IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan, the drug addict, broke probation by using drugs? ... or does this relate to someone else? How does drug use by a drug addict relate to the abduction and murder of two girls?

I would think that the probation represents forced drug rehabilitation - if he is unable to pay whatever amount he is required to pay. Is he unable to pay some amount?

You obviously know I cannot answer that here. Just wait and watch. It will all become clear to you.

You obviously know I cannot answer that here. Just wait and watch. It will all become clear to you.

Misty had a similar problem a few months ago and ended up in trouble too. She was still in the halfway house (something like that) at the time of the memorials. That did not represent a break in the case and I very much doubt that Dan's relapse represents a break in the case. They both had serious drug problems before the murders, and I do not find it at all surprising that their drug addictions are more difficult to overcome now that their daughter has been murdered.

Misty had a similar problem a few months ago and ended up in trouble too. She was still in the halfway house (something like that) at the time of the memorials. That did not represent a break in the case and I very much doubt that Dan's relapse represents a break in the case. They both had serious drug problems before the murders, and I do not find it at all surprising that their drug addictions are more difficult to overcome now that their daughter has been murdered.

Being in a halfway house is very different from being arrested and held on a $350,000 bond. I agree with you that this situation has made it harder to overcome their addictions. But I disagree with you about why. We are going to have to agree to disagree here.

I am not at all surprised by this development. A drug addict turning to drugs in times of high stress is pretty much a given.

This has been my concern for Dan and Misty from day one.

I don't see this as a break in the case, but rather an almost inevitable conclusion to Dan's being out of jail and having his trial stuff delayed all this time.

Being in a halfway house is very different from being arrested and held on a $350,000 bond. I agree with you that this situation has made it harder to overcome their addictions. But I disagree with you about why. We are going to have to agree to disagree here.

I think that we would all welcome some sort of break in the case, but more drug problems for Misty and Dan doesn't mean anything to me. They admitted these problems the minute the children were abducted. Common sense says that drug addiction is a life long problem ... so hearing that this life long problem is still a problem ... it doesn't take me any closer to understanding what happened to the children.

I think the bond is reflective of all the many breaks Dan has gotten and now, once again, screwed up. I would not expect a low bail. He is already awaiting sentencing on other crimes. This alone, I would think, would be reflected in a high bail amount.

Something is odd though with his court record. On 1/25/2013, his hearings and trials were cancelled until further notice and now it says entered 2/12/2013 "Media Coordinator's Notice" & comments "For expanded coverage". Got me.

https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm

From what I'm seeing it now states:

2 22 13, 1PM FOR MODIFICATION N/C (entered as of 02/08/13)

and then as of today:
OF DEFN IN CUSTODY & REV OF BOND

:waitasec:

Maybe they had to get media approval for the article that is in the paper notifying he'd been arrested? I don't know...

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdale_search/stories/

Dan has been arrested for violating probation and drug use.

Ty for finding this link!

Since it would appear that DM is still using meth, I now suspect LE is trying to make sure he'll be able to show up sober for March 4th Trial Date... I suppose being in jail would insure that DM is able to understand charges against him, aid attorney in his own defense, etc.

and then as of today:

Maybe they had to get media approval for the article that is in the paper notifying he'd been arrested? I don't know...

There's so many, the one I posted is for controlled substance from 2011, I see the domestic one reading like what you posted above, there should be another one with the latest drug charge & manufacturing but I give up. lol

Might be allowing media in the court room too during trial.

Ty for finding this link!

Since it would appear that DM is still using meth, I now suspect LE is trying to make sure he'll be able to show up sober for March 4th Trial Date... I suppose being in jail would insure that DM is able to understand charges against him, aid attorney in his own defense, etc.

Today is the 4 year anniversary of the disappearance of Haleigh Cummings. Think about what happened in that case. LE knew that Misty was involved, but they didn't have evidence to prove it, so they watched and waited, waited and watched. They knew she wouldn't be able to stay away from the drugs. They gave her just enough rope to hang herself. And now she is serving a 25 year prison sentence for drugs. Sure, it isn't for what happened to Haleigh -- but she is off the streets and in prison for 25 years. That's good enough. It had to be -- it was all LE could manage.

I suspect this is much less about making sure he makes his trial date, and much more about making him try to talk. And if he doesn't talk -- LE will take "good enough" and put him away for life for drug charges.

(LE obviously thinks he did it. Does anyone remember this?: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/19/misty-daniel-morrissey-criminal-records-meth_n_1688083.html)

Something is odd though with his court record. On 1/25/2013, his hearings and trials were cancelled until further notice and now it says entered 2/12/2013 "Media Coordinator's Notice" & comments "For expanded coverage". Got me.

https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm

Ty for this link!

For some reason it won't open for me... Grrrh...

BBM - If I had to guess (and it's only a guess) I would say that 1/25/13 was to have been the Hearing Scheduled to Determine Trial Date for DM.

I have a note on my calendar saying that the said Hearing had been canceled due to the Trial Date [of March 4] having been set earlier in the week via tel. conference w/the court.

Today is the 4 year anniversary of the disappearance of Haleigh Cummings. Think about what happened in that case. LE knew that Misty was involved, but they didn't have evidence to prove it, so they watched and waited, waited and watched. They knew she wouldn't be able to stay away from the drugs. They gave her just enough rope to hang herself. And now she is serving a 25 year prison sentence for drugs. Sure, it isn't for what happened to Haleigh -- but she is off the streets and in prison for 25 years. That's good enough. It had to be -- it was all LE could manage.

I suspect this is much less about making sure he makes his trial date, and much more about making him try to talk. And if he doesn't talk -- LE will take "good enough" and put him away for life for drug charges.

(LE obviously thinks he did it. Does anyone remember this?: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/19/misty-daniel-morrissey-criminal-records-meth_n_1688083.html)

Wow, it almost feels that what was stated in that article has been completely forgotten.

Haleigh was last seen 2/9/09 when Misty put her in bed & reported to the LE as missing on 2/10/09 around 3:27am. Today is not her anniversary date. It's been too long.

and then as of today:

BBM - When MSM reported that Trial Date of March 4 had been set in Scott Co., there was also mention of a pre-trial conference [no date given] "which would probably take place in mid-Feb."

Perhaps said 2/22/13, 1 PM for Modification is the time scheduled for that pre-trial conference???

Could the said "N/C" stand for "No Court?" (In other words it might be scheduled to take place via Tel. conference???)

I'm not sure how much we can discuss about Dan, since he is still considered a victim. I've PM'ed a moderator for some guidance, since it is hard to ignore Dan's arrest and I'm sure a lot of us would like to discuss it without breaking the rules.

Haleigh was last seen 2/9/09 when Misty put her in bed & reported to the LE as missing on 2/10/09 around 3:27am. Today is not her anniversary date. It's been too long.

I blame Nancy Grace for this. LOL! Her facebook page says that today is the anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member