IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lurk: Think about Elizabeth and Lyric every day. I'm so thankful for everyone that continues to post on their thread and keep those of us not local "in the loop." :blowkiss:

OT: I watched a documentary "Into the Abyss"
German director, screenwriter, producer and actor Werner Herzog's twenty-fifth documentary which he wrote and narrated, is an American production about capital punishment which lacks the presence of Werner Herzog's characteristic voice-over. It tells the story about Michael Perry, a 28-year-old inmate on death row with eight days left to live, and his accomplice Jason Burkett who got a life sentence due to his imprisoned father's testimony. These two young men were convicted of a pointless triple homicide which occurred in Conroe, Texas in 2001. Even though the evidence against them was solid, they claimed their innocence.

Though opposed to capital punishment Werner Herzog, who has gone into more than one abyss during his impressive career, does not question the matter of guilt in this illuminating and thorough documentary which is told through a wide variety of interviews with people who were involved in the case. Werner Herzog has a profound way of depicting individuals and their surroundings, and his fascination with unadaptable, eccentric, and ill-fated people is evident in this psychological study where he gets the most out of the people he interviews and emphasizes that everyone has lead a significant life and has unique stories to tell. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1972663/

At one point a former executioner is interviewed. He talked about how many executions he had performed and he talked about his final execution, Karla Faye Tucker. He said he expected it to be just "another execution", but when Karla Faye thanked him he said something changed inside him. He walked away from his job and he has never performed another execution. The documentary is definitely food for thought. It won't change any one's mind be they pro-death penalty or against it, but it definitely made me rethink my beliefs.

Again, thanks to everyone local, Chelsea, squeeze, etc. and everyone on Elizabeth and Lyric's thread. :tyou:

BBM
I don't know why some parents are more vocal than others. Maybe one day Lyric and Elizabeth's parents will be able to speak but I think you will find the statement you are looking for in the Somer Thompson case.

Diena Thompson, Somer's mother, was very vocal when she gave a threatening statement to whomever murdered her daughter.

Here is a link to one video when she spoke to the killer. I think there was another video from the night before but I couldn't find it right off.
http://www.examiner.com/article/som...pson-speaks-out-warns-daughter-s-killer-video

Here is a link to Somer's first thread.
FL-Somer Renee Thompson, 7, Orange Park - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

This video is exactly what I'm talking about! :great: Thank you for sending me this link.

It honestly surprises me there aren't more parents who speak out like this. I really think I can relate to Somer's mom's emotions much more than I can Lyric and Elizabeth's family's emotions (at least publically displayed emotions).

Surely I am not seeing the gamut of emotions as I only see them on TV for mere minutes, but there is just such a calmness, almost an aloof/serene tone to their voices. Lack of urgency I guess would be the best way I can describe how I felt listening to all of their interviews.
Well...except for Aunt Tammy...she was the only one who seemed to have a sense of dishevelment during those first few days.

Even AFTER these girls bodies were found...still, all I saw while watching the statements of Heather and Drew was a sense of peace. I haven't seen any videos of either Misty or Dan so I can't speak to their apparent emotional state following the girls discovery.

I can much more relate to Diena Thompson on the emotional level, than I can with Lyric and Elizabeth's families but again...each person handles trauma differently.

Thanks again for linking this for me!

Just like the Anthony mess?

My point, once again, is not to have LE share important investigative information.

I'm not quite sure where that keeps coming from and I'd like to put it to bed right now. No one is suggesting anything more than basic acknowledgement that the crime has not gone cold.

My point, everyone's point, is that a wall of silence is not the way to handle a concerned public, especially when LE appear to have made zero progress in the investigation in 7 months, despite having the bodies.

If LE need public help, they need to speak to the public. They need to show their faces, and ask, and keep asking. They need to reply to facebook posts and emails and phone calls.

We've heard reports all the way through of properties not being searched, locals not being questioned, possible evidence not being seized at the Lake and of course the famous "they're alive" statement from the FBI.

Then hunters found them and now we know they likely died on the day and it's "oops sorry" except without the "oops sorry" part.

Yes, on balance I think it's high time BHCS held a public meeting. It would have been nice had they listed the girls on the agenda, seeing they're having a meeting about local crime and all, but baby steps...

Have you voiced those concerns to the Evansdale mayor, city councillors, or anyone else that you think might be in a position to make a difference?

I would like to know how many LE are still assigned to the case, what agencies are still involved, how many tips they are receiving a week, etc.

I would like to know how many LE are still assigned to the case, what agencies are still involved, how many tips they are receiving a week, etc.

If I were the perp, and I had the answers to those questions, I would have a better understanding of whether investigators have a suspect. If I were the perp, I would be very happy if police would provide that information.

If I were the perp, and I had the answers to those questions, I would have a better understanding of whether investigators have a suspect. If I were the perp, I would be very happy if police would provide that information.

How? If LE says they have 10 LE assigned to the case, that the FBI is still involved, how does that help the perp? How does that tell him/her that they have a suspect or not?

LE has released that type of information in many cases so I guess they aren't too worried about it effecting the investigation.

How? If LE says they have 10 LE assigned to the case, that the FBI is still involved, how does that help the perp? How does that tell him/her that they have a suspect or not?

LE has released that type of information in many cases so I guess they aren't too worried about it effecting the investigation.

If there is a suspect, then I would assume that fewer investigators are required to pursue that one suspect, and that the FBI will have less involvement. If there is no suspect, then the FBI assistance is still required and more investigators are needed. If a new lead has been assigned to the case, that suggests that police are stumped and are hoping that "fresh eyes" may discover a new lead. It seems to me that any information about the progress of the investigation will assist the perp.

If there is a suspect, then I would assume that fewer investigators are required to pursue that one suspect, and that the FBI will have less involvement. If there is no suspect, then the FBI assistance is still required and more investigators are needed. If a new lead has been assigned to the case, that suggests that police are stumped and are hoping that "fresh eyes" may discover a new lead. It seems to me that any information about the progress of the investigation will assist the perp.

It seems to me that there would be a much bigger correlation between how old the investigation is, and how many officers are assigned to the case. I don't expect any case---even ones where they have no suspects---to have many LE still working on it at the one-year mark. I still don't see how this information would assist the perp. It might make him feel more confident that he got away with it, but that could also work to his disadvantage.

Also, I would take a guess that 98% of cases never have more than 3-4 LE assigned to the case, no matter how many suspects they are.

The fewer # of investigators assigned and actively working this case SHOULD be a direct correlation to how close they are to an arrest. If they are getting further and further from any significant progress in a case the # of people working it should INCREASE, not decrease.

Thier ideology of dropping people off the case makes no sense to me. I know there is funding, proof, and tons of other external factors, but it still doesn't make me happy. :furious:

It seems to me that there would be a much bigger correlation between how old the investigation is, and how many officers are assigned to the case. I don't expect any case---even ones where they have no suspects---to have many LE still working on it at the one-year mark. I still don't see how this information would assist the perp. It might make him feel more confident that he got away with it, but that could also work to his disadvantage.

I haven't considered how a police statement and update on the progress of the investigation may be perceived by the perp in five and a half months, on the first anniversary of the disappearance. Usually, on the anniversary of an unsolved crime, there is a news article summarizing the facts of the crime. I'm only considering how an update on the progress of the investigation may assist the perp today.

From KCCI news today. The Linn county sheriffs office recieved a complaint of an attempted child abduction Tuesday afternoon. Two girls ages 10-12 say an older man and woman tried to lure them to their vehicle.

From KCCI news today. The Linn county sheriffs office recieved a complaint of an attempted child abduction Tuesday afternoon. Two girls ages 10-12 say an older man and woman tried to lure them to their vehicle.

Well there goes my "more happen in the summer" theory. :banghead:

Let me guess...NO relevant info to catch who did it.

Well there goes my "more happen in the summer" theory. :banghead:

Let me guess...NO relevant info to catch who did it.

Dark blue sedan with rust on the side. What gets me is why in the hell do they wait till the next day to let the public know???

I saw the worst thing today while shopping at Walmart. A woman and her daughter who was maybe 10, was checking out in front of me and what caught my attention is the mother was clearly on drugs, tweaking like heck. Even the checkout lady noticed it. Then I saw the mother and her daughter again at the goodwill and the mother got in trouble for trying to steal a pair of jeans. They let her go when she said she would pay for them, but man I felt so sorry for her daughter. Some people don't deserve to have kids.

What's everyone's opinion on this?

Just curious as it seems kind of premature to me especially since there has been no COD released and do we even know that the girls were at the lake for sure?? :waitasec:

If someone in local govt is suggesting it, it's probably because their constituents have asked them to.

I think it's a nice gesture but kind of creepy. That pathway will be considered "haunted" now it's renamed after the girls, especially by kids. It will possibly stop families from going there at least short term because it's just too uncomfortable and people go to parks to feel good, not bad.

I think I would've preferred to see an Angel fountain in the Lake or a lovely statue with a plaque (heck, a park bench somewhere even) but these things are expensive. Renaming the trail costs virtually nothing.

:cow:

Have you voiced those concerns to the Evansdale mayor, city councillors, or anyone else that you think might be in a position to make a difference?

I think they would listen more to a person that actually has an Evansdale address.:please:

I haven't considered how a police statement and update on the progress of the investigation may be perceived by the perp in five and a half months, on the first anniversary of the disappearance. Usually, on the anniversary of an unsolved crime, there is a news article summarizing the facts of the crime. I'm only considering how an update on the progress of the investigation may assist the perp today.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal_mind/profiling/s_k_myths/6.html

Taken from page:

Outside of dumb luck, the number one way serial killers are caught is through the help of the public. The Columbus Ohio Shooter who stood on bridges and shot at cars was arrested after a tipster called the police with suspicions that Charles McCoy, Jr. might be the guilty party. Getting out information to the public is the best way for police to identify suspects. After all, the police investigators can hardly know everyone in town but everyone in town is known by someone. If that someone gets enough information to send up red flags about the behavior of a friend, relative, or neighbor, then the suspect may be hand delivered straight to the police, saving them a whole lot of time and saving the lives of innocent people

I think they would listen more to a person that actually has an Evansdale address.:please:

Or even a US postcode :D

You can't win.

It's either "don't tell us how to run things you don't live here" and now it's "so what have you done to change it"?

Seems like having all the responsibilities but none of the rights. :waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member