IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that usually the only witnesses we hear about are those who are willing to talk to the media.

If there were other sightings of the girls, LE may well have asked those witnesses to stay quiet, so as not to give the perp more information.

So maybe there are no other witnesses but maybe there are witnesses. No way to know at this point.

This reminds me of the Somer Thompson case. Once the case was solved there was so much info the LE knew that wasn't released to the public (eye witnesses that put her beyond the home being renovated, etc). Probably quite a few witnesses that have been advised to remain silent.

YES. I remember. She said something like: [ in answer to a question from Judge P. about the possibility that a drug connection exists in this case..]

TB: "This is a small community. it is not like we are in Orlando or anything..."

Perhaps TB needs to check her facts. Maybe she feels there is a huge difference between her record and that of a drug lord???

If you look at the statistics illegal drugs and the crime associated with them are growing at a much faster rate in rural areas and small towns. These communities are facing a lot of challenges: meth orphans bc parents are in jail, the risk their emergency workers face each time they are exposed to meth labs, medical costs, cleanup costs, jail over crowding, an increase in drug related crime and a generation of children with learning disabilities and health problems due to meth exposure.

((((((((hug)))))))))) Shefner - bless your heart. I feel you my friend - I feel you.

I'm thinking that Maiden Lane was put in by a developer who planned at some point to build a few houses along there. Maybe still does.

There's a couple places on Bing maps near me that indicate streets that don't exist. In the ones I've noticed, they are all on property bought by a developer who is getting prepared to build at some point. So they zone in a road when they subdivide the property for the county assessor's office.

Do you have problems with poison ivy in the area? In Iowa City, it's a scourge. Even people living adjacent to the downtown area get it because birds spread it.

My thinking is that if you do have problems with poison ivy, then the local doctors, urgent care clinics and hospitals should be on the lookout for someone with a case (these days, it's usually treated with steroids to stop the horrible itching that increases the risk of skin infections).

If you don't have problems with poison ivy, then Maiden Lane sounds like exactly the sort of place teens would know about to do things they can't do at home. Asking the local teens for information may be useful.

I actually think it might be just the opposite. I love researching the growth of towns I live in, especially in Iowa, to find out things like, "why would Evansdale be? why is it named Evansdale? etc." It seems to me that there was always a lake in that spot. My realtor lives down the street from me, on the lake. He's several yrs older than I, his son several yrs younger. They both have discussed with me remembering when all these houses in my area where cornfields. I know they are exaggerating somewhat, but still, it shows that the area has grown incredibly in the last 30-50 yrs. From what I think I know, when Hwy 20 was made into a 4-lane here, and the giant cloverleaf nearby was built for the interchange with Hwy 218, Meyers Lake was dug bigger as a borrow pond. I'm pretty sure Lafayette was the old Hwy 20.

My point is that I think Maiden Lane was probably an old road that led right up to the lake, but since they've developed houses around the lake and put in that pump-house, the road has just been abandoned. I'll have to go check out some of the old maps...seems I remember seeing an aerial shot of the area from back in the 30's.

Also, I was worried about poison ivy when my kids and I were back there, as we all had shorts on and my kids had flip-flops, but I didn't see any, have had no effects.

I really hate to say this but Misty was always smiling and now every pic or video she is crying. Maybe it has finally set in that the kids are missing idk. But i remember Victoria Stafford's mother was strong and didn't show emotion until after her daughter was found. MOO.I find it hard to have an opinion about Misty's actions even though they are hard to ignore. The fact is until LE charge someone, this can be a stranger abduction but i do believe someone of who know the family.

I really have watched a lot of her videos, and I see what ppl are calling "smiling" more as a wince or squint. Also, in talking to ppl who know her well, they don't see anything odd about it - I guess its just the way she looks. I've only seen one shot of her crying, and that was when she seemed to almost be hiding behind Drew.

My take is that this is a woman who knows what "rock bottom" feels like. Feelings of desperation and hopelessness are not unfamiliar, sadly. She's just good at masking pain or emotion. And perhaps, at last, public opinion is getting to her, so she is making an effort to show emotion. Or maybe she is just worn down, and her facade is cracking. I agree, it is hard to ignore, but also I can't judge it because I've never walked in her shoes.

I also gotta admit, I'm very similar. People always tell me I'm always in a good mood, always smiling, always happy. Of course, my wife and kids know that's not true, and they know that I'm simply not comfortable airing my emotions in public.

On another note, I'm sure those two Sleuthers are already in my neighborhood. I hope they don't get too zealous checking out that empty home, and get hassled by neighbors/locals. I remember getting the stink-eye from a few when I was walking over there. But I also hope they scour those woods.

It is sad that the family in almost all missing kids cases have to get looked at. Its best for them to just do what police ask of them and hope that police move on and fast because its already been 2 weeks.

This is another picture of the location of that green paddle boat. Is this close to the dock they removed?

072012w2.jpg

green paddle boat.JPG

Interesting...it made me jump, because I posted some threads back that maybe they are in protective custody with the powers that be on a sort of "vacation" at Disney World. MOO

I honestly doubt this because I do not believe the US Treasury has enough money to pay a judgment in favour of the family for deliberately withholding their children from them without due process.

I don't think there could possibly be a defence for such cruelty.

I wonder if the pump house door has been opened and checked inside for the girls - what if a worker left the door opened, unlocked, or ajar - the girls go there open the door, both go in, door closes and they are trapped inside.

Surely the dogs would have picked up their scent by now and there would be a very foul odor coming forth .

This is another picture of the location of that green paddle boat. Is this close to the dock they removed?

072012w2.jpg

View attachment 25117

Wonder if it was part of the search in the waters or if the boat just disappeared that made LE suspicious and want the owner to come forward? Did LE say the colour of the paddle boat? Also wouldn't the dogs have gone to the boat if they were ever in it?

Bless you Shefner for sharing that painful part of your life. I applaud your honesty. So many folks try to hide behind the image of a "perfect family" when the truth is most every family has stuff, and it's best to own it rather than deny it. Owning it doesn't mean taking responsibility. Just acknowledging that it is a part of our family allows us to deal with it in a much more upfront and healthy way. You have my empathy, my prayers and my admiration. May your children find their way to a safer, healthier and happier place that gives you peace. Hugs to you my friend.

I honestly doubt this because I do not believe the US Treasury has enough money to pay a judgment in favour of the family for deliberately withholding their children from them without due process.

I don't think there could possibly be a defence for such cruelty.

Can they not enter endangered kids into a temporary witness protection plan with the consent of their parents, if they thought there might be drug-related connections threatening them? If so, the parents or those in the loop would be forbidden to acknowledge that. Of course, it is highly unlikely given the emotions of DC especially. MOO

Hello everyone. I have been reading along for a few days now and I finally decided to join the conversation. I have been obsessing over this case and don't even fully understand why myself. I have never followed an abduction case in the past, but on this one, it is all I think about. Perhaps it is because I have a 10 year old daughter and it is only one state away. Regardless of the reason, I want to participate in some form or another.

I noticed that there have been some comments about where streets intersect and that there are differences in the imagery between Goolge and Bing, so my first contribution will be a link to a very interesting tool available from the Black Hawk tax assessor. Use the zoom tools to get to the area of the city you want and then use the "i" tool to get information on who owns each parcel. This is public record so I hope it is ok to post the link. http://www2.co.black-hawk.ia.us/website/bhmap/viewer.htm

In the video still shot I posted, the green paddle boat was in the water at their dock. In the picture with LE - the lake has been drained so the water level is low and the boat is no longer in the water. I doubt it would have been used in the search on the lake.

Yes, they removed a dock piece by piece but I think it was closer to the park/parking lot area - next to the boat launch, not sure. I bet Olli knows.

072012w2.jpg

View attachment 25117

It appears to be taken from the dock that was removed, or from the boat ramp next to it. Either way, the photographer is at the parking area, looking ESE along the lakeshore. And yes, yesterday that paddleboat was up in the yard (or one very, very similar). I presume the homeowners and LE had a good look at it and pulled it up away from the lake.

Bless you Shefner for sharing that painful part of your life. I applaud your honesty. So many folks try to hide behind the image of a "perfect family" when the truth is most every family has stuff, and it's best to own it rather than deny it. Owning it doesn't mean taking responsibility. Just acknowledging that it is a part of our family allows us to deal with it in a much more upfront and healthy way. You have my empathy, my prayers and my admiration. May your children find their way to a safer, healthier and happier place that gives you peace. Hugs to you my friend.

Ditto

Hello everyone. I have been reading along for a few days now and I finally decided to join the conversation. I have been obsessing over this case and don't even fully understand why myself. I have never followed an abduction case in the past, but on this one, it is all I think about. Perhaps it is because I have a 10 year old daughter and it is only one state away. Regardless of the reason, I want to participate in some form or another.

I noticed that there have been some comments about where streets intersect and that there are differences in the imagery between Goolge and Bing, so my first contribution will be a link to a very interesting tool available from the Black Hawk tax assessor. Use the zoom tools to get to the area of the city you want and then use the "i" tool to get information on who owns each parcel. This is public record so I hope it is ok to post the link. http://www2.co.black-hawk.ia.us/website/bhmap/viewer.htm

Glad you are here!!

:welcome4:

Can they not enter endangered kids into a temporary witness protection plan with the consent of their parents, if they thought there might be drug-related connections threatening them? If so, the parents or those in the loop would be forbidden to acknowledge that. Of course, it is highly unlikely given the emotions of DC especially. MOO

If the family knew that, then why would D and HC, WC, etc, look like death warmed over?

If they are faking it, they deserve Oscars. They have me completely fooled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop