IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leeches maybe, but there is not poison ivy all along the banks where the houses are. I think this is more referring to the areas off the trail as far as the poison ivy go.

And leech infested is a gross exaggeration IMO. There are very few still bodies of water that don't house leeches. But the term infested is not a term I would associate with the lake nor am I aware of any type of Iowa DNR report stating anything of the like. I could be wrong - please someone link to it, if there is one.

We fish lots of lakes. This "lake" really is more the size of a pond. It's not going to draw serious fisherman or swimmers. That is due to the depth and size of lake. It's a pan fish lake and more for "practice" and learning than anything.

Not a whole lot of people swim at lakes anymore without some sort of beach area...the weeds get thick if there aren't caretakers to keep the weeds raked out.

But it is a very well cared for area IMO. Dirty vs. clean lake is relative to whom you are speaking to. There are people that believe all lakes and rivers are dirty, leech infested, and dangerous to swim in. Others would tell you it's nonsense and people have been doing it for decades.

ETA: I believe the leech comment came from one of the family members who stated why the girls wouldn't swim there. They said something along the lines of "you don't go swimming there now, or you'll get leeches". For the record...every lake you can get leeches. They live in water.

Thanks. Yeah, leeches don't stop anybody in New England from swimming in them, either. Nor does poison ivy. But I know other areas of the country are different -- and I was taking the family comment at face value. But it looks like a place that would be quite attractive to a couple of young girls on a hot day, especially when one of them was apparently used to going to the other lake rather frequently.

Somebody help, I'm tech challenged tonight on my Kindle. Back a few pages in this thread, there was talk of a sex offender who lived on River Forest road until shortly after the girls disappeared. What was his name?? Because in the arrest log tonight in the Courier (paper not web), there was an arrest of H. Dogic for assaulting Brent F ..... I can't seem to search the sex offender registry on this. Cant get past the captcha thing...

One person you named. Arrested 1/6/2013 in Waterloo
http://mugshots.com/US-Counties/Iowa/Black-Hawk-County-IA/Hasan-Dogic.37634757/details/

He should be on this list in Waterloo. The Daily Arrest Logs.

http://www.waterloopolice.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=63

I believe the tank is up the trail...on the other side of where Elmer comes in....just off the trail and near the NW area of the lake. But we need a local to confirm. The object below the paddle boat looks like a sunken paddleboat to me .???? Maybe it's just the reflecton or perhaps a piece of sunken dock.

http://binged.it/13nrTnp

ok thanks - sorry my bad.

Or maybe the feds have him? Or they are just late updating? Or the arrest was in a different area? That mugshot site says Waterloo. Might just be his address.

North on Chicago, East on 25th and South on Cedar. Piece of cake. :) You could try to remember a couple tricks that in Minneapolis, avenues run north and south and streets run west and east. The numbered roads get larger heading out of downtown so 30th street is farther south than 28th street. The named roads on the west side of town are alphabetical advancing in the alphabet towards the west, so if you are traveling on a street and the names are advancing, like Aldrich and Bryant and Colfax, etc... you are going west. So, the intersection of 50th and France would be 50 blocks south of downtown and west of 35W. See, its not that hard. ;)

:whoosh:

:whiteflag:

Sitting here thinking how this thread and case has stalled. I hope LE have a very good suspect in mind and are working to piece it all together for a solid conviction. Lord, don't let this case go without a resolution.

I believe it has stalled out, both here and in the real world. Here we are talking about left, right, north, south, east, west, up and down. I wish I had more to contribute, but I am at a loss on how to move anything forward. I will yield to the honorable veterans of WS to help us out and guide us.

I don't think it's stalled out. I still have some hope there is justice to be brought forward for Lyric & Elizabeth and their families. Maybe it will take a little more time to narrow it down, build a case then bring justice for them all. I know that hasn't happened in many cases I've followed but I still feel there's hope. Now to work on that plan to get to that hope is my direction.

jmo

Maybe we could discuss commonalities of Lizzy and Lyric. So many theories stated about one girl or the other that the perp wanted. What if they/he wanted both and planned for both girls. What would be the reason? Any ideas?

I believe it depends on what DNA testing they are doing. Matching an unknown sample of body fluid to a known sample is the simplest and takes 48 hours to run.

Doing a test on an unknown sample to compare to the various databases takes longer because it requires more data from the unknown sample.

Doing a test on low count DNA ("touch" DNA) or on degraded samples takes the longest, up to 8 weeks. Just running a low count sample through the PCR process takes up weeks and weeks of time.

Just based on the circumstances, I would expect any DNA testing to take a long time. Any relevant sample has probably been out there since 13 July.

It also depends on what kind of match they're looking for -- if they have to run a full sequence for some reason, that takes a lot longer. Since it would be expected that DNA from family members would be present, they might have to do the full sequencing to distinguish among those family members. (I don't know whether that's likely but I know it was necessary in at least one local case that I followed.)

Also, there are other tests besides DNA that might be necessary, depending on what was found. They're almost certainly waiting for toxicology results from the autopsy (to see whether either girl was poisoned or drugged) -- the routine turnaround time for that is usually given as 6 to 8 weeks. They might need mass spectometry or other material identification of unidentified powders, etc. at the scene; just preparing the sample for testing can be quite time consuming. Even microscopic analysis takes a while. Isotope analysis, hair analysis, fiber analysis, and on and on, again depending on what was found.

And this isn't likely to be the only case the lab is working on. Plus lab workers get holidays, too.

I don't expect to hear anything for another month. And that doesn't mean the case is stalled.

Does anyone know how long it takes Black Hawk County to update their information online? Jail, court documents for Iowa, Waterloo Who's in Jail? sites? Thanks in advance. As you can tell, I've followed too many. Looking for cheats. ha! tia

Maybe we could discuss commonalities of Lizzy and Lyric. So many theories stated about one girl or the other that the perp wanted. What if they/he wanted both and planned for both girls. What would be the reason? Any ideas?

Child *advertiser censored* or trafficking. Taking two girls would most likely mean two perps...unless the perp is like Joseph Duncan. :( We don't have the ME results back on TOD to speculate if they had been kept or taken shortly after the abduction to Seven Bridges.

JMO

I don't think it's stalled out. I still have some hope there is justice to be brought forward for Lyric & Elizabeth and their families. Maybe it will take a little more time to narrow it down, build a case then bring justice for them all. I know that hasn't happened in many cases I've followed but I still feel there's hope. Now to work on that plan to get to that hope is my direction.

jmo

Nothing has been released to the public in weeks ...

Does anyone know how long it takes Black Hawk County to update their information online? Jail, court documents for Iowa, Waterloo Who's in Jail? sites? Thanks in advance. As you can tell, I've followed too many. Looking for cheats. ha! tia

I don't know about the state site, but it seems BHC's Who' In Jail site keeps pretty much up-to-date.

Some have asked where the tank is located, as well as the bathrooms at the park in relation to where the bikes were found. The tank is circled in blue, the restrooms in red and the (general) location of the bikes in pink.

Sorry I cropped out the bike trail to the west (left), but you get the general idea.

Attachments

• MeyersLake.JPG
    MeyersLake.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 50
Some have asked where the tank is located, as well as the bathrooms at the park in relation to where the bikes were found. The tank is circled in blue, the restrooms in red and the (general) location of the bikes in pink.

Sorry I cropped out the bike trail to the west (left), but you get the general idea.

Yep, same as Ottos map.

Child *advertiser censored* or trafficking. Taking two girls would most likely mean two perps...unless the perp is like Joseph Duncan. :( We don't have the ME results back on TOD to speculate if they had been kept or taken shortly after the abduction to Seven Bridges.

JMO

I am not sure the ME will be able to be specific about the TOD. The girls could have been taken for child *advertiser censored*/trafficking even if they were murdered immediately. If the perp got out of Evansdale looking behind his back because someone did see him or the timing of the abduction coincided with the family showing up to look for them he might killed them right off or kept them a couple of days until the search went nationwide. IMO

It was just my gut feeling that this isn't our guy. He could be our guy just as much as anyone else could be our guy. It wasn't just the 18+ victim that made me think this way. It was also that he only has one conviction and it was 13 years ago. I have no idea who did this and have gotten to the point where I suspect everyone and suspect no one. I don't even have opinions or theories anymore. If you feel real strongly that there is something fishy about this guy, you should call it in (maybe you already did; I don't remember) and not let my comments sway you. It can't hurt anything.

Your comments are welcome. I like reading and hearing opposite opinions just as much as similar. Would be pretty blah if we all had exactly the same opinion. (Although if we did it'd probably be a good thing... the answer). I don't really have many theories.. aside from this. And I like to read all the different opinions because even if they seem only remotely plausible, MAYBE there is something within that theory that could spark another idea and so on.

I know what you mean though...I was basically saying that I kind of set aside the question of "does this person seem like they might have done this before" (even though he was only convicted once and it wasnt a child.) I guess I look at it like this... okay this person has actually BEEN convicted of a sex crime.

I realize though that it is very possible that this is NOT the one. But, just because there is only one victim listed doesn't mean that there are no more. Many victims do not tell.* I believe that someone capable of sexual assult cannot be rehabilitated. Again this is just my opinion. But, even scarier to me, maybe it isn't a registered sex offender at all? Maybe the person/s responsible had never done this before. Or worse yet maybe it's someone who has & just never got caught... [I do admit I hate the thought of it being anyone else and it makes my opinion bias, but it is almost too frightening for me to imagine it any other way:( ]

I didn't call anything in... do you think it is ok to call or email (since I dont actually have a concrete "tip")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela