IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if they have lots of evidence, as someone suggested on an earlier thread, but nothing clearly tying it to a particular perp. That would explain the silence of the police who might be afraid of spooking the killer to leave town if anything was made public. Perhaps the police are carefully looking at fibers, hair, weapons, etc hoping for clues while the killer is hiding in plain sight.

I am inclined to think this is a sexualy deviant psychopath who somehow lured the girls to the lake. I can't help but wonder if the earlier incident with Lyric staying at the park too long was a failed attempt. Was there an OFP against Dan on behalf of Lyric because she witnessed him assaulting her mom? if so, could the perp have mentioned he would bring Lyric to see Dan?

I also can't get the fact that DM suddenly dropped his plea deal right before the abbduction out of my mind though.

What if they have lots of evidence, as someone suggested on an earlier thread, but nothing clearly tying it to a particular perp. That would explain the silence of the police who might be afraid of spooking the killer to leave town if anything was made public. Perhaps the police are carefully looking at fibers, hair, weapons, etc hoping for clues while the killer is hiding in plain sight.

I am inclined to think this is a sexualy deviant psychopath who somehow lured the girls to the lake. I can't help but wonder if the earlier incident with Lyric staying at the park too long was a failed attempt. Was there an OFP against Dan on behalf of Lyric because she witnessed him assaulting her mom? if so, could the perp have mentioned he would bring Lyric to see Dan?

I also can't get the fact that DM suddenly dropped his plea deal right before the abbduction out of my mind though.

Great post! It reminds me of the circumstances of DM's decision to drop the plea deal. Something about him 'not being ready to go to jail' ?

Does anyone here know what that means?
TIA

I wonder if they were able to get some dna of the perp off the bodies, and if they did I would expect an arrest if they were able to find a match in the data base. If no match, then this guy is a newby. Also with the brazen way he had abducted the girls makes me think he has done it before. I wonder if there are any cold cases from the area from way back.

Here are some cold cases from the area: Valerie Lynn Klossowsky, (Bremer County) found 1971. Maureen Brubaker Farley, found 9/71 (she has a thread WS), Julia Ann Benning, found 11/75. Lisa Marie Peak found 9/76 (Readlyn).

Here are some cold cases from the area: Valerie Lynn Klossowsky, (Bremer County) found 1971. Maureen Brubaker Farley, found 9/71 (she has a thread WS), Julia Ann Benning, found 11/75. Lisa Marie Peak found 9/76 (Readlyn).

Valerie Lynn Klossowsky: age 14
Maureen Brubaker Farley: age 17
Julia Ann Benning: age 19
Lisa Marie Peak: age ?

I think that I would look at cases in the mid to late 1980s ... for some reason.

Maiden Lane was a party area until the highway was built ... need to double check the dates, but I think it was about 1983
Seven Bridges County Park was a popular recreation area with youth programs until about 1993 (flooding destroyed bridge, park abandoned ... need to double check date).

I think that I would look at cases in the mid to late 1980s ... for some reason.

Maiden Lane was a party area until the highway was built ... need to double check the dates, but I think it was about 1983
Seven Bridges County Park was a popular recreation area with youth programs until about 1993 (flooding destroyed bridge, park abandoned ... need to double check date).

Marie "Lisa" Peak age 20:
http://iowacoldcases.org/tag/lisa-peak/

Good points....I was just answering Cinder's post, and these girls were in the notes I had written down. But yes, checking cases from the 80's would be interesting. Oh, and Lisa was born in 56.

Wow, thanks for find this, I didn't expect it. 1971 to 1976? :what:

In the Valerie KLossowsky case- Investigators found themselves investigating two other strangulation homicides in Bremer county and wondered if these cases might be related.

It is so sad to see that the girls are on the Iowa cold cases website.

I think it's unlikely that the handful of people that we have heard about are the only ones who saw the girls that day. Surely there were sitings from people in cars as well. Most people would call LE or the tip line and never go to the media.

I think it's unlikely that the handful of people that we have heard about are the only ones who saw the girls that day. Surely there were sitings from people in cars as well. Most people would call LE or the tip line and never go to the media.

But how often do you make mental note of kids on bikes? I'm sure tons of people saw them that day. I just doubt that many people really recalled seeing them. Unless I know someone I see on the side of the road I don't necessarily remember it later. I'm skeptical that there were very many sightings called in.

OT

When the girls were found at 7 Bridges, I kept thinking that another missing person was found there. It has been bugging me because I could not remember the woman’s name. Anyway, finally I remembered and did a search and found this article.

http://wcfcourier.com/article_87ef9110-a06a-5139-baa4-5e64b90fea15.html

It wasn't at 7 Bridges Park, but was only 9 miles away from there.

Just thought I would share.

OT

When the girls were found at 7 Bridges, I kept thinking that another missing person was found there. It has been bugging me because I could not remember the woman’s name. Anyway, finally I remembered and did a search and found this article.

Yep I remember that well. I, too, had to look that up, because I knew it was north of Dinkerton somewhere.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

But how often do you make mental note of kids on bikes? I'm sure tons of people saw them that day. I just doubt that many people really recalled seeing them. Unless I know someone I see on the side of the road I don't necessarily remember it later. I'm skeptical that there were very many sightings called in.

Probably not often, but from the same day, I think chances are you'd remember. I heard they were missing around 5:00 pm. Had I been in the area that day, it probably would have registered. When I ride on the bike trail, I would remember if I passed two girls on bikes, a jogger, a person walking the dog..... not that I would remember faces and be able to give a description., but I could tell you if i saw two girls on bikes within 12 to 24 hours or so after.

OT

Ty Ayms... this made for interesting reading. Am so glad they caught him and are not going to let him out on bail. (After a suspect fleas the area after a killing... or in the case of this subj, fleas after body is discovered, I love it when the atty says "we consider him a flight risk..."

If I'm recalling the article correctly, I believe it said the victim's body was discovered in April which, IMO, would be interesting to note for our little girls' case:

"Authorities have not released Carson's cause of death. A final autopsy report still has not been completed, but State Medical Examiner Julia Goodin ruled the death a homicide."

Yea, I think it was 8 months or something before her body was found. If not for the flooding, it could have been longer before she was found.

Yea, I think it was 8 months or something before her body was found. If not for the flooding, it could have been longer before she was found.

Yes. I had been excited to see that the victim had been missing for (6) months when body discovered on April 25, 2001.

And that article dated 6/29/2001 said they had not finished with autopsy results, yet.

After I submitted the post, I realized the article had said they believed the victim might have been buried and that flooding had uncovered the body... sooo, unless our little girls' bodies were originally buried and later uncovered by wildlife (certainly not by flooding or heavy rains), then the article doesn't give me as much hope as I thought.

Again, however, it was very interesting reading! And, btw, kuddos to IA area LE !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV