IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember that very thing being said. I suggest anyone interested about it start reading from thread one. ;) I know we discussed that at length.
:moo:

If FBI released a statement about dogs tracking anywhere other than the lake near the bikes, that statement will still be available and there must be a link.

I have a feeling that even though we don't see it, Tony Thompson's email, (and any other email people are being referred to) are being blown up with people who want answers and an arrest.

I think the people of Evansdale aren't sure WHAT to do at this point, because honestly...nothing is going to bring the girls back. :(

However, I will bet money that any adult who as much as SPEAK to a child they don't know in Evansdale are pretty much asking for a whoopin' if a parent catches wind of it.

I would like to believe that since Kent Smock is very close with the family he assures everyone in that church everything is being handled.

I am not sure what I would be doing if this happened in my immediate community...I pray I don't ever have to find out.

And yet the whole town doesn't seem to be in an uproar, which indicates IMO that they are okay with how the case is being handled.

I dont know how the town being in an uproar would help. If LE were blatantly mishandling the case, then yes, it would be warranted. If they don't have the right leads, they simply don't have the right leads. Until that one key piece is brought forward, what is there to do?? The case is still on everyones mind. We still hope and pray for answers.

I'm so sick of going over the same old stuff, as I'm sure everyone else is.

There has been contradictory information since Day One and I believe it is way past time LE gave us some clarity.
For example -

When was the last official sighting?
Do LE believe the girls were abducted from the lake, or somewhere else?
What is the reasoning behind stating they were still alive for weeks after their disappearance?

And most importantly for me - what does the autopsy tell us?

Until we get something more we are all just re-arguing the same stuff. No one is "right" or "wrong" because LE have given us so little we actually don't know what they're thinking. We are all just guessing.

Heck, some are passionately arguing the exact opposite theory they had only 2 months ago, with no obvious reason for their convictions to have changed. :confused:

This case is in danger of withering up and turning cold, and I sincerely hope it's not because Evansdale at large wants to turn a blind eye, and BHSCO is playing some "clever" tactic by denying the public information.

The pathetic turn out at the police public forum is not a good indication that public confidence in local LE is high, in my opinion. :(

BBM

Police have released a statement that the girls were seen between 12:30 and 1:00 on Elmer/Gilbert/Arbutus. Do we believe them? Police have said that the next sighting of the bikes was at 2:00 by a jogger. Do we believe them?

It's one thing to expect police to release a statement, but after they have released the statement, does anything change? Does it become clear that the cyclist could not have seen the children's bikes, or are the police statements doubted because they are inconsistent with someone that spoke to the media?

Police have said that they "need" to handle this investigation according to their investigative procedures and that they will not release information until they need to. Do we accept this, or do we put our curiosity above the needs of the police to proceed according to their investigative protocols?

BBM

Police have released a statement that the girls were seen between 12:30 and 1:00 on Elmer/Gilbert/Arbutus. Do we believe them? Police have said that the next sighting of the bikes was at 2:00 by a jogger. Do we believe them?

It's one thing to expect police to release a statement, but after they have released the statement, does anything change? Does it become clear that the cyclist could not have seen the children's bikes, or are the police statements doubted because they are inconsistent with someone that spoke to the media?

Police have said that they "need" to handle this investigation according to their investigative procedures and that they will not release information until they need to. Do we accept this, or do we put our curiosity above the needs of the police to proceed according to their investigative protocols?

I don't recall the Elmer/Gilbert/Arbutus sighting ever being confirmed. I believe they asked for people to come forward if they saw them there at that time, but did that happen?? I think they were trying to confirm Mr. Cs sighting.

Thank you for your insightful theory, Cinder! I have followed this thread (mostly lurking) from the beginning and have certainly respected all theories, ideas, and contributions from this passionate group. As a local, I have been wrestling with the perp's choice to leave the girls' bodies at 7 Bridges. I believe I've read other posters (in addition to Cinder) suggest that the perp was an avid hunter. I would very much be interested in hearing why people feel strongly about this. Anyone care to share their opinion?

I tend to lean the other way. Assuming the perp did not want the bodies to be found for some time, why 7 Bridges? It seems to me that the only locals who would consider 7 Bridges as remote would be Iowa's version of urbanites - the majority of whom might not fit the avid hunter type. I would feel comfortable with the grand generalization of most avid hunter types in Iowa as being folks who live in small towns or 'in the country', as we say. Furthermore, I would think most rural folk would view 7 Bridges - or any other public land for the matter - as far from remote or secluded.

Any thoughts?

Due to the rules of this site and my arse swollen from sitting in the naughty chair so many times, I cannot say why I feel so strongly that the perp is an avid hunter. But what I can say is, he had to of known the area of the dumping site well. He had to of known that it was not a well used picnic area anymore and that he would be safe to dump the bodies without being seen. I bet he hunted there often throughout his life in the area.

Due to the rules of this site and my arse swollen from sitting in the naughty chair so many times, I cannot say why I feel so strongly that the perp is an avid hunter. But what I can say is, he had to of known the area of the dumping site well. He had to of known that it was not a well used picnic area anymore and that he would be safe to dump the bodies without being seen. I bet he hunted there often throughout his life in the area.

Either an avid hunter or knew the area from his partying days.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

The FBI released an official statement regarding the information gathered through the use of scent dogs:

"In the Evansdale case, Breault [FBI] said the dogs had indicated the girls’ scent was in the area near Meyers Lake.

“The scent did lead to the water, which is also where their bikes were found,” she said."

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_e795f002-d1ad-11e1-b983-001a4bcf887a.html

I am not sure I can take that statement to mean the girls scent led to the water's edge as some seem to interpret it, because within the same sentence she states that is also where the girls bikes were found and I do not believe that to be the case. The girls bikes were found on the trail, not at the water's edge.

I wonder if the hunters noticed any tree stands in that general area?

The link below is for a pdf of the calendar for the 2012-2013 Hunting Season. Hunting season was closed after the abduction through Sept. 1 for all animals except coyote and groundhog. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think those two are only open year around because they are nuisance animals; people don't generally hunt coyote or groundhog for sport or meat but they need to be able to legally kill them if needed. I don't think that was just a lucky benefit that July was a no-hunt month (even considering the coyote/groundhog open season). As the pdf shows, other animals were open for hunting as early as Sept. 1 (dove, rabbit, and squirrel), Sept. 15 for youth/disabled deer hunters, and other animals opened at various times in Oct. and Nov. but actual adult/non-disabled, just regular ol' shotgun deer season didn't open until the week they were found (Dec. 1-5). The second link from the Des Moines Register says that the wildlife area is used by "hunters in the winter, fishers [sic] in the summer, and mushroom hunters in the spring" but the spokesman acknowledged that traffic was less that summer due to low water levels.

This is further encouragement for my belief that this person is a long-time local, born and raised in that area. They were obviously comfortable enough to use it as a dump site at the very least, and must have known there would be sparse traffic due to the drought and hunting schedule. I think he/she/they wanted the bodies found eventually (he needed someone to see his work, psychopath that he must be), but only after significant time had passed so as to degrade as much evidence as possible. Because if he/she/they had wanted them found immediately/sooner, they would have chosen a closer, more frequented location. If they hadn't wanted them found at all, they could have buried them on private property or disposed of the bodies in a myriad of different ways that would ensure they might never be found. I think this means this crime was well thought out and planned to the nth degree. All JMO, of course.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/huntingregs_card.pdf

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...06012/missing-Iowa-girls-search-seven-bridges

Groundbreaking on the Meyers Lake/Park makeover/project started today?

I talked to my brother this evening who lives near Cedar Falls and he said it has been snowing there since about 8 a.m. today.
Couldn't this wait till warmer weather? What is the hurry I wonder?

Interesting thoughts about the perp being a hunter ... add to that the Seven Bridges County Park used to be a popular recreation area with many youth activities. That ended when the bridge just east of the park collapsed due to flooding flooding.

Groundbreaking on the Meyers Lake/Park makeover/project started today?

I talked to my brother this evening who lives near Cedar Falls and he said it has been snowing there since about 8 a.m. today.
Couldn't this wait till warmer weather? What is the hurry I wonder?

It sounds very rushed ... is there a plan somewhere? Wouldn't a plan need to be drawn up before modifications are made to a public park, or has the park simply been handed over to the families ... Misty, Dan, Heather and Drew ... to modify in whatever way they decide?

I'm just going to step back & let this community heal and hopefully they will come back with information to help solve who did this to Elizabeth & Lyric. I certainly wouldn't become suspicious over the building of the Angel's Park.

Would I do differently, heck yeah!

They will become angry sooner or later. It's their time to grieve. Hopefully, someone will talk or remember something to make an arrest(s).

A month at best. I hope. Not the family but the community.

I wonder if they were able to get some dna of the perp off the bodies, and if they did I would expect an arrest if they were able to find a match in the data base. If no match, then this guy is a newby. Also with the brazen way he had abducted the girls makes me think he has done it before. I wonder if there are any cold cases from the area from way back.

Seeing the sheets laid out over their bodies in that one picture from 7 Bridges, I do question how the girls were found as far as condition. Body bags? etc...I saw no scatter or nothing in the news to lead me to think other than that was their bodies, untouched for months. Bothers me, but I'm sure there's other pictures to change my mind as to the process of the area.

I wonder if they were able to get some dna of the perp off the bodies, and if they did I would expect an arrest if they were able to find a match in the data base. If no match, then this guy is a newby. Also with the brazen way he had abducted the girls makes me think he has done it before. I wonder if there are any cold cases from the area from way back.

I'm convinced that the person that did this has some history of criminal activity ... but it could be that the crimes were committed in a nearby community, maybe there's a sealed youth record ... hard to say ... maybe it was an attempted abduction, animal mutilations ... there has to be something that happened prior to the abduction and murder of two girls. This happened in July so it could be someone that grew up in the area, that visited during the summer and that has committed crimes in some other part of the country that are not easily connected with this case.

If they were exposed to the elements for 5 months (and not wrapped or preserved in anyway), I can almost guarantee you that no foreign DNA could be found, unless it miraculously survived by being protected from the elements and scavengers/insect fauna somehow. DNA can be extracted from bone and teeth to identify a decedent but as for residual foreign DNA, I doubt it seriously. Rape kits aren't considered accurate or admissible after 96 hours at the absolute most, and any DNA on clothing would have (most likely) degraded in the sunlight and/or been washed off by rain. A stray hair would be useful for exclusionary purposes only (mitochondrial DNA isn't like regular DNA), unless there is a perfectly preserved root with tiny skin fragments. The only other hope for DNA is that maybe one of the girls put up enough of a fight to get some skin under her nails, and it has somehow managed to evade destruction. Not impossible, but not likely. JMO, and although it's an educated opinion, I cannot claim expert status based solely on my education and studies.

Not sure if this has been posted already or not.

UPDATE: Supervised release not reinstated for Dan Morrissey

WATERLOO, Iowa --- A judge did not reinstate the supervised release for Daniel Morrissey, but his bond was reduced.

For this particular case, Staudt set the bond at $75,000 cash assurity, down from $125,000.

The judge also ruled in favor of the state’s motion to include enhancements related to prior offenses. If Morrissey is convicted of the lesser-included charge of possession of a controlled substance for either count, as opposed to possession with intent to deliver, an enhancement trial would follow for being a third offender and habitual felon.

more at link

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_9d4cb31c-7fa1-11e2-9af9-001a4bcf887a.html

This is just on one of his charges as he had a $365,000 bond amount. Originally $350K but upped another $15K after it was first reported.

I am not even directing my ideas towards the family. I just find this interesting how the court works in IA.

I'm open to everyone's opionion/theory. I can't figure it out. I have my suspect(s) but nothing is moving so doubt they are the one(s). hmmm

Frustrating to say the least. Everyone is suspect to a point. I hope there's fiber of some kind to match. Oh please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett