IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good idea! Maybe the police that show up would be more likely to talk.

I'm confident that any of the Evansdale police officers would be happy to give a presentation on public safety. That's part of their job description.

I doubt that any of officers would be willing to discuss this case with anyone at a public safety meeting because they know perfectly well that anything said will be instantly broadcast all over the internet ... and straight out to the perp(s).

Seeing two recent high profile cases where parks were renamed in memory of children abducted at the parks may be the new trend. I'm okay with it. Memorial benches are common, memorial trees and gardens are fairly common, so taking it one step further and renaming parks in memory of children last seen at the parks seems like a natural progression ... a fitting tribute. It may make a difference in terms of reminding children to be more conscientious of their safety at parks.

Why should it be a child's job to be more conscientious of their safety? That should be the parents' job. Children shouldn't have to worry about being abducted and murdered, and shouldn't have to be reminded of another child being abducted and murdered near the park every time they go there. "A little kid was kidnapped right where you are standing so make sure that you don't get abducted!"

I can only imagine the urban legends that will sprout up as the years go by about the park's namesake; "She was actually killed in the park. Her body was found right here. etc". These parks will have quite the creepy/haunted reputation among the youth in a few years.

Why should it be a child's job to be more conscientious of their safety? That should be the parents' job. Children shouldn't have to worry about being abducted and murdered, and shouldn't have to be reminded of another child being abducted and murdered near the park every time they go there. "A little kid was kidnapped right where you are standing so make sure that you don't get abducted!"

I can only imagine the urban legends that will sprout up as the years go by about the park's namesake; "She was actually killed in the park. Her body was found right here. etc". These parks will have quite the creepy/haunted reputation among the youth in a few years.

Jessica Ridgeway's community apparently feels different about this topic. "The City of Westminster Parks & Recreation and the Westminster Legacy Foundation have raised $300,000 of the $450,000 needed for the remodel costs of Jessica Ridgeway Memorial Park." (link). I have yet to see any criticism of the Westminster community for establishing programs, camps, a memorial park and a memorial garden in memory of a child that lost her life in a very similar way to that of Lyric and Elizabeth.

This case should not be treated any differently than that of Jessica Ridgeway when it comes to a memorial park ... and yes ... children, when learning how the park got it's name, will also have a lesson in how to stay safe. That goes without saying.

I'm actually somewhat taken aback to read that some people believe that naming a bench, park, garden, or program in memory of a child means that the bench, park, garden, or program will be perceived as haunted and creepy. That's probably the farthest thing from the minds of the people that are working hard and donating money to ensure that the Jessica Ridgeway Memorial Park is a success. I suppose some people perceive cemeteries as haunted and creepy while many perceive them as memorials to their loved ones.

TY Ayms for this update.

Time after time this community shows just how deeply they care... and that IMO is always a beautiful/positive thing. I very simply wish they had not decided to make any long-term changes while they're being led by wounded hearts and raw emotions.

Nobody, of course, asked me what I think would make an
appropriate/positive memorial to the memory of these poor little girls. Had they asked, I would have suggested that they fund a scholarship in their names.

copied/pasted from subj article:
<snipped>
"It's a place of sadness. We want to turn that around and make it a place of beauty and a place of warm feelings where we're taking something that is sad and negative and turn it into something positive," said Dona Frickson, president of the Evansdale Chamber of Commerce.

On Monday the Evansdale Park and Recreation Board voted to give the name Angels Park to the park and trail at the lake. The two cousins were last seen there July 13. <snipped>

"Hopefully if we can raise enough money we will have statues made of the girls," Frickson said. <snipped>

I'm confident that any of the Evansdale police officers would be happy to give a presentation on public safety. That's part of their job description.

I doubt that any of officers would be willing to discuss this case with anyone at a public safety meeting because they know perfectly well that anything said will be instantly broadcast all over the internet ... and straight out to the perp(s).

Then it's better to ask questions at a Public Reassurance Meeting with more public attendance. Only allowing questions concerning general safety issues that this case has brought to the attention of the public.

I don't like the statue idea....

Is it just me, or does it seem like there is more public interest going into the planning of erecting statues, cupcake bake sales, and placement of benches than there is in the interest in trying to catch the killer (s) of these girls? :waitasec:

Jessica Ridgeway's community apparently feels different about this topic. "The City of Westminster Parks & Recreation and the Westminster Legacy Foundation have raised $300,000 of the $450,000 needed for the remodel costs of Jessica Ridgeway Memorial Park." (link). I have yet to see any criticism of the Westminster community for establishing programs, camps, a memorial park and a memorial garden in memory of a child that lost her life in a very similar way to that of Lyric and Elizabeth.

This case should not be treated any differently than that of Jessica Ridgeway when it comes to a memorial park ... and yes ... children, when learning how the park got it's name, will also have a lesson in how to stay safe. That goes without saying.

I'm actually somewhat taken aback to read that some people believe that naming a bench, park, garden, or program in memory of a child means that the bench, park, garden, or program will be perceived as haunted and creepy. That's probably the farthest thing from the minds of the people that are working hard and donating money to ensure that the Jessica Ridgeway Memorial Park is a success. I suppose some people perceive cemeteries as haunted and creepy while many perceive them as memorials to their loved ones.

Of the $353k raised for the park, $200k is Westminster taxdollars, 100k is from the Jefferson County Commission (more tax-dollars...and even from people who don't live in Westminster), 50k from a Garden Show, and 10k from a bank. The bank even asked people to donate their bonuses. Really...in this economy...let me give away my bonus to fix up a park. The amount raised by people actually donating their money is very low. That tells me that the entire city of Westminster is not behind this park and its renovations, because considering that it's an upper middle class community of 100k people, you would think they would be able to raise more than a few thousand. $300k thrown at a park...and the trial for AS hasn't even happened yet. :waitasec::waitasec::waitasec:

Of course it will be perceived as creepy...by children. They go to to a park, and hear about a little girl who was abducted there and murdered years ago. How do you think they are going to react? Heck, when I was a kid, we made up ~legends~ about the woods nearby, and there was nothing to back up what we were saying.

Of the $353k raised for the park, $200k is Westminster taxdollars, 100k is from the Jefferson County Commission (more tax-dollars...and even from people who don't live in Westminster), 50k from a Garden Show, and 10k from a bank. The bank even asked people to donate their bonuses. Really...in this economy...let me give away my bonus to fix up a park. The amount raised by people actually donating their money is very low. That tells me that the entire city of Westminster is not behind this park and its renovations, because considering that it's an upper middle class community of 100k people, you would think they would be able to raise more than a few thousand. $300k thrown at a park...and the trial for AS hasn't even happened yet. :waitasec::waitasec::waitasec:

Of course it will be perceived as creepy...by children. They go to to a park, and hear about a little girl who was abducted there and murdered years ago. How do you think they are going to react? Heck, when I was a kid, we made up ~legends~ about the woods nearby, and there was nothing to back up what we were saying.

Memorials to people who died at a certain place are common:
Kent State University and Homestead (PA) Steel Strike come immediately to mind. Ever go along highways and see crosses with flowers?

Memorials to people who died at a certain place are common:
Kent State University and Homestead (PA) Steel Strike come immediately to mind. Ever go along highways and see crosses with flowers?

There's a big difference between a makeshift memorial with some flowers and a cross on the highway...and naming a park after a victim and spending $300k+ in taxpayer money to completely renovate it. Why do some people get some little memorial kept up by their family/friends that gets destroyed by the weather every few weeks or so...and other people get an entire park renovation?

Is it just me, or does it seem like there is more public interest going into the planning of erecting statues, cupcake bake sales, and placement of benches than there is in the interest in trying to catch the killer (s) of these girls? :waitasec:

My thoughts exactly... :banghead:

What jumps to mind for me about the BBM portion is that parents can't be with their children 24/7/365 and the parents job is not to simply keep the child safe. Actually a parent's job is to keep their child safe by teaching their child how to do so as well. That way as the child moves through the world, sometimes without a parent by their side, they can also be a part of keeping themselves safe. As parents are protecting their children as best they can from the dangers of the world, a huge part of that IMO is teaching the child herself to be alert, aware of possible dangers and safety techniques to call upon at times when the parent is NOT right there with them. So in that regard, I disagree. Children absolutely should be charged with being responsible for keeping themselves safe, when a parent is not there to do so.

In regards to the naming of a park for the girls, I do see your point. I am not sure of my feelings on that. I get why the community wants to do it, they want to somehow permanently commemorate the girls and the effect the loss of them has had on this community.

I also see your point that it will probably spawn legends and ghost stories among children of a certain age range down the road.

Georger I have answers from locals. I' m on my cellphone so spelling may be off. Q. What is local mood? A. Sad. Q. Is this present situation what locals expect? A. What else would we expect from police..Evansdale police don't do anything except write speeding tickets, they're real good at that. Q. Is there something locals wish could be done or should be done under present situation under present circumstances? A. Yes. Instead of getting people hungry for cupcakes they should make
people hungry
to catch the killer. (This answer is from an Evansdale business owner .)
FOXBLUFF..Not able to answer your question yet. :cow:

Georger I have answers from locals. I' m on my cellphone so spelling may be off. Q. What is local mood? A. Sad. Q. Is this present situation what locals expect? A. What else would we expect from police..Evansdale police don't do anything except write speeding tickets, they're real good at that. Q. Is there something locals wish could be done or should be done under present situation under present circumstances? A. Yes. Instead of getting people hungry for cupcakes they should make
people hungry
to catch the killer. (This answer is from an Evansdale business owner .)
FOXBLUFF..Not able to answer your question yet. :cow:

Where is this coming from?
p.s. Thank God for at least one sensible person in Evansdale

If the girls were seen cycling near the park at 12:30-ish and the cyclist was leaving the park along the same roads at 12:30-ish, it's surprising that he saw two bikes at the SE tip of the lake at about 12:20 or 12:27 but that he did not see the children ... just bad luck, I suppose.

Another one of those things that makes me wonder whether the girls were ever at the lake.

There's a big difference between a makeshift memorial with some flowers and a cross on the highway...and naming a park after a victim and spending $300k+ in taxpayer money to completely renovate it. Why do some people get some little memorial kept up by their family/friends that gets destroyed by the weather every few weeks or so...and other people get an entire park renovation?

A good memorial to the girls would be to find the person or persons
responsible.

:jail:

If the girls were seen cycling near the park at 12:30-ish and the cyclist was leaving the park along the same roads at 12:30-ish, it's surprising that he saw two bikes at the SE tip of the lake at about 12:20 or 12:27 but that he did not see the children ... just bad luck, I suppose.

Evansdale bike trails and cyclist's route.

evansdalebiketrails.jpg

--------------

Another one of those things that makes me wonder whether the girls were ever at the lake.

I (or someone else) may have asked this before but is there anyplace out of sight where the girls could have been voluntarily that couldn't be seen from the trail? Like, is there a big climbing tree or a steep embankment or a tunnel on playground equipment or somewhere off of the trail where the girls could have been hiding/playing/talking to someone else that would have been out of view of someone riding by the bikes? I've looked at the pictures I can find on here but I can't seem to find a ground level view of the entire area around where the bikes were found. Is it possible they had laid the bikes down (or however they were placed) and were just out of sight of the cyclist? If this has been asked and answered I'm sorry. Just let me know and I'll go back and read more carefully.

TY Ayms for this update.

Time after time this community shows just how deeply they care... and that IMO is always a beautiful/positive thing. I very simply wish they had not decided to make any long-term changes while they're being led by wounded hearts and raw emotions.

Nobody, of course, asked me what I think would make an
appropriate/positive memorial to the memory of these poor little girls. Had they asked, I would have suggested that they fund a scholarship in their names.

copied/pasted from subj article:
<snipped>
"It's a place of sadness. We want to turn that around and make it a place of beauty and a place of warm feelings where we're taking something that is sad and negative and turn it into something positive," said Dona Frickson, president of the Evansdale Chamber of Commerce.

On Monday the Evansdale Park and Recreation Board voted to give the name Angels Park to the park and trail at the lake. The two cousins were last seen there July 13. <snipped>

"Hopefully if we can raise enough money we will have statues made of the girls," Frickson said. <snipped>

Interesting! BBM I didn't know the girls were last seen at the park or lake on July 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV