Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my years following true crime, there seems to be two ways LE handles the release of information in terms of handing POI:

- LE has a pretty good idea who the suspect is, and release a substantial amount of information about the case in order to turn up the heat on the suspect, and make those who know the suspect suspicious of him (and turn him in).

OR

- LE has a pretty good idea who the suspect is, and releases nearly zero information in hopes that the suspect lets their guard down and slips up.

It would certainly appear that LE in this case is relying on the latter method.

A little off topic but I do feel bad for the mom. I think it is strange that Mollie was the dad's "best man" at his wedding to his new wife. Not that this is relevant to the case, but that had to drive somewhat of a wedge between Mollie and her mom. I know that would hurt me as a mom and I'm not even a mom!
Why would that hurt the mom? I would hope she would want a good relationship between her kids and their dad

In contrast to the previous PC, today Winker seemed rushed and impatient. He spoke fast and with high energy, totally presenting a different demeanor. They are serious and I feel the stress in that town!
jmo
Yes, I agree. I also think this is a strong man. He's the spokesperson out front, but I think he's the voice of the entire time. They are being discreet and want to keep it that way.
There have been no leaks with this case. Rumors, yes, but not leaks. The leadership is strong and I think the team members all are dedicated to the same course of action.

Unlike others here, I'm impressed.

And I hope Mollie if found before Tuesday's press conference.

jmo

Sadly, I think you're right. You can see it in their faces. Winker looks much less polished than on Tuesday.

I agree, I thought he looked rather shaken. Whatever they do know has him rattled, also he was determined to control his non verbal communication regarding POI, he was ready to deflect every question. I think there is a good reason why they are having press conferences and it has to do with what they think happened to Mollie and the POI. If there's even a slight chance she's being held alive somewhere, they absolutely cannot say a word about the investigation without putting her life in immediate danger. MOO

What is the purpose of a press conference when no information can be shared? To just reinforce to the the public that they are working the case?

My thought is to keep Mollie's information front and center in the news.

Also, to remind people to call in a tip - even if they think it is "insignificant".

ETA:
My questions were answered in another post

Last edited:
Question: was a red shirt found: “I don’t have that information with me, I would have to go back and look...”

Really....

Right and he doesn't know if divers were there or not...at least say "I can't comment on that", bc I feel as though he is lying...he would know these things, correct?

I had a bad feeling from the press conference. The father seemed deflated; not his usual self. It might just be the wear and tear of the situation as it drags on, but my gut feeling is the shirt they found is Mollie's and the family knows that. The mom didn't even speak.

I have a daughter half Mollie's age and this case is really getting to me.

If I was a father and my daughter was missing and everyday in my daily brief I got anything like the PC. I would hire a private investigator. I understand protecting info but this tactic does more harm than good. Maybe a PI is something the family should consider. I can’t imsgine what he is going through...when he was at the podium he looked back like he had to compose himself before saying something he shouldn’t out of frustration or anger. The family sees what we see yet LE tells them nothing. Something is very off about all this. I honestly feel like she left on her own at this point. Only logical conclusion I can draw.

<modsnipped - dreams are not allowed here>

I think LE is either a) being taunted by a perp or b) investigating someone close to Mollie. If they didn't have something, I think the FBI would have gone home by this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like they'd be better off releasing a weekly press release. These press conferences are pointless if they're not going to release information or answer questions.

They should have no farther press conferences, unless they have something to report. I don't think this looks good. If I was the kidnapper, I would be resting easy right now.

Wait...three brothers? About 1/2 way down the page:

"Tibbetts is pictured above on the left with her grandmother Judy Calderwood and her three brothers. Her family are pleading with the public to come forward with information."

Incorrect, or did I miss this?

Red shirt tied to missing Iowa college student, 20, found near previously searched pig farm | Daily Mail Online
Two brothers + BF. Daily Mail is a british tabloid type publication that is not the most reliable source of information. It can be interesting to read but be careful about believing much they publish IMO (somewhat similar to the National Enquirer or Star Magazine here - its almost a cross of the NY Post with National Enquirer - we don't have anything really like it here is US as a point of comparison to explain it to you).

I can't believe they haven't even officially released what she was last seen wearing, that's some basic information you get in missing persons cases. To not even get THAT is just bizarre.
They have released that. It's the black shorts, pink running top and sneakers of unknown color.

I agree, I thought he looked rather shaken. Whatever they do know has him rattled, also he was determined to control his non verbal communication regarding POI, he was ready to deflect every question. I think there is a good reason why they are having press conferences and it has to do with what they think happened to Mollie and the POI. If there's even a slight chance she's being held alive somewhere, they absolutely cannot say a word about the investigation without putting her life in immediate danger. MOO
I agree.

I totally get that LE needs to keep quiet. But if they are not careful, the press will quit going to these pressers and move on to another story. Sadly, the public will follow. Maybe LE feels like they just want everyone to leave them alone, so they can just do their job. I can understand that too.

In this era of constant leaks and instant info about absolutely everything, you gotta be impressed with a team of 30-40 local people not breathing a word about developments.

I actually think this is great. The example of integrity is refreshing. Painstaking (!) and refreshing at the same time.

I remain hopeful this case will be solved.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member