Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A victim has to be willing only to accept ONE ride, not necessarily ride after ride as some sort of 'lifestyle' choice. I have, in emergencies, accepted rides on three separate occasions. The *last* vehicle I got in will be my last. I won't go into it, but never again, & I do not fit any high risk profile; just the opposite. I could have been Mollie in the rain in a small town. All it takes is once.

Dear feralwriter,

I appreciate your posts, especially your insight.

From what I understand about Mollie, I believe she could have accepted a ride in the rain but only because she knew the person, even not very well, but knew the person.

I can't see her getting into a car with a stranger - but that's just my thought.

Then again, the authorities are considering all possibilities.

Welcome!

I think we determined early on that Uber or Lyft didn't routinely work in Brooklyn - and also that her mom's house was close enough to walk to if needed.

As to the lack of information from LE, this case is more buttoned up than others I've followed but they are all different.

This is farm country. No cabs and highly doubt Uber. I had a bicycle in the farm growing up. Not many options.

I can even understand, especially with dogs present, forgetting to lock doors. It’s peaceful in tiny rural farming communities. Wake up in the morning to roosters in the distance or next door. The nearest neighbor might be 1/2 mike away. There is nothing to make you fear a monster watching you. A monster planning to take you away from all things you know to be good.

Last edited:
If she disappeared while out on a run we also have to consider a potential health-related issue that caused her disappearance. Sometimes athletes - even young ones - have underlying coronary and other issues that they and their physicians are unaware of, are often congenital, and can manifest under load.

JMO.

Her VSCO and Instagram and FB (IIRC) were all open to the public. There was no need for someone to come and stalk her in person to gain, very personal info that could have led to her abduction. All they had to do was comb through her social media to learn her routines. From her Twitter alone, without even logging in, you are able to learn:
  • Full Name
  • School
  • Class schedule
  • Her mom's exact address
  • The full names of several friends
  • The fact that her boyfriend leaves for long periods of time
  • Her political views
  • The fact that she's a runner
  • and more...
She could have been being stalked, remotely, for quite a while without ever even being aware of it. SM can be like an "All Access Pass" to a persons life, habits, friends, family, hobbies, hangouts, personal weaknesses ect...
(If anything, this case should be a teaching moment to set your SM to friends and only add those whom you trust.)
I thought the exact same thing about her social media. Too much info given out! I do think the “pinned tweet” of hers on Twitter is more than a coincidence though. For those not familiar, it was a screenshot of a text she sent to her boyfriend I believe. And it said how she was in the library and she was approached by a cop who asked if the pink coat on a nearby chair was hers, and if she had just gotten off a bus wearing it. And she said yes. And the cop said that someone called her in as a missing person (a ten year old). I don’t know—I think there is more to this tweet/incident. I think she was being watched by someone, and they could have been on the “fringe”. The “fringe” being someone not in her inner circle but a friend of a friend, a possible aquantance.

If she disappeared while out on a run we also have to consider a potential health-related issue that caused her disappearance. Sometimes athletes - even young ones - have underlying coronary and other issues that they and their physicians are unaware of, are often congenital, and can manifest under load.

JMO.
I agree this is a possibility, until we know more, but it seems to me it's only a slim possibility since the body hasn't been easily discoverable. She'd have to have experienced an unknown health emergency AND have been in a place or gotten into a situation where no one could find her.

JMO.

It's my belief that, if this were the case, she wouldn't be missing. She would have been found exactly where said medical episode took place.

I don't think this is an abduction. I think it was a stranger attack in a secluded area while she was out running. There have been several instances of these types of attacks on women runners in the summer months in secluded areas. Her body may have been moved after the attack. I really hope I'm wrong.

This makes sense.

She approached outside by someone who stalks women. Things went wrong, and she succumbed to the attacker. If he knew the area well, 'evidence' could be hidden in fast moving rivers, ponds, bogs, corn cribs, fields, ditches. And he likely ditched phones etc. Fitbit? Possible beacon but that would have been fruitful by now.

Any way to search via air? Infra-red cameras?

Last edited:
I believe this was sexually motivated crime. My gut feeling is stalking. This feels like a predator who knew her daily routine. I think the predator is sexually pleasured by the hunt. I think they could even prolong the pursuit because it gives them such such a glorious high a feeling of being a master of the universe.

When they finally decide to go in for the kill it is the secret fullfillment of their darkest need to achieve the ultimate trophy.

Who the predictor is I do not know but I will tell you the biggest clue at least for me is the second search at the pig farm. The second search did not happen just because the FBI didn't have anything better to do than kick their heels and expend numerous man-hours crawling around on the ground in the heat at an Iowa pig farm.

Just My Opinion

I get a hinky feeling kind of like in the Holly Bobo abduction.

I agree this is a possibility, until we know more, but it seems to me it's only a slim possibility since the body hasn't been easily discoverable. She'd have to have experienced an unknown health emergency AND have been in a place or gotten into a situation where no one could find her.

True, but the likelihood that she would've dropped right where she was if a sudden event occurred is also only slim to moderate. There is also a reasonable chance she would have become a bit disoriented first, even panicked, and lost her bearings. Struggled, if you will, and perhaps veered substantially off course (off the road).

For the record, this is not where I am leaning. Just think it is a possibility.

JMO.

Lots of great discussion here and theories that could explain what happened. However, the more that comes out I sadly think that Occam's Razor will end up applying here. The scenario that makes the least number of assumptions is that MT went for her evening run, someone with very bad intentions either was following or saw her, abducted her and that's that. My only two real unanswered questions at this point are:

1) - Did she know her abductor or did her abductor know her? Was this someone familiar to her that she'd be comfortable with and maybe even approach their vehicle or was she really just plucked off the street? Or was this a true random crime of opportunity?

2) - Is MT being held captive or has she been murdered? Cannot tell you how much I'm hoping for the former but Occam's Razor again brings me to the latter. :(

JMO.
If that were the case I think she would have been found by now.

I believe DJ stated Mollie's ear buds were Bluetooth. It's so hard to believe that, in what was almost certainly a struggle (unless she was subdued immediately, of course), one (or both) of those ear buds didn't fall out. Though it's entirely possible that one (or both) DID fall out and either the attacker noticed (and grabbed it/them), or it/them simply haven't been discovered considering their small size.

LE has never confirmed this .But, a neighbor (quoted above) and Mollie's brother have both suggested they learned this information from LE.
This issue of returning home has consumed hours of debate on this site! It is still much discussed due to lack of information. Based on DM article its appears her Mom doesn't think she returned to BF house after run and her jogging clothes have not been found (wonder if the shirt found by Nature Preserve could have been the jogging shirt that was described in the posters as 'pink' when in fact it was red vs. the camp logo red tee that is also much discussed on here?). The early question from LE to her Mom about 'was MT in a house at 945 pm' is another point of discussion as is where the SC photo to BF was taken (makes some sense that she sent SC around 945 pm and BF opened around 10 pm). The MSM reports about LE taking pictures of house interior at one of the pig farms was another source of debate as was the evening/late night (been reported both ways I believe) homework as maybe this was where the SC photo was taken (pure speculation though!). Tough pieces to put together at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Iowa Department of Public Safety Missing Person Information Clearinghouse:

Missing Persons

bbm

Mollie Tibbetts was reported missing to the Poweshiek County SO, in Montezuma on Jul 18, 2018.

July 18?

I'm now convinced MT never made it home after her jog on July 18. I believe MT was abducted while jogging her way back to the BF's brother's house. One might think more than one person was involved given that MT is athletic but if a perp wielded a firearm one perp would be enough.

JMO.

It’s one of the very first things family and LE would have checked. Accidents, hospitals and morgues. Imo

Here's a question that's been rolling around in my brain that I'll throw out to hear your opinions.

First, I KNOW this is NOT likely...

But I've been wondering about what type of credible reason Mollie's family and LE may have (besides wishful thinking) to believe Mollie is alive. What if (again, small chance) at some point in the days that followed her disappearance, someone even momentarily turned her phone back on and it synced with her FitBit.

This would open up the possibility that Mollie had left with an acquaintance who may be holding her (think obsessive, fixating, wanting to keep her for himself), but is not treating her violently. It could also open the possibility that Mollie (at least early on) was a willing participant...going out for the night, taking off for a day or two, etc.

Again, I think she's been abducted or manipulated into leaving by an acquaintance. I don't think it's LIKELY the phone or Fitbit have given off data since her disappeance, but wondering if you see any reason to think it's possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauriedries23456!