IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"At this point, because they're being harassed so badly, they've been advised by an attorney to stop doing any polygraph tests, to not talk to the media anymore... they've been advised to not talk to the police," Brousseau said.

"They have accused (Dan Morrissey.) They said they have evidence. Well we all know if that was the truth they'd already have Dan locked up."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120719/NEWS/120719019/1001/news/?odyssey=nav|head

I must say, LE is using interrogation techniques and strategies here and I totally get it, but even so, were it me facing those sorts of techniques and strategies about my missing child - I would be hiring an attorney pronto as well.

Think what you will, say what you must about cooperating with authorities, understanding that it is part of the investigative process, etc etc. If someone accuses me of killing the child I have asked them to help me find and further tries to tell me they have evidence of same when I know damn well I have not done what they are accusing me of - I would be a fool NOT to seek legal advice. Period.

I agree.

From that article:

Federal Bureau of Investigation agents last night again interrogated Dan Morrissey about his involvement in the girls' disappearance, Brousseau said. Agents started beating at the door of a hotel room the family had checked out in an attempt to get some rest, she said.

That would push me right over the edge.

I've said it many times before: I would never take a polygraph. In my opinion, they are woo-woo science and unreliable. So Dan Morrissey has already done a lot more than I would ever do were I in his shoes.

Additionally, the instant LE ever accused me of anything, I'd demand a lawyer and shut up. Particularly if I knew I was innocent. I've followed way too many cases where someone who was innocent believed that if they just kept on talking to LE, it would all be okay because that person knew themself to be innocent. Only to discover, nope, doesn't always work that way.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...IUu9sw?docId=bef8f243028f4bef8cfd3a5a8bd13ff2

bbm:

it is Aunt Tammy telling the reporters this stuff... The police are saying differently

I think right now it would be a good idea for the family to perhaps get a spokesperson that is neutral to the situation.

I personally don't think the attorney bit means anything but these reports with Tammy saying things are not going to help in the long run imhoo

same page over here nursebeeme. I think Tammy is well meaning in her rush to defend the Morriseys but she is not a media expert, she is not savy IMO about how quickly the backlash will come regarding what she is saying in the press, both to her and to the Morriseys.

I competely agree, time to get one spokesperson out front, preferably someone not related or involved but a nuetral party with the restraint to work together with the family to draft statements for the press and not go off all half cocked without forethought.

The less you say to police, the better off you are. They may be caught making inconsistent statements or may have failed some part of their polygraph tests. Or the police, could just really be focused on the parents due to their criminal histories and they are playing the statistics.
If you want the police to help you and work with you to find your children, you answer ANY and ALL questions asked. You take however many poly's they want you to. Whatever it takes to get your child back!

Why would you want to hinder an investigation? This is your child you are talking about. Answer questions about your friends...all of them. Answer questions about your drug use....all of them. Answer questions about your family...any and all of them too.

I would put it all out there so the LE can sort it all out. I don't care if I end up in a bit of trouble for something unrelated to my kid's disappearance. I'm one who believes if you play, you pay. I don't care who gets "in trouble" for whatever information comes out. I don't cover for anyone. Especially if a child is missing.

Of course, they would first have to wait until I could actually speak because I'm afraid I would be so looped on Xanax so that I didn't "feel" the loss of my child that I don't think I'd make any sense.

IMO, JMO, MOO

Wait. Is Lyric's mom seriously griping about her touch screen not working after the police took it?

For real?

These people have said way, way too much to the media. Like, I think they honestly believed that if they stayed quiet, people would suspect them, so they started running off at the mouth to HLN thinking it would make them, on the surface, look like they were cooperating.

They are not in the lake.

If they were, only one would be missing.

The statistical likliehood of two girls, both of whom could swim, one of whom was quite strong, getting trapped and drowning in a lake at the same time, silently and unseen, is just not credible. At their ages there would've been yelling, struggling, splashing, screaming.

I am glad they are draining it but believe they may well be looking for evidence, not bodies.
Not saying that the girls are in the lake, but it does happen. Just last month in WI...

Found Deceased WI - Emma Maurer (16) & Sydnie Kwiatkowski (16) - Pleasant Springs - 7-Jun-2012 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I was thinking too nursie, that with Dan having ongoing legal/criminal issues that have yet to be tried, any attorney advising him regarding that matter would almost invariably prefer Dan not be taking polys about this matter.

Wednesday family members said officials interrogated Dan Morrissey the day before and accused him of killing the girls.

Up to this point law enforcement officials have said the family had cooperated with the investigation "100 percent."

Read More: http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/up...128-11e1-af57-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz2164Bo07B

If the investigation has turned to focus too intently (IMO) on the family I might be tempted to hire an attorney at this point too - to advise me on how to navigate these waters.

BBM
Which is ODD considering that LE has stated they do not believe foul play is involved in the girls' disappearance. Hmmmm.

If you want the police to help you and work with you to find your children, you answer ANY and ALL questions asked. You take however many poly's they want you to. Whatever it takes to get your child back!

Why would you want to hinder an investigation? This is your child you are talking about. Answer questions about your friends...all of them. Answer questions about your drug use....all of them. Answer questions about your family...any and all of them too.

I would put it all out there so the LE can sort it all out. I don't care if I end up in a bit of trouble for something unrelated to my kid's disappearance. I'm one who believes if you play, you pay. I don't care who gets "in trouble" for whatever information comes out. I don't cover for anyone. Especially if a child is missing.

Of course, they would first have to wait until I could actually speak because I'm afraid I would be so looped on Xanax so that I didn't "feel" the loss of my child that I don't think I'd make any sense.

IMO, JMO, MOO

Because if you know for a fact that you had NOTHING to do with your child's disappearance, repeatedly questioning you over and over about the same thing and repeated polygraphs are wasting very precious time.
I'd be livid after being questioned over and over and given my honest answers but they continued the same line of question instead of helping me find my child. There comes a point where it's enough. I don't give a damn if you think I killed my kid. I know I didn't, so lets effin find them.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/328855/3/Search-for-missing-Iowa-girls-causes-tensions-to-rise
The grandmother said Lyric tried to run away a few days before their disappearance because her father was angry that she didn't do her chores. I don't understand that because I also thought she was not with her dad because of his drug activity???

I worked for child protective services before I had kids. It was pretty common that we'd make a case plan with one parent instead of taking the kids on the condition that they stayed away from their abusive/addicted spouse. Then we'd have to go out and take the kids because, sure enough, mom and dad would get back together.

I wonder if this is one of those situations where, in fact, Misty and Dan are together, but keeping it a secret because of the restraining order and possible child custody/guardianship issues.

Again, TOTALLY my own opinion.

Would six feet of water really be a problem? I could see if they were going down 50'... So if one flies to a vacation spot, they should not use the hotel pool for 24 hours after arriving or before departing?

I don't think it's possible to get the bends without some sort of breathing gear while swimming. Pearl divers go deep enough for a scuba diver to get the bends (if the scuba diver were to ascend too fast) without getting the bends.

There's something wrong with that last sentence and I can't figure out how to fix it... I think I'm overdue for my nap.

Wait. Is Lyric's mom seriously griping about her touch screen not working after the police took it?

For real?

These people have said way, way too much to the media. Like, I think they honestly believed that if they stayed quiet, people would suspect them, so they started running off at the mouth to HLN thinking it would make them, on the surface, look like they were cooperating.

OK...going way out on a limb here, but MAYBE she's concerned that the phone won't work in case someone did try to call her? If she truly believes these girls were abducted, and could potentially receive a call on their whereabouts (maybe even from Lyric) - and the phone's screen was not working to the point of not being able to answer a call- maybe that is why she's upset?

They are not in the lake.

If they were, only one would be missing.

The statistical likliehood of two girls, both of whom could swim, one of whom was quite strong, getting trapped and drowning in a lake at the same time, silently and unseen, is just not credible. At their ages there would've been yelling, struggling, splashing, screaming.

I am glad they are draining it but believe they may well be looking for evidence, not bodies.
When my sister and I almost drowned together in a lake, it was totally silent. She didn't make a peep as she just tipped over into the water. I looked around and didn't say anything either, just hopped in to get my sister. We both knew how to swim. It was the unexpected circumstance of her going into the water that made her panic.

I can remember trying to look up and seeing her thrashing around and I could see the top of the water and the sun shine up above...way out of my reach.

With that said, I don't think they're in the lake either.

Just because you have a Lawyer..... Doesn't mean you stop COMPLETELY with Law Enforcement....

You can still talk with them and take Ploys as long as your Lawyer is present

I would have to disagree. Respectfully. Hiring a lawyer is not hindering an investigation. Refusing to take a poly is not hindering an investigation. Polygraph testing is not reliable. And it leads the police in the wrong direction if you should fail. MCM was interrogated for 11 hours almost immediately. She was probably exhausted. After it became clear i was. Ring interrogated as opposed to questioned, you stop talking a d hire an attorney :)

Because if you know for a fact that you had NOTHING to do with your child's disappearance, repeatedly questioning you over and over about the same thing and repeated polygraphs are wasting very precious time.
I'd be livid after being questioned over and over and given my honest answers but they continued the same line of question instead of helping me find my child. There comes a point where it's enough. I don't give a damn if you think I killed my kid. I know I didn't, so lets effin find them.

That absolutely makes sense, but there's something to be said for LE's instinct. Like I said, I've been in that situation, and they questioned me and then moved on because it was apparent that I hadn't done anything wrong.

I think it's pretty rare that they focus this much attention on someone with nothing to hide. I'm sure it happens, but not very often, if I had to guess.

When my sister and I almost drowned together in a lake, it was totally silent. She didn't make a peep as she just tipped over into the water. I looked around and didn't say anything either, just hopped in to get my sister. We both knew how to swim. It was the unexpected circumstance of her going into the water that made her panic.

I can remember trying to look up and seeing her thrashing around and I could see the top of the water and the sun shine up above...way out of my reach.

With that said, I don't think they're in the lake either.

This is a great article on how kids who are drowning can't yell out or wave. It's an article called "Drowning doesn't look like drowning". If you have kids, you should TOTALLY read it:

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

I believe these were entirely different circumstances.

This lake is in the middle of town, and surrounded by housing and other people. Where the older girls drowned was much more remote with noone likely in earshot.

Very young children (under 6) will sink like stones, silently, but older children, especially those who can swim, will struggle. With those struggles will come noise.

No one heard or saw anything, even though there were quite a few people nearby.

Oh my, I don't know what to think today honestly. No new thoughts are coming to mind at all. It is a great idea to get one spokesperson (neutral) for the family.

Investigators may just have good reason to be doing some hard questioning of family right now and we would never know because no information has been shared.

There is enough local PD, County PD, and FBI in the small town to have almost sucked that small lake dry by themselves. Nah, they have pointed the media towards the lake but that hasn't been their only focus for sure.

The lawyer is also a good idea too. Media is now covering and there is national attention so they don't need to be out in front of the cameras every day.

Hoping the two girls are found and also hoping that there is a real update in a few more minutes as to the direction the investigation is taking.

Just simply befuddled on this end.

BUT...

If I were in that situation, and innocent, I would let the police waterboard me, and I would say 'bring it on'.

I would die from the exhaustion of searching for my children before complaining that they damaged my cell phone (as Misty did).

I would give them my computers and cell phones in a pile on the front lawn and say here, take them all, I have nothing to hide.

I need to go search for my child, now help me find him or get the _____ out of the way. I would warn the police too, that if someone harmed my child, they had better find the guy before I do, because he would shortly get to determine what happens in the afterlife.

I agree. We have to remember that often times in TV interviews, the shows are edited, cut, etc. So often a conversation can be manufactured to mean something entirely out of context. As for the damaged phone, these people are not wealthy, her child knows the phone number and I am sure she jumps everytime it rings. Just like the Patz's keep the same house and phone number for years in case Etan called, the mom who may not be articulate herself well, may have made that comment as it is a "life line" to her child. I would be upset, too, especially if I couldn't plop down $500 for a new phone. Imagine the terror or fear of missing the "call" coming in from her child.

Well, I can't take almost an hour to watch this video that you post to me, do you have some bullet points that you can share instead?

It's always been my opinion that I would always cooperate and answer any and all questions any LE has for me no matter the situation.

(The original point of my post was that I didn't think they HIRED an attorney. I think that some attorney is giving them random free advice. My second sentence "If you have nothing to hide, why should anyone stop talking or taking poly's?" was my own personal thought. I guess I should have said IMO, JMO, MOO as every time I don't someone jumps all over me.)

Hi! Here are some bullet points...

Professor James Duane is a former criminal defense attorney and 5th amendment expert. The video clip is a lecture he gave to a group of law students, which instructs citizens to never talk to police under any circumstances. Also in the video is Officer George Bruch of the Virginia Beach Police Department and he says ... the professor is absolutely right. :what:

The key points are…
1) police have the ability to lie to criminal suspects during questioning
2) police may have substantial evidence against even innocent witnesses and the innocent person who talks to the police might end up inadvertently making himself a suspect.
3) it's also possible a person might confess to engaging in activity that they didn't even know was a crime

Also, here is a link to a blog with a nice overview and transcripts if anyone is interested: http://www.tuccille.com/blog/2008/07/eight-reasons-even-innocent-shouldnt.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela