Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the phone goes off, the fitbit can keep collecting data (for something like 30 days IIRC, though not in this case because the fitbit's battery would need recharging). The fitbit can't transmit its data without the phone, but it can still collect it and store it.

But that data would be "trapped" in the fitbit until it could sync to her account again (or until LE finds the fitbit and brings it to the fitbit company to access the data).

Example: let's say you go camping for 2 weeks and you have no cell service, or forget your phone at home, but you somehow have a way to charge up your fitbit every few days -- a friend with an RV with power, perhaps. Your friends at home think you've fallen off the face of the earth because your accumulated steps (mine shows a running total of the last 7 days worth) dwindle to zero. But once you get back into cell range, or home to your phone or laptop, wherever your fitbit account lives, it syncs and suddenly they see all the steps you took on all your hikes the last 2 weeks.

Auntie Cipation, thanks now I understand it better. So once the phone goes off (either gets turned off or destroyed) the Fitbit would no longer work at least so that LE would be able to see it working (or see anything). LE would only see the Fitbit tracking (pretty much just showing Mollie running or staying still) as long as the phone is still working. So if the phone was destroyed or turned off at WC's property than it would not sync anymore with the Fitbit. Then at that location it would show that was the last place the phone pinged. LE would also know then that was the last place the Fitbit tracking Mollie (I am guessing it would have stopped after that). So that gives me a better understanding of the Fitbit. And there would be NO WAY they could track the Fitbit anymore UNLESS the phone was turned back on or the Fitbit was charged somewhere. But even then they would not get the information from the Fitbit UNTIL the phone synced with the Fitbit again. Even so the Fitbit doesn't give much information (it would just show if Mollie was standing still or moving). And if the phone is turned off and destroyed they could not know Mollie's location because they would not be able to get a ping. But then also pings are not always accurate anyway because a ping just gives a roundabout location based on the cell tower.

Last edited:
I'm uploading these last two without much comment. This is another pass through Brooklyn looking more specifically at residential streets and possible jogging routes.

Many, many thanks for the wonderful tours of Brooklyn! You are indeed a gentleman and a scholar. Not to mention, a good driver.

It is an amazing thing to get this close to the areas Mollie knew well. Now I, and many other WSer's on this case will be forever spoiled since we now have an amazing dimension of where things began for our Mollie and those who loved her.
Kind regards to your daughter!

PS - I have never seen so much corn in my whole life.

so I haven't decided how much I am willing to post on public about tech and how I know. at the very least I am sure site owner can see my ip, but can anyone public see it here?
Yes, lurkers are unfortunately allowed here which makes me quite uncomfortable and why I probably won't be here after this case. Don't post if you feel uncomfortable and there are some free VPN's out there that will mask your ip if that would make you feel more comfortable.

To those who are amazed at the amount of corn in the Brooklyn area, as I was -- some facts about corn production. This is not a joke -- I wanted to know. My DH spent some time in IOWA when his dad was at Iowa State Univ. getting his Soil Science Ph.D.
So know I know, and it makes me proud of the US and especially Iowa.

Who produces the most corn in the world?
The crop especially proliferates in the Midwestern Region of the United States, from where some of the world's greatest yields are sourced.

• Argentina (40.0 million metric tons) ...
  • India (42.3 million metric tons) ...
  • Brazil (83.0 million metric tons) ...
  • China (224.9 million metric tons) ...
  • USA (377.5 million metric tons) [my emphasis] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Iowa produced the most corn in the United States in 2016 followed by Illinois & Nebraska. Iowa and Illinois both produced over 2 billion bushels in 2016. Four states produced over 1 billion bushels of corn in 2016: Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, & Minnesota.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&q=Where+is+most+of+the+corn+grown+in+the+US?&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjbva7v7-jcAhVkUd8KHbhMBzQQzmd6BAgHEBM&biw=1166&bih=652

Last edited:
Crime in Brooklyn, Iowa
Crime is ranked on a scale of 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)

Brooklyn violent crime is 45.8. (The US average is 31.1)
Brooklyn property crime is 43.8. (The US average is 38.1) Brooklyn, Iowa Crime
Wow, that is amazingly high for a small town. Actually the violent crime rate there is shocking to me.

It's highly possible she showered and washed the clothing to wear the next day.
So her mother said that was NOT her red shirt that was found. She said Mollie's 2 red shirts for work were in her bedroom, so she HAD to get to her mother's that night. I believe she jogged there and was picked up along the way by someone she knew.
so I haven't decided how much I am willing to post on public about tech and how I know. at the very least I am sure site owner can see my ip, but can anyone public see it here?
I cant see your IP but don't post anything that can get you in trouble.

Last edited:
The problem with that is that the dogs were still locked up in the basement. They were apparently protective dogs so they were a possible threat to anyone they were not familiar with coming in the house. The dogs were only put in the basement when no one was home. Also there was no sign of a struggle.
IMHO Mollie was taken from the area very close to her boyfriend's home. That house is somewhat isolated so that seems to me to be the most vulnerable spot. I just don't believe she ever made it back inside because of the dogs, and because there was no real sign that she ever made it back there.

She could have released the dogs on her return and then confined them again when she left the house either later that evening or in the morning.

Yes, lurkers are unfortunately allowed here which makes me quite uncomfortable and why I probably won't be here after this case. Don't post if you feel uncomfortable and there are some free VPN's out there that will mask your ip if that would make you feel more comfortable.
I think I will just leave it alone. other than maybe risking myself I could say too much and someone understand how to misuse too.

The arrest and subsequent dismissal of a student for sexual harassment and assault at University of Iowa. Sorry, I forget sometimes how fast this forum moves. :)
Iowa student accused of harassing dozens of women in viral tweet no longer enrolled at UI

I've seen numerous people post this so this isn't directed at you Mom24, but why does everyone think he was arrested? The article only says he was kicked out of school. Is there an article about the arrest? Or a record from LE that I could look up? Thanks!

That article was early into the investigation and prior to the Fitbit and cell phone data being retrieved. DC, the neighbor of DJ and BJ, stated that the FBI said that according to her Fitbit data, she went past his home later that evening. JT stated LE told him she used her computer around 10 PM.

One correction - no time was given when she was doing homework.

New details provide insight into night Mollie Tibbetts was last seen
Family members told KCCI on Saturday that evidence shows she was doing homework on her computer late in the evening on July 18. Authorities declined to release a specific time, saying it could hinder the investigation.

Last edited:

But lurkers certainly can't see your ip number, (unless they have the type of amazing hacking skills that they really should use on something that pays better...)

And that last parenthetical comment is meant to be a joke.

Last edited:
Crime in Brooklyn, Iowa
Crime is ranked on a scale of 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)

Brooklyn violent crime is 45.8. (The US average is 31.1)
Brooklyn property crime is 43.8. (The US average is 38.1) Brooklyn, Iowa Crime

Where does this website get its statistics from? I don't think this is accurate at all. Each town, county, & state have their own reporting rules. I think there are nation-wide statistics released by the DOJ that breakdown by state and county but I can't remember where I found them in the past.

No.

One correction - no time was given when she was doing homework.

New details provide insight into night Mollie Tibbetts was last seen
Family members told KCCI on Saturday that evidence shows she was doing homework on her computer late in the evening on July 18. Authorities declined to release a specific time, saying it could hinder the investigation.

Actually, JT did state the 10 PM time. I read it again yesterday but not sure which article. I do recall it being in several articles I've read, though.

This is the defense lawyer in me kicking in but I would not post anything that you think could get you in trouble in any way with your job, if that's what you mean. Your IP and location information isn't public but if its known to the site owner it could always be subpoenaed.

I do not think so.

I went looking for a fire log for Brooklyn but didn't find it on the official town webpage. I am going to search FB to see the information might be there.

I’m fairly certian the fire calls are on the Powesheik County Sherrif Department logs. The responding agency column indicates who responded. BFD = Brooklyn Fire Department (see 8/6/18 log for an example).

Last edited:
Actually, JT did state the 10 PM time. I read it again yesterday but not sure which article. I do recall it being in several articles I've read, though.

I would be very interested in seeing one, because we debated for pages and pages what everyone considered "late evening." This is the first time I've seen an actual time mentioned. Do you remember if it was Fox, ABC, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1