IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if LE is feeling any pressure?

I would certainly hope so - for many of the investigators, this has to be the biggest case they will ever handle. Two young girls are abducted from a public place in broad daylight and their bodies are found by chance several months later - if that doesn't cause LE to feel pressured, I don't know what would. JMO

We know that has been suggested several times right here on this forum, so I can only imagine what the locals are saying.

I've just been onto Isa's thread which is also fallen into the black hole. The only voices we have heard on her disappearance have been her parents, sledging LE and absolving themselves. Some people will believe them, simply because they are the only voices to be heard. The Ramseys have used this tactic successfully for years.

No one minds if this sort of LE silence ends in a successful prosecution, but all too often in recent years it seems to result in an unsolved crime and nothing ever even being mentioned again. These are children we are talking about, the most innocent members of society, and they just seem to be forgotten. The community are expected to shut up and move on without any answers.

I can only imagine what the holiday season was like for some families and friends in Waterloo and Evansdale, each eyeing the other off and wondering secretly if Uncle Bob had an alibi for 13 July.
I just don't think its right.

I think LE have a responsibility to their communities and the victims that is not being met when the official line is resounding SILENCE.

It could also possibly be of benefit to remind the perp/s that they are still being hunted, to be on their guard, to never relax, we are on your trail and we WILL catch you.

Perhaps it will make a perp stop next time they decide to rape or abduct or murder a child in the middle of town. Maybe it could make them break down under the pressure and tell somebody what they did.

Maybe the benefit outweighs the "pointlessness" in unseen ways.

Certainly, it can do no harm. All I wish for is semi-regular pressers or press releases or posts on a website or something on crimestoppers. A few minutes of someone's time just to remind everyone that the crime is still in the "active" tray. It doesn't seem to be much to ask of an organisation that relies on public funding, it can do no harm, and it might even cause the case to break open.

:dunno:

BBM

I agree it can do no harm, and it would be a good idea to keep Lyric and Lizzie in the news.

As I suggested in a previous post, maybe we should all contact the media asking for more coverage on the girls. Perhaps they, in turn, would put pressure on LE to provide updated info. JMO

We could even do it at grassroots level. Do Black Hawk County Sherrifs have a facebook page?

Ah, the power of the internet...no one has any excuses for not "getting back to you on that" any more. :seeya:

I think there has been quite a bit of speculation that the killer has been arrested on other charges and just hasn't been arrested for the killings. So if that were the case, there would be no need to issue a warning. If that were the case the police could just say that they are actively pursing the perp and that they do not believe there is imminent danger to the community.

Jmo
Yes!.. good post :seeya:

I agree and I do think there comes a time when you have to release tidbits. I think that is precisely why Jessica Ridgeway's murder was solved so quickly.

OT, but just like here in my home state, a young college student Patricia Guardado was abducted from a parking lot near the university (across the street but not official school property). She parked sometime before her 9am class and was never seen again alive. No working cameras in the area, no one else was in the lot (although its always full of student cars and people can be seen walking to class all the time). Her body was found a week later floating in a pond about 10 miles from where her car was parked. There has never been any suspect named, nor has COD been released. As a matter of fact, LE wouldn't even tell her mother how she died and didn't think she should view the body. She was a young Hispanic girl, international business major. Left behind two young sisters. No boyfriend in the picture, was a good student, no drugs, all confirmed by her family and friends. She was a beautiful young girl, with a very promising future and she was gone just like that in the middle of the morning. Her car was parked neatly in a spot, the car was locked and her belongings (backpack/purse/cell) were never found. And LE never said another word about it after a few months. Her friends and family have vigils on campus and at her church but nothing from LE. However, there is a new scholarship in her name and now the school provides free trolleys to help with the parking situation. But still LE remains quiet. I used to park there all the time when I had classes on that side of campus but I got so freaked out that I just can't afford that stress every morning before class. I just feel like if they released something it might jog someone's memory... But now we don't know whether it was another student, a worker from one of the businesses, or just some random person. Sad.

That's awful, what a horrible, horrible crime.

That's the sort of crime you hope someone will blab about, one day. You hope the guilt gets too much.

Sadly, it often doesn't work out that way, especially with random, repeat type offenders.

BBM

Does anyone in the community really think LE is no longer running a viable and active investigation? Is it necessary for LE to hold pressers to say, hey guys, we'll still doing our job but we have nothing to tell you?

I just don't know what people are expecting LE to say at this point.

JMO

When the towers were hit, a news correspondent, Dan R., provided many Americans and people around the world with a sense of comfort with his thoughtful words. Many people were grateful to be able to listen to him on CNN.

If LE has nothing to report, the community understands, but LE should not forget the people of the community, the people whom LE relied on so heavily in the early days of this investigation.

Even if LE had a presser once a month and went over the details of what they do know to be factual, it could refresh the memory of someone that may have heard or seen something miles away that they thought was of no significance at the time, however, now it may be.

Just IMO

Checking in. Got some catching up to do.

Didn't you say you were single? Maybe it's time to visit Evansdale and join my Date-A-Cop program. ;) The date would be more of an interrogation so for our purposes we'd like you to record the conversation. :floorlaugh:

Love that idea!!

We could even do it at grassroots level. Do Black Hawk County Sherrifs have a facebook page?

Ah, the power of the internet...no one has any excuses for not "getting back to you on that" any more. :seeya:

Yes they do, and your post earlier really got me thinking. I am ok with not knowing everything if it will help with a conviction in the end. But now I understand the arguement for releasing more information. Even just a little bit, such as about sitings and times, etc. That could lead to people recalling more information. I think it was Otto who tried to beat this point home. My concern is thatas time goes on, people forget. Like recently I couldn't remember if i actually rode my bike past the gate on Saturday the 14th until I checked my app on nh phone. My memory was failing me.

So we know that LE has "hours" of surveillance tape, but they don't know what they're looking for. So how could we help?? If they would confirm some minor detail or two or three, maybe we could help with this puzzle.

And I, too, have not heard people talk about it much anymore. So yes, a small update might spur some talk and job some memories.

I just might post something on the BHSO facebook page......

Evelyn Miller's family & friends waited 7 years for an arrest with little updates in the news other than on the yearly anniversary of her death; I hope justice for the girls don't take that long. However, when we get an arrest, I think the silence & length of time will be well worth it. For the record, I didn't think Casey Fredricksen was the one who killed her. I always thought it was the 2 guys who visited in the middle of the night.
I do change my mind on a daily basis if LE knows more than they are letting us believe they do. Maybe silence really is golden in this case & they just want the perp to believe they have no clue as to what happened.

I agree! I always thought that it was one of those two guys. LE was just waiting patiently for him to hang himself. Sucks for the family though.

You're local and know there is a killer in your community. In all honesty, would it make you feel any safer if LE came out and said, "be careful, there's a killer in our midst"?

I'm not being snarky, I'm interested in what a local would like to hear from LE in order to feel better. If, as you say, everyone is suspect, what exactly could LE say to alleviate concern in your community?

Thanks.

Maybe an appeal to LE would be useful at this point, reminding them of their relationship to .... the public and the community ? (Please note* I did not use the word "responsibility".)
:banghead:

BBM

Does anyone in the community really think LE is no longer running a viable and active investigation? Is it necessary for LE to hold pressers to say, hey guys, we'll still doing our job but we have nothing to tell you?

I just don't know what people are expecting LE to say at this point.

JMO

Well... they might say: "HI FOLKS! We're still here. Oh... and on the matter of . . . . ". I mean really. Car advertisres do much better!

That person is walking around town feeling pretty damn cocky right about now, hiding in plain sight.

well . . . if that were true then I wish him, her, or it (or them), an open manhole cover and a end-of-life confession ?

Below is contact info for KWWL:

https://www.facebook.com/KWWL7

kwwlnews@kwwl.com (e-mail to newsroom)

KWWL Waterloo Newsroom
1-800-947-7746 or 319-291-1240

The following link provides all kinds of contact info for the WCFCourier. Maybe they should be contacted as well:

http://wcfcourier.com/app/contact-us/

If anyone feels there needs to be more info released about this case, maybe contacting the local news station and paper might accomplish something.

Also, there is a Citizen Advisory Counsel for Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office. Here is a link that describes what it does. I'm certain someone local could contact a member of this advisory counsel with their concerns over the lack of information provided by LE to the local community.

http://www.bhcso.org/UserFiles/docs/PDF_CAC_History.pdf

Instead of talking about our frustration here on WS, maybe we should be letting the local media know how we feel about it. JMO

EXCELLENT! :great::great::great::great::great::twocents:

Don't want to quote any particular thread, but I do think the leaders of the community 'owe' the community and do need to say something....it does not have to be wildly informative...just say something, be present, and take questions...

Leaders owe their constituents. Period.

Often, just being there to 'listen' helps. To allay fears (just knowing that someone is there and concerned or active), maybe spur some new thinking, maybe make whoever did this feel some extra 'heat'....?

I don't care what kind of situtation public, private, corporate, global...

Leaders need to be visible. Period.

Okay, so I'm gettting repetitive on the "Period."...but not even being local, the 'silence' from leadership in the community is 'deafening' and 'maddening'...

So, Chelsea, local, asked what to ask....I'd ask the dang Mayor, or Police Chief, or congressman, or senator...for an update....Period. :)

Don't want to quote any particular thread, but I do think the leaders of the community 'owe' the community and do need to say something....it does not have to be wildly informative...just say something, be present, and take questions...

Often, just being there to 'listen' helps. To allay fears (just knowing that someone is there and concerned or active), maybe spur some new thinking, maybe make whoever did this feel some extra 'heat'....?

Okay, so I'm gettting repetitive on the "Period."...but not even being local, the 'silence' from leadership in the community is 'deafening' and 'maddening'...

So, Chelsea, local, asked what to ask....I'd ask the dang Mayor, or Police Chief, or congressman, or senator...for an update....Period. :)

Same for these Eastern Iowa News & Media Moguls ... the masters of HAPPY NEWS and
"BUY A NEW CAR & TRUCK NOW!"

There were many "missing" poster put up before the girls were found, maybe now they should put posters that say, "who killed Elizabeth & Lyric", put them on every corner near stop lights, stop signs, etc so if the killer is still in the area it will be in his face. It would also be a constant reminder to LE.

Excellent post..First thing Monday I will call our mayor then post his answer. :seeya: I can't wait!

:bump:

I hate having to bump for our girls. I've emailed KWWL and the WCFCourier asking for a story on Lyric and Lizzie. If everyone else would do the same, maybe the media would put a little pressure on LE for updates. Who knows, it might work.

:bump:

I hate having to bump for our girls. I've emailed KWWL and the WCFCourier asking for a story on Lyric and Lizzie. If everyone else would do the same, maybe the media would put a little pressure on LE for updates. Who knows, it might work.

I did this 2 weeks ago on Facebook and they never replied me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member