Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot remember the members name . She has been on the boards for quite a few years. I believe she posted in stislicki thread and she nailed the outcome of Toni Anderson case. Would love to hear her thoughts on this one. I wish I could remember her name... was she an author?? Anyone remember ?

I believe DJ stated Mollie's ear buds were Bluetooth. It's so hard to believe that, in what was almost certainly a struggle (unless she was subdued immediately, of course), one (or both) of those ear buds didn't fall out. Though it's entirely possible that one (or both) DID fall out and either the attacker noticed (and grabbed it/them), or it/them simply haven't been discovered considering their small size.
That's a good point. It adds another bit of plausibility into the "person she knows well enough to not be afraid of" theory, IMO.

From what I gather, the dogs would be put in the basement when no one was home. Is it likely that they were put in the basement when she went for her run? Yes.

A WSr above posted a Daily Mail article synopsis that Mollie's mom had stated that both red work shirts were at her house, meaning none are missing. So, this changes my mind about her having disappeared in the morning after waking and dressing for the day.

Mollie allegedly did some work on a school assignment on the evening she disappeared. Is it possible that she did this work from somewhere other than home? Would she need her own computer to do this work or could it be done by logging into a school network from any computer or even her phone? The SC showed her to be inside, maybe she was in someone else's house?

I cannot remember the members name . She has been on the boards for quite a few years. I believe she posted in stislicki thread and she nailed the outcome of Toni Anderson case. Would love to hear her thoughts on this one. I wish I could remember her name... was she an author?? Anyone remember ?
Sorry I don't despite being very active on Dani's thread.

This makes sense.

She approached outside by someone who stalks women. Things went wrong, and she succumbed to the attacker. If he knew the area well, 'evidence' could be hidden in fast moving rivers, ponds, bogs, corn cribs, fields, ditches. And he likely ditched phones etc. Fitbit? Possible beacon but that would have been fruitful by now.

Any way to search via air? Infra-red cameras?

Several press outlets indicate air searches. Infrared at this point will be limited. I think their looking for a body. I’m sad for everyone involved and hope I never experience this type of situation.

I am thinking that the authorities have not shown evidence whether she was taken during the night run or the next morning because they don't want the perp to know what they know.

Given that the l.e. would have all of the data from Mollie's cell, computer and Fitbit, along with the cell dump from towers in that area, they must have a substantial amount of evidence.

Also, having combed through the house, there must be evidence of Mollie having not returned from her evening run. Even the detail possibly her large water bottle that she took to work is missing.(This is pure speculation on my part! I just know that I take a large water bottle to work. Never to walk (I don't jog) but certainly to work. Just a thought of mine)

There is a reason that they are withholding all of this information that they deem to be "vital" to their investigation.

I think (and greatly hope) that they will solve this soon.

Last edited:
I'll bite. I believe her digital footprint led LE there. That doesn't necessarily mean she was/is there, however. Her fitbit or phone could have been tossed there.

But you're right, there aren't that many scenarios that would warrant a search there.
These are my thoughts too, that along with the shirt possibly being discovered and triggering more searching of the area. JMO

Here's a question that's been rolling around in my brain that I'll throw out to hear your opinions.

First, I KNOW this is NOT likely...

But I've been wondering about what type of credible reason Mollie's family and LE may have (besides wishful thinking) to believe Mollie is alive. What if (again, small chance) at some point in the days that followed her disappearance, someone even momentarily turned her phone back on and it synced with her FitBit.

This would open up the possibility that Mollie had left with an acquaintance who may be holding her (think obsessive, fixating, wanting to keep her for himself), but is not treating her violently. It could also open the possibility that Mollie (at least early on) was a willing participant...going out for the night, taking off for a day or two, etc.

Again, I think she's been abducted or manipulated into leaving by an acquaintance. I don't think it's LIKELY the phone or Fitbit have given off data since her disappeance, but wondering if you see any reason to think it's possible?
I am *hoping* this is the case, although I agree that it is highly unlikely, because it would mean she could still be alive. I don't think she even would have been ok with taking off for a day or two given everything she had going on and her character/ personality, but maybe for a quick ride.

I can see the thing about her phone being turned on momentarily, too.

Again, agree it's unlikely but I do think it's possible.

Have LE ruled out their assertion that they believed she made it home after her 7:30 run and worked on homework until late evening?

I don’t remember LE asserting this. I only remember others saying that LE told them this, but LE refused to confirm or deny. They also (last PC) maintained that she was wearing jogging clothes. Then mom said she found both red tee shirts in her room. I’m really not sure about this detail as I once was.

Going over just who LE has probably looked into or interviewed. Mollie's family..dad, mom, brothers, cousins. Residents of the home she is staying in plus their brothers, sisters, family. Neighbors. Electric Workers next door. Workers at the bf's brothers const. company. Town friends. College friends. FB friends. People she worked with. Anybody else you can think of?
A male stranger. Same as the persons responsible for the crimes against female runners Karina Vetrano in NY and Vanessa Marcotte in Mass.

IMO, it is a logical conclusion that the reason LE has conducted multiple searches in/around the hog farm is because that is the last known location of her digital footprint, i.e., Fitbit, phone, or both. MOO, that means one of two things: either the phone/Fitbit were tossed there or MT was there. *ETA: LE will also know the time her devices registered as being at that location. Do we know if LE has questioned neighbors in that area re: whether or not they saw MT running/walking past that evening?

Doesn't it often take quite a long time to obtain digital data via warrant? There are a few cases I can recall where folks assumed LE had the data early on only to find out at trial that it sometimes took months to get.

LE keeps saying they are confident that the data will provide clues and potential answers, so they may not have access to it - or all of it - as yet. JMO.

Why do you think LC gave the interview with her thoughts?
I've wondered if my child were missing and LE was calling all the shots and telling me I needed to keep quiet with what I knew or thought, I might have a hard time. I'm pretty strong willed and would kill for my children so I just might decide to not go along with LE tactics if I felt it might be hurting finding my child's finding.

Dear feralwriter,

I appreciate your posts, especially your insight.

From what I understand about Mollie, I believe she could have accepted a ride in the rain but only because she knew the person, even not very well, but knew the person.

I can't see her getting into a car with a stranger - but that's just my thought.

Then again, the authorities are considering all possibilities.

Thanks, zencompass. Could be various people are bulletproof in terms of taking rides....

I guess what I'm getting at is the fact it only takes one instance of the activity or behavior that puts one in a high risk category. If this was the scenario, I am NOT victim-blaming. I have taken rides, even from strangers. Responsibility for violence is always in the hands of any perpetrator.

In a small town, the taking-a-ride possibility substantially increases. They pull up, they use your name, they smile, they say they know so & so, or don't you remember we met at so & so's party? And the person standing there might be super tired, or have to pee, or need to get home & do a ton of homework, or have been gone a long time & know the dogs have to be let out, etc., and oh jeez, they have to wake up dreadfully early. Truth is, we won't know until we know the exact circumstances, if we do.

I don’t like to jog with my phone simply because of the weight. I think it’s better to run with it though in case something bad happens and you need help. That’s especially true if you are a female and jogging in an isolated area. I think the fact that she may have had her phone with her may lead to evidence that could be a huge lead in this case.
I always bring my phone on my runs because I have more than one app tracking my mileage, time-splits, etc. I wear a snug neoprene pouch around my waist that doesn't bounce around. I do listen to music at a very low volume so I can hear what is going on around me. I used to run on desolate trails but now I tend to run on paths that are well used in the neighborhood. For safety reason I would never run without my phone.

This isn't an easily solved disappearance. So unusual circumstances need to be considered.

Brooklyn isn't far off I-80. Could have been an I-80 stranger. That however sounds bizarre. Very small statistical chance.

The other I-80 connection actually happens 'alot'. A Perp uses I-80 to dispose of a body. Google that possibility and you will see how frequently perps use I-80 to hide evidence. There was a case of a father in law in Vegas dumping a body along I-80 a few years ago, one of many.

I am going to hypothesize this: A non-blood relative or acquaintance forced himself on her. Threw phone and other items out in a field. Then used I-80 at night or when traffic is lower. Evidence is miles (even hundreds of miles) away.

I am *hoping* this is the case, although I agree that it is highly unlikely, because it would mean she could still be alive. I don't think she even would have been ok with taking off for a day or two given everything she had going on and her character/ personality, but maybe for a quick ride.

I can see the thing about her phone being turned on momentarily, too.

Again, agree it's unlikely but I do think it's possible.
Yep. I think you and I think very similarly about this case. I, too, don't feel like her history gives us reason to think she left on purpose and would be willing to do this to her family. The only thing that opens up a slim window of possibility on a short trip, in my mind, is that maybe the 3 hour convo with her dad did revolve around some stress she was experiencing. And when I was a waitress in high school and my first two years of college, I do remember a few people being willing to take a "no call, no show" and risking being fired just because they were stressed out and needed a break.

Again, I don't think this is consistent with her behavior OR LIKELY, but I think it'd be interesting to know more about the day care where she worked. Is it owned or run by a family friend or local person she's known her whole life. Is it well staffed and, as a college summer helper, she knows she was just an "extra hand" and not critically important to daily operation?

I don't think there's any known public reason so far to think that Mollie would leave irresponsibly on her own accord...but I'm spinning things in my mind to imagine if there is any scenario where a person like Mollie (or myself even) might do something out of the ordinary.

I don’t remember LE asserting this. I only remember others saying that LE told them this, but LE refused to confirm or deny. They also (last PC) maintained that she was wearing jogging clothes. Then mom said she found both red tee shirts in her room. I’m really not sure about this detail as I once was.

I wonder if Mollie's bf can remember what clothing she was wearing in the snapchat photo. ie. jogging outfit or work clothing or pjs or regular clothing? Although the timeing of the snapchat is unknown, based on the clothing one might be able to determine if she sent it as soon as she got to his house (around 5:30pm) or closer to the time he opened it (around 10:30pm).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme