IA - Jetseta Gage, 10, abducted & murdered, Cedar Rapids, 24 March 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DesMoinesRegister.com

Child-sex offenders who murder their victims would face the death penalty if convicted in federal courts, under legislation introduced Thursday by Republican Sen. Charles Grassley of Iowa.

Grassley named the legislation the "Jetseta Gage Prevention and Deterrence of Crimes Against Children Act of 2005," in memory of a 10-year-old Cedar Rapids girl who was raped and murdered in March...

"Jetseta's Bill" would establish tougher mandatory minimum sentences for violent crimes against children. If the crime results in the death of a child, the death penalty could be sought...

KCRG.com | KCRG TV9 Your 24 Hour News and Weather Source

Sex Offender Q & A:

Note that most sex offenders are not on the Registry. Of the sex offenders who are arrested and convicted, it is estimated that these individuals commit acts of sexual abuse an average of 13 years before they are caught. It is important to note that the majority of sex offenders are never caught. Additionally, sexually aggressive offenses are sometimes plea-bargained down to an offense that does not meet the criteria for inclusion on the Iowa Sex Offender Registry...

DesMoinesRegister.com

The Iowa Department of Human Services has sealed the report on whether child abuse contributed to the death of a 10-year-old Cedar Rapids girl last month...

The report can be kept confidential until the completion of a criminal case to avoid jeopardizing the prosecution or hurting the rights of the defendant, among other reasons...

The report, which determines whether child abuse led to Jetseta's death, will eventually be public, White said. In the meantime, "DHS has taken whatever action is appropriate to protect the other children," he said. Jetseta Gage has younger siblings...

press-citizen.com | Local News

...in the handful of DHS assessments following child deaths, none have been made public until after trial. "Each time prosecutors have asked it not to be released prior to trial because it could jeopardize their ability to get a conviction..."

The DHS started its assessment about one week after Jetseta's death to determine if any child abuse occurred. Munns has said based on what the assessment finds, criminal charges could result, but he declined to discuss the focus of the investigation...

DesMoinesRegister.com

The Iowa Department of Human Services has sealed the report on whether child abuse contributed to the death of a 10-year-old Cedar Rapids girl last month...

The report can be kept confidential until the completion of a criminal case to avoid jeopardizing the prosecution or hurting the rights of the defendant, among other reasons...

The report, which determines whether child abuse led to Jetseta's death, will eventually be public, White said. In the meantime, "DHS has taken whatever action is appropriate to protect the other children," he said. Jetseta Gage has younger siblings...

press-citizen.com | Local News

...in the handful of DHS assessments following child deaths, none have been made public until after trial. "Each time prosecutors have asked it not to be released prior to trial because it could jeopardize their ability to get a conviction..."

The DHS started its assessment about one week after Jetseta's death to determine if any child abuse occurred. Munns has said based on what the assessment finds, criminal charges could result, but he declined to discuss the focus of the investigation...

JerseyGirl said:
KCRG.com | KCRG TV9 Your 24 Hour News and Weather Source

Sex Offender Q & A:

Note that most sex offenders are not on the Registry. Of the sex offenders who are arrested and convicted, it is estimated that these individuals commit acts of sexual abuse an average of 13 years before they are caught. It is important to note that the majority of sex offenders are never caught. Additionally, sexually aggressive offenses are sometimes plea-bargained down to an offense that does not meet the criteria for inclusion on the Iowa Sex Offender Registry...
I can't even stand to think about it. I had a niece who was raped when she was fourteen by a neighbor. They refused to prosecute because he was already going to go to jail for drugs. I can't tell you how this affected my niece; feeling that no one outside the family cared. They didn't tell my sister's family until after they had arrested him on the drug charges; they probably knew my brother-in-law would have killed the man! If it weren't for the fact that his family needs him, I would say too bad he didn't! :furious:

Sheromom said:
I can't even stand to think about it. I had a niece who was raped when she was fourteen by a neighbor. They refused to prosecute because he was already going to go to jail for drugs. I can't tell you how this affected my niece; feeling that no one outside the family cared.
It almost makes you wonder if the people in charge try to sweep as many of these under the rug as possible so as not to be pressured into doing something about it. So many politicians sit on the fence and double-talk the issues. It's hard to do that with an issue like child molestation.

I'm so sorry for your niece. Was this a long time ago? Has she managed to begin some sort of healing?

DesMoinesRegister.com

A three-judge panel of the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday upheld an Iowa law prohibiting sex offenders from living within 2,000 feet of child care centers or schools - a law that severely limits offenders' options for housing.

The Iowa Civil Liberties Union has pledged to seek a review of the decision by the full appeals court.

ICLU officials, who filed the lawsuit challenging the 2002 law, argue that the restriction is unconstitutional, unenforceable and would create colonies of sex offenders in parts of Iowa...http://www.altavista.com/news/results?q=jetseta+gage&nc=0&nr=0&nd=2&sort=date

I wonder how it can be tolerated as well. I guess if I were into politics, that would be my primary running point.

My niece sure had a hard time for a long time; even started taking drugs. But she came out of it strong in the end and is happily married with two little boys and a daughter. :)

Sheromom said:
My niece sure had a hard time for a long time; even started taking drugs. But she came out of it strong in the end and is happily married with two little boys and a daughter. :)
That's wonderful to hear that she finally found normalcy. What a tragedy that so many young people have to try to come to grips with these horrible events that have happened to them.

I agree; this would be my focus as a politician as well.

The Hawk Eye Newspaper

State senators from southeast Iowa say a tougher sex offender bill that's now heading to the state House of Representatives will protect children from predators.

After the Senate deferred debate on the bill several times during the last week, lawmakers reached an agreement and passed a bill unanimously Tuesday that doubles prison terms and would send repeat offenders to jail for life without parole...

Error after error after error. If this alert had gotten out sooner, the tipster might have been able to provide the tip in time for police to save Jetseta from her murderer. I didn't think that this story could be any more tragic. :(

DesMoinesRegister.com

Iowa legislators want to know why nearly 2-1/2 hours passed between Jetseta Gage's kidnapping from her Cedar Rapids home and when authorities issued a statewide alert - and why glitches further slowed posting the alert on highway signs, an official Web site, and lottery ticket terminals.

"If there was a delay in putting out that alert and it could've made a difference in the little girl's life, then we ought to know that," Sen. Thomas Courtney said Tuesday...

Jetseta, 10, was last seen at 8:15 p.m. March 24...

Cedar Rapids police called the Iowa State Patrol seeking the alert at 10:40 p.m...

Authorities notified transportation officials about 11:30 p.m...

The message appeared at www.iowaamberalert.org at 12:41 a.m...

The alert popped up on the digital lottery displays at retailers across the state at 4:30 a.m...

Around 7 a.m., an anonymous Iowan saw TV reports and phoned 911 with the tip...

Lahontan Valley News and Fallon Eagle Standard - News

Police in Churchill County (Nevada) are checking up on registered sex offenders to ensure they are complying with the law...

Churchill County Sheriff Richard Ingram said Friday deputies personally checked up on all 39 registered sex offenders who live in the unincorporated part of the county.

"Part of the reason that motivated me to have our deputies do the checking was recent horrific national events," said Ingram. "This is certainly not going to provide 100 percent protection, but the object was for the sheriff's office to have an updated account of our sex offenders..."

DesMoinesRegister.com

Whether Iowa should end its 40-year ban on capital punishment will likely play a role - perhaps a central one - in determining who seizes political control of the Legislature and governorship next year...

A poll last month showed two-thirds of Iowans back reinstating the death penalty. But national statistics show that, despite support for the death penalty, few people base their ballot-box decisions on the issue.

In a state as politically divided as Iowa, it only takes a few to tip the balance...

mysteriew said:
You would have thought that Mom would have thought to check out sex offenders, after she had run into the first one.

I can't believe that Mom didn't consider the possibility of retaliation after the brother was convicted!!

I think that the brother is still awaiting trial. I don't remember when it begins ... I believe it was supposed to be June(?) but his lawyers were trying to block video testimony of Jetseta because the defense wouldn't be able to cross-examine her. I find that nauseating. The original molester's attorneys are trying to use Jetseta's death as a way to dismiss charges against their client. :sick:

GazetteOnline - Bentley trial tentatively set for June 27

... During the hearing, Judge Patrick Grady ordered prosecutor J. Patrick White to provide defense attorneys with evidence that a forcible felony occurred during the commission of the alleged murder. Under Iowa law, prosecutors must prove a forcible felony occurred during the murder in order to support the first-degree murder charge, which carries a life sentence without parole...

Bentley has not waived his right to a speedy trial, meaning that a trial must be held within 90 days of the filing of criminal charges, which occurred April 6.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoohoo27
Back