losing parts of their lives that can never be given back to them.

Which is exactly why I do not believe in the death penalty. You can't bring someone back to life if you find out later that they were innocent. The innocence project does great work!!

BBM-that is your opinion stated as fact. Not all children are slaves to social media. My son has had his FB and twitter accounts for four years and he's used them maybe a dozen times.

The truth is, we don't KNOW much for sure. And I don't purport to KNOW things as fact. I am theorizing. As we ALL are at this point. My opinions and ideas are no less valid than anyone else's.

I agree with that. We set up an email account for my daughter about 3 years ago so that she could have a way to talk to her grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, all of whom live very far away. This was she could share pics and day-to-day events, which her grandparents especially love when the reports are in her own words.

However, the novelty wore off fast and pretty soon I was having to hound DD about emailing Grandma just like I have to hound her about writing her thank-yous for gifts. Which I do maniacally because I am old-fashioned and mean, lol.

Now, she just talks to her grandparents when her dad or I phone them. Sigh.

I agree with that. We set up an email account for my daughter about 3 years ago so that she could have a way to talk to her grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, all of whom live very far away. This was she could share pics and day-to-day events, which her grandparents especially love when the reports are in her own words.

However, the novelty wore off fast and pretty soon I was having to hound DD about emailing Grandma just like I have to hound her about writing her thank-yous for gifts. Which I do maniacally because I am old-fashioned and mean, lol.

Now, she just talks to her grandparents when her dad or I phone them. Sigh.

I must be a meanie too, because I insist on hand-written thank you notes too. :)so glad I m not the only one!

Yep - great example. And that was a big-city police department working on THE most visible murder investigation of the year. They checked Google but forgot to check Yahoo and Bing. And there it was -- evidence that could have swayed the jury to convict her.

I actually don't think the perp was someone they met online. I just want to make sure LE has checked every possible avenue. I come here to brainstorm ideas to help solve this crime, not to argue!

In the real world, brainstorming is terrific. There are no restrictions, so you are free to throw out any ideas. But on a forum such as this, with TOS to follow, if you throw out an idea you have to be prepared to back it up with a link to MSM or LE. Someone will call you on it, that's just how we are.:what:

There are some people on here I always agree with, some I usually agree with, some I seldom agree with, and some I disagree with just about every time they post something. I've learned a long time ago to "scroll and roll" when it comes to certain posts. It isn't necessary to respond to all of them. JMO

I value your input, and hope you don't give up posting here. I think it's good to "stir up the pot" with ideas that haven't been discussed before.

I wonder how many strangers have looked at the various family members facebook pages and other things on the internet since the girls' disappearance? I wonder how many family members have been harassed by strangers via the internet since the the girls' disappearance? I wonder how many times each of these family members have been harassed via the internet since the girls' disappearance?

My guess is lots; tragedies like this seem to bring out the vultures.

Geeeeesh, I know the feeling. I put a post up to help someone out with a theory and the next thing I know, I'm stuck having to defend something I don't even believe happened. :banghead:

BBM

Been there, done that.:floorlaugh:

If any of my posts this evening sounded like I was picking on you, that was never my intent.

In the real world, brainstorming is terrific. There are no restrictions, so you are free to throw out any ideas. But on a forum such as this, with TOS to follow, if you throw out an idea you have to be prepared to back it up with a link to MSM or LE. Someone will call you on it, that's just how we are.:what:

There are some people on here I always agree with, some I usually agree with, some I seldom agree with, and some I disagree with just about every time they post something. I've learned a long time ago to "scroll and roll" when it comes to certain posts. It isn't necessary to respond to all of them. JMO

I value your input, and hope you don't give up posting here. I think it's good to "stir up the pot" with ideas that haven't been discussed before.

Such as feral pigs and big swan shaped paddleboats? :floorlaugh:

Again disagree. Two curious little girls can get in more trouble and be agged on. I know...I was a 10 yr old girl at one time and went to sleepovers; although we had little pink telephones instead of computers. ;) I made calls and said things I would never ever dream of doing by myself in my own house.

Maybe once to a FB friend..not actually the perp is all it would take to find out where she would be the next day. The perp could have a child who was online with Lyric and the perp saw the conversation. ??? Perp knows the family. "I'm going to my cousin Elizabeth's tomorrow in Evansdale while my Gma babysits and my Aunt Heather goes to the Dr. We always go bike riding. I won't be back until Mom gets off work at 2. She works there too." ???

My point in all this discussion is to say I believe LE should have a look at the puters in Tammy's household, imo. Maybe they have and we just don't know it.

BBM

I think the bolded statement needs to be translated into FBspeak:

"goin 2 my cuz elizabeth 2moro n evansdale while my gma bbysts n my ant heather go 2 doctr we alwys go bike ridin i won't b back ntil mom gets off work 2 she wrks there 2"

carwestofparkinglotmeyerslake.jpg

BBM

Been there, done that.:floorlaugh:

If any of my posts this evening sounded like I was picking on you, that was never my intent.

No, I didn't feel that way with your posts at all. In fact, I value your posts tremendously. You keep us within TOS and we need a nudge every so often :blushing:

Thanks button wasn't enough. As the parent of an eleven-year-old, I am torn between allowing her certain freedoms and protecting her from what I KNOW lurks out there.

She got a Kindle Fire for Christmas, but we disabled the WiFi so she cannot go online unless we bypass the block. She was complaining about it tonight and I looked at her and said "Really? You really want to go there? You are ELEVEN. You have a Kindle Fire. I, your mother, do not have a tablet of any kind. I, your mother, am in charge of making sure you are not harmed by people who live just to harm you. Therefore, you will be happy to have all the books and music you enjoy on a cool tablet device, with the occasionally approved internet access, and you will be joyful or I will appropriate said Kindle Fire as my own. Any questions?"

There were none. Score one for the meanest mom in the whole wide world. :great:

OMG you ARE the meanest mom in the world!!! I am on my 12-year-olds Kindle Fire right now. I could say that I confiscated it, but the truth is, she prefers her iPod. She wanted a laptop for Christmas but I what is the point of that if she doesn't use her Kindle. She is on Facebook, and more than once, I have caught her posting inappropriate things. Maybe I don't catch everything, but she knows I'm not cluelesss.

And its funny about how a casual comment to a friend can inspire a face to face conversation.

My guess is lots; tragedies like this seem to bring out the vultures.

I just read an article about "trolls" who make nasty comments to online articles. I know I've read a few unkind comments relating to articles about the girls. I imagine the same is true for FB - someone will always have something negative to say. It's pathetic, IMO.

Here the "troll" article in case anyone is interested:

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/01/the_science_of_why_comment_tro.html

I just read an article about "trolls" who make nasty comments to online articles. I know I've read a few unkind comments relating to articles about the girls. I imagine the same is true for FB - someone will always have something negative to say. It's pathetic, IMO.

Here the "troll" article in case anyone is interested:

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/01/the_science_of_why_comment_tro.html

Trolls are rampant on YouTube. Thepittsburgh Zoo had a tragedy a few months back where a very small boy was mauled/killed by African Painted dogs. There were so many people who wrote that the little brat deserved it and things similar to that. I was horrified and it made me cry, wondering what the world was coming to.

Thanks button wasn't enough. As the parent of an eleven-year-old, I am torn between allowing her certain freedoms and protecting her from what I KNOW lurks out there.

She got a Kindle Fire for Christmas, but we disabled the WiFi so she cannot go online unless we bypass the block. She was complaining about it tonight and I looked at her and said "Really? You really want to go there? You are ELEVEN. You have a Kindle Fire. I, your mother, do not have a tablet of any kind. I, your mother, am in charge of making sure you are not harmed by people who live just to harm you. Therefore, you will be happy to have all the books and music you enjoy on a cool tablet device, with the occasionally approved internet access, and you will be joyful or I will appropriate said Kindle Fire as my own. Any questions?"

There were none. Score one for the meanest mom in the whole wide world. :great:

BBM

I don't know if you are really the meanest mom in the whole world - just read this:

http://mycountry955.com/meanest-mother-in-wyoming/

I must be a meanie too, because I insist on hand-written thank you notes too. :)so glad I m not the only one!

I do also, even though we rarely get them from anyone else. Still waiting for a thank you from my niece for her wedding gift back in August. I used to send her and her sisters money for their birthdays and never got one, so I don't know what I was expecting. But, she is a really sweet girl otherwise.

W

But if LE had access to the Zoosk account, they could have worked backwards to find the computers that had been used to access that account.

Here's a possibility. Maybe Misty had a smartphone that Lyric used to play Words with Friends on. You play a word, and the Zoosk ad pops up..... at least it does on mine. Maybe she crested an account for her mom that way.

Also, what recently was revealed about the Casey Anthony case?? They forgot to check the cookies used by another Internet browser?? And there were the incriminating cookies....

And IIRC, two fellow Websleuthers were instrumental in that discovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliver