Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding being described as a creature of habit, in The Gazette (which now requires a paid subscription) her mom, Laura Calderwood states that that she did not have a specific route. "She liked to mix it up."
I can see the Gazette articles without a subscription try clearing you browser history.

The entire quote: "It's totally speculation on my part, but I think Mollie is with someone that she knows, that is in over their head," Rob Tibbetts said. "That there was some kind of misunderstanding about the nature of their relationship and at this point they don't know how to get out from under this."

Wow.

If the person who has her is reading this—and I keep seeing a lot of this info on other sites so it would not surprise me—and she is still alive—those who are way more experienced than I am—what should he do? How can he let her go? And “he cant” is not the right answer. Had anyone dealt with this before? This may be a dumb question to ask but maybe some of you can help.

I think the answer is that he can't get away with it 100% but the punishment for returning a person unharmed or even just alive is going to be A LOT less than the punishment for kidnapping and murder. Either way, I feel he'll be caught so it's in his best interest to return her alive.

If dad thinks she got in the car with someone she knows and didn't realize his intent - could it be a parent of one of the day care kids? Someone she would know but never expect them to have an interest in her. Just thinking that a parent would be intimidating to her - she would probably be uncomfortable but not scared. Just my opinion
This is my theory.

It just might. Early vibes I felt during the first LE presser fuels that thought but, it goes against what we think we know about MT and her relationships with family, DJ and friends. Happy, caring, silly; it seems many people simply enjoyed being around her and it makes one wonder what in her life would make her want to leave such a Utopian-like experience?

The Lindsey Piccone case comes to mind.

"Super Mom" Sheri Papini with her amazing bio as a loving mom and devoted wife. We never really know what goes on behind the scenes, do we?

No problem.. meaning why hasn't FBI and LE been able to question him/search/investigate 1-2 times... we are on to # 3 now ??? Like he has outsmarted everyone while he continues to be compliant with their requests and continues to give interviews and talk to the press freely. While the Father is saying it could have been a known person she got into the car with?? Doesn't seems like the father's statements are parallel with LE and their statements to the public.

You know investigations aren't like tv. It can take a long time to question or get info from a witness or suspect. Some may say they can only talk for a bit because they feel sick or are busy with work. Sometimes the specter of continuing to come back, letting them sit and think in between times, puts enough pressure on a suspect such that they crack. Sometimes LE is just following up on info analyzed and will have additional information.

Investigations aren't magic. Repeatedly interviewing someone doesn't mean that the person has "outsmarted" LE. Hell, that a person is willing to continually talk to LE is a gift to them. And they're going to take advantage of that.

So a question for those who are in the camp that a PC that answers no questions is fine (I’m not sure how I feel at this point so I don’t consider it bad. I just don’t know if I consider it good/useful.).

What about the case could be compromised about confirming they suspect foul play? That’s the one thing that keeps me from being 100% in the camp that LE is doing this to protect the investigation. They won’t even say that. To me ‘this is out of character’ is not the same thing. Sure the volume of resources pretty much answers the question but then why the heck not just answer the question? What am I missing about the ramifications of answering at least that question.

If they are trying to make a perp feel comfortable and that they aren't looking to charge him or her with anything, then they may not say "foul play". That is a loaded term psychologically speaking. I've seen several "interrogations" where they convince the perp that they're on their side, that things can happen "accidentally", that they know the person didn't mean to do anything wrong, etc. Using the words "foul play" can ruin that flow.

Here is where I respectfully disagree too. While I don't believe the public has a right to know their work building a case I do believe the public has a right to know progress made finding the missing person, exactly how that part of the work was organized, who was in charge, progress reports, and notification of anything LE needs from any of us to help them be successful.

I can't look at any MISSING PERSON case and look past the MISSING PERSON, just can't do it

The public has ZERO right to interfere with any ongoing case including by demanding
information about the investigation. ANY information.

The public has zero right to any such information, no matter how strongly people think they are entitled to it.

If citizens of the state are unsatisfied with how local law enforcement conducts its investigations, their power lies in voting.

Beautiful girl. Looks like a case of domestic violence.

Iowa Body Found Was Sadie Alvarado, Not Mollie Tibbetts | Heavy.com

For me it’s got nothing to do with “hope”, I came here looking to find who snatched and killed Mollie - but now it’s painfully obvious that she simply put the dogs away and left. She didn’t have a car, she left with someone that did. Someone she knows. Someone she was expecting and she put the dogs away when they got there. I’m absolutely convinced of that much, not a single piece of evidence even suggests otherwise.

But that opens a whole new set of questions: when did she leave? Who did she leave with? When did she plan to return? Was this just an overnighter and she intended to be dropped off at her car in the morning? Is it as her father suggests, somebody misread the intentions and now she’s held against her will? Is she now missing because she doesn’t want to be found?

While I agree the best answer is that she put the dogs away, that doesn't mean she left in a car or even with someone she knows. It is still a distinct possibility that she headed out to go over to her mom's for dinner. None of the evidence after 7:30 is conclusive IMO. I am hoping the father is right, and she will come home. But I don't think we have enough info to absolutely limit this to one possible scenario.

Still sticking with the thought that she met someone on an app like Bumble and they catfished her. This person lead her to believe they were someone totally different and startled her in the middle of the night. If they did in fact show up in the middle of the night they may have text saying they were there so she put the dogs downstairs so they wouldn’t bark or jump on said person. She may even have left her glasses or contacts. When I’m startled mid sleep I do not put my glasses or contacts on.

When she realized they weren’t who she originally thought it was too late. They probably had a knife or gun or something and took her. I’m willing to bet the person is mentally ill like most people who catfish are and believe Mollie truly cares for them even though they aren’t who she originally thought.

If this is the case hopefully this person cares enough about her to not harm her.

Please don't create a narrative that the person who possibly took her is mentally ill. There is enough of a stigma around mental illness, and I don't think it's fair to put a label on or associate this possible act with those words just yet. We still do not know if someone actually took her, or if she voluntarily left, just as we don't know if she is alive or passed.

If it turns out someone took her, and LE catch him/her and it's determined that person is mentally ill, then ok, but until then, let's not create a false narrative and group this into mental illness. There are lots of mental illnesses and millions who fit into the definition of "mentally ill" and most of those people don't kidnap/murder someone.

This can't just be coming from a place of hope inside her dad. This has to be based off something, it's way too specific and detailed. Perhaps something she shared with him during their 3 hour phone conversation...
I don't know, it's something a lot of posters here have suggested and we have no details pretty much.

I agree on it possibly being nothing, but in a town of less than 1500 people, I would guess there are not many burglaries - so to have a burglary and a possible abduction in the same week would be very rare. I think it's coincidental enough to try to dig into farther.
Hard to say, they have a bunch of disturbance and property damage items on the public logs. It's hard to know what is close without looking up the specific address though.

Regarding being described as a creature of habit, in The Gazette (which now requires a paid subscription) her mom, Laura Calderwood states that that she did not have a specific route. "She liked to mix it up."
I took this to mean she switched up between a few known/ common routes but who knows...

I think he's using "they" as a gender-neutral singular pronoun for the other person, not plural for the other person and Mollie. JMO.

I just threw out 5 as a rough number, I agree that I think it was later. She did only say, "OK" to dinner, but she was expected to make a dessert to take to work with her, and had her mom by the ingredients. So it seems likely she was expected to show up there at some point. And it seems like the usual routine was that she would show up to get the car. So I think during that series of conversation she would have mentioned not needing to get the car, had she made a plan prior to the discussion of dinner. So I think it would be fairly easy to research who she planned to have pick her up, if that is the case.
Not so simple if she was planning to walk over there.

It is interesting to hear Mr Tibbetts say perhaps Mollie voluntarily got into a vehicle with someone she knew.

It reminds me of the earliest new articles asking the public in Utah to be on the lookout for her.

"IRON COUNTY, Utah — Police in southern Utah are asking the public to be on the lookout for a missing Iowa woman who they say has family connections in southern Utah."

"The Iron County Sheriff’s Office says they don’t know if Tibbetts is in Utah but they say she has family connections in Southern Utah, and they ask anyone who sees the woman to call their local police agency."

JULY 23, 2018
Police in southern Utah ask residents to be on lookout for missing Iowa woman

This also gives credence to the possibility that it is a voluntary absence. Utah seems random - making me wonder if her online data led there. I hope her dad is correct.
But what kind of relative doesn’t call the rest of the family to say, “yeah, she’s here”.

Well, I could understand a parent wanting, having to believe that scenario.

That person doesn’t want $200,000 - or is it near $300,000?

Yes, he did say this in his 2nd or 3rd interview on MSM
It sounds to me like he’s thought this from the beginning. That doesn’t make it true, but it is interesting. Her mom clearly believes she was abducted with no component voluntary since she doesn’t think she made it home from her run.

Please don't create a narrative that the person who possibly took her is mentally ill. There is enough of a stigma around mental illness, and I don't think it's fair to put a label on or associate this possible act with those words just yet. We still do not know if someone actually took her, or if she voluntarily left, just as we don't know if she is alive or passed.

If it turns out someone took her, and LE catch him/her and it's determined that person is mentally ill, then ok, but until then, let's not create a false narrative and group this into mental illness. There are lots of mental illnesses and millions who fit into the definition of "mentally ill" and most of those people don't kidnap/murder someone.

Agree. There is a large misconception of mental illness and most violent offenders are not actually mentally ill (assuming an act of violence occurred). The most common characteristic is a childhood trauma history, particularly exposure to domestic violence. That is not the same as mental illness. JMO

"It's totally speculation on my part, but I think Mollie is with someone that she knows, that is in over their head," Rob Tibbetts said. "That there was some kind of misunderstanding about the nature of their relationship and at this point they don't know how to get out from under this."

This could be something real that dad knows or suspects. Or, this could just be one of the few scenarios in his mind over which he might be able to exert any small amount of influence (and also one of the scenarios in which MT could still be alive), and so he's putting it out there, just in case.
Sounds like dad is saying to the perp: if this is the case-- it's not too late to return Mollie alive, and chalk this up to a big misunderstanding that got out of control.

Of course, my hope is that dad's right and my hope is that Mollie is returned alive and safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lisacfuller